watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Seating and Facilities in the Riverside

Started by Terry Towling, March 01, 2023, 08:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Towling

I went to the game last night and to see what it was like I got a seat in the Riverside. Firstly entering the ground was a bit confusing as the stewards wanted us to go in on the right hand side next to the river with lovely inviting Welcome to the Riverside on the left, so by the time you were almost at the gates and saw the steward you had to walk back along the queue to stand on the right which actually went to those gates anyway. Maybe that could be clearer.

On entering the stand I was surprised at how much work still needs doing, it looked very much like a lot of other older grounds inside with the concessions rather than a brand spanking new facility such as the Emirates or new Wembley with its restaurants etc Didn't go upstairs so maybe there is something up there. Pre match it seemed spacious and I liked the beer machines, the quick service, the music and standing by the river is a reminder of how special Craven Cottage is.

There were lots of signs for toilets but surprisingly they were hard to find and I am not sure that there was enough given the queues at half time. Also it was very crowded at half time and even though its not fully open seemed not to have enough space for the amount of people in it. I saw people coming downstairs - are there no facilities up there?

I just choose any seat so that I could get to see the new stand and was in RO1 which has an angled wall as it divides the Riverside from the Hammy end. The poor guy next to me with his son had two seats, one of which was the last one in the line next to the wall. He bought this ticket but the seat didn't open because if it did it would face directly into the wall that was coming in at an angle. Why on earth would you a) have this seat in place and b) sell it? Luckily one person in our row didn't come or the seat wasn't sold so we all moved up one place. Surely someone should have walked the stands and seen a load of seats that shouldn't be "available" to purchase.? Aside from that the seat was lovely, padded and comfortable and even at that angle it was a good unimpeded view although I wouldn't choose to be in that corner again if I had the choice.

Overall, a great night, good football from us, although lucky with the disallowed goal and the Leeds fans were in great voice...until the first goal at least. COYWs

StuinSalop

I am a season ticket holder in the riverside lower and love it, however:  There are no facilities that I am aware of in the upper section that are open yet, so fans from there have to use the lower area, this puts great pressure on toilets especially at halftime.

It's not unreasonable that the club want to get bums on seats but my seat at £100 a game should have better managed facilities, I am mainly talking about toilets at half-time and it's a bit cheeky of the club to have managed it how they have. Opening up the upper section is great but I has reduced the experience for the lower season ticket holders and in a normal commercial situation, the lower season ticket holders would get some form of compensation, maybe beer vouchers etc.

I imagine once the upper and lower are all kitted out it will be sensational, if they are charging £100 a pop with limited facilities, god knows what they will charge when everything else is available.

mrmicawbers

I would hope the queues will ease up when the stand opens properly.Were thinking of going over there full time,but the facilities have got to live up to the extra costs we will incur.The main reason for our decision to move was to be able to have a drink and food before the game and a leisurely couple after the game.

Terry Towling

Quote from: mrmicawbers on March 01, 2023, 09:37:34 AM
I would hope the queues will ease up when the stand opens properly.Were thinking of going over there full time,but the facilities have got to live up to the extra costs we will incur.The main reason for our decision to move was to be able to have a drink and food before the game and a leisurely couple after the game.

If it pans out as we expect it will be a quality offering..with a associated price!

Terry Towling

Quote from: StuinSalop on March 01, 2023, 09:33:57 AM
I am a season ticket holder in the riverside lower and love it, however:  There are no facilities that I am aware of in the upper section that are open yet, so fans from there have to use the lower area, this puts great pressure on toilets especially at halftime.

It's not unreasonable that the club want to get bums on seats but my seat at £100 a game should have better managed facilities, I am mainly talking about toilets at half-time and it's a bit cheeky of the club to have managed it how they have. Opening up the upper section is great but I has reduced the experience for the lower season ticket holders and in a normal commercial situation, the lower season ticket holders would get some form of compensation, maybe beer vouchers etc.

I imagine once the upper and lower are all kitted out it will be sensational, if they are charging £100 a pop with limited facilities, god knows what they will charge when everything else is available.

Yep I was surprised had how packed it was at half time...still got a beer though but that was at the end of half time break. Camden Hells was awful though! Guinness was good - didn't see any real ale.

SG

The pictures of the stand on the Beeb from across the river (a drone??) looked amazing especially being at night

fulhamfan

HamsterWheel

I had a nice padded seat in the lower section not far from the away dugout. Great view and the best position to watch Manor's goal from!
As others have said, concourse is crowded and loos busy as the upper section currently sharing the facilities.
The sausage roll I noshed was delicious, but at £5 so it blimmin well should have been!

Couple of tiddled chaps near the front were evicted by the stewards after standing up and saluting the Leeds fans half a dozen times. Seemed a complete overreaction.

Hugh Gentry

Went in the Riverside lower for the first time last night. I found it soulless, lacking any kind of atmosphere apart from those who had moved from the Hammersmith End for the night. Too low down, meaning you really can't see the patterns of play and movement across the entire pitch. I cannot wait to get back into my seat in The Hammersmith End.

Ronnief

Having watched matches from all around the ground, I've found I prefer to be in the old enclosure area of the ground. The view from the upper tiers of the Riverside is fantastic and behind either goals is personal preference. The lower level of the Riverside is good in the centre area but because of Spectator movement vision can be obscured at both ends. Still the best ground in the Country to watch football. COYW
092.gif

SP

Quote from: Ronnief on March 01, 2023, 08:38:42 PM
Having watched matches from all around the ground, I've found I prefer to be in the old enclosure area of the ground. The view from the upper tiers of the Riverside is fantastic and behind either goals is personal preference. The lower level of the Riverside is good in the centre area but because of Spectator movement vision can be obscured at both ends. Still the best ground in the Country to watch football. COYW
092.gif

I know common sense doesn't feature much in modern life but return the Enclosure back to standing like it used to be. The atmosphere in there used to be great.  If there's a perceived security risk, make it members only so they can control who's in there.

Terry Towling

Thought I would update this as I went to the man City game and sat in the upper area near to the away support - two tickets at an eyewatering £100 each. My daughter is a Man city fan and this was the first time she had been to a match.

Match day was great. Got into London and eat breakfast at the Weatherspoons at St Pancras station. Headed down to Hammersmith and my daughter was bale to buy some things in the Japanese shop on the station and eventually got into the Crabtree. Nice couple of pints there, liked the queuing system they have in place - saves the anxiety of people pushing in!

Got to the ground about an hour and a half before kick off as my daughter wanted to see the players warm up and so got a pint and a pie. Easy access in this time, nice day, beer seemed much cheaper £4.70 or something like that rather than the £7-8 I am sure I paid on the cup game - are they listening to the supporters?

Seat was lovely, comfortable and the view was great - nice to watch the away support. It was interesting to see that there were no facilities at all on the upper tier - are these all going to be corporate when/if they open?

This time there was plenty of space, got beer and used the loo at half time no drama - maybe because I got there about 3 mins before half time. Didn't seem like the bun fight that it was at the cup game. maybe because I was at the other end?

All in all, apart from the result, a quality day out. Do I think its worth £3000 a season? Nope. However, as a one off it was very pleasent.

KentFulham

What we all want to see next season is some investment in the Hammersmith end facilities! I am 39 now, and have been going since I was 11, the toilets have not changed! In fact, they are worse than ever, they have a rather agricultural aroma and feel to them.

Seano

Quote from: KentFulham on May 16, 2023, 12:20:54 PMWhat we all want to see next season is some investment in the Hammersmith end facilities! I am 39 now, and have been going since I was 11, the toilets have not changed! In fact, they are worse than ever, they have a rather agricultural aroma and feel to them.

I've been going up the Hammersmith End since 1974, and they havnt changed much since then, apart from regularly leaving a mop and bucket in the tiny entrance. But hate to say it, they are still better than the Riverside at half time, which is just a heaving mass of bodies queuing to get into one of the two small toilets. Unless there are toilets and exits upstairs there, I'm guessing they can't get a licence to open the whole stand, hence the 4 year wait!