watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham rugby

Started by perry geyton, July 30, 2023, 05:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry geyton

I remember going to the first game and sitting in the putney end, my mate I was with got interviewed  by ITV and he told em it was boring, we were laughing and it got on TV

Who else was at that game ? And what year was it I've no idea

Penfold

First game was 1980. Played Wigan who'd fallen from grace and were in Division 2.

Motspur Park

Loved going. Reg Bowden was captain if I remember.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Colin Welland became a director of Fulham Rugby Leagu team and we went to see a performance of his play 'Roll on Four O'Clock' at the Lyric, Hammersmith.
To our surprise we were sitting close to him and the whole of the team.
An interesting few years at the Cottage which absolutely wrecked the pitch at the time.

perry geyton

Quote from: Penfold on July 30, 2023, 05:31:38 PMFirst game was 1980. Played Wigan who'd fallen from grace and were in Division 2.
Blimey 1980 huh I would of been 10

Thanks for that

Also I wonder what kind of attendance was at those games

gang

Ian  Maquorcedale was my wife's dream man.The pitch was ruined by the new Riverside stand crushing the drainage system. It was fun in the second division but we couldn't live with the clubs in the first division.

Dodgin

I went to one game, can remember a Welsh player with the Italian name Cambriani. That's about all.

cmg

Quote from: Motspur Park on July 30, 2023, 05:46:04 PMLoved going. Reg Bowden was captain if I remember.

Yes. And a very affable and entertaining bloke he was, too. One of the great features of the Sunday matches at the Cottage was talking and drinking with the players in the bar after the game.
Bowden was determined to make Rugby League a success in London and almost succeeded.
Tony Karalius was hooker that first season and told us hilarious stories of the exploits of his brother Vince, one of the all-time great rugby players.
John Dalgreen was hooker a bit later and became the only Fulham player to get a Great Britain cap (v Australia).
He was once suspended 'sine die' by the RL authorities for laying an opponent out, rather amusingly reduced to a somewhat more reasonable two weeks on appeal.

Penfold

Quote from: perry geyton on July 30, 2023, 05:50:52 PM
Quote from: Penfold on July 30, 2023, 05:31:38 PMFirst game was 1980. Played Wigan who'd fallen from grace and were in Division 2.

Thanks for that

First game was over 9,000. I think the average in the first season was over 6,500 which was better than FFC at the time. However, attendances fell each year and Clay pulled the plug in 1984. I think the official club line was that the Clay's took the losses but was rumoured that the losses were actually added to those of FFC.

perry geyton

Quote from: Penfold on July 30, 2023, 06:19:27 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on July 30, 2023, 05:50:52 PM

Thanks for that

First game was over 9,000. I think the average in the first season was over 6,500 which was better than FFC at the time. However, attendances fell each year and Clay pulled the plug in 1984. I think the official club line was that the Clay's took the losses but was rumoured that the losses were actually added to those of FFC.
9000 that's a lot, I do remember quite a few were there, the football was prob only bringing in 3 to 5 at that point

perry geyton

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on July 30, 2023, 05:46:53 PMColin Welland became a director of Fulham Rugby Leagu team and we went to see a performance of his play 'Roll on Four O'Clock' at the Lyric, Hammersmith.
An interesting few years at the Cottage which absolutely wrecked the pitch at the time.

Hammered the pitch, probably worked to our advantage the way we were playing in them days.

On another subject I'll always remember that funny trainspotter bloke that used to hang out at Stoneleigh  station

Lester Burnham

Quote from: perry geyton on July 30, 2023, 06:26:34 PM
Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on July 30, 2023, 05:46:53 PMColin Welland became a director of Fulham Rugby Leagu team and we went to see a performance of his play 'Roll on Four O'Clock' at the Lyric, Hammersmith.

Hammered the pitch, probably worked to our advantage the way we were playing in them days.

On another subject I'll always remember that funny trainspotter bloke that used to hang out at Stoneleigh  station
[/quote
Wow! I remember that guy!!  I used to live above the liquor store next to the station.

deadcowboys

Highest attendance the first season was 15013 v Wakefield in the Challenge Cup losing 5-9. Beat Leeds in the John Player Trophy 9-3 with a crowd of 12583. But busing the team down just for the home games was never going to work longterm. Now 43 years later, after 5 changes of name & more home grounds than you have probably had hot dinners, they are a struggling part time team sharing AFC's Plough Lane. If you want something to do on a sunny Sunday afternoon, give it a go as costs next to nothing to get in compared to football.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Quote from: Lester Burnham on July 30, 2023, 07:12:20 PM

[/quote
Wow! I remember that guy!!  I used to live above the liquor store next to the station.
I knew someone who worked in that liquor store and then she went to work in the chemists. Her husband said she had gone from drink to drugs!

bill taylors apprentice

Played Sunday morning football, a few pints in the pub afterwards,down to the Cottage for the Rugby league and a few more pints while watching from the Stevenage Rd Stand.

Then home for grub & a kip before going out again to the Pub (Jolly Gardeners,Golden Gloves etc) and a ruby to finish.

Happy days.

Andy S

Ernie clay never had Football at heart only money. He nearly finished FFC when he sold us to Bulstrodes crew and Marler and Cadbra. Thank God they went skint and the banks reposessed the ground. The Club as sold to the Muddyman family and as they say the rest is history. Fulham Park Rangers never saw the light of day. I hope Ernie Clay never got to enjoy his money

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

If my memory serves me well, I think it was Rochdale Hornets
I saw them play the only game I went to ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

ianthailand

I went to a couple of games. The thing i remember most is the power of those guys. The Riverside stand fairly shook when they tackled each other.

perry geyton

[/quote

I remember the record store there, used to go in there., that bloke at the station was hilarious
I remember they were on strike and he was over there trying to run the place,,,..

perry geyton

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on July 30, 2023, 09:45:56 PM

[/quote
I knew someone who worked in that liquor store and then she went to work in the chemists. Her husband said she had gone from drink to drugs!

Should of worked part time at both and done drink and drugs