https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

State of play

Started by Coast94, July 29, 2023, 11:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coast94

At the time of writing, this looks like our best XI:

Leno (Rodak)
Robinson, Bassey (Ream), Diop (Tosin), Tete (Mbabu)
Palhinha, Reed (Lukic)
Willian, Andreas (Cairney), Wilson (BDR)
Vinicius (Jimenez)

Plus a few of the kids, like Harris and Stansfield. No Mitro for obvious reasons...

How do you think we're shaping up? Which positions should be a priority to strengthen?

Depth is obviously a problem but Hudson-Odoi looks fairly imminent. We definitely need a versatile fullback, Joao backup and another attacking midfielder. If Tosin, Mbabu and Mitro go, they'll also have to be replaced - with a marquee CF to come in.

Busy few weeks ahead but I don't think things look too bad on paper. Especially with Joao and Silva still at the club!

Lazybones

Quote from: Coast94 on July 29, 2023, 11:41:22 AMAt the time of writing, this looks like our best XI:
Palhinha, Reed (Lukic...

João's out injured, of course — still unknown how long unless I've missed something — which strengthens even more your thoughts about the need for more defensive midfielders.

ffcthereligion

When looking at that line up, for me the blatant priorities are a starting CF and a starting RW.

If we do not sign either of those then I think we will definitely regress from last season.

We of course won't stay injury free. So we then also need a back up LW, back up CM and back up RB, in my opinion.

Also need back up CB if we can't keep tosin.

ffc73

Back up LB is Bassey or Ream with the other at LCB.

Mbabu for me is a good RB cover.

hovewhite

Back up for Palhinia ,a winger, CB striker.

S.F.Sorrow

Our best starting 11 looks reasonably strong but I'm still worried that our current squad will see us relegated, for a number of reasons:

-I don't expect the players to start the season with the energy of a newly promoted team like they did last season. We collected a lot of important points early in the season, which clearly took a lot of pressure off the players and the manager. 0 points after 2-3 games and the pressure starts building. Recovering from a poor start can be VERY tough in the Premier League.

-Statistically we overachieved last season. We had lots of narrow wins. We scored more goals then xG would suggest. Leno made more saves than he statistically should. Of course statistics are statistics... but this is still cause for concern IMO.

-We have lost a LOT of squad depth. We are only a couple of injuries/suspensions away from starting youngsters. Lets face it, a 17 year old RB who looked impressive at CB in a pre-season friendly would still be a complete disaster in the PL. Not just for the team but for the future development of a very talented player too.

-Will Jimenez be a success? Vinicius has improved a lot lately but I'm still not convinced he is good enough to be a regular starter in the Premier League.

Of course there's still plenty of time to strengthen the squad but with out CURRENT squad I think we might  be heading for a relegation fight. We simply don't have the squad depth for a full season.

General

Palhinha told fans on the US tour that he expects to be back for the Everton season opener apparently.

The one I have a query round, though its Reeds place to lose and he has done well so far in the US, is whether Lukic will replace him. There's just something about Lukic that makes me think this will be a different season to last. The guy was very good at Torino and their captain, good on the ball, showed strength and scored and got assists. More familiar with Marco, the team, the league and having also apparently had a decent showing against Villa it'll be interesting to see who gets the nod in that position long term.

I'd add Mitro into the starting lineup but that's because I'd have him in there and think he's quality if he's still here and focused come the start of the season and end of transfer window.

RAY Rock ????

Jimenez start ahead of Vinicius all day everyday.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: RAY Rock ???? on July 29, 2023, 03:28:02 PMJimenez start ahead of Vinicius all day everyday.

Probably, but we'll just have to wait and see. There's no guarantee Jimenez will be a success. I'm not saying Vinicius should be a regular started but at least he has improved. He certainly looks like a better player now than a couple of months ago and he might just provide us with the goals we need. Probably not for 7th but maybe enough to survive, which is all I hope for this season to be honest. If we survive this season I will be far more optimistic about our chances to establish ourselves as a top-half Premier League club. But this second season will be a VERY tough challenge for the players, the manager and our rectruitment team.

General

Quote from: RAY Rock ???? on July 29, 2023, 03:28:02 PMJimenez start ahead of Vinicius all day everyday.

That's definitely an interesting debate..

Vini scored three and assisted 1 in his last five games of last season.

Jimenez has been off form since his injury.

Statistically vini is currently the in form striker, but if Jimenez got his old form back, then we could find ourselves with three potentially very good strikers on our hands, which would be a first in my time at the club.

Vini scored 6 and assisted 6 in 23 games for PSV before he joined us, but 14 of those games he played less than 1 half of football.

He hardly played at all for spurs the season before that, but in the europa league he scored and assisted 9 goals in 9 games.

The season before that at Benfica his scored and assisted 26 goals.

He's really not that bad at all, just never seems to get a proper run in the team.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/carlos-vinicius/leistungsdaten/spieler/525287/plus/0?saison=2019

Last season Jimenez hardly had anything noteworthy to mention

The season before he scored and assisted 10 goals

The one before that he was injured in match 10 and out for rest of the season.

You have to go back four seasons to get to the one where he scored 17 PL goals and took the piss.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/raul-jimenez/leistungsdaten/spieler/206040/plus/0?saison=2019

The hope is he rediscovers that form, but if he does, perhaps there's a way to play all three up front at the same time? Would be silly to just use one up front if they all hit form.

Take Wilson off the wings, maybe put willian in pereiras position as an AM..

May be too radical a move, but is an option..

Vincius------mitro------jimenez

----------Willian--------------

-----reed/lukic----palhinha------

Robinson--bassey---diop-----tete

-------------leno--------------

bill taylors apprentice

It surprises me that Rodak doesn't appear to be leaving.
Why do I say that, well if he was looking to find regular football we may not hear about it but will of heard about the club looking for a replacement before he can leave.       So far I've seen or heard nothing.

Mbabu really hasn't shown more than a glimpse of ability but plenty of concern as back up to Tete.
If he was an up and coming player on a lower salary he may be worth persevering with but he's not and he just looks out of place IMO.

We have 4 CB's and only need another if Tosin leaves.

Bassey is more than a fill in at LB but maybe a loanee as cover for Robinson.

We can only play 2 of Reed, Luckic & Palhinha but another quality addition is required.

Willian, Andreas & Wilson will start most games if fit while TC will be cover and BDR will continue as the utility player.

Muniz will go (shame as I think he has some quality) and Vini will start at CF (at least for the first game)
Jiminez may alternate between CF or play more of a 10 at times if we adjust the front line.

Can't see any youngsters forcing their way into the team (or being given much of a chance) and the rest will be moved on in some way.

CH-Odoi will be a good signing and I believe plays on either wing or as a wide 10.

BUT we do need another wide man and ideally a quality CF in his prime

LC

I think Wilson will surprise a few people this season. With Hudson Odoi, who can play on both wings, coming in I think we will be okay.

A centre forward is a must though. Even if Mitrovic stays we need a centre forward- so probably 2 forwards. With one of those forwards being able to play across the front line. 

We need more goals in the team and that's something we could struggle with this season.

We obviously need a couple of full backs and cover at centre back if Tosin leaves, and probably another central midfielder

Deuce

Quote from: Coast94 on July 29, 2023, 11:41:22 AMAt the time of writing, this looks like our best XI:

Leno (Rodak)
Palhinha, Reed (Lukic)
Vinicius (Jimenez)

Plus a few of the kids, like Harris and Stansfield. No Mitro for obvious reasons...

How do you think we're shaping up? Which positions should be a priority to strengthen?

Depth is obviously a problem but Hudson-Odoi looks fairly imminent. We definitely need a versatile fullback, Joao backup and another attacking midfielder. If Tosin, Mbabu and Mitro go, they'll also have to be replaced - with a marquee CF to come in.

Busy few weeks ahead but I don't think things look too bad on paper. Especially with Joao and Silva still at the club!

Im so so sorry for being like this but looking at the way you lined that up hurt my eyes, you mirrored it basically. i'll adjust it, im so sorry

THIS is the line up you mean:

Leno (Rodak)
Tete (Mbabu), Diop (Tosin), Ream(Bassey), Robinson(Bassey)
Reed (Lukic), Palhinha
Wilson (BDR), Andreas (Cairney), Willian (BDR)
Jimenez (Mitro)

A couple of changes:
1. I know Ream is injured, and perhaps that what you meant, but if all were fit and injury free then imo its Reams spot until it isnt. But yeah, Bassey gets a head start and if he plays well it will be difficult for Ream to get back in.
2. Bassey is originally a full back, and hes certainly got the attributes for it. So as long as hes "on the bench" I see him as a perfectly good backup for Robinson.
3. BDR could just as easily play on the left. I know he played mostly on the right but that was more out of necessity last season than anything else, at least to a start.
4. As things stand  right now. Jimenez to start ahead of Mitro, but Mitro still ahead of Vini in that first game against Everton. Absolutley no chance to risk losing valuable points just to prove Mitro a point by not including him. Bring him on if things arent going our way. We desperatly need those 3 points

filham

The best we could do is to start with the line up that finished last season and gradually blend in a couple of new signings who are improvements.
We cannot easily do this as we are without Mitro and Ream, Periera and Palhinha may not be fully fit. Silva has difficulty in selecting his team.

Without doubt the biggest problem is the striker, Mitro stood out and provided the precious goals. Unless Vinni or Jiminez show form in the last two friendlies we are likely to find goals very hard to come by at the start of the season.

Lazybones

Quote from: Coast94 on July 29, 2023, 11:41:22 AMHow do you think we're shaping up? Which positions should be a priority to strengthen?

Silva pretty much agrees with you in a press conference just now:

?s=61&t=g5JHWVohP__KHMxb-NvOzA

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on July 29, 2023, 07:33:58 PMWithout doubt the biggest problem is the striker.

I think Jimenez, Vinicius, Muniz and Stansfield form a decent centre forward lineup with heavy rotation until deadline day. After deadline day, Mitro or his replacement (possibly a loan player) will surely soon be in the starting XI, with the best two of our four centre forwards in the squad and the other two sold (or on loan in the Chanpionship). I don't think that is a problem, we should be able to get a very good centre forward if Mitro leaves, either permanent or loan.

For me, the problematic area is we need a bit of long-term depth at centre-back and on the wing with only Diop, Bassey and Wilson signed up for next years preseason.

joemole

I just don't understand why we let Kebano go when we  didn't have a better replacement. I thought he was more than good enough last season.

ianthailand

Quote from: Deuce on July 29, 2023, 06:36:41 PM

Leno (Rodak)
Palhinha, Reed (Lukic)
Vinicius (Jimenez)

Im so so sorry for being like this but looking at the way you lined that up hurt my eyes, you mirrored it basically. i'll adjust it, im so sorry

THIS is the line up you mean:

Leno (Rodak)
Tete (Mbabu), Diop (Tosin), Ream(Bassey), Robinson(Bassey)
Reed (Lukic), Palhinha
Wilson (BDR), Andreas (Cairney), Willian (BDR)
Jimenez (Mitro)

A couple of changes:
1. I know Ream is injured, and perhaps that what you meant, but if all were fit and injury free then imo its Reams spot until it isnt. But yeah, Bassey gets a head start and if he plays well it will be difficult for Ream to get back in.
2. Bassey is originally a full back, and hes certainly got the attributes for it. So as long as hes "on the bench" I see him as a perfectly good backup for Robinson.
3. BDR could just as easily play on the left. I know he played mostly on the right but that was more out of necessity last season than anything else, at least to a start.
4. As things stand  right now. Jimenez to start ahead of Mitro, but Mitro still ahead of Vini in that first game against Everton. Absolutley no chance to risk losing valuable points just to prove Mitro a point by not including him. Bring him on if things arent going our way. We desperatly need those 3 points
Jimenez can also play as a N0. 10.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: joemole on July 30, 2023, 05:33:23 AMI just don't understand why we let Kebano go when we  didn't have a better replacement. I thought he was more than good enough last season.

Here's the problem with us fans looking at an issue through a narrow window.

As I understand it, after winning promotion under Parker he signed a new 2 year contract with a 1 year option (taken up) where he doubled his money to £30,000 a week.

This summer the contract finished and at 31 years old I'm sure his priority was to extend his career and his income.

We will never know what FFC offered him but it's reasonable to say it would have been 1 year and no more money at best.

He would have backed himself but with the club looking to build on last season seen the writing on the wall.

Therefore any reasonable offer would be considered and so it proved by signing for a team in the UAE (owned by Mansour, Man City etc) where he can play and earn with with a 2 year contract in his pocket.

Maybe not his first choice but it's keeping him in work.

Cobh Fulham Fan

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 29, 2023, 03:14:51 PMOur best starting 11 looks reasonably strong but I'm still worried that our current squad will see us relegated, for a number of reasons:

-I don't expect the players to start the season with the energy of a newly promoted team like they did last season. We collected a lot of important points early in the season, which clearly took a lot of pressure off the players and the manager. 0 points after 2-3 games and the pressure starts building. Recovering from a poor start can be VERY tough in the Premier
League.

I can see why you are called Sorrow. Can you not look at it from the opposite perspective and consider that if we can pip Everton in the opening game, we might then kick on from there with out next game at home?

-Statistically we overachieved last season. We had lots of narrow wins. We scored more goals then xG would suggest. Leno made more saves than he statistically should. Of course statistics are statistics... but this is still cause for concern IMO.

-We have lost a LOT of squad depth. We are only a couple of injuries/suspensions away from starting youngsters. Lets face it, a 17 year old RB who looked impressive at CB in a pre-season friendly would still be a complete disaster in the PL. Not just for the team but for the future development of a very talented player too.

-Will Jimenez be a success? Vinicius has improved a lot lately but I'm still not convinced he is good enough to be a regular starter in the Premier League.

Of course there's still plenty of time to strengthen the squad but with out CURRENT squad I think we might  be heading for a relegation fight. We simply don't have the squad depth for a full season.

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 29, 2023, 03:14:51 PMOur best starting 11 looks reasonably strong but I'm still worried that our current squad will see us relegated, for a number of reasons:

-I don't expect the players to start the season with the energy of a newly promoted team like they did last season. We collected a lot of important points early in the season, which clearly took a lot of pressure off the players and the manager. 0 points after 2-3 games and the pressure starts building. Recovering from a poor start can be VERY tough in the Premier League.