more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

post match thread - Sheff Utd (H)

Started by WhiteJC, October 07, 2023, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

what were your thoughts on the game?

should Raul have come on rather than Muniz?

that was Tom's goal wasn't it, not an own goal by Foderingham

why are we giving away so many own goals?

Black and White Town

Great to be back to winning ways.
Awful injury to Basham, feel really bad for him. Looked career ending.

SP

They'll be lucky to break Derby's record low points but I'm relieved Oli McBurnie didn't score.

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Willian looked like his 22-23 self and was my MOTM.

The first-time ref put in the best officiating performance in any league game I've watched this year.

Great linkup play by Vini on the first goal, but my main issue with our strikers is that they don't seem to attack space, either by driving to the post or drifting into pockets for cutbacks.

Good win.

RaySmith

A difficult game against a team looking for a draw: we certainly looked up for it, but maybe a bit too anxious with all the good chances we missed, but a good, important win.

A very good team performance.

Somerset Fulham

A good win against a very stubborn if extremely limited side.  Willian is finally starting to look fit again, we need Andreas to do the same.

We are currently level with Chelsea and a point behind United with 11 points from 8 games.  That should settle some people's nerves for a week or two.

SP

And four points above the Bees.

Dragon

I'm not entirely sure it was as good a performance as everyone is making out. Hopefully I am being too pessimistic, but I honestly thought Sheff Utd were the worst team I have seen at the cottage in a long long time. Far worse than Luton. I felt our quality was below par and even our intensity. A better team would have given us a far harder game. Did feel that there were some nerves out there which is understandable. As I say, hopefully too pessimistic and hope they can take this result into the next game.

AnOldBrownie

Brentford lost.

Fulham won.

Should have been a clean sheet.

3 goals scored.

Good game.   

Considering Fulham plays with a 3rd string striker...I'd say they did pretty well.   

Carborundum

First and foremost my thoughts go to Chris Basham, that was ghastly.  Well done to the medics.

Sheffield were so spectacularly bad that I'm not sure much was learned. Some of our players are playing themselves back into form.  Palhinha completely dominant.

Iwobi is turning into a revelation.  I thought we were getting a peripheral drifter in and out of games.  He's anything but and his close control is brilliant.

Woolly Mammoth

An important 3 points, and a nice feeling to reach double figures.

Every game is different and has its own series of unexpected events.

We showed today that there is more than one way to win a game, and we cannot be too fussed how we win it.

Marcus should sleep better tonight knowing that the International Break is next up, whilst he can gather his thoughts and buys time for others to get back into shape and full fitness.
We don't normally get round lately to hitting the net three times in a single match, so i shall savour the moment.

Nevertheless we still have problems to solve and to learn from, but a welcome three points nonetheless, and at the end of the day, that is what really counts.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: Dragon on October 07, 2023, 07:06:09 PMI'm not entirely sure it was as good a performance as everyone is making out. Hopefully I am being too pessimistic, but I honestly thought Sheff Utd were the worst team I have seen at the cottage in a long long time. Far worse than Luton. I felt our quality was below par and even our intensity. A better team would have given us a far harder game. Did feel that there were some nerves out there which is understandable. As I say, hopefully too pessimistic and hope they can take this result into the next game.
But we didn't play a "better", team, and there is no way of knowing what sort of game another team would have given us.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

McBrideOfFrankenstein

Thames Bank 1

We got the win, well done Bobby, Tom and Willian, totally outplayed them, shame the same effort from start wasn't put in against chelscum.we are in better position in points at same stage last season.

SerbianLad

Our best performance this season so far, in my opinion, although Sheffield were quite poor as well. We looked defensively very solid, with Diop being particularly good imo, so a shame to see him go off injured. Ream had some excellent defensive moves, but I was even more impressed witrh his passing, that was seemingly back to his best level. Castagne and Robinson were good both ways, Castagne in particular, but they both need to work on their crossing. Midfield was pretty good, although against stronger teams I'd prefer to see Iwobi as a 10 or as a winger, I don't think we could have played as offensively against better teams. Vini offered a bit more than Raul imo, but him putting his hands on opponent's throat was a bit daft. BDR, as I said in the match thread, is our best finisher. Excellent movement and a very cool finish. Good work from Vini and Andreas in the buildup as well. Subs looked good, and I have to say there's something really likeable about Muniz. He might not be the best footballer, but he's the hardest worker of the three of our strikers and is more direct than Vini and Raul as well. He just makes me smile every time I see him play, for whatever reason. Lots of positives to take, but I feel like the international break comes at the right time. Hopefully, Tete, Adama and at least one of Diop/Tosin will be back.

P.S. What a horrible injury from Basham. Wish him the speediest possible recovery.

Quote from: McBrideOfFrankenstein on October 07, 2023, 07:18:18 PMHow's Diop? Any news?
Doesn't sound too good I'm afraid.

Thames Bank 1

Good win against a difficult team, onwards and upwards COYW

Thames Bank 1

Iwobi, Andreas, Palhinha (who knows where his head his) but 2 forementioned are still in some ways coming back from injuries.

SP

Hoping Willian is now back on song, I don't think the rock hard pitches in Florida did him any favours.

Thames Bank 1

Sheff UTD are whipping boys, but thank goodness it was not us today. The laws of average they will turn someone over.

Eton White

Good performance against a very poor side and a very important 3 points.

I thought it was harsh that Cairney's goal was marked up as an own goal. It was in, regardless of the keeper's touch, so should have been given to him.