watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Corked Hat

Started by OldBrownShoe, January 17, 2011, 06:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldBrownShoe

As I hope most of you will know the extensive floods in western Victoria include Rupanyup where our Corked Hat lives. Yesterday his local community rallied round and sandbagged his house but the outlook didn't look good. A few hours ago he emailed me a few lines to say that he was about to lose power so doesn't know when he will be in a position to next write. 

Fingers crossed,prayer mats out, let's hope the waters soon abate.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

CorkedHat

Thank you OBS for doing that. The power outage luckily did not last long but tomorrow might be a different story.
I am hopeful that after tomorrow's peak river rise that the floods will begin to subside but tomorrow it might very well get worse before it gets better.
We lost a young kid to the floods today but our loss of life is nothing compared to what Queensland and other places round the globe have had to suffer.
For that. we in Victoria are very grateful.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

The Equalizer

I've been keeping in touch with the Corked one on Facebook. I hope he heads off to a local shelter, ie, The Rupanyup Rubadub. I hear that all sorts of lethal beasties try and invade your house when it's flooded.

Fingers crossed!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Peabody

Take care CH, just keep yourself safe

LBNo11

...he moves to the middle of nowhere to have a quiet life and this happens! He has been busier in retirement than in his working life!

I hope everything is OK with the Fulham Bard and no doubt he is working on a descriptive poem of recent events..!

In the meantime here is a link to the Rupuyanp community site photo gallery of the recent floods:-

http://www.rupanyup.com.au/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=24&gid=19
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Doctor

Best wishes to you and the good people of Rupanyup, CorkedHat.  I hope the waters recede sharpish, that normality is restored and that there is no repeat

LBNo11

CorkedHat

Quote from: LBNo11 on January 17, 2011, 11:53:00 AM
...he moves to the middle of nowhere to have a quiet life and this happens! He has been busier in retirement than in his working life!

I hope everything is OK with the Fulham Bard and no doubt he is working on a descriptive poem of recent events..!

In the meantime here is a link to the Rupuyanp community site photo gallery of the recent floods:-

http://www.rupanyup.com.au/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=24&gid=19

Thanks Ed - if you look at the first two pictures in that gallery they are taken from my street just thirty yards from my back door. Fortunately we are not experiencing a torrent or tsunami and if we can survive tomorrow's peak then we believe that the flood levels will subside,
As Tom says I have kept people informed on fb and they will know that the love and care I have received from the people round here has been humbling. They were sandbagging my house at 1am this morning and they had been at it all day without any rest. The Community spirit is priceless.
Thank you too, to everyone in the Fulham family who have sent messages of goodwill. They are most appreciated.

CorkedHat

If you look at photo P1140117 the bloke standing outside the pub with the slouch hat and his hands on his hips is my best mate, Dusty the Shepherd.
Dusty was one of the people sandbagging my joint at 1am this morning, but take a good look at him because you'll never see him standing outside a pub again. Going in – yes. Staggering out – yes, but just standing there – never.
:down_under:

epsomraver

Keep those arm bands blown up John, I hope the water recedes before it gets into your home, keep safe mate

Airfix

Sod all that.  Have you got Luscious Linda pumped up yet?

CorkedHat

Quote from: Airfix on January 17, 2011, 12:20:21 PM

Alas she punctured herself. She let me down. She let her mates down and she let herself down :027:

Airfix

Probably for the best.  By the time you got her pumped up, you'd have no breath to do anything else!

VB

Quote from: CorkedHat on January 17, 2011, 12:33:33 PM
Quote from: Airfix on January 17, 2011, 12:20:21 PM

Alas she punctured herself. She let me down. She let her mates down and she let herself down :027:

wow, the girl that keeps on giving?
she keeps on going down! on people :001:
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

finnster01

Have you managed to keep the pub open? Dusty The Shepherd looked rather worried on that photo.

Look after yourself John and the very best of luck with the water. Hope your house escapes. :045:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CorkedHat

Quote from: finnster01 on January 17, 2011, 12:38:54 PM
Have you managed to keep the pub open? Dusty The Shepherd looked rather worried on that photo.

Look after yourself John and the very best of luck with the water. Hope your house escapes. :045:

Dusty had every reason to be worried. The lads were waiting for the sandbags to arrive and they were overdue. The pub is sandbagged now, however, and they have pumped water away from the entrance so although they weren't open today I have it on very good authority that they will be tomorrow.
Dusty's house is surrounded by water but so far he's managed to keep water out of the actual home. His yard, however, is swimming with deadly King Brown snakes looking for refuge. Wouldn't it be fun to find one in your bed with you - forget about the blow-up dolls  :dft011:

finnster01

This chap would make good :handbags:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CorkedHat

Quote from: finnster01 on January 17, 2011, 01:04:33 PM
This chap would make good :handbags:

These fellas are relatively common in Rupanyup. Maybe we could become the handbag capital of the world. :019:

RidgeRider

a new business venture for you Mr. Hat? Lemons and lemonade and all that?

Glad your power is still on and hope the rain finally stops!

Hearing about how bad things are down there and how much it has effected peoples lives, makes you stop and think that in the grand scheme of things, I really don't have much to complain about.

Stay safe.

LBNo11