more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 12/09/23...

Started by WhiteJC, September 12, 2023, 12:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Godo Nominated For PL2 POTM

The Club is pleased to announce that winger Martial Godo has been nominated for the PL2 Player of the Month Award for August.

The 20-year-old made an incredible start to the youth campaign before earning himself a loan move to Wigan Athletic for the 2023/24 season.

Martial won us our opening game of the season, scoring a superb goal in the 96th minute to help our 21s to a 3-2 win at Wolves. He was also on target from the spot earlier in the game, calmly slotting home after winning the penalty himself with his skilful dribbling.

Martial was giving reigning PL2 champions Manchester City all sorts of problems in game two and once again, he scored what proved to be the winning goal for Hayden Mullins' lads. After a scramble in the area, he showed a different side to his game, using his physicality to rise highest and nod the ball in from close-range.

Martial then scored his second brace of the season in our third and final game in August. His first goal was a thing of beauty, skipping past a Crystal Palace man before coolly slotting home from the tightest of angles.

Later in the game, he tucked home from the spot and again, it was his tricky footwork that won us the penalty in the first place.

That's an impressive five goals from three PL2 games for Martial, who is more than deserving of his nomination.

Martial will be competing for the award alongside Yago Alonso (Tottenham Hotspur), Dominic Ballard (Southampton), Jamie Donley (Tottenham Hotspur), Mark O'Mahoney (Brighton and Hove Albion), Sam Paul (Reading), Ronnie Stutter (Chelsea) and Jayden Wareham (Reading)

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/september/11/Godo-Nominated-For-PL2-POTM/

WhiteJC

Luton Town (H) Ticket Update

Tickets for our Premier League fixture against Luton Town have now sold out. Thank you for your fantastic support!

PREMIUM MATCHDAY SEATING
The only way to guarantee your place at Craven Cottage is now with Premium Matchday Seating.

Offering the best views of the pitch with seats located in the Upper Tier of the Riverside Stand, enjoy a host of additional benefits to enhance your matchday experience - including a dedicated area to spend pre-game and half-time, and vouchers for food and drink.
HOW TO BUY

To find out more and book your Premium Matchday experience, please get in touch with our Sales team.
020 8336 7555
[email protected]
TICKET EXCHANGE NOW OPEN

Unable to attend Fulham v Luton Town? Season Ticket Holders can now list their seat for this fixture on the Fulham FC Ticket Exchange

Seats listed are made exclusively available to 2023/24 Season Ticket Holders & Members (Max. 1 ticket per person).

BUY TICKETS ON THE TICKET EXCHANGE

LIST SEATS ON THE TICKET EXCHANGE

Ticket Exchange is the Club's official online resale platform which provides Season Ticket Holders the ability to list their seat for sale for other supporters to purchase at a fixture they are unable to attend in a safe and secure environment. For more information on the Fulham FC Ticket exchange, please click here.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/september/11/luton-town-ticket-update/

WhiteJC

Tickets Available For U21s' Brentford Cup Tie

Fulham Under-21s begin their Premier League Cup campaign on Friday evening, when they take on Brentford B in the West London Derby (7pm ko).

The two sides will battle it out at the Laithwaite Community Stadium, the home of Woking Football Club.

Our youngsters, led by Hayden Mullins, are one of the few teams in the country to have remained unbeaten in all competitions so far this season. This year they have been placed in Group G and will also need to face Burnley and Leicester City home and away.

Tickets for the match can be purchased in advance here.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/september/11/Brentford-B-Tickets/

WhiteJC

Why Fulham's future is brighter without Mitrovic

In his debut piece, Alex Mackenzie says we should be optimistic, despite Mitro's exit.

I have never felt such an emotionally charged connection to a footballer at Fulham Football Club in my 21 years as a season ticket holder than Aleksander Mitrovic. From his very first game to his final one this season, there was rarely a dull moment. He was a goal scorer through and through, a total unit in stature and the ultimate (loveable idiot at times) personality. He defined an era for the club in such a way that no other player during my time has a fan has ever come close to.

Sure, we had great teams, made up of great players like Bobby Zamora in a starting eleven with Danny Murphy and Brede Hangeland, and we had Louis Saha with Barry Hayles and Steed Malbranque. But Mitrovic, he just really stood out to everyone that wasn't a Fulham fan, a proper one-man symbol of the Fulham team.

A big hole
That is why this team now will feel bereft. The whole club was built around him; he was someone we looked to when we needed a goal, and he was someone who lifted everyone around him when he scored one, more so than when any other player scored. Everyone loved singing Mitro's on fire.

But like a lot of great players for Fulham, eventually he left. And that is something that we as Fulham fans must and have learned to come to terms with, but why are we finding it harder than usual?

The main reason is what I alluded to earlier: he was a Fulham representative of the highest order. People looked at our club and thought Mitrovic. He scored more goals in one season than any other player in the second tier, and he proved he could do it in the Premier League too. If it weren't for the ban, then he would have got 15+ goals, which is mightily respectable. But I'll be the first to say it: I'm kind of glad he is gone. The team will feel it now, but the I reckon our long-term future is brighter.

Far from perfect
I know – it's a controversial view and very much not what most readers will be feeling right now. But I have been going to watch Fulham for more than 20 years, and there have been players who I have loved unconditionally. Mitrovic, sadly, never became one of those (I said I had an emotionally charged connection, but I didn't say which emotions). And when he saw red in Manchester in the quarter final of the FA Cup, I was texting my mates straight away to say we might sell in the summer.

Simply put, his conduct on that day wasn't what Fulham traditionally stand for. Quality players have seen red for Fulham, and quality players (Zidane, Rooney etc) do rash things, no doubt about that. But this was unlike anything I'd ever seen. He completely lost control, and I felt in that moment he was always at risk of being sold. Big players can handle big pressure, and Mitrovic let himself and the club down int that moment. No matter how justified the outburst was, you can't behave that way.

When he returned, I was so happy to see him shining again, but a big part of me lost love for him in that moment. I'm sure some big European clubs lost love for him in that moment too. So, when Al-Hilal came along, I knew that the outcome might have been completely inevitable. In fact, it was when we signed Raul Jiminez that I knew Mitro would likely be leaving.

There's an old saying in football coined by Sir Alex Ferguson. I'm sure you are familiar with it: no player is bigger than the club. And despite Mitrovic being almost too focal to live without, that phrase sprung to mind, and I had a reason to mention it. He was bigger than Fulham in many ways, it is after all a club record fee. But he forced his way out by not training properly and he lost the respect of the board and in my view the manager, although Marco will not say that publicly.

But just look at why Marco Silva stayed away from Saudi, and you can tell, Mitrovic and Marco didn't agree on the new investment the Pro League was making in European football. Marco mentioned that he told Mitrovic privately what he thought of the move. It would be easier to say that he didn't want him to go publicly, but clearly there were some elements of the conversation he didn't want to disclose.

A great deal
The board will have wanted him to stay or sell at the right price. But £50m is – and I'm sad to say this – a ridiculously generous fee for a player of Mitrovic's ability. Fernando Torres cost £50m. Erling Haaland cost £51m. Luis Diaz cost £49m. Raheem Sterling cost £47.5m (last season). Gabriel Jesus cost £45m. The list goes on and on. It's quite staggering when you think about it.

Mitrovic is not quite as decorated as any of those players. He's certainly a great goal scorer; he can hold up the ball well and can sometimes dribble the ball well, plus occasionally find a pass. But he isn't Haaland, and we sold Mitrovic for £1m less. He certainly isn't Raheem, and he was more £3 million cheaper. I know that the rise of Saudi influence in the game is a blip, but when you consider the way the player was acting throughout the summer, the reputation he had with referees and his general all-round ability, this is not a deal to turn down.

Raul's short-term potential
The issue though, was not justifying the deal, it was always about finding a replacement and living without him. As soon as Raul Jiminez came in, I knew that he was an instantly more traditionally recognisable Fulham centre-forward. He links up play beautifully, he can score from anywhere, and he plays with integrity. This is a player that I can get behind and fall for because he is technically gifted and will be brilliant for our forward-thinking wingers and central attacking midfielders.

Watching clips of Jota and Jimenez tear teams to pieces at Wolves can be something we look to replicate at Fulham, if Pereira is up to the task. And he can turn the ball in behind to Wilson or Willian within the coming weeks, he will just need time to learn his teammates' traits. He is also another South American to add to the group and the signing of Traore will help him remember when he played some of his best football as he integrates into the team.

A lot of people will say that the head injury has impacted him, and they might be right. But an injury like that will sometimes make you wilier, more street-wise and smarter as a centre-forward. Mitrovic was always going up for everything and making a nuisance of himself, at times to the team's detriment, but mostly to good effect. Raul Jiminez will not throw himself about quite like that, he will be foxier and smarter with his positioning in holding up the ball and getting in behind, he'll be silky smooth and irresistible to the eye, and that is the way this Marco Silva team is going. We needed Mitrovic in the Championship, and he needed to prove himself in the Prem. And Fulham can do it without it, as proven for large parts of last season.

Future opportunities
As the season goes it will become clear that Jimenez is not going to get 15 goals. But, in my view he will press from the front, he will get more assists that Mitro and he'll likely get five or more goals. He may also allow for other strikers to come into the first team more regularly. And Fulham need players who play for the team and move us away from focusing on a talisman. That is what successful Fulham teams do and have always done.

Marco Silva's men will become stronger together now that their main man is gone. Muniz and Vinicius will now feel like they are capable of being the new number nine as well. Yes, letting go is hard, especially when you are letting go of someone who the team was built around for large parts of the last two seasons, but it is for the good of the team. When Manchester United lost Ronaldo to Real Madrid they took time to regroup and won the title again a year later. Kane has just left for Bayern, and Spurs already look more likely than ever to qualify for Champions League next year. It is all part of the process. Sure, you can't replace the impact of those individual players, but in the Oakland A style of recruitment, you recreate them in the aggregate by improving the players you have or adding two to three players that strengthen the depth.

Mitrovic will always be loved at Fulham, and if he had chosen to stay, he would have been a Fulham legend. But it's because of his rogue nature as a player and person that I never allowed myself to completely fall for him, he still had to prove something to me, which is something I just can't articulate. He was emotionally draining at times (penalties), and emotionally uplifting more often than not. But, there was just something about him that I couldn't put my finger on. I guess I may have always known he's the kind of guy who would jump ship at a club on the up and move to a club in Saudi Arabia. He will be sorely missed, but for a club that usually lets go of its talent, we should be in for more success without him, it just might take a while. Sit tight, it will be better in time.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-09-11-why-fulhams-future-is-brighter-without-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

Fulham ace wants to 'leave' with another significant departure on the cards
Fulham managed to keep hold of the midfielder in the last transfer window

Fulham star Joao Palhinha reportedly wants to depart the club in January to join Bayern Munich. The midfielder saw a summer switch to the Bundesliga champions fall through before the deadline of the last transfer window.

According to a report by TEAMtalk, the player has made it 'clear' that he wants to 'leave' Craven Cottage this winter. He is still under contract of the Premier League side until June 2027.

Fulham signed the 28-year-old last year following their promotion from the Championship and he has since become one of their most prized assets in the middle of the park. He has adapted well to life in England over the past 12 months and his current club will face a real battle to keep hold of him now.

The Portugal international, who has made 21 caps for his country to date, made 40 appearances in all competitions last term and chipped in with four goals. He has already played three times for the London club in this campaign but his long-term future is up in the air which isn't ideal for his current employers as they prepare for upcoming fixtures.

Palhinha rose up through the youth ranks at Sporting Lisbon and went on to feature on 95 occasions for their first-team before joining the Whites. He also had loan spells away from the Portuguese giants at Moreirense, Belenenses and Braga during his time at theEstádio José Alvalade.

Losing Aleksandar Mitrovic to Al-Hilal was a big blow for Fulham and Palhinha departing would be another suckerpunch for the Whites as they look to build on the great work that Marco Silva did last season. He is such an influential player for them but if he doesn't want to be there then there is no point trying to force him to stay put.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-ace-wants-to-leave-with-another-significant-departure-on-the-cards-4287539

WhiteJC

Internationals: Raúl Joins 100 Club

Raúl Jiménez marked his 100th cap for Mexico with a goal that helped them come from behind to draw with Australia.

Mexico were 2-0 down in Texas by the time he stepped off the bench on the hour mark, but within nine minutes he'd dispatched a cool penalty to half the deficit.

Debutant Cesar Huerta then netted late on to ensure the friendly ended all square.

Nigeria's final Africa Cup of Nations qualifier ended in style, with Calvin Bassey playing the full 90 minutes of their 6-0 win over Sao Tome & Principe.

Their spot at next year's tournament was already secured, but that did not mean they took their foot off the gas, with a Victor Osimhen hat-trick complemented by goals from Taiwo Awoniyi, Samuel Chukwueze, and former Fulham loanee Ademola Lookman.

In European Championship qualification, Timothy Castagne also got 90 minutes and a clean sheet under his belt as Belgium defeated Azerbaijan in Baku.

A first half Yannick Carrasco strike was the difference between the sides, and keeps Belgium at the top of Group F, above Austria on goal difference.

A 1-0 away win was the same result for João Palhinha's Portugal as they overcame Slovakia, for whom Marek Rodák was an unused substitute.

Palhinha played the entirety of the match, in which Bruno Fernandes grabbed the winner just before half-time to maintain Portugal's 100 per cent record in Group J.

In the CONCACAF Nations League, Bobby De Cordova-Reid led the line for Jamaica in their 1-0 win over Honduras.

The Fulham man played 77 minutes of the contest, which was decided by Demarai Gray's goal midway through the second half.

In friendly action, Harry Wilson played the first hour of Wales' goalless draw with Korea Republic, while Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson helped the United States to a 3-0 triumph over Uzbekistan.

Ream captained the side and featured for the duration, while Robinson was involved for the majority before departing on 80 minutes.

Under-18s winger Tom Olyott enjoyed a magical international debut for Republic of Ireland, grabbing an assist with a beautiful cross as his side drew 1-1 with Bosnia & Herzegovina in a friendly.

George Okkas played a full 90 minutes for Cyprus Under-21s, who also drew 1-1 but with Austria in their first EURO Qualifier group game.

Young Josh King featured in both of England Under-17s' games in the Pinatar Arena SuperCup.

On Friday he played the whole game, as the Young Lions fell just short against Portugal with a 3-2 loss. They faced Morocco next, drawing 1-1 with Josh being introduced from the substitutes bench.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/september/11/internationals-raul-joins-100-club/

WhiteJC

Godo gains PL2 player of the month nomination
Fulham winger Martial Godo has been nominated for the PL2 player of the month award for August.

The 20 year-old scored five goals in three games as Fulham's under 21s made a magnificent start to the season under new head coach Hayden Mullins. Godo scored twice in the opening night win at Wolverhampton Wanderers, including a dramatic 96th minute winner, and then grabbed the winner against defending champions Manchester City. The former Margate winner added another double in the 5-2 win over Crystal Palace with his fantastic form sealing a season-long loan move to Wigan Athletic at the end of the transfer window.

Godo, who signed a contract extension with the Whites last month, is nominated alongside Tottenham pair Yago Alonso and Jamie Donley, the Southampton striker Dominic Ballard (Southampton), Brighton's forward Mark O'Mahoney (Brighton and Hove Albion), Reading duo Sam Paul and Jayden Wareham and Ronnie Stutter of Chelsea,

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/09/godo-gains-pl2-player-of-the-month-nomination/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Marco Silva must prepare to lose his best player in January
Fulham may have been able to hold onto their main man Joao Palhinha this summer but it looks like they will lose him in January according to TeamTalk. It would be a major blow for Fulham and one they could struggle with but would a move be on the cards in January?

Summer dealings
It was no secret that Joao Palhinha wanted to leave Craven Cottage with bids from Premier League clubs such as Arsenal and West Ham United coming in for the Portuguese international. However, none of them came to fruition with Declan Rice being signed for Arsenal and West Ham favouring James Ward-Prowse.

Yet there was major interest from German side Bayern Munich, who already turned to the Premier League by signing Harry Kane, and were close to agreeing a deal with the Fulham defensive midfielder but it fell through.

Bayern to renew interest in Palhinha
Even though the transfer window has slammed shut until January, Bayern are already plotting their move for the 28-year-old old who is one of the best defensive players in Europe currently.

Fulham were willing to let Palhinha leave if they were able to get themselves a replacement. However, Fulham struggled to sign said replacement and therefore denied a dream move for Palhinha.

Will this affect Palhinha?
Palhinha is a professional and will understand that Fulham tried to give him the move but were unable to do so because of not finding a replacement. He has already put in a man-of-the-match performance for his side against Arsenal and now that there is no move on the cards before January he will be fully involved with how Fulham perform in the Premier League this year.

His agent, who is also his brother, made a statement;

"They didn't kill the dream, they just postponed it, very proud of my brother and the player I represent.

"Words of appreciation, recognition, and thanks to the entire Bayern structure. The affection for the club in our family will remain forever even though my brother didn't sign."

https://thetopflight.com/2023/09/11/fulham-marco-silva-lose-january/

WhiteJC

Bryan Ruiz invited to Man United's Carrington by Erik ten Hag and Steve McClaren
Manchester United have invited former Fulham star Bryan Ruiz to Carrington to help him gain experience as a coach.

Ruiz enjoyed four seasons in England with Fulham before calling time on his career last year.

But he's remained in the sport as he's taken up coaching in his native Costa Rica.

On Friday, though, he was in the Netherlands for FC Twente's Wout Brama's farewell match, where he bumped into Man United gaffer Erik ten Hag.

The Dutch boss spent his early managerial days at Twente, taking charge of the club's under-17s team, followed by the under-19s team.

He then worked with Steve McClaren before joining PSV Eindhoven's backroom staff.

Ten Hag and Ruiz never crossed paths at Twente, but McClaren worked with the midfielder during the season he won the Eredivisie title.

Ruiz has since been invited to Man United's training base by Ten Hag and McClaren, having previously worked with the English coach in the Netherlands.

"I keep myself fit," the 38-year-old told De Telegraaf. "I go to the gym, I play tennis and padel. The first six months after I stopped I took completely time off and only spent time with my family.

"Now I have started as a trainer of the Deportivo Alajuelense under-17s to find out whether I am good at being a trainer and also whether I enjoy it enough.

"I have now received an invitation to come and see Steve McClaren and Erik ten Hag at Manchester United. Those are fun things to do."

https://www.sportbible.com/football/transfer-news/arsenal-aston-villa-anwar-el-ghazi-transfer-news-288760-20230904

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham Midfielder Move "Merely Put On Snooze"
A Bundesliga Dream Interrupted

Fulham's midfield maestro, Joao Palhinha, had Bavarian dreams turned topsy-turvy this summer. Although the song of Bayern Munich was sweet in his ears, the call couldn't be heeded, with Fulham unable to usher in a replacement in time.

Reports via TEAMTalk intimate that Palhinha was on the brink of sporting the red and white of the Bundesliga giants. But as is so often the case in football, fate played its unpredictable hand.

Bayern's Persuasion and Palhinha's Passion
Bayern, ever the persistent suitors, have whispered promises of a renewed overture come January. Their quest for a defensive midfield dynamo remains, and Palhinha's allure is undiminished. Agreements, it seems, were already etched on the drawing board in those frantic, final moments of the transfer window's waning hours.

But where does Fulham stand amidst these romantic overtures? They were open, albeit reluctantly, to letting their midfield linchpin depart. They even sanctioned a medical visit to Munich's esteemed facilities, a sign of an almost done deal.

Anticipations for the New Year
While the summer winds have settled, the New Year might yet carry whispers of change. Palhinha's message to Fulham is unambiguous: he envisions a January jaunt to Bayern. The Craven Cottage regulars may have to brace themselves for a potentially poignant parting.

Insiders close to the pulse of the player hint that despite the uncertainty, Palhinha's commitment remains unshaken. He'll lace up for Fulham, putting his best foot forward. Yet, underlining all his performances will be a sincere hope of impressing his Bavarian admirers. After all, to ensure Bayern's beckoning once more, he needs to echo the brilliance he showcased post his arrival from Sporting Lisbon.

Brotherly Bonds and Undying Dreams
Family ties run deep, and when your sibling doubles as your agent, those bonds intertwine with professional pursuits. Goncalo Palhinha, in an emotive statement, suggested the Bayern chapter isn't closed; it's merely paused. "The dream wasn't snuffed out, merely put on snooze," remarked Goncalo, adding, "Our family's warmth for Bayern remains intact, despite the dotted lines remaining unsigned."

The Path Ahead for Palhinha
As things stand, Fulham continues to be Palhinha's present. His contract stretches until 2027, with a tally of 43 appearances for the Whites already under his belt. However, in football, futures are often as unpredictable as a twist in a tale. The upcoming winter might just have a story to tell, with Fulham, Bayern, and Palhinha at its heart.

https://eplindex.com/96272/report-fulham-midfielder-move-merely-put-on-snooze.html

WhiteJC

Chelsea (H) Ticket Update

Tickets for our Premier League fixture against Chelsea have now sold out. Thank you for your fantastic support!
PREMIUM MATCHDAY SEATING

The only way to guarantee your place at Craven Cottage for this west London derby is now with Premium Matchday Seating.

Offering the best views of the pitch with seats located in the Upper Tier of the Riverside Stand, enjoy a host of additional benefits to enhance your matchday experience - including a dedicated area to spend pre-game and half-time, and vouchers for food and drink.
HOW TO BUY

To find out more and book your Premium Matchday experience, please get in touch with our Sales team.
0208 336 7555
[email protected]
TICKET EXCHANGE NOW OPEN

Unable to attend Fulham v Chelsea? Season Ticket Holders can now list their seat for this fixture on the Fulham FC Ticket Exchange

Seats listed are made exclusively available to 2023/24 Season Ticket Holders & Members (Max. 1 ticket per person).

BUY TICKETS ON THE TICKET EXCHANGE

LIST SEATS ON THE TICKET EXCHANGE

Ticket Exchange is the Club's official online resale platform which provides Season Ticket Holders the ability to list their seat for sale for other supporters to purchase at a fixture they are unable to attend in a safe and secure environment. For more information on the Fulham FC Ticket exchange, please click here.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/september/11/chelsea-h-ticket-update/

WhiteJC

Fabrizio Romano: Scott McTominay rejected Fulham
Scott McTominay rejected a deadline day move to Fulham despite Manchester United being open to letting him go, according to Fabrizio Romano.

The transfer guru reveals Fulham were "really keen" on the Scottish midfielder and were pushing for a late deal to secure his services.

The London club were attempting to fill the potential void left by João Palhinha, who came extremely close to joining German champions, Bayern Munich on the same day.

Bayern had themselves been linked with McTominay at one point in the window, although Romano asserts this deal never came close to being made.

Thomas Tuchel, Bayern's manager, was reported to be appreciative of the United mifielder, moreso than the Bayern scouting department, who preferred other targets.

Tuchel was adamant, however, he needed a more natural defensive midfielder in his squad, having previously requested the German club pursue Declan Rice.

Palhinha emerged as their primary target late in the window, with the Portuguese midfielder even flying to Munich to complete a medical on deadline day.

Fulham initiated talks with their Old Trafford counterparts to secure a replacement, having agreed a fee in the region of £55 million for Palhinha.

This prospective cash injection would be central to their pursuit of McTominay with United holding firm over the summer for an expensive fee for their midfielder.

Romano contends a deal reached a"very advanced" stage with promising talks between both clubs, suggesting Fulham were willing to meet United's financial demands.

It was McTominay, however, who rejected the move. Romano reveals the Scottish international "said no" to Fulham and the deal consequently collapsed.

This then had the ripple effect of Palhinha's move to Bayern also failing, as Fulham had been unable to secure a replacement before the close of the window.

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2023/09/11/fabrizio-romano-scott-mctominay-rejected-fulham-269459/

WhiteJC

Tony Gale On Winning The Premier League And Playing With Bobby Moore And George Best

An interview with Tony Gale, by Callum McFadden for WFi.

You started your professional career at Fulham and represented the club over 300 times. What are your memories of your time at Craven Cottage?
"In total, I made 330 appearances for Fulham and I am very proud of that after coming through at the club.

"The main highlight for me was winning promotion to the Second Division — now known as the Championship — then coming so close to winning another promotion to the First Division — now known as the Premier League — with Malcolm MacDonald's team.

"Above all, having the opportunity to play with and learn from the likes of Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh and George Best, who were all at the club at that time, was an honour.

"Working with players and characters of that calibre was a dream upbringing for me in many ways."

What were each of them like as individuals?
"Each of them were unique in their own way.

"I would categorise them by saying that Bobby Moore was footballing royalty, Rodney Marsh was a footballing maverick and George Best was a footballing genius.

"As a defender, I learned so much from Bobby Moore and I took over the number six shirt from him after he retired.

"Watching him train every day taught me so much and when he spoke, you listened intently.

"He was a great man and you did not speak unless you were spoken to given his status of being the only Englishman to lift the World Cup as captain in 1966.

"Having those three at the club attracted massive crowds at our home games and our away games. They were superstars in their own right.

"Overall, being in their presence as a young man was an education on and off the pitch."

You leave Fulham for West Ham United and experience playing in the First Division at the Hammers. What was that experience like for you?
"It was a good experience for me because West Ham is a family club just as Fulham are.

"I would say that West Ham are a bigger club too so it was a great move for me.

"I had the choice to join either Chelsea or West Ham but I wanted to play under John Lyall who was the manager of West Ham so that made my mind up.

"It was a wise decision as I went on to play nearly 400 games for the club over the course of a decade."

John Lyall is considered to be one of the greatest managers in the history of West Han United. What was he like as a manager?
"John was a wonderful coach, his attention to detail was meticulous and he was the best coach/manager that I ever had.

"His training sessions were always varied and forward-thinking. He wanted us to play out from the back and attack the opposition at every opportunity which made training sessions and games under him fun to be involved in.

"John was also a man's man and he knew each player's partner by name and their family by name too. He cared for you on and off the pitch and he was more than a manager.

"He was so impressive that Sir Alex Ferguson actually tried to take John to Manchester United with him after he left West Ham but John decided to stay in management and joined Ipswich instead."

The club finished 3rd in the First Division during your time at the club and you developed a strong partnership in defence alongside Alvin Martin. How much did you enjoy that season and playing alongside Alvin?
"Alvin and I were like-minded in the sense that we both wanted to play out from the back. He was more aggressive than me and I would pick up the pieces around him.

"Our defensive partnership was the first line of attack while being solid defensively as shown by the number of records that we broke that season.

"We had the least goals conceded in the league and recorded the most home and away wins that West Ham have had in a single season.

"It was a joy to play in such a team with us at the back doing our thing and two top-class strikers in Frank McAvennie and Tony Cottee scoring goals for fun up front."

Following a decade at West Ham, you left the club and were training at Barnet before you signed for Blackburn Rovers when Sir Kenny Dalglish was manager. How did that move come around?
"I was training with Barnet to stay fit after I had left West Ham. The club had promised me a two-year contract extension which they reneged on.

"That left me without a club for the first time in my career and I received offers to join clubs in the United States and Japan which I considered until Blackburn Rovers came in for me.

"I signed for the club two weeks before the start of the season and I played in one friendly match which was against Celtic at Hampden Park before making my official debut for the club in the community shield at Wembley against Manchester United.

"It was a whirlwind and a fairytale in many ways.

"They needed an experienced centre back and I was in the right place at the right time to join the club and be a part of the greatest season in their history."

You won the Premier League at the age of 35 with Blackburn Rovers in 1995. Did winning such an honour so late in your career make it even sweeter?
"It did because it was amazing to win the Premier League and also stick one finger up to West Ham who had let me go.

"They probably thought that I was on the way down as a footballer but as it turned out, I was on the way up and achieved success that I had never had before.

"That being said, I have no real hard feelings for West Ham because I love the club and I loved my time there. It was just frustrating for me in the way that it ended.

"However, winning the title at Blackburn was incredible because the whole club had great leadership throughout it from Jack Walker at the top down to Kenny Dalglish, Ray Hartford and us as players.

"We played superb football on our way to the title with Stuart Ripley and Jason Wilcox on either wing feeding Chris Sutton and Alan Shearer up front.

"With players of that quality, we were hard to stop. Facing them in training helped defenders such as myself and Colin Hendry be prepared to face anyone on a Saturday because we faced two of the best strikes in the country to face every day.

"Added to that, we were an incredibly fit team who could play football or go direct depending on the type of game that we were in."

Following your retirement from football, you joined Capital Gold then Sky Sports as a pundit and co-commentator. How does the media work compare to playing?
"Working in football on the media side is the next best thing to playing the game.

"I had the opportunity to manage at a lower level but to be able to work in the media and cover football at the highest level was too good to turn down.

"Added to that, I was offered double the money that I would have earned in management at a lower level to join Capital Gold so it was a no-brainer.

"I worked for Capital Gold for seven years before joining Sky Sports, who I am still working for today.

"I have commentated live on over 2,000 games alongside some great commentators such as Jonathan Pearce – who for me is the greatest radio commentator of all time, Martin Tyler, Bill Leslie, Gary Taphouse, Gary Weaver and many others.

"Working alongside people of that calibre who are at the top of their game in their field makes the job much easier and enjoyable too."

Finally, Tony, you have just released your autobiography 'That's Entertainment'. What can football fans expect from the book?
"You will get a lot of football anecdotes and jokes from my time in the game.

"There are plenty of stories about Moore, Best and Marsh that I think people will enjoy as well as an honest reflection on my career as a footballer and as a pundit.

"I just hope people read it for the enjoyment and the laughter and not in order to get a good night's sleep... (laughs)."

https://worldfootballindex.com/2023/09/tony-gale-on-winning-the-premier-league-and-playing-with-bobby-moore-and-george-best/

WhiteJC

Former Fulham star Bryan Ruiz invited to Manchester United for coaching work experience
Former Fulham and Costa Rica star Bryan Ruiz has been invited to Manchester United to help him start his coaching career.

The 38-year-old retired from playing last year after a great career which saw him play in Europe for the likes of Fulham, Sporting, FC Twente and Gent, while he won 147 caps for his country.

It was at Twente that he met Steve McClaren, with the pair surprisingly winning the Eredivisie title together in 2010.

Now a coach at Manchester United, McClaren and his boss Erik ten Hag have invited Ruiz along to the club to see if he wants to move into coaching, having already taken his first steps with Costa Rican side Alajuelense, where he started and finished his playing career.

'I keep myself fit,' Ruiz told Dutch publication De Telegraaf. 'I go to the gym, I play tennis and padel.

'The first six months after I stopped, I took completely time off and only spent time with my family. Now I have started as a trainer for the U17 of Deportivo Alajuelense.

'To find out whether I am good at being a trainer and also whether I enjoy it enough. I have now received an invitation to come and see Steve McClaren and Erik ten Hag at Manchester United. Those are fun things to do.'

Ruiz played for his country from 2005-2022, scoring in that first year he pulled on an international shirt and in the last as he took his tally for Costa Rica to 29.

He scored some memorable goals during his four-year sting with Fulham, although his commitment and work effort was questioned at times, before he left for Sporting in 2015.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/11/former-fulham-star-bryan-ruiz-invited-to-manchester-united-for-coaching-work-experience-19483620/?ito=newsnow-feed

AJW48361

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 12, 2023, 12:37:10 AMGodo gains PL2 player of the month nomination
Fulham winger Martial Godo has been nominated for the PL2 player of the month award for August.

The 20 year-old scored five goals in three games as Fulham's under 21s made a magnificent start to the season under new head coach Hayden Mullins. Godo scored twice in the opening night win at Wolverhampton Wanderers, including a dramatic 96th minute winner, and then grabbed the winner against defending champions Manchester City. The former Margate winner added another double in the 5-2 win over Crystal Palace with his fantastic form sealing a season-long loan move to Wigan Athletic at the end of the transfer window.

Godo, who signed a contract extension with the Whites last month, is nominated alongside Tottenham pair Yago Alonso and Jamie Donley, the Southampton striker Dominic Ballard (Southampton), Brighton's forward Mark O'Mahoney (Brighton and Hove Albion), Reading duo Sam Paul and Jayden Wareham and Ronnie Stutter of Chelsea,

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/09/godo-gains-pl2-player-of-the-month-nomination/

AJW48361

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 12, 2023, 12:38:33 AMFulham: Marco Silva must prepare to lose his best player in January
Fulham may have been able to hold onto their main man Joao Palhinha this summer but it looks like they will lose him in January according to TeamTalk. It would be a major blow for Fulham and one they could struggle with but would a move be on the cards in January?

Summer dealings
It was no secret that Joao Palhinha wanted to leave Craven Cottage with bids from Premier League clubs such as Arsenal and West Ham United coming in for the Portuguese international. However, none of them came to fruition with Declan Rice being signed for Arsenal and West Ham favouring James Ward-Prowse.

Yet there was major interest from German side Bayern Munich, who already turned to the Premier League by signing Harry Kane, and were close to agreeing a deal with the Fulham defensive midfielder but it fell through.

Bayern to renew interest in Palhinha
Even though the transfer window has slammed shut until January, Bayern are already plotting their move for the 28-year-old old who is one of the best defensive players in Europe currently.

Fulham were willing to let Palhinha leave if they were able to get themselves a replacement. However, Fulham struggled to sign said replacement and therefore denied a dream move for Palhinha.

Will this affect Palhinha?
Palhinha is a professional and will understand that Fulham tried to give him the move but were unable to do so because of not finding a replacement. He has already put in a man-of-the-match performance for his side against Arsenal and now that there is no move on the cards before January he will be fully involved with how Fulham perform in the Premier League this year.

His agent, who is also his brother, made a statement;

"They didn't kill the dream, they just postponed it, very proud of my brother and the player I represent.

"Words of appreciation, recognition, and thanks to the entire Bayern structure. The affection for the club in our family will remain forever even though my brother didn't sign."

https://thetopflight.com/2023/09/11/fulham-marco-silva-lose-january/

AJW48361

Roll on January sooner he leaves the Better,like Mitro there is nothing left for him at FFC kissing the Badge or not.

Bill2

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 12, 2023, 12:33:56 AMWhy Fulham's future is brighter without Mitrovic

In his debut piece, Alex Mackenzie says we should be optimistic, despite Mitro's exit.

I have never felt such an emotionally charged connection to a footballer at Fulham Football Club in my 21 years as a season ticket holder than Aleksander Mitrovic. From his very first game to his final one this season, there was rarely a dull moment. He was a goal scorer through and through, a total unit in stature and the ultimate (loveable idiot at times) personality. He defined an era for the club in such a way that no other player during my time has a fan has ever come close to.

Sure, we had great teams, made up of great players like Bobby Zamora in a starting eleven with Danny Murphy and Brede Hangeland, and we had Louis Saha with Barry Hayles and Steed Malbranque. But Mitrovic, he just really stood out to everyone that wasn't a Fulham fan, a proper one-man symbol of the Fulham team.

A big hole
That is why this team now will feel bereft. The whole club was built around him; he was someone we looked to when we needed a goal, and he was someone who lifted everyone around him when he scored one, more so than when any other player scored. Everyone loved singing Mitro's on fire.

But like a lot of great players for Fulham, eventually he left. And that is something that we as Fulham fans must and have learned to come to terms with, but why are we finding it harder than usual?

The main reason is what I alluded to earlier: he was a Fulham representative of the highest order. People looked at our club and thought Mitrovic. He scored more goals in one season than any other player in the second tier, and he proved he could do it in the Premier League too. If it weren't for the ban, then he would have got 15+ goals, which is mightily respectable. But I'll be the first to say it: I'm kind of glad he is gone. The team will feel it now, but the I reckon our long-term future is brighter.

Far from perfect
I know – it's a controversial view and very much not what most readers will be feeling right now. But I have been going to watch Fulham for more than 20 years, and there have been players who I have loved unconditionally. Mitrovic, sadly, never became one of those (I said I had an emotionally charged connection, but I didn't say which emotions). And when he saw red in Manchester in the quarter final of the FA Cup, I was texting my mates straight away to say we might sell in the summer.

Simply put, his conduct on that day wasn't what Fulham traditionally stand for. Quality players have seen red for Fulham, and quality players (Zidane, Rooney etc) do rash things, no doubt about that. But this was unlike anything I'd ever seen. He completely lost control, and I felt in that moment he was always at risk of being sold. Big players can handle big pressure, and Mitrovic let himself and the club down int that moment. No matter how justified the outburst was, you can't behave that way.

When he returned, I was so happy to see him shining again, but a big part of me lost love for him in that moment. I'm sure some big European clubs lost love for him in that moment too. So, when Al-Hilal came along, I knew that the outcome might have been completely inevitable. In fact, it was when we signed Raul Jiminez that I knew Mitro would likely be leaving.

There's an old saying in football coined by Sir Alex Ferguson. I'm sure you are familiar with it: no player is bigger than the club. And despite Mitrovic being almost too focal to live without, that phrase sprung to mind, and I had a reason to mention it. He was bigger than Fulham in many ways, it is after all a club record fee. But he forced his way out by not training properly and he lost the respect of the board and in my view the manager, although Marco will not say that publicly.

But just look at why Marco Silva stayed away from Saudi, and you can tell, Mitrovic and Marco didn't agree on the new investment the Pro League was making in European football. Marco mentioned that he told Mitrovic privately what he thought of the move. It would be easier to say that he didn't want him to go publicly, but clearly there were some elements of the conversation he didn't want to disclose.

A great deal
The board will have wanted him to stay or sell at the right price. But £50m is – and I'm sad to say this – a ridiculously generous fee for a player of Mitrovic's ability. Fernando Torres cost £50m. Erling Haaland cost £51m. Luis Diaz cost £49m. Raheem Sterling cost £47.5m (last season). Gabriel Jesus cost £45m. The list goes on and on. It's quite staggering when you think about it.

Mitrovic is not quite as decorated as any of those players. He's certainly a great goal scorer; he can hold up the ball well and can sometimes dribble the ball well, plus occasionally find a pass. But he isn't Haaland, and we sold Mitrovic for £1m less. He certainly isn't Raheem, and he was more £3 million cheaper. I know that the rise of Saudi influence in the game is a blip, but when you consider the way the player was acting throughout the summer, the reputation he had with referees and his general all-round ability, this is not a deal to turn down.

Raul's short-term potential
The issue though, was not justifying the deal, it was always about finding a replacement and living without him. As soon as Raul Jiminez came in, I knew that he was an instantly more traditionally recognisable Fulham centre-forward. He links up play beautifully, he can score from anywhere, and he plays with integrity. This is a player that I can get behind and fall for because he is technically gifted and will be brilliant for our forward-thinking wingers and central attacking midfielders.

Watching clips of Jota and Jimenez tear teams to pieces at Wolves can be something we look to replicate at Fulham, if Pereira is up to the task. And he can turn the ball in behind to Wilson or Willian within the coming weeks, he will just need time to learn his teammates' traits. He is also another South American to add to the group and the signing of Traore will help him remember when he played some of his best football as he integrates into the team.

A lot of people will say that the head injury has impacted him, and they might be right. But an injury like that will sometimes make you wilier, more street-wise and smarter as a centre-forward. Mitrovic was always going up for everything and making a nuisance of himself, at times to the team's detriment, but mostly to good effect. Raul Jiminez will not throw himself about quite like that, he will be foxier and smarter with his positioning in holding up the ball and getting in behind, he'll be silky smooth and irresistible to the eye, and that is the way this Marco Silva team is going. We needed Mitrovic in the Championship, and he needed to prove himself in the Prem. And Fulham can do it without it, as proven for large parts of last season.

Future opportunities
As the season goes it will become clear that Jimenez is not going to get 15 goals. But, in my view he will press from the front, he will get more assists that Mitro and he'll likely get five or more goals. He may also allow for other strikers to come into the first team more regularly. And Fulham need players who play for the team and move us away from focusing on a talisman. That is what successful Fulham teams do and have always done.

Marco Silva's men will become stronger together now that their main man is gone. Muniz and Vinicius will now feel like they are capable of being the new number nine as well. Yes, letting go is hard, especially when you are letting go of someone who the team was built around for large parts of the last two seasons, but it is for the good of the team. When Manchester United lost Ronaldo to Real Madrid they took time to regroup and won the title again a year later. Kane has just left for Bayern, and Spurs already look more likely than ever to qualify for Champions League next year. It is all part of the process. Sure, you can't replace the impact of those individual players, but in the Oakland A style of recruitment, you recreate them in the aggregate by improving the players you have or adding two to three players that strengthen the depth.

Mitrovic will always be loved at Fulham, and if he had chosen to stay, he would have been a Fulham legend. But it's because of his rogue nature as a player and person that I never allowed myself to completely fall for him, he still had to prove something to me, which is something I just can't articulate. He was emotionally draining at times (penalties), and emotionally uplifting more often than not. But, there was just something about him that I couldn't put my finger on. I guess I may have always known he's the kind of guy who would jump ship at a club on the up and move to a club in Saudi Arabia. He will be sorely missed, but for a club that usually lets go of its talent, we should be in for more success without him, it just might take a while. Sit tight, it will be better in time.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2023-09-11-why-fulhams-future-is-brighter-without-mitrovic/
"Raul Jiminez can score from anywhere". Well he hasn't for some time apart from the penalty spot. May have to revisit that statement unless he scores soon.