watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Should we have a minute’s applause

Started by Andy S, February 23, 2023, 10:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

For the legendary John Motson before Friday nights match.

cookieg

Really can't see why we would or any other TV presenter for that matter.

Steeeeeeeeeed

GuessWhosBack

I must be the only person who turned off when I heard his voice... his knowledge 2nd too none his voice did my head in ... RIP .... but applause at games for anyone who dies these day is a bit lame... so not form me.

FulhamKC

Woolly Mammoth

He was a great English Icon and part of the Football Furniture and should be saluted for his contribution to the English game and it's culture.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

White Knight

Quote from: cookieg on February 23, 2023, 10:13:10 PM
Really can't see why we would or any other TV presenter for that matter.

I fully understand your point of view and can more or less agree. But Motty was not just anyone.

RaySmith

If you're going to have minute's applause for anyone at a game, and I'm not sure if I always agree with it - it's so frequent now, you should have it for Motty, because is such a well loved and integral  figure in English football.

He is also a link to football's recent past, when it was wasn't the huge, global money making machine of today, and when an exhausted looking, mud covered, little known, non -league player, scoring  a great last minute  goal, to win a  cup-tie against a top pro team, on a pitch like a ploughed field in Hereford, really grabbed the attention of nation, when shown on TV, with Motty's great, just right in tone, commentary.

And Motty was there, reporting on so many seminal moments in our game - we hear his voice when we think of those moments.

He fully deserves a respectful send- off from all English football fans, and I'm sure his family would much appreciate this.

Takemehome27

Quote from: GuessWhosBack on February 23, 2023, 10:26:50 PM
I must be the only person who turned off when I heard his voice... his knowledge 2nd too none his voice did my head in ... RIP .... but applause at games for anyone who dies these day is a bit lame... so not form me.

I wish you'd go away again 

bog

Yes.

The first time John lost control of his voice by way of excitement was in his very first match when Ronnie Radford scored his wonder goal.

filham

Quote from: RaySmith on February 24, 2023, 07:03:40 AM
If you're going to have minute's applause for anyone at a game, and I'm not sure if I always agree with it - it's so frequent now, you should have it for Motty, because is such a well loved and integral  figure in English football.

He is also a link to football's recent past, when it was wasn't the huge, global money making machine of today, and when an exhausted looking, mud covered, little known, non -league player, scoring  a great last minute  goal, to win a  cup-tie against a top pro team, on a pitch like a ploughed field in Hereford, really grabbed the attention of nation, when shown on TV, with Motty's great, just right in tone, commentary.

And Motty was there, reporting on so many seminal moments in our game - we hear his voice when we think of those moments.

He fully deserves a respectful send- off from all English football fans, and I'm sure his family would much appreciate this.
Well said, will just add that Motty always said the Cottage was one of his favourite grounds and he made many visits to us.

Andy S

Motty was well regarded wherever he went because he never showed an bias and he reported it as it was. I'd give him a minutes clap

SG

No - it is getting to the stage where players are wearing black arm bands every other week and we are applauding at many games. Motty was a pleasant chap and for many the voice of football but the regular clapping etc is getting to lose its meaning and impact

cookieg

I would rather we had a minutes silence for those murdered in Ukraine.

cmg

Quote from: SG on February 24, 2023, 02:39:20 PM
No - it is getting to the stage where players are wearing black arm bands every other week and we are applauding at many games. Motty was a pleasant chap and for many the voice of football but the regular clapping etc is getting to lose its meaning and impact

I agree. Nice enough bloke, but with very little specifically Fulham connection.
The minute clapping, itself an admission that people cannot be relied upon to respect a minute's silence, has become overused.

Twig

Twig

I'd rather have a minutes applause for Ukraine on the first anniversary of Putin's invasion.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Well they didn't have one for Motson in the end, and I don't quite know what that was for Ukraine... I think it was supposed to be a few moments of reflection, but then they had the music from.Moulin Rouge playing (?).

Bit odd.

Mince n Tatties

I gave the wife a minutes applause at Half Time when she brought in the Cheese on Toast and Coffee...💃