News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bernd Leno...top shot-stopper in the Big 5 Euro Leagues???

Started by Chi_FFC, January 25, 2023, 04:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chi_FFC

Quote from: WindyCity on January 26, 2023, 05:23:38 PM
Quote from: Palhinha Colada on January 26, 2023, 05:08:33 PM
Quote from: FreiBird on January 26, 2023, 12:38:08 AM
Quote from: Palhinha Colada on January 25, 2023, 07:19:19 PM
I'm pro-stats in general and think Leno's been good overall, but no one on this board would say Leno has been the best shotstopper in Europe this season having watched the season to this point. He hasn't stood out to that level.
Objectively wrong. We'd be in relegation zone without him.
No GK in the world is worth 14+ points in the table over half a season.  That's the last I'll say on this. Leno has been a good pickup and is having a fine season which has helped us to 7th place. May it continue.

I'm with PColada on this issue. No question, Leno has been good for FFC and impactful in our last two wins.  That said, he doesn't pass the "eye test" for me.

Well then I'd suggest you need to check your vision. No, he's not one of the top, top GK's in the game right now, but he is very, very good and has been so since day 1 at Fulham (as all the stats/metrics make clear). We're very lucky to have him as he really could (and probably should) be playing for a "better" club. 

You've been saying similar things about Leno for months and I find it just bizarre. What kind of GK were you expecting Fulham to sign...Courtois??? Alisson???

WindyCity

Quote from: Chi_FFC on January 26, 2023, 05:36:21 PM
I'm pro-stats in general and think Leno's been good overall, but no one on this board would say Leno has been the best shotstopper in Europe this season having watched the season to this point. He hasn't stood out to that level.
No GK in the world is worth 14+ points in the table over half a season.  That's the last I'll say on this. Leno has been a good pickup and is having a fine season which has helped us to 7th place. May it continue.
I'm with PColada on this issue. No question, Leno has been good for FFC and impactful in our last two wins.  That said, he doesn't pass the "eye test" for me.
Well then I'd suggest you need to check your vision. No, he's not one of the top, top GK's in the game right now, but he is very, very good and has been so since day 1 at Fulham (as all the stats/metrics make clear). We're very lucky to have him as he really could (and probably should) be playing for a "better" club.  You've been saying similar things about Leno for months and I find it just bizarre. What kind of GK were you expecting Fulham to sign...Courtois??? Alisson???

Well then, I'd suggest you need to check your reading glasses.  I gave full props to Leno in our last two wins and acknowledged I was happy to have him at FFC and he has done well for the most part.  I just don't see him as an amazing GK as some have described here.  I'm just not a huge fan, but hope he can win me over as the season plays out.  Different strokes, remember?

Chi_FFC

Quote from: WindyCity on January 26, 2023, 05:46:46 PM
Well then I'd suggest you need to check your vision. No, he's not one of the top, top GK's in the game right now, but he is very, very good and has been so since day 1 at Fulham (as all the stats/metrics make clear). We're very lucky to have him as he really could (and probably should) be playing for a "better" club.  You've been saying similar things about Leno for months and I find it just bizarre. What kind of GK were you expecting Fulham to sign...Courtois??? Alisson???
Different strokes, remember?

Eh, there's differences of opinion and then there's just being wrong. And comments from you like this a few months ago are just flat out wrong...

"I know many here think Leno has been solid, but I disagree."

WindyCity

Ok, I'm wrong.  And you're always right!!  Thanks for clearing that up.....

cmg

An excellent recruit to the team (contrary to the 'advice' from several North London 'experts').

Whoscored currently name him as top keeper in the PL.

FreiBird

Quote from: WindyCity on January 26, 2023, 05:46:46 PM

Well then, I'd suggest you need to check your reading glasses.  I gave full props to Leno in our last two wins and acknowledged I was happy to have him at FFC and he has done well for the most part.  I just don't see him as an amazing GK as some have described here.  I'm just not a huge fan, but hope he can win me over as the season plays out.  Different strokes, remember?

You don't know ball.

river phoenix

Quote from: cmg on January 26, 2023, 06:09:46 PM

An excellent recruit to the team (contrary to the 'advice' from several North London 'experts').

Maybe Whoscored named him as top keeper but... but he doesn`t pass WindyCity`s eye test.

Windy, with all due respect, I don`t get how can someone not recognise Leno being such an excellent GK for us so far and how he embed calmness to our defence.

RaySmith

Quote from: river phoenix on January 27, 2023, 06:47:07 AM
Quote from: cmg on January 26, 2023, 06:09:46 PM

Maybe Whoscored named him as top keeper but... but he doesn`t pass WindyCity`s eye test.

Windy, with all due respect, I don`t get how can someone not recognise Leno being such an excellent GK for us so far and how he embed calmness to our defence.

I think Leno is a massive benefit to Fulham this season, in every way. Top keeper.

Bronaldinho

I'm not surprised, and he's probably the quiet reason we have done so well. Very quick off his line and he looks to be enjoying himself as a number one again.

Really smart bit of business for £3m.

I wanted Areola back for the reported £9m but Leno is as good, if not better and a 3rd of the price.

Always felt bad for Rodak when we get promoted, but when the club is bringing in top quality additions, you understand.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

spoonffc

tete has the highest completed percentage tackling stats in europe too. Our boys are really performing out of their skin

LittleErn

Leno has been very good. He is a top class keeper whether he is the best or the 5th best 0r among the top 20, he has done a good job. I'm more worried about the number of shots he has faced. What does that say about our defence?