News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What if Zamora comes back and is row Z again?

Started by AmericanJames, January 16, 2011, 09:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanJames

He has had one season where we were fully behind him, if memory serves me right we we not exactly fond of him 2 yrs ago (4 goals in 41 total appearances). Hate to play devils advocate here but there is the possibility that he never returns to lasts yrs form and other than a move this transfer window we are stuck w/ AJ and Dembele up front.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

TonyGilroy

It's the old story.

Zamora played wonderfully well when he wasn't scoring holding up the ball and bringing others into play. It doesn't matter who scores the goals.

mrska

I agree with Tony.. Zamoras general play.. hold up the ball and laying it off to others is something we've missed this season. When Bobbys playing, there is no need for long balls. Play the ball to him.. he holds it up  and brings other into the game. The thought of a fit Dembele and a fit Zamora playing together excites me.

BalDrick

'The thought of a fit Dembele and a fit Zamora playing together excites me.'

It excites me too but I am getting more and more concerned that those in charge of the chequebook at the club are waiting for him to come back rather than splashing the cash. I know January's a horrible window but it's been blatantly obvious since the 2nd half against Wolves at home that we need a striker, yet here we are midway through January and still nobody. And I don't care if he's trying, in life trying's not always enough, you have to succeed.

We won't get a point off next weekend's opposition without a proper front man. And glad though I am for AJ, he is not the answer.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Burt

Ah yes, but what if Zamora comes back and is not row Z?

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts...

I agree with BalDrick's comments. The Jan transfer window plays against clubs like us (low budget, tight wages) and I suspect the temptation on the club's part will be to view the return to fitness of AJ, Dembele and BZ as akin to 3 new signings...

epsomraver

Bobby really came into his own when AJ was injured, the reality is that they do not gel.

Lighthouse

Well BZ can play alongside another target player so not to bring one in and gamble BZ will hit the ground running instead clutching a strain or injury is pushing it. BZ and AJ may well play better together under Hughes. We will have to wait and see. Dembele is not a central player to play off anybody but a great wider player. If we bring in players or a player who can fit into the centre and allow our players to play in the natural positions then we really will be a good side.

But expecting BZ to come back and play as our only target player and expect a scoring wide player to be his partner is just not the answer.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

epsomraver

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 16, 2011, 10:49:59 AM
Well BZ can play alongside another target player so not to bring one in and gamble BZ will hit the ground running instead clutching a strain or injury is pushing it. BZ and AJ may well play better together under Hughes. We will have to wait and see. Dembele is not a central player to play off anybody but a great wider player. If we bring in players or a player who can fit into the centre and allow our players to play in the natural positions then we really will be a good side.

But expecting BZ to come back and play as our only target player and expect a scoring wide player to be his partner is just not the answer.
Exactly and where does Johnson play, wide right, exactly what I said earlier, they do not gel.

VicHalomsLovechild

As Raver pointed out BZ came into his own when AJ was injured. It also lead to Gera finding his role in the team as well. He supplied and fed off BZ alot last season. With Gera not getting a regular start BZ will have to fit into a new set up. Not easy.

TonyGilroy

We don't know how close Zamora is to returning and that must be an important part of the club's calculation.

We also don't really know who the club is targeting and what any deal may be dependent on.

Meanwhile Dembele made a big difference and I think that without reinforcements we are steadily improving.

Lighthouse

I think we are in danger of missing the point. AJ and BZ didn't gel because they both played into space down the wings. So when one had the ball there was nobody in the middle. Hopefully that may change under a new manager. Gera played as a supporting striker because we had no other and it suited our 11 man defence with the odd breakaway.

Now we either continue to play like that or we play the more attacking way Hughes seems to prefer. A different system may well be better for both players than it was under Roy. We will have to wait and see. Which is why ANOTHER target striker is important.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

I'm undecided. We looked dangerous once Dembele came on and had several near misses. There are ways of playing without a target man

McBridefan1

Ya see I wasn't one of those fans that thought he was useless when he wasn't scoring... admittedly he was a striker and in a perfect world you want your strikers to score 12 goals minimum... but Bob's play was just as important, as others have said holding up play and keeping possession at critical times also contributed to the over all team play. He was the only player a couple years ago that always looked in control when he had possession of the ball in the final third... and after the rest of the team acclimatised themselves to bobby then the goals started to come... of course once he put in a couple it was a huge relief for him and you noticed it when he was taking more shots with confidence. I don't think he'll have that same pressure coming back as he did first coming into the squad.

LRCN

he was a good player for us when we finished 7th. the season after he was a fantastic one. either way he would add to any team pushing for the top ten, goals or not, and i can't wait for him to come back.

McBridefan1

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 16, 2011, 11:26:55 AM
I'm undecided. We looked dangerous once Dembele came on and had several near misses. There are ways of playing without a target man

different opponents will call for different personnel obviously, having Bob and or Dembele is a nice change of pace.

alfie

Quote from: AmericanJames on January 16, 2011, 09:57:24 AM
He has had one season where we were fully behind him, if memory serves me right we we not exactly fond of him 2 yrs ago (4 goals in 41 total appearances). Hate to play devils advocate here but there is the possibility that he never returns to lasts yrs form and other than a move this transfer window we are stuck w/ AJ and Dembele up front.

What if??
Sorry i find this a little bit pointless, what if Hangerland breaks a leg in training or Hughes or anyone, you just have to deal with it, he is not going to come back to the form he was in for a while, i would not expect much from him for the rest of the season, would be absolutely great if he was to prove me wrong, but we have to play the waiting game and ease him back in steadily.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Oakeshott

I don't agree with the view that Bobby came into his own only after AJ was injured. Early last season Bobby and AJ seemed to me to be gelling very well and in the game at home against Perm looked devastating together until the Perm thug assaulted AJ.

The reality is that we have several players - AJ, Zoltan and Moussa in particular - who will feed off Bobby's work and score goals. Our problem since Bobby's injury is that, given Hughes' apparent view of Elm, we have no one else who can play the Bobby role even half effectively. That is why personally I'd like that Steve Morison rumour to have been true: a strong and competent though not world-stirring guy who wouldn't cost a fortune in wages, seems to work tirelessly, and would be a great substitute for Bobby when as at present he is not available.

Senior Supporter

Quote from: Oakeshott on January 16, 2011, 12:05:28 PM
I don't agree with the view that Bobby came into his own only after AJ was injured. Early last season Bobby and AJ seemed to me to be gelling very well and in the game at home against Perm looked devastating together until the Perm thug assaulted AJ.

The reality is that we have several players - AJ, Zoltan and Moussa in particular - who will feed off Bobby's work and score goals. Our problem since Bobby's injury is that, given Hughes' apparent view of Elm, we have no one else who can play the Bobby role even half effectively. That is why personally I'd like that James Morison rumour to have been true: a strong and competent though not world-stirring guy who wouldn't cost a fortune in wages, seems to work tirelessly, and would be a great substitute for Bobby when as at present he is not available.

I was pleased to read this Oakeshott, because I was worried that my memory was starting to play tricks, with so many people resurrecting the "Zamora and AJ can't play together" theory. I'm sure that, in the period before AJ's injury, there were several games where they started to develop a really promising partnership. I really don't think there was a connection between BZ finding form and AJ getting injured. 

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Oakeshott on January 16, 2011, 12:05:28 PM
That is why personally I'd like that James Morison rumour to have been true: a strong and competent though not world-stirring guy who wouldn't cost a fortune in wages, seems to work tirelessly, and would be a great substitute for Bobby when as at present he is not available.

I think you mean Steve Morison! :wine:

Oakeshott