11. Seattle
12. Columbus
13. New York
14. Real Salt Lake
15. San Jose
16. LA Galaxy
17. FC Dallas
18. Colorado.

What does your team need? Who do you hope they get? I havent followed the Crew close enough to feel confident about their needs but with Hejduk gone I'm hoping they can get Ohio native Kofie Sarkokie. However, as a US U20 national I'm not sure he'll be left by the 12th pick so next I'm hoping for Cleveland native midfielder Michael Nanchoff to help fill the void left by Schelotto (sp?). With the loss of Onstad Houston will need a goalie so I'm thinking the pick generation addidas signing Zac McMath.  Otherwise I hope they get Darlington Nagbe, but I doubt he'll be available by the 7th pick.

Of note, this year five non college internationals will be in the draft.  One is John Rooney (Wayne's younger bro), 2 Ecuadorians, 1 Argentinian, and 1 Uruguayan

MLSsoccer.com is streaming the combine matches if you're interested in watching. 

duffbeer

Rooney scored today in his combine match.  Didnt see it myself but from what I saw on Saturday, he's defo got a shot. 

Also note Toronto FC traded away their first round draft pick.  While not making the connection between the two directly, Paul Mariner (Toronto Manager) said that they prefer to develop their talent through their academy.  Have to wonder if Klinsmann was behind that dumb bass decision.  I'm now beginning to get embarrassed that Gulati was even willing to consider him for the US MNT job.

AmericanJames

Quote from: duffbeer on January 10, 2011, 06:54:09 PM
Rooney scored today in his combine match.  Didnt see it myself but from what I saw on Saturday, he's defo got a shot. 

Also note Toronto FC traded away their first round draft pick.  While not making the connection between the two directly, Paul Mariner (Toronto Manager) said that they prefer to develop their talent through their academy.  Have to wonder if Klinsmann was behind that dumb bass decision.  I'm now beginning to get embarrassed that Gulati was even willing to consider him for the US MNT job.

I don't exactly have a squad I follow to know their needs due to the lack of a team in Detroit, but on the issue of Klinsmann and developing talent through their own academy I do have a couple thoughts.
1.) No problem with a team wanting to develop talent through their academy its actually quite smart and economically smart( think Jozy and probably the new kid for NY Red Bulls, and Andy Najar and the goalie for DC, but to dismiss the draft all together in favor of it is foolish, unless they are getting a decent return w/ trading away the pick, especially with many of these talented youngsters only developing their talent in the MLS for 2-3 yrs and going abroad
2.) I can't stand Klinsmann and am really worried about the short sightedness of the the federation if the only 2 coaches they really considered were him and Bradley. I almost wanna see them change the status quo and drop Bradley and pick up Roy now that he is available.
Just my two cents :dead horse:
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

duffbeer

The only thing that would make me trade a first round pick is an emergency situation in the playoffs or something, but Toronto traded their pick after the season was over for a USL Div 1 defender.  I'm sure he fills a need, but to miss out on the generation addidas signings is pure madness considering the way those signings are structured.  Not to mention that among former Gen Ad. signings are Altidore, Dempsey, Edu, Zakuani, Bunbury, Gonzalez, Guzan, Howard, Boca, Beasley, EJ, etc.

I'm all for developing your own talent too, but you still need to get players from other sources. 

YankeeJim

I'm not the biggest MLS fan. The whole Becks affair wore thin on me before his first injury. That one note horn has really contributed little on the pitch for my home town Galaxy. But now! With My second favorite socer player of all time at right back and Juan Pablo Angel to stand around and wait for a Donavan pass, all will be good at the Home Depot Center. Gawd, I might even buy a ticket.  :003:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Steve_orino

FC Dallas: 17th pick

Would be content to pick up Stephen McCarthy or Ashley McInnes in the first round.  McCarthy would be our heir apparent to Daniel Hernandez & provide some depth to the CB position.  McInnes would be nice to have as a speedy winger type - although that area seems covered with Shea & Chavez.

Would be ecstatic if he fell or FCD traded up and got Anthony Ampaipitakwong from THE Akron University!  He's a local boy and a family friend and it would be great to go see him play...

In a mock draft that I saw, in the 2nd round we "selected" Tyler Lassiter - a CB with good distribution.  Depth will be key this year as we take on Concacaf Champions League in addition to the League.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

duffbeer

Hey SteveO,  since you dont visit FulhamUSA, maybe you're not aware that I'm a huge Akron supporter.  Akron and Cleveland are like Dallas and Fort Worth.  Several of the Akron players are from the Cleveland area and are friends or friends of friends.  I dont think it is at all unreasonable that Ampai could go at # 17.  He hasnt done much in the combines so far and there is this constant question about his size in relation to the physical nature of MLS.  I really dont get it because the college game is often very physical.  I've seen him play live on several occasions and the physicality isnt an issue so I dont really get where that criticism comes from.  Ampai is a great player, but more importantly a first class individual.  I wish him all the best.  I hope he ends up on the team that is right for him.  Ian at FulhamUSA wants the Sounders to pick him up too.  

duffbeer

QuoteI don't exactly have a squad I follow to know their needs due to the lack of a team in Detroit, but on the issue of Klinsmann and developing talent through their own academy I do have a couple thoughts.
1.) No problem with a team wanting to develop talent through their academy its actually quite smart and economically smart( think Jozy and probably the new kid for NY Red Bulls, and Andy Najar and the goalie for DC, but to dismiss the draft all together in favor of it is foolish, unless they are getting a decent return w/ trading away the pick, especially with many of these talented youngsters only developing their talent in the MLS for 2-3 yrs and going abroad
2.) I can't stand Klinsmann and am really worried about the short sightedness of the the federation if the only 2 coaches they really considered were him and Bradley. I almost wanna see them change the status quo and drop Bradley and pick up Roy now that he is available.

No team in Detroit or Cleveland.  Dont worry California is going to run out of water and then the Great Lake States will be the place live.  We'll get teams then.

A year and a half ago I would have sold my soul to have Roy coach the US Mens team, but now I dont think it would be a good idea.  Especially when you consider the amount of time he needs to get results and that he seems to be relatively inflexible in terms of veering from his system.  You dont get the amount of time to work with the national side that you do with a club side.  Plus Roy knows relatively nothing about the US player pool.  The only foreign coach I would hire would be one that has been here in the US for years and knows our system, like Sigi.  Bradley is strategic about what players he calls up for certain international fixtures so that he can look at lots of players and cap tie or convince players that could represent another country to play for the US.  He does this at the expense of his win-loss record.  I mercenary coach would not be so altruistic and would set US program back IMHO.

AmericanJames

Quote from: duffbeer on January 12, 2011, 01:31:08 PM

QuoteI don't exactly have a squad I follow to know their needs due to the lack of a team in Detroit, but on the issue of Klinsmann and developing talent through their own academy I do have a couple thoughts.

No team in Detroit or Cleveland.  Dont worry California is going to run out of water and then the Great Lake States will be the place live.  We'll get teams then.

A year and a half ago I would have sold my soul to have Roy coach the US Mens team, but now I dont think it would be a good idea.  Especially when you consider the amount of time he needs to get results and that he seems to be relatively inflexible in terms of veering from his system.  You dont get the amount of time to work with the national side that you do with a club side.  Plus Roy knows relatively nothing about the US player pool.  The only foreign coach I would hire would be one that has been here in the US for years and knows our system, like Sigi.  Bradley is strategic about what players he calls up for certain international fixtures so that he can look at lots of players and cap tie or convince players that could represent another country to play for the US.  He does this at the expense of his win-loss record.  I mercenary coach would not be so altruistic and would set US program back IMHO.

You guys have water there i thought it was just a river of fire? Jk but seriously Detroit and or Cleveland really deserve an opportunity for MLS, to be honest I would be happy with usl 1/nasl 1(whatever they are calling it nowadays). I dont necessarily want a mercenary but I guess I have the feeling of frustration of thinking what could be if we had a coach who used to his subs properly and didnt p1ss off talent such as rossi and subotic.
The coach I thought would have been a good fit was one you mentioned, Sigi Schmid. I personally feel he is the best coach in the the country right now.

PS what do you think about Gooch going to Twente?
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

duffbeer

James it was my understanding that it was the U20 coach Rongen that upset Subotic by not choosing him for the last U20 WC team (I think that was the competition).  And I have never heard any account claiming any US coach upset Rossi.  Rossi was always going to play for Italy; it was his fathers dream.  And to be fair I dont think Rossi would be the player he is today were it not for the time he spent in Italy since he was 12 years old.  

Bradley made some bad subs, but to be fair he made some good ones too.  When he put Bornstein in at LB I was beside myself but then Johnny B came through with some very good play.  Capello has been called by some the best coach in the world and look at some of the subs and mistakes he has made.  I think that's just going to happen.  Especially in international play.  My biggest frustration of what could have been is still  Gooch's injury and Davies' accident.  

Gooch to FC Twente is the best possible thing that could have happened for him and the US team.  He will be reunited with his former coach from Standard Leige.  Now I think we can really find out if he has recovered 100% from the injury.  

I would take a USL 1 or USL 2 team also.  We had one until a year ago, but it got left out when the NASL breakaway from USL 1 happened.  Never heard an explanation as to why.  It  was a shame because the team had just been promoted to USL 1 from USL 2 because it was such a success (and because a space opened up when the sounders moved to MLS).  Ironic that it was Drew Carey's team that caused the downfall of Clevelands pro soccer team.

I think the river fires are just to clean the water up before it gets to the lake :dft012:

Steve_orino

Quote from: duffbeer on January 12, 2011, 04:55:45 AM
Hey SteveO,  since you dont visit FulhamUSA, maybe you're not aware that I'm a huge Akron supporter.  Akron and Cleveland are like Dallas and Fort Worth.  Several of the Akron players are from the Cleveland area and are friends or friends of friends.  I dont think it is at all unreasonable that Ampai could go at # 17.  He hasnt done much in the combines so far and there is this constant question about his size in relation to the physical nature of MLS.  I really dont get it because the college game is often very physical.  I've seen him play live on several occasions and the physicality isnt an issue so I dont really get where that criticism comes from.  Ampai is a great player, but more importantly a first class individual.  I wish him all the best.  I hope he ends up on the team that is right for him.  Ian at FulhamUSA wants the Sounders to pick him up too.  

Not as frequent on FUSA as I used to be, especially after a visit to the site threw my computer out of whack...I know its been fixed, i've just been very hesitant to go back.   :dead horse:

I knew you liked Akron and was hoping I'd get a reaction...  I agree, from what i've read, Anthony didn't have a good combine, nor did Farfan, a player of similar position.  If a weak combine & questions about his size allows FC Dallas to take him at 17, that'd be fantastic.  He could be the heir apparent to David Ferreria (similar in size but much stronger).  I think you said it best, it's a matter of him being taken by the right team.
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Steve_orino

This just in from Ives:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/mls-combine-first-look-at-the-2011-mls-rookies

Updated Jan 12, 2011 3:37 PM ET
The annual Major League Soccer Combine has long been seen as an imperfect tool to judge incoming talent, but it is what the league has and it is still a major key in determining just where players will be drafted each year.

The most recent MLS Combine, held in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, had its usual mix of standout performances and disappointing efforts, with the 2011 draft class looking like another good one. The play was mixed, in part because of the absence of six of the top players in the draft, but the emergence of some international players and good showings by some top prospects helped this year's Combine give scouts a good sense of just how deep the 2011 draft will be.

YOUNG GUNS
Ives Galarcep presents the 2010 MLS All-Rookie team as the kids come out to play rough.
So what did we learn from this year's Combine?

There aren't a bunch of top playmakers, but some promising forwards. There aren't a plethora of MLS-ready centerbacks, but a decent crop of fullbacks.

Here is a closer look at the players who helped their stock the most, and those who hurt their stock with their play in Florida.

STOCK RISING

Jalil Anibaba, North Carolina, Centerback
The athletic defender entered the Combine as one of the top centerbacks in the draft and all he did was emerge as the best senior in the draft. He will likely go after Generation adidas defenders Perry Kitchen and Zarek Valentin, but Anibaba impressed scouts with his overall game to the point that he should be knocking on the door of the Top 5.

John Rooney, England, Midfielder
Yes, he's Wayne Rooney's brother, and there will be plenty of hype surrounding him as long as he's in MLS, but Rooney showed at the Combine that he can actually play. He's not a striker like his brother, but a hard-working central midfielder who can cover ground from box to box, and can spark the attack. His Combine showing, and his name, could help him crack the first round, though early second round seems more likely.

Joao Plata, Ecuador, Forward
You may have never seen a smaller player, but the 5-foot-3 Plata was arguably the most impressive attacking player at the Combine. Certainly, his first two days he showed flashes of being mini-Messi-like, but coaches and scouts wonder how a player his size will adjust to the physical style of MLS. He had a tougher time on day 3 of the Combine going up against a tougher defense, which probably offered a better idea of what he could do.

Will Bruin, Indiana, Forward
The Hermann Award finalists flew in from St. Louis and promptly had a disappointing first day, but with some actual rest he returned on Day 2 to show the size, strength and passing skills that make him the top target forward in the draft. He is a Top Five-caliber talent who could be the first non-Akron player selected.

Greg King, UConn, Defender
With left back remaining a serious position of need in MLS, it didn't take scouts long to notice King playing well through the first two days of the Combine. He's not likely to go in the first round, but the Australian-born fullback showed an ability to get forward and solid defensive qualities at the Combine that should boost his stock come Thursday.

Demitrius Omphroy, California, Defender
The most impressive right back at the Combine, Omphroy emerged from relative obscurity to flash some good speed and appealing attacking qualities. He probably won't go in the first round, but could have played himself into a second-round selection with his Combine.

Cole Grossman, Duke, Midfielder
There weren't many standout central midfield performances at the Combine, but Grossman was one of the steadier players over the weekend, showing good two-way qualities and a nose for goal. Projected as a late first-rounder heading into the Combine, Grossman did more than enough to solidify his place in the first round.

Michael Tetteh, UCSB, Defender
The one player on this list who could have easily wound up on the stock falling list, Tetteh salvaged his Combine on day three by finally flashing the attacking qualities that earned him a Generation adidas contract. A speedy left back who likes to get forward, Tetteh failed to attack the first two days, but on the third day he got forward and sparked his team's attack. He's a sure-fire first rounder, but his final day's performance could push him closer to a Top 10 pick.

Corey Hertzog, Penn State, Forward
After shaking off a disappointing first day, Hertzog flashed the speed and shiftiness that made him one of college soccer's leading scorers in 2010. The Generation adidas striker came into the Combine as a Top Ten pick, and while he may not have done enough to break into the Top 5, Hertzog solidified his place as one of the top three forwards in this draft.

Eddie Ababio, North Carolina, Defender
A converted forward who excelled at right back at UNC, Ababio showed off good speed and skill playing right back on day one. He played more centerback later in the combine and did well there, but is probably still more a right back prospect.

STOCK FALLING

Tyler Lassiter, North Carolina State, Defender
One of the many centerbacks who struggled to deal with the attacking talent at the Combine, Lassiter showed some promise when moved to left back, but his overall Combine performance was forgettable and he'd be hard-pressed to be drafted in the first two rounds now.

Michael Boxall, UCSB, Defender
The big UCSB defender looked overmatched the first two days, and struggled to deal with speedy attackers. Projected as a late first/early second round pick before the Combine, Boxall could slip considerably now.

Amani Walker, UC-Irvine, Forward
A big target forward who could have impressed in a thin pool of big forwards, Walker showed very little. He looked slow and wasn't really a factor in the air.

Anthony Ampaipitakwong, Akron, Midfielder
One of the top-rated midfielders in the draft coming into the Combine, Ampaipitakwong struggled to get going. It isn't rare for creative midfielders to struggle with unfamiliar teammates, and Ampaipitakwong's college track record should lead to a late first/early second selection.

Michael Farfan, North Carolina, Midfielder
Much like Ampaipitakwong, Farfan came in with high expectations but rarely showed off the passing touch and vision that made him a star for the Tar Heels. He'll still go in the first round, but Farfan missed a chance to push his stock further.

Ashley McInnes, Tulsa, Midfielder
A quick winger/forward, McInnes didn't really differentiate himself and was largely overshadowed by teammates.

Curtis Ushedo, UAB, Defender
A big defender who might have played himself onto the radar of Toronto FC or Vancouver because of his Canadian background, Ushedo looked big and slow.

Marlon Ganchozo, Ecuador, Midfielder
While most of the other international non-college players impressed at least somewhat at the Combine, Ganchozo was flat-out awful. He had come in with some hype from South America as a hot-shot prospect, but he looked overwhelmed.

Ives Galarcep is a senior writer for FoxSoccer.com covering Major League Soccer and the U.S. national team.

@Borino09

Steve_orino

Quote from: Steve_orino on January 12, 2011, 09:52:38 PM
One of the top-rated midfielders in the draft coming into the Combine, Ampaipitakwong struggled to get going. It isn't rare for creative midfielders to struggle with unfamiliar teammates, and Ampaipitakwong's college track record should lead to a late first/early second selection.

That's great news!  Wishing, hoping, & praying!
@Borino09

HatterDon

All this Bob Bradley bashing is from Eurosnobs who want our coach to speak with an accent. For my money, Bradley is the best coach the USMNT has ever had. We lost our #1 goal threat and our #1 central defender was about 20% fit, and we won our group and scared the crap out of Ghana. All of this while we had, what, three very good goals disallowed? I have no idea what sort of expectations could have made that performance a failure, but they certainly weren't realistic -- that's for sure.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

Don, I agree that Bald Bob is the best coach the US has ever had but that likes saying Clint is our best striker. Yes he is, but it's a sad lot. America needs to get some coaches experience in other countries and we likely will as more of our fellows cross the pond. Time is the great equalizer. We saw that at the last cup. Even with injuries we were the best squad in our group. Had we played England later, we would have won.

BTW, as a Eurosnob, Klinsman isn't & never was the answer. Now, Roy...................
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

duffbeer

Quote from: Steve_orino on January 12, 2011, 09:55:54 PM
Quote from: Steve_orino on January 12, 2011, 09:52:38 PM

That's great news!  Wishing, hoping, & praying!

Considering five Akron players signed generation adidas contracts, the scouts saw plenty of Ampai.  No one will change their minds over his combine performance.  I saw a bit of one game he played in and it was a matter of the other players being on a different sheet of music.  He got himself in position to recieve passes but no one was there for him to distribute and maintain possesion. It's actually good, I hope, in terms of the right team drafting him.  No Colorado Rapids. :014:

duffbeer

And the # 1 pick is . . . . . A Texan, Omar Salgado.  Like him cause he said "no" to mexico.  6'4" 17 year old forward.  Vancouver opting for youth over a player that is ready.

duffbeer

Second pick . . .  native Ohioan (Cleveland) and Akron Alum, forward or attacking mid Darlington Nagbe.   Has to be the best name in all of soccer.  HIs dad is a former captain of the Nigerian national team.  Sad thing is his brother was even better than him but kept failing in school.  

Third pick . . . native of Indiana and Akron alum, Perry Kitchen, def. mf or cb

Fourth . . . Pennsylvanian and Akron alum, Zarek Valentin, defender.

FIfth . . . Philly Union pick Zac McMath, Maryland alum goalkeeper.

Sixth . . . Revs choose AJ Soares (that' a pretty nice name too for an athlete, I wish our AJ would soar but he's more like AJ Sores).  Univ. of California big defender.

finnster01

Perry Kitchen is not a too shabby name either. All you need now is Mr Sink to throw at the opposition...

Rooney Junior is picked in the second round for NY Red Bulls. Now I defo have to go and watch a Red Bull game next season for a laugh.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

duffbeer

Below are the first two rounds.  Akron enters the record books as the most successful showing for one school.  I must say Caleb Porter has replaced the void left by Woy as my new manager crush.  He was there in Baltimore not just accepting on behalf of Darlington Nagbe, but he was also advocating on behalf of his players until the end.  He is top class.  

Really happy to see that Sarkodie is going to the Dynamo, he will be with a great guy and coach in Dominic Kinnear.  

Disappointed that the Crew picked Justin Meram, he happens to be the only college player that I dont like.  Seems like a jerk but maybe he'll prove me wrong.  I'm not sure I will be successful in being a Crew fan.  I may have to stick with Houston.

My favorite, Michael Nanchoff, went # 8 to Vancouver.  Disappointed that he will be so far away, but it is probably good that he is on a new MLS team in terms of him making the first team.  

First Round
1. Vancouver Whitecaps -- Omar Salgado, F, U.S. U-20

2. Portland Timbers -- Darlington Nagbe, F, Akron

3. D.C. United -- Perry Kitchen, M/D, Akron

4. Chivas USA -- Zarek Valentin, D, Akron

5. Philadelphia Union -- Zac MacMath, GK, Maryland

6. New England Revolution -- A.J. Soares, D, California

7. Houston Dynamo -- Kofi Sarkodie, D, Akron

8. Vancouver Whitecaps (via Toronto) -- Michael Nanchoff, M, Akron

9. Chicago Fire -- Jalil Anibaba, D, North Carolina

10. Sporting Kansas City -- CJ Sapong, F, James Madison

11. Houston (via Portland/Seattle) -- Will Bruin, F, Indiana