watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Should Fulham accept the £60m

Started by H4usuallysitting, April 16, 2023, 09:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

for Joao Palhinha....as rumoured in today's press.... If we're to sell him, he's on a very long contract - I'd want more

Kimbleman

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 16, 2023, 09:17:21 AMfor Joao Palhinha....as rumoured in today's press.... If we're to sell him, he's on a very long contract - I'd want more

NO....he is essential to our midfield. To our club he is priceless. All clubs sniffing around it should made very clear that he's not for sale at any price.

SP

No, but it does worry me that he's been tapped up already.

I Ronic

He's been one of the reasons we've done so well. However should we hold him back? and would the kind of money being talked about not benifit us?
   Joao's progress with us this season will have a huge influence in persuading others to come to the club.
   Personally I'd like him to say 'I like here, I don't want to go anywhere for the moment.'

Andy S

The long contracts are about spreading costs for the purpose of FFP. I say yes sell him and use the money wisely. Every player has his price

FFC1987

Quote from: I Ronic on April 16, 2023, 10:11:52 AMHe's been one of the reasons we've done so well. However should we hold him back? and would the kind of money being talked about not benifit us?
   Joao's progress with us this season will have a huge influence in persuading others to come to the club.
   Personally I'd like him to say 'I like here, I don't want to go anywhere for the moment.'

He's worth more to us than £60m and the clubs looking at him we're bidding obscene amounts on say Rice for over £100m....appreciating the English tax, he's worth more than £60m. He signed a potential 6 year+ deal with us and based on some very good analysis on FFP, you'd assume the squad will see some decent investment again this summer so keeping him a further season won't do him any harm.

I mentioned to a poster recently I worry about how we finish, what next season means and the likelihood of losing Palhinha. I'm starting to change my mind on that and the future seems rosier after a decent result away to a struggling side post defeats to Bournemouth and Westham. Funny old game ain't it.

3rdgenfan

I think if we sell players like Joao Palhinha it sends the wrong message about our ambitions. Admittedly we will unlikely be a top four club but we should aim for Europe each season.

Joao is a Marco signing and if he is sold Marco may consider offers to move to another club as well

FFC1987

Quote from: 3rdgenfan on April 16, 2023, 10:21:01 AMI think if we sell players like Joao Palhinha it sends the wrong message about our ambitions. Admittedly we will unlikely be a top four club but we should aim for Europe each season.

Joao is a Marco signing and if he is sold Marco may consider offers to move to another club as well

On the flip side, Marco might also be salivating at the prospect of an additional £60m+ transfer kitty with sensible replacements at cost lined up meaning he can massively invest in other areas as well. Tough ask to replace mind, but seeing how amazing our and Marco's recruitment has been....it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

hkfulham

If he was 24yo I would have no issues making him stay a few more years.  At 27, he has a couple of years left of having a crack at the CL/'big' team.  One more season feels right, and then I think he has done enough to send him on his way with our best wishes.

blingo

If we sell him we will get relegated next season. It's that simple.

Deeping_white

The problem is that statistically he's the best "destroyer" DM in the PL and was one of the best in Europe last season too when you look at his output. To replace that defensive output you'd have to go a bit moneyball and accept you're unlikely to replace him with someone as good, and probably sign two players who have similar defensive qualities to share the duties and provide some offensive output to counteract it. We don't need to sell and there's no reason why we should consider anything short of £70m when you see the massive money the big six have been dropping on some dross recently, and the fact that he's a proven PL player. I'd rather we sold Pereira at the rumoured £35m asking price because that's a huge profit and from an FFP perspective it allows 3x 30m signings on 5 year deals with no negative impact on finances, as an example.

SerbianLad

No. Leno, Palhinha and Mitro should be the spine of the team in my opinion. Everyone else is replaceable (some are obviously more difficult to replace then others but these 3 aren't in my opinion). These three shouldn't be sold no matter what the offer is (well maybe if it's something like 100-120 million or some crazy offer like that).

filham

Depends on what Palhinha wants, if he wants a move to a top sx club with higher wages ,European football and chanece of Silverware then afraid we have to let him go but lets make sure we squeeze all of £60m from the lucky purchaser.
If he is happy to tay with us for another season or two then we keep him, a player of his quality is not replaceable.

blingo

Quote from: filham on April 16, 2023, 10:44:43 AMDepends on what Palhinha wants, if he wants a move to a top sx club with higher wages ,European football and chanece of Silverware then afraid we have to let him go but lets make sure we squeeze all of £60m from the lucky purchaser.
If he is happy to tay with us for another season or two then we keep him, a player of his quality is not replaceable.

We don't have to let him go. It's why contracts exist between clubs and players

toshes mate

Very few clubs outside the top six who sell high value assets benefit from the loss and find replacement too difficult.  If you have a classy recruitment unit then perhaps you already have a best fit lined up either just in case or because you can benefit whichever way way it goes.  The whole hinges on just how good your recruitment unit is.  At FFC we know that well enough don't we?   

Southcoastffc

Quote from: blingo on April 16, 2023, 10:32:30 AMIf we sell him we will get relegated next season. It's that simple.
It isn't, it really isn't.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

wback

£60m is a nice number. We've never sold a player for that before. I would think some top teams would pay it, though they should know that they don't get a 'complete' player for that money - his passing isn't all that, and 10+ bookings and probably the odd red is going to be an issue for some. Feels close to the top for what we could get for him, given just one season in the league.

Say it is Liverpool... I'd say £70m plus first refusal on one of their long list of unwanted midfielders would be a good mix. Perhaps Bacjetic on a season-long loan? I know he's occasionally making their team, but he's clearly not quite ready for them.

And yes, replace him with 2-3 younger models. I'd trust Silva to get the best out of them.

We will need 2-3 more midfielders anyway - Lukic looks a little leggy, Cairney won't start, Reed could do with the odd rest and there's nothing much coming through from the youth setup right now.

colinwhite

I like Paulinha and he´s been brilliant for us this season. But its one thing to play for us and be  a fantastic ball winner and recycler of possession and something quite different to play for a top side who have the ball most of the time.Paulhinia is best seen in a team like ours, his strength is out of possession. On the ball hes good but not perhaps at the level of the top midfielders in the league. This is why we got him in the first place and likely why some of the speculation about him is exaggerated. Great player for us and I can't see us letting him go.

H4usuallysitting

I'd be reasonably happy at £80m+.... But really hope he stays

hovewhite

Think we should be looking for a quality back up anyway as he will move on at some point.
Think 85 million is a good price.