watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham rugby

Started by perry geyton, July 30, 2023, 05:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry geyton

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 30, 2023, 10:47:11 PMPlayed Sunday morning football, a few pints in the pub afterwards,down to the Cottage for the Rugby league and a few more pints while watching from the Stevenage Rd Stand.

Then home for grub & a kip before going out again to the Pub (Jolly Gardeners,Golden Gloves etc) and a ruby to finish.

Happy days.

And they say it's a day of rest..

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 30, 2023, 10:47:11 PMPlayed Sunday morning football, a few pints in the pub afterwards,down to the Cottage for the Rugby league and a few more pints while watching from the Stevenage Rd Stand.

Then home for grub & a kip before going out again to the Pub (Jolly Gardeners,Golden Gloves etc) and a ruby to finish.

Happy days.

Excellent :-
You are an example to us all. 🏉 🍺
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ffcne

Great times on a Sunday afternoon.
Some decent crowds as well.
Seem to remember late 80s going to watch them
at Polytechnic ground by Chiswick bridge.

Penfold

Quote from: ffcne on July 31, 2023, 09:48:37 AMGreat times on a Sunday afternoon.
Some decent crowds as well.
Seem to remember late 80s going to watch them
at Polytechnic ground by Chiswick bridge.

One of their many home venues after leaving Craven Cottage. I think the name Fulham was dropped around 1992? Made sense as they hadn't played in Fulham since 1984. I believe they became London Crusaders. Then London Broncos, Harlequins RL and back to London Broncos.

gang

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on July 31, 2023, 01:02:22 AMIf my memory serves me well, I think it was Rochdale Hornets
I saw them play the only game I went to ?

Big shock when we lost that game.

deadcowboys

Quote from: cmg on July 30, 2023, 06:06:56 PM
Quote from: Motspur Park on July 30, 2023, 05:46:04 PMLoved going. Reg Bowden was captain if I remember.

Yes. And a very affable and entertaining bloke he was, too. One of the great features of the Sunday matches at the Cottage was talking and drinking with the players in the bar after the game.
Bowden was determined to make Rugby League a success in London and almost succeeded.
Tony Karalius was hooker that first season and told us hilarious stories of the exploits of his brother Vince, one of the all-time great rugby players.
John Dalgreen was hooker a bit later and became the only Fulham player to get a Great Britain cap (v Australia).
He was once suspended 'sine die' by the RL authorities for laying an opponent out, rather amusingly reduced to a somewhat more reasonable two weeks on appeal.

In fact he laid hands on the referee, Gerry Kershaw in a manner that made Mitro look a pussy.

cmg

Quote from: deadcowboys on July 31, 2023, 11:40:14 AM
Quote from: cmg on July 30, 2023, 06:06:56 PM
Quote from: Motspur Park on July 30, 2023, 05:46:04 PMLoved going. Reg Bowden was captain if I remember.

...John Dalgreen was hooker a bit later and became the only Fulham player to get a Great Britain cap (v Australia).
He was once suspended 'sine die' by the RL authorities for laying an opponent out, rather amusingly reduced to a somewhat more reasonable two weeks on appeal.

In fact he laid hands on the referee, Gerry Kershaw in a manner that made Mitro look a pussy.

I suppose,then, the authorities were entitled to get a bit upset, although, under certain circumstances it might be justified in terming the referee 'an opponent' - especially if you were a hooker!

SP

Great memories, still got my original shirt somewhere but I doubt it'll fit me now.

Also went to a couple of away games, possibly Batley & Leigh. Remember queuing with the Fulham RL team at the motorway services after one of those games & they were huge.

Motspur Park

Wouldn't mind the away kit based on the rugby league shirts. Black with white and red 'V' around the collar. Not going to happen but better than many of our away kits.

deadcowboys

For anyone interested, Broncos have a ticket deal of the next 5 games for £62.50. Obviously single match tickets also available through London Broncos website. Still play in a variation of black shirts with red/white chevron.

Ffc sw4

Quote from: perry geyton on July 30, 2023, 05:19:51 PMI remember going to the first game and sitting in the putney end, my mate I was with got interviewed  by ITV and he told em it was boring, we were laughing and it got on TV

Who else was at that game ? And what year was it I've no idea
It was 1980
Beat Wigan 25-4
Nearly 10,000
Finished 3rd behind York & Wigan

Ffc sw4

Went to every home game whilst at the cottage
Great times ,my first fulham promotion

perry geyton

So who's got a picture of our 1980
Rugby kit then ?

cmg

Very smart in my opinion.

I used to wear mine when refereeing school rugby (union) matches, which irritated a few traditionalists.

SP

Funny to think one person with a biro probably designed this excellent shirt while we now have experts designing the latest creations.

deadcowboys

Quote from: cmg on August 01, 2023, 05:01:38 PM

I used to wear mine when refereeing school rugby (union) matches, which irritated a few traditionalists.

Back in 1980, only Referees wore that amount of black & by footballing standards the players were huge. Big Tony Gourley here was 6' 3" & if memory serves me right was a catering manager. Bet nobody complained about his pies.

ron

Now there's a fellow whose beer I wouldn't want to knock over.....

perry geyton

Brilliant!!
Man Sport
Classic

TheOnionBag

I remember going to a game v Wakefield Trinity I think the winner go £50,000 or something like that, sad I know but I counted the buses that had carried the Wakefield fans down to the cottage I am sure it was over 30 coaches (though several pints of Kestrel lager may have had me seeing double), which was a far cry form the 2 coaches that would have followed Rotherham to the cottage that season.     

deadcowboys

Quote from: TheOnionBag on August 03, 2023, 06:32:54 PMI remember going to a game v Wakefield Trinity I think the winner go £50,000 or something like that, sad I know but I counted the buses that had carried the Wakefield fans down to the cottage I am sure it was over 30 coaches (though several pints of Kestrel lager may have had me seeing double), which was a far cry form the 2 coaches that would have followed Rotherham to the cottage that season.     

Think you may be confusing the Wakefield cup game with the end of 1st season challenge match between Fulham RL & Bradford Northern. The Bradford Chairman was giving it large that Fulham weren't up to it so £50k winner takes all game played & Fulham wiped the floor with them. Dave Allen scoring 4 tries I think. It was a great night.