Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6647577,00.html

Noring set for Fulham trial

In-demand keeper looking for January move

By Richard Torgerson   

Last updated: 9th January 2011   

Noring: Trial at Craven Cottage

Fulham will offer a trial to young Swedish keeper Viktor Noring according to officials at Trelleborg.

With Noring's contract set to expire later this year, there is some pressure to make a move happen during the January window.

The keeper will reportedly sign a new deal at Trelleborg if he cannot complete a move, with a number of clubs said to be interested.

The Swede is set to fly to England on Monday to meet up with Mark Hughes and his Fulham side with the full support of Trelleborg chairman Per-Anders Abrahamsson.

"I think that Viktor is unique, an exception in today's football. I have never met a player that is so mature for his age," Abrahamsson told Fotbolldirekt.

"They want him over on try out and of course we can't say no to that. There are loads of clubs that have been here looking and that have contacted us, but Fulham are the only team that have been in direct contact with us.

"Viktor has said that it's going to cost if he is to leave, he won't leave us hanging."

White Noise

FA Cup Draw

Sunday 9th January 2011

Following Fulham's victory over Peterborough United at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon, the Whites have been drawn at home against Tottenham in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup sponsored by E.ON.

Draw in full

Sheffield Wednesday v Wycombe/Hereford
West Ham v Nottingham Forest
Aston Villa v Blackburn
Stevenage v Reading
Notts County v Leicester/Man City
Doncaster/Wolves v Stoke/Cardiff
Birmingham v Coventry
Burnley v Burton
Swansea v Leyton Orient
Southampton v Manchester United
Everton v Chelsea/Ipswich
Fulham v Tottenham
Arsenal/Leeds v Huddersfield
Bolton v Wigan
Watford v Brighton
Torquay United v Crawley Town/Derby

Matches to be played over the weekend of 29-30 January. Confirmation of the fixture date, kick-off time and ticket details will follow.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/FACupDraw.aspx#ixzz1AcB4Sryp

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/01/super_six_starts_road_to_wembl.php

Super 6 on Road to Wembley, Now for Spurs

Posted by Phil Mison 15 hours, 20 minutes ago

© Getty Images

A fine all-round performance ensures there's no Cup shock against plucky Posh. Another home draw sets up a mouth-watering clash with Spurs in Round 4.
And boy do we owe them one! But let's begin by saluting the side for their convincing demolition of Peterborough. The day's top scorers with six and a first hat-trick in English football for Dio Kamara. No fewer than NINE goals inside 5 days after near-terminal misery in the run up to Christmas - well done to the players, and full marks to the manager for improving the balance of the side.

So what's changed? Let's take a reality check first and not get carried away by big wins over injury-ravaged West Brom and a side two divisions below us. But real signs of a sea change have started to appear alongside the first green shoots of spring. It started with both Paintsil and Baird returning to stabilise the back four. It's now the unit that Hodgson schooled to such impressive levels last year, with added goals from defenders for good measure - Paintsil the only one to miss out in the last fortnight (and let's face it, John's never looked good for a goal).

Duff has come back and game on game stepped up to approach the hunger and penetration of last season. He gave Peterborough the runaround and was desperately unlucky not to score.
Etuhu, hopeless before Christmas, turned up at Spurs, made Simon's opener on Tuesday and converted a fine first-time shot from the edge of the box yesterday.

As for our lone wolf up front. Were you watching, yes, I'm talking to you AJ & Eddie. I felt there was something more to his game Tuesday night, remember that early shot on the turn? Yes, he can seem infuriatingly casual, but that was a clinical and unfussy striker's hat-trick. Call him Fulham's Berbatov. Full marks Joe, will he now go on to convince Hughes he's the natural partner for Bobby? By the way, the TV highlights in no way gives a true reflection of a pulsating tie. We came close to hitting ten, while Posh gave it a real go - and should have scored first.

At kick-off I was chastened not to see even one of our youthful strikers on the bench, and concerned the senior pros were being asked to put in another shift after the busy holiday schedule. But Hughes tactics were vindicated. He clearly values a good run in the Cup and post-match said he wants to build continuity and momentum through a settled side. Can't argue with that. Luckily we avoided any injuries, and the boys will be well fired up now for our trip to Wigan.

That and the Stoke home game are certain to provide a sterner test than the past two games, but I think the tide really has turned and we can continue to put points on the board - the league down in the bottom half, lest we forget, is incredibly tight.

Now we have the added anticipation of a feisty 4th round derby with Spurs to end the month. We'll return to this theme in due course, but let's hope this will be payback time for the Whites. We only got a point off them last season and, of course, they put us out after a replay in the QF's of the Cup. In total command at half-time after Bobby's beautifully crafted goal, I turned to my mate and said, 'this is the season we get to Wembley.' Hmmm, 'Arry's subs did for us in short order in the 2nd half. As for this season, robbed by ref Mike Dean at home, unlucky not to get something in the return New Year's Day. Spurs will find us a much tougher nut to crack next time.

Finally, I must pass comment on two events away from Craven Cottage. Sadly it did not work our for Roy at Liverpool. I view his demise with sympathy, not malice, he looked haunted by the end. But having witnessed their FA Cup loss to United, I must congratulate him for getting Liverpool to play the Fulham way. It could have been us at Old Trafford - nothing in attack (Torres doing a perfect impersonation of AJ), no width and too many ordinary players on the park. No self belief away from home. What exactly is Kuyt's role meant to be?

And on a sour note, when is somebody going to relocate their moral compass and drive El Hadji Diouf from the English game? Bravo to Warnock for speaking as he did - in fact I thought he was commendably restrained.

Remember this blog started the whole debate about ugly football of the Blackburn, Stoke, Wolves variety back in October. It clearly reached the FFC players and led to Murphy going public on the thuggery.

Keep your feedback rolling, the next 'Director of Football' sure shook some trees with his blueprint for the future. Strangely, I'm still waiting for the club's call to confirm my role...

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6647972,00.html

Kamara unflustered about future

Striker unsure where he will play next season

Kamara: Uncertain future

Diomansy Kamara has insisted he is not worried about his Fulham future after an impressive FA Cup hat-trick.

The 30-year-old is out of contract in the summer and has not featured heavily in the plans of manager Mark Hughes so far this season.

Kamara was handed starts earlier this season due to injuries to Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson but managed just two goals in eight games.

The striker had looked sure to depart from Craven Cottage under Roy Hodgson after being loaned out to Celtic last season, yet was re-introduced under Mark Hughes.

"I've got a contract until the end of the season and at the moment, when I get my chance on the pitch, I'm always trying to do my best," said Kamara.

"We'll see what happens in the next few matches. This is not my problem, I'm just focused on Fulham. I'm not concerned that my contract is ending."

"When one player doesn't play, I never blame the manager. I need to work hard, go in the gym and work more, this is my philosophy.

"In February, I think Bobby Zamora is coming back and Moussa Dembele. We have other strikers coming back so the competition makes it better for us. Competition is good for the club."

On the fringes
Kamara is unsure where he will ply his trade next season but is hoping to feature on a more regular basis in a Fulham side that has won three of their last four games.

"When you are player and you don't play you are obviously a little bit frustrated but this is all part of the game," added Kamara.

"Everything is the same. The new manager needs time to understand what he wants and what the team wants.

"The Premier League is also very hard. We played well and we drew a lot of matches. I think it's very close in the league. We have a lot of quality and we need to keep going.

"If we keep doing what we are doing now, we can finish in mid-table."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6648090,00.html

Morison shrugs off speculation

Lions striker not reading too much into transfer gossip

By Chris Burton   

Morison: Regular rumours

Steve Morison is refusing to let ongoing speculation regarding his future become a distraction.

The Wales international has been a revelation for Millwall since signing from Stevenage in 2009.

His prolific form in front of goal has won him a host of admirers, with the 27-year-old now regarded as one of the top marksmen outside of the Premier League.

Inevitably, his ongoing success has led to regular reports of a switch to the top flight, with the January transfer window proving to be no different.

Flattering
Fulham are the latest side credited with holding an interest, with Mark Hughes keen to bolster his firepower.

Morison, though, is refusing to read too much into the latest reports, with his focus locked solely on his efforts with the Lions.

"It is flattering to be linked with a move to a different club, but I just have to get on with it, keep my head down and keep going," he said.

"I am a Millwall player."

White Noise

http://www.pinnaclesports.com/landing_soccer.aspx?refer=xadgoal&itc=132

EXCLUSIVE: Fulham Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer 'Very Disappointed' Roy Hodgson Has Been Sacked By Liverpool

Fulham and Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer says he is "very disappointed" Liverpool have sacked coach Roy Hodgson after only a few months.

By Rahul Bali & Rick D'Andrea

Jan 9, 2011 9:34:00 PM

Mark Schwarzer

Fulham and Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has revealed he is "very disappointed" to hear Liverpool have sacked coach Roy Hodgson.

The shot-stopper was under the guidance of the former Reds boss at the Cottagers last season, helping the side to reach the Europa League final.

"Obviously I'm very disappointed for Hodgson and Mike Kelly, who was his assistant when they were at Fulham," the Australian custodian told Goal.com. "A lot of our success at Fulham was down to them.

"This is football as the demands are high."

The Socceroos 'keeper also believes India deserve to be in the Asian Cup, despite the criticism the country has received over its qualifying, with the two nations meeting on Monday afternoon.

"The first objective is of course to win the first game," he affirmed. "India deserves to be at the tournament and we are focusing on each game at a time.

"We have to give our 100% and be on top of our game because all our good sides out here."

White Noise

West Ham in £2.5m battle to sign Odense striker Peter Utaka

Last updated at 10:40 PM on 9th January 2011

Comments West Ham are hastily trying to put together a bid for £2.5million-rated Odense striker Peter Utaka to ward off interest from other clubs.

The 26-year-old striker, the brother of Portsmouth forward John, is also being watched by Fulham.

Hammer time: OB Odense's Peter Utaka (left)

West Ham are in talks with Hoffenheim in a bid to sign unsettled striker Demba Ba.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1345605/West-Ham-2-5m-battle-sign-Odense-striker-Peter-Utaka.html#ixzz1AcEZYoyk

White Noise

Avram Grant anger at Karren Brady for revealing Steve Sidwell dealings

Under-fire West Ham boss Avram Grant has hit out at Karren Brady after the Hammers director went public to explain why the club ditched an attempt to sign Steve Sidwell.

Not happy: West Ham's Israeli manager Avram Grant (AFP/Getty Images)

Grant, who looked set to be axed after a 5-0 Premier League defeat at Newcastle last week, insists he had the backing of co-owners David Gold and David Sullivan to bring in the midfielder, who has since joined rivals Fulham, and that all three are busy working on strengthening the squad this month.

But the Israeli, whose side are bottom of the league, was clearly unimpressed Brady revealed in her newspaper column why she had pulled the plug on the Sidwell deal.

Brady wrote that 13 midfielders on the Hammers books meant the player could not be promised first-team football and while Grant has not commented on the deal it is understood he was upset to miss out on the 28-year-old. 'I didn't read the column so I don't know what she said,' explained Grant. 'Maybe I will have a column in a newspaper and say what I think. All the things I have to say to the people at the club I say to them directly. We don't have a problem but I speak with the owners. I'm dealing with the owners and that is the most important.'

Grant's situation was eased by Saturday's 2-0 triumph over Championship Barnsley in the FA Cup third round but he still believes the Hammers desperately need consistency – on and off the pitch. He added: 'When the rumours are coming from inside the club it doesn't create much stability.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852201-avram-grant-anger-at-karren-brady-for-revealing-steve-sidwell-dealings#ixzz1AcHjIcE8

White Noise

http://www.kickoff.com/news/19588/kagisho-dikgacoi-stays-at-fulham.php

Kagisho Dikgacoi stays at Fulham

Dikgacoi signs extension

Posted: 2011-01-10 07:57

Despite expressing his wish to leave Craven Cottage, Bafana Bafana international Kagisho Dikgacoi has extended his contract with English Premiership Fulham by a further year. 

The 26-year-old spoke last week of wanting to leave the club, either permanently or on loan, in the January transfer window, so it has come as something of a surprise that Fulham announced on Sunday that Dikgacoi will stay at the club until 2012.

"KG's a good player, and like a number of players who aren't playing, there's a little bit of frustration I'm sure," Fulham manager Mark Hughes says. "He's a player we want to keep here. We've taken up the option on his contract so that shows our intent in his regards.

"We don't intend to let him out either. We will try and keep players who can have an impact for us at the club."

Dikgacoi has made just one appearance for Fulham this season and was not even on the bench for the 6-2 FA Cup victory over Peterborough at the weekend. 

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/09/2296678/fulhams-former-liverpool-midfielder-danny-murphy-kenny

Fulham's former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy: Kenny Dalglish is a sensible appointment

But Roy Hodgson deserved to have been given more time, says ex-Red

By Adithya Ananth

9 Jan 2011 08:54:00

Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy has backed the appointment of Kenny Dalglish as Liverpool manager until the end of the season, following the dismissal of Roy Hodgson.

The ex-Inter boss parted ways with the club after a series of poor results left the team only four points off the relegation zone, and Liverpool brought in former boss Dalglish - who was the last manager to win the league title with the Reds - to take charge of the side for the remainder of the season.

"They want to get it right, of course, and Kenny knows the club well, so it's quite a sensible appointment - and most if not all the fans love Kenny, respect him and will give him time to work with the team," Murphy told talkSPORT.

"It's a sensible decision and knowing Kenny he'll rise to the challenge. It is a sad day in the fact that I feel for Roy but the club will carry on. Managers come and go as players do but the club has to continue moving forward."

The veteran midfielder was also unhappy that his former boss was not given a significant amount of time to make his mark at Anfield.

"It's a strange time at the moment and I can't quite put my finger on why that is," Murphy added. "When Roy Hodgson came to Fulham we didn't win a game until his ninth game in charge and then we went on to finish seventh, which is the highest in the club's history, and reach the final of the Europa League.

"There is something to be said for stability and I also understand that clubs sometimes need to make decisions to move in a different direction, and that can work too, but the general overview and people who know football know that the best way to create stability and success is to stick with the manager and give him a bit of time."

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk//football/2011/jan/10/diego-maradona-premier-league-job?mobile-redirect=false

Diego Maradona has said he will fly to London next month to study an offer from an English Premier League club, Argentinian media reported.

Argentina's two big dailies La Nacion and Clarin quoted Maradona as saying: "In February I'm going to England to listen to a firm offer.

"If they convince me, I may take it up," said the former Argentina coach during a visit to the Atlantic resort of Punta del Este in neighbouring Uruguay.

Maradona, 50, gave no indication of which club it might be. Clarin said sources close to Maradona were saying it was Fulham.

"I'm not desperate [but] I know that some day I'll be the coach again of some team," Maradona told a hastily convened news conference.

Maradona has been out of work since his controversial exit as Argentina coach following his World Cup team's 4-0 defeat by Germany in July in the quarter-finals of the tournament.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/8248000/Leicester-City-v-Manchester-City-Sven-Goran-Eriksson-ready-to-teach-Roberto-Mancini-one-last-lesson.html

The rest of January will be busy for City, although the emphasis will be on exports rather than imports. City are open to the sale of six players in their squad: Emmanuel Adebayor, Wayne Bridge, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joleon Lescott, Roque Santa Cruz and, if they find a suitable replacement, Shay Given.

They have agreed to let Wayne Bridge go on loan to Aston Villa until the end of the season after Villa agreed to pay the players wages — believed to be around £80,000 per week — in full. West Ham, who had offered £50,000 a week, had a bid rejected.

It is possible that the deal could be made permanent as City still owe Villa money on the James Milner transfer which could go towards settling a transfer fee.

The situation with Adebayor is less clear cut. There is serious interest from a number of clubs. His former club Monaco, who he left for Arsenal in 2006, have made a bid but it falls way short of what City want for the player.

Fulham want to take him on loan, as do Aston Villa, while Real Madrid, who need cover for Gonzalo Higuain (he needs back surgery), are monitoring the situation.

City are not ruling out further recruitment but are only planning on investing if players are sold, with a centre back the next priority.

Otherwise Mike Rigg, the technical director, and his scouting team are focusing on finding the right players to bolster the squad in the summer.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/10/2298138/west-ham-fulham-and-blackburn-rovers-told-they-will-have-to-wait-

West Ham, Fulham and Blackburn Rovers told they will have to wait until summer to sign Jay Bothroyd from Cardiff City

Club will not allow England striker to leave until his contract ends

10 Jan 2011 08:16:00

EXCLUSIVE

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

The army of Premier League clubs hoping to sign Jay Bothroyd have been told they will have to wait until the summer to sign the Cardiff City striker.

Bothroyd has attracted interest from West Ham, Fulham and Blackburn Rovers following his goalscoring exploits in the Championship.
But Cardiff have told the 28-year-old, who is out of contract in the summer, that he will not be allowed to leave the south Wales club until the end of the season.

Although Cardiff could command a £2 million fee for Bothroyd, they believe a potential cash windfall is far outweighed by the benefits of keeping their leading goalscorer to spearhead their promotion push. Dave Jones' team currently lie second in the Championship.

"For us it is all about promotion and we have a far better chance of doing that with Jay Bothroyd in our side," a Cardiff insider told Goal.com UK. "Although there is a lot of interest in Jay and we could get good money for him, he has been told he will not be leaving in the window. We need him here and he wants to help us go in to the Premier League."

Bothroyd, who can leave for free in the summer, is able to begin talking to suitors this month although it is understood that he is currently keeping his options open.

The player responded to rumours of interest from the Premier League on his Twitter page and said: "There are always rumours but I am concentrating on getting to the Prem with Cardiff – that's my sole focus."

Bothroyd has been on the sidelines since December 4 after picking up hamstring and heel injuries. Although he began the season on fire with 15 goals in his first 16 games, he has not scored for his club since making his England debut as a substitute in the 2-1 defeat against France on November 17.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6648308,00.html

Maradona claims English offer

Argentine says he is ready to listen to offer

By Andres Garavaglia   

Last updated: 10th January 2011   

Maradona: During trip to Fulham

Diego Maradona claims he will travel to England next month to hold talks with a club.

The Argentine legend is currently out of work after leaving his role with the national team following their World Cup exit at the quarter-final stage.

Maradona has since revealed he would love the chance to manage in the Premier League.

"In February I will be travelling to England to listening to a formal proposal from a team from there who wants to talk to me," Maradona said during a trip to Uruguay to visit his daughter.

"If they convince me I might accept the position.

"I'm not desperate (but) I know that some day I'll be the coach again of some team."

Reports in Argentina claim the team in question may be Fulham - the club he visited last year when he made a trip to England in November.

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/48928/Bendtner_quashes_speculation_but_admits_frustration.aspx

Bendtner quashes speculation but admits frustration

Author:  Andrew Allen

Posted on:10 January 2011 - 09:0

Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner has once again pledged his future to the Gunners and stressed that despite speaking publically about his frustration at not playing more first team minutes his heart is still set on a career in north London.

The Danish attacker has been linked with the likes of Fulham, Ajax, Bayern Munich, Lazio and AC Milan in the past after seemingly fallen down the pecking order at the Emirates this season with both Marouane Chamakh and Robin van Persie more regularly selected to spearhead Arsene Wenger's attack.

Reduced to playing in a wide right position, the 22-year-old started the FA Cup match against Leeds United on Saturday and is expected to retain his position when Arsenal play Ipswich on Wednesday in the Carling Cup.

Speaking ahead of the weekend's 1-1 draw with Leeds, Bendtner clarified his state of mind to the Arsenal official matchday programme:

"I think a few things may have been interpreted not exactly in the way I said them, but it's true that I was disappointed because anyone who isn't playing wants to be in the team.

"I'm no different – but I think maybe it got talked up a little too much, because I also said that Arsenal is the Club I've been at for a long time and remains the Club where I want to play.

"I believe I'm good enough to play, and there have never been any talks about leaving or anything like that – it's just naturally frustrating if you are not in the side and that's the same for any player

White Noise

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/66885.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Maradona hints at Premier League job

ESPNsoccernet staff

January 10, 2011

Former Argentina coach Diego Maradona says he will fly into England next month for talks with a Premier League club - thought to be Fulham - with a view to becoming their new manager.

Maradona has been out of work since leaving his post with Argentina in July, less than a month after guiding them to the World Cup quarter-finals.

Many felt that the South Americans, who had World Player of the Year Lionel Messi spearheading one of the most talented squads at the finals, severely underachieved in South Africa - with the blame generally pointed at Maradona's tactical naivety.

His last game in charge was a 4-0 drubbing by Germany in the last eight, but the Argentina legend, who broke English hearts with his 'Hand of God' goal in the 1986 World Cup, has expressed his desire to try his hand at managing a Premier League side.

"In February I will be travelling to England to listening to a formal proposal from a team from there who wants to talk to me," Maradona said during a trip to Uruguay to visit his daughter.

"If they convince me I might accept the position. I'm not desperate (but) I know that some day I'll be the coach again of some team."

Reports in Argentina suggest that the club in question is Fulham, who Maradona visited as a guest of owner Mohamed Al-Fayed in November.

The speculation will not sit well with current Cottagers boss Mark Hughes, who has been under increasing pressure of late having struggled to stamp his mark on the side since taking over from Roy Hodgson last summer.

Maradona's coaching experience is certainly limited; his spell with the Argentina national team was his first job since ill-fated tenures at Mandiyu de Corrientes and Racing Club came to an end in the mid-90s.

But despite this, he was heavily linked with the Blackburn Rovers job after Sam Allardyce's sacking last month, and also recently expressed his displeasure at not being given the opportunity to take the reins at former club Boca Juniors.

White Noise

http://www.footylatest.com/fulham-now-favourites-over-west-ham-to-sign-robbie-keane/18918

Fulham now favourites over West Ham to sign Robbie Keane

The Tottenham striker Robbie Keane is in great demand since Harry Redknapp announced that he is free to leave White Hart Lane this month, and it was thought that Birmingham were the most likely side to take him after making an official offer of £7m.

But now that deal seems to have fallen through as Keane doesn't want to move away from London, which has given the advantage to West Ham and Fulham, but both of them may not have the finances to bring in the 31 year-old.

Reports are saying that the Hammers are most willing to match Keane's wages at Tottenham, but there is simply no way that they could drum up the full asking price and Avram Grant will probably have to ask for a loan period, or if he could pay in drawn-out instalments. Harry Redknapp has already said that he wants a straight sale: "If he wants to go, it'd have to be a permanent transfer. Robbie Keane would do a great job for somebody, but it's got to be someone who buys him.". This alone may rule West Ham out of the running.

Mark Hughes has also admitted that he wants Keane to sharpen up the Fulham front line, and Al-Fayed has been known to invest a little if he believes that Hughes can keep the team in the Premiership, but Keane may need to accept a cut in wages to get his wish to stay in London.

Mark Hughes said today: "Although at times recently and in the past there has been a will to bring players here, on occasion we haven't been able to do it due to the finances involved.

"Would Robbie being keen to stay in London help Fulham? Well that gives us a competitive advantage, I would suggest.

"Fulham is in a nice part of the world. That helps in acquisitions. There are clubs where it is more difficult to attract players to the area, but we don't have that problem when we are based in London."

Hughes would definitely be able to promise Keane the first-team football that he craves, but would he be willing to take a cut in wages to move to Craven Cottage?

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6648565,00.html

Sidwell snub angers McCarthy

Wolves manager disappointed to miss out on midfielder

By Chris Burton   Last updated: 10th January 2011   

McCarthy: Annoyed

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy admits to being left angered by Steve Sidwell's late defection to Fulham.

McCarthy thought he had landed the midfielder from Aston Villa last week, with the 28-year-old at Molineux on Thursday to undergo a medical.

He would not put pen to paper with the Midlanders, though, as an approach from Fulham boss Mark Hughes lured him back to his London roots.

McCarthy is disappointed to have seen a deal he worked so hard on come to nothing, but appreciates that Sidwell's desire to return to the capital ultimately went against him.

"I was annoyed, miffed, upset, peed off and I told both Steve and his agent all of those things," he told the Birmingham Mail.

"But I told him it was not aimed at him because he made the decision I would have made. He lives in London and a London club came in for him. He was offered a good long-term contract and to me it was a no-brainer.

"So what is the point of me having any bad or ill-feeling, animosity towards him? I don't. He wanted to come here and was quite excited but was made a better offer.

Dilemma
"Put it this way, if Wolves tell me in the summer I am going and Burnley are back in the Premiership and want me, or Fulham want me because I live in Bromley - I'm going back down there.

"I want to sleep in my own bed, which I've not done other than once a month for the last seven years. It's the same for Sidwell so good luck to him. I wish him well. I can't say I wish Fulham the same, but I wish him well."

It is not the first time Wolves have seen a player slip through their grasp at the final moment, but McCarthy insists he will not dwell on the issue for long.

He added: "Sidwell conducted himself perfectly. No problem at all. He's a smashing fella. I wish I could have signed him. I'm annoyed because I don't like losing out. He was terrific. I'd have loved to have signed him, and still would at a different date.

"I just can't move Wolverhampton any closer to London. There's nothing I can do about that. We can't do anything about the geography. Good luck to him.

"He genuinely had a dilemma. He was looking forward to coming here."

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/hughes-hails-important-win-1147324.html?

Hughes hails 'important' win

Mark Hughes was delighted with Fulham's 6-2 FA Cup third-round win against Peterborough as he targets a good run in the competition.

The Cottagers' boss opted to field a strong starting XI against their League One opponents and was satisfied after they put in a good display to ensure there would be no giant-killing act at Craven Cottage.

Hughes was expected to rest some of his key men ahead of next weekend's Premier League clash against Wigan, but says the manner of the win showed his selection was correct as it helps the players build up more momentum from three wins in the last four games.

"We want to have a good run. I think that's important," said Hughes.

"We're playing well at the moment and it's important that we have continuity to our performances and selection.

"That was the thinking behind it. We've got plenty of time to recover before the next game as well, so I was pleased."

He added: "We've got a big game next week away, so it's important we go into that game on a positive note, which we certainly have done with today's performance."

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/striker-not-worried-about-cottage-future-1147323.html?

Striker not worried about Cottage future

Hat-trick hero Diomansy Kamara claims he is just focusing on scoring goals for Fulham, despite being out of contract in the summer.

The 30-year-old Senegal striker took advantage of Cottagers boss Mark Hughes' striker injury problems at the weekend by hitting a treble against League One Peterborough to help the side clinch a 6-2 win and book an FA Cup fourth round home tie against London rivals Tottenham.

However Kamara's current deal at Craven Cottage is due to expire at the end of the season which could see him sign a pre-contract agreement with a side outside of England and leave on a Bosman free transfer in the summer.

Despite the uncertainty, Kamara insists he is just looking to make the most of his latest chance in the first XI and he hopes to stay there when the likes of Bobby Zamora, Andrew Johnson and Mossa Dembele are all back fit and fighting for selection in Hughes' attack.

"I've got a contract until the end of the season and at the moment, when I get my chance on the pitch, I'm always trying to do my best," the former Senegal striker said.

"We'll see what happens in the next few matches. This is not my problem, I'm just focused on Fulham. I'm not concerned that my contract is ending."

He added: "In February, I think Bobby Zamora is coming back and Moussa Dembele. We have other strikers coming back so the competition makes it better for us. Competition is good for the club.

"When you are player and you don't play you are obviously a little bit frustrated but this is all part of the game."