more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 16/10/23...

Started by WhiteJC, October 16, 2023, 09:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Manzi hits hat-trick as Fulham hammer Enfield
Sophie Manzi scored a first-half hat-trick as Fulham FC Women returned to winning ways with an emphatic 8-0 victory over Enfield Town at Motspur Park this afternoon. Goals from Becky Stormer, Georgia Heasman, Madi Parsonson and Oliva Dale completed the rout for Steve Jaye's side.

The Whites began brightly and could have been in front in the third minute. Sasha Adamson snuck into the penalty area and stabbed a loose ball past the goalkeeper, but her effort was brilliant scrambled off the line by an Enfield defender. Adamson did break the deadlock in the twelfth minute after a flowing passing move. Recalled club captain Mary Southgate began the attack, finding Lilly Lambird and the midfielder produced a peach of a pass to put Adamson in the clear before she lifted a clinical finish into the top corner.

Fulham went further in front thanks to a peach of an effort from Becky Stormer as the midfielder a 25-yarder into the top corner. Steve Jaye's side took complete command of the contest when Manzi was cynically chopped down in the penalty area and the striker sent the Enfield goalkeeper the wrong way with the ensuing spot-kick. Stormer almost added a second of her own but she couldn't quite wrap her foot around a clever ball from Madi Parsonson.

But the hosts added a third just two minutes later when Georgia Heasman nipped in to finish off from close range after the Enfield defence had crowded out Adamson in the box. It took just another two minutes for Manzi to poach her second of the afternoon – deftly diverting a pinpoint cross from Parsonson. The former Dulwich striker then completed a hat-trick with a venomous drive into the top corner from outside the box four minutes before half time.

Parsonson put her name on the scoresheet five minutes after the interval when she bent a finish around a surprised Enfield goalkeeper having cleverly worked a short corner with Lambird. Fulham's substitutes then spurned chances to extend the lead as the lively Edie Buchele paid the penalty for a heavy touch having burst clear down the left wing. Another substitute Ava Huntrods headed over a corner from Parsonson before good play from Adamson created an opportunity for Lambird only for the midfielder's shot to be well saved.

Defender Olivia Dale scored her first goal for Fulham with thirteen minutes remaining after bursting onto a brilliant ball by Adamson and firing into the far corner. The Whites' intensity did drop in the closing stages as Enfield wilted in the autumnal sun, but Alex Hayman still created a good chance for Heasman with the winger stinging the palms of the visiting goalkeeper.

FULHAM FC WOMEN (3-4-3): Parker; Dale, Tagliavini, Southgate; Parsonson, Mendes, Stormer, Lambird; Heasman, Adamson, Manzi. Subs: Stratton, Bird, Huntrods, Hayman, Buchele.

GOAL: Adamson (12), Stormer (17), Manzi (pen 24, 34, 41), Heasman (32), Parsonson (50), Dale (77).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/10/manzi-hits-hat-trick-as-fulham-hammer-enfield/

WhiteJC

FulView for October 2023
While waiting for Fulham to return after the international break, let's do a look at where things stand. But first, a big thank you to October's (and November's) site sponsor - @sacffc ! Thanks for keeping the servers running for FulhamUSA!

After 8 matches Fulham has the same record as last season - 3 wins, 2 draws, and 3 losses. Yet somehow, things don't seem as good at this point as last season. I think some of it has to do with expectations. After the prior three Premier League seasons ended in relegation, no one expected much from Fulham last season. But a confident opening day draw against Liverpool made a statement that was followed by big wins against Brentford and Brighton along with some tight losses to Arsenal and Tottenham. At this point last season it was clear things would be different.

While the records are the same, the results have not been as convincing this season. A fortunate win against Everton, beatings at the hands of Manchester City and Brentford, and an overall lack of scoring have provided the same points total but with a lot less sparkle. Fulham has been on the losing end of multiple officiating mistakes that have made some results worse than they should have been, but the root issue is that Fulham can't find a way to get goals. It is clear at this point that the striker options currently available cannot come close to replacing the goals provided by Mitrovic. Silva's only option is to find another way to score. My hope is that we started to see that change against Sheffield when Iwobi was brought in and Palhinha was set further back.

Fulham will close out October with two tough road matches against Tottenham and Brighton. If Silva is trying out a new look for Fulham those matches will provide a better test than Sheffield. The next two games could determine if things are on the right track or if other options need to be explored.

One positive I think we should recognize for Fulham is that many of the summer signings have done very well so far. Iwobi, Castagne, and Bassey have all looked good. The summer window generally felt traumatic, so it might be easy to miss that those have worked out. If only Fulham could have landed a better striker the season would likely fee a lot different.

https://fulhamusa.com/threads/fulview-for-october-2023.10483/

WhiteJC

Jaime Lozano reveals why Raul Jimenez started over Santiago Gimenez in Ghana win

Lozano reveals why Raul Jimenez started over in-form Santiago Gimenez in 2-0 victory over Ghana
    Mexico earned the win with goals from Chucky Lozano and Uriel Antuna
    Head coach teases changes before Germany game on Tuesday night

Mexican national team head coach Jaime Lozano has explained his decision to play Raul Jimenez over Santiago Gimenez as the starting striker against Ghana.

Gimenez entered the October international window as the Eredivisie's top goalscorer with 12 in eight games for Feyenoord, while Jimenez has failed to score for Fulham so far this season. But on a national team level, the Premier League striker leads in contributions after scoring three goals during the September window.

After the 2-0 win at Bank of America Stadium, Lozano revealed he based the decision to start Jimenez on his performances in recent games.

"I brought three great forwards and I based my decision on the rival, on Raúl's time, what he did in the last games. Not that Santi didn't contribute but there is a nice competition now. The intention is to prepare, do our best and get a good result, we also want to keep growing. We don't want to give one good game and another average," he admitted.

"We want to take solid steps forward, to build a great team of players who can express their best qualities."

Gimenez earned the start against Australia during the September window, but failed to capitalize on any opportunity at goal. It wasn't until the Fulham striker entered the game in the second half to score a penalty that Mexico began the 2-2 comeback.

Jimenez then picked up the start against Uzbekistan three days later, scoring twice in open play to extend his lead over the Eredivisie player.

Still, Lozano admits he still holds doubts over the starting lineup, remaining open to any player that impresses before teasing changes against Germany.

"I always have doubts, it takes me until the last day to decide, not all but a couple of players and positions. I like that they have the opportunity like Arteaga who does it at a high level, Jorge Sánchez too, not to mention Johan and César, everyone. They played a great game against Ghana," he added.

"I'm sure there will be changes for the next game, but one tries to move the pieces according to the rivals and encourage healthy competition between players."

Mexico hosts Germany on Tuesday night at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.

https://www.90min.com/posts/jaime-lozano-why-raul-jimenez-started-santiago-gimenez-ghana-win

WhiteJC

Wales 2-1 Croatia: Harry Wilson scores twice on his 50th appearance to boost hosts' Euro 2024 qualification hopes and ease pressure on boss Rob Page despite Mario Pasalic's late strike

Harry Wilson scored two excellent second-half goals to secure vital victory
    Sub Mario Pasalic gave Croatia a lifeline with a late header but Wales held on

Rob Page appeared to fight back tears after silencing the doubts of his chief executive Noel Mooney by putting Wales on course for a third major tournament in succession.

Welsh FA supremo Mooney put his manager on notice last week, saying Page's position would be under review if they failed to qualify automatically for Euro 2024.

Yet with the words of his boss ringing in his ears, Page masterminded Wales' best performance for more than two years, revealing he had received a good luck message from Mooney during the day.

Two goals from Harry Wilson on his 50th international appearance were enough to overcome Croatia and put Wales in second place in Group D behind Turkey. Mario Pasalic scored in the 75th minute to ensure late nerves but Page and his players deserved this - and two more wins will put them in Germany next summer.

'Actions speak louder than words,' said Page pointedly. 'I am sick and tired of having to keep talking about my future. I get emotional because I'm so proud of them.

Harry Wilson scored two excellent second-half goals on a dream 50th appearance for Wales

Wilson's first goal was a beautifully-lofted finish after a through ball from David Brooks

'It was unnecessary noise coming in, like we are having to fight fires. I didn't need any player to come out and speak. I see every day the respect the players have for me and that they want to play for me. They are an incredible bunch.

'I had a text from him (Mooney) today wishing us good luck but before that I hadn't heard from him for about five weeks. I replied thanking him, of course.

'We are two wins from qualifying for a fourth major tournament. We are in a transitional phase and have lost one of the world's best players after Gareth Bale retired - but we believe.

'I'm not going to please everyone but I told the players I was immensely proud to be their manager. We showed the players a montage from what we'd done on this camp and it made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.'

Wilson then followed his captain Ben Davies by letting Mooney know exactly how the squad feel about his recent remarks. 'We know there's been a lot of noise from the outside and some comments that weren't helpful for us from people we didn't really expect the comments to come from.'

Page has rightly taken flak for some poor displays in the last two years but this showing answered those doubts emphatically.

Yes, Croatia were without key men like Ivan Perisic and Andrej Kramaric but Wales were not at full strength either, with Brennan Johnson and Aaron Ramsey missing.

Mooney's words seemed to galvanise Wales. David Brooks' diagonal pass found its way to Neco Williams on the left, and Wilson ran on to the pass only to see his shot blocked by Domagoj Vida.

Then Vida was booked for bringing down Wilson and the Fulham attacker's free-kick was clawed behind.

Wilson doubled Wales' advantage with a glancing header from a Daniel James cross

Substitute Mario Pasalic gave Croatia a lifeline with a header in the 75th minute

Though Croatia had most of the ball, Wales were the more dangerous side. Neco Williams cut inside and fired in an angled drive that brought another save from Dominik Livakovic.

Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic made a triple substitution at half-time but Wales took the lead almost instantly. Brooks played a brilliant volleyed pass and Wilson did the rest, outpacing Vida and steering beyond Livakovic.

It seemed a huge blow when injury forced Brooks off only for his replacement Dan James to have a major hand in the second goal. The Leeds man floated the ball into the centre where Wilson glanced in number two, as Page was mobbed by his coaching staff.

Croatia finally realised the urgency of their position and after sub Dion Beljo almost capitalised on some woeful goalkeeping by Danny Ward, Kieffer Moore accidentally flicked on Luka Modric's corner and Pasalic - another sub - headed home. That made Wales jumpy and Beljo missed a glorious chance to equalise soon afterwards.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12633615/Wales-2-1-Croatia-Harry-Wilson-scores-twice-50th-appearance-boost-hosts-Euro-2024-qualification-hopes-ease-pressure-boss-Rob-Page-despite-Mario-Pasalics-late-strike.html

WhiteJC

Wales shock Croatia to reawaken Euro 2024 hopes
Cardiff (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Wales breathed new life into their chances of qualifying for Euro 2024 as Harry Wilson's double earned a famous 2-1 win over Croatia in Cardiff on Sunday.

Rob Page's men move above the World Cup semi-finalists into second place in Group D of qualifying with Croatia now at risk of missing a major tournament for the first time since the 2010 World Cup.

Page's position was in doubt after a disastrous start to Wales' qualifying campaign.

A 4-2 home defeat to Armenia and 2-0 loss at group leaders Turkey in June looked to have all but ended their hopes of reaching a third consecutive European Championship.

"Actions speak louder than words," said Page as he hit back at his critics.

"I'm sick and tired of having to keep coming on and talk about my future. Let's just talk about the lads and the performances they have put in.

"I get emotional because I'm so proud of them and they deserve all the plaudits they are going to get. We can't wait to meet up for the next game."

Turkey's 4-0 win over Latvia sealed their qualification leaving Wales and Croatia to fight it out for the second automatic place in Germany next year.

The sides are tied on 10 points, but Wales enjoy the better head-to-head record after a 1-1 draw in Split earlier in the group.

However, Croatia appear to have the easier fixtures next month as they visit Latvia and welcome Armenia to Zagreb.

Wales travel to Armenia and host Turkey in their final two matches.

New Wales hero
On top of losing Gareth Bale to international retirement, Wales were without two of their major threats in Aaron Ramsey and Brennan Johnson through injury.

But Fulham winger Wilson became his nation's new hero with two brilliant finishes early in the second half.

Victory was no less than Wales deserved as Croatia's big names failed to live up to their billing.

The home side were unfortunate not to be in front by half-time as Dominik Livakovic made fine saves to turn behind a Wilson free-kick and Neco Williams' curling effort from the edge of the area.

Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic showed his displeasure by making three substitutions at the break, but even that did not shake his side from their slumber.

David Brooks continued his fairytale return from a cancer diagnosis to representing his country at the top level with the assist for Wilson's opener.

The Bournemouth attacker's lofted ball over the Croatia defence saw Wilson outpace Domagoj Vida and lob the ball over the advancing Livakovic.

The diminutive Wilson then used his head to good effect with a cushioned header from Dan James' cross.

James' curling effort was inches away from a Welsh third before they were forced to see out a nervy finale.

Mario Pasalic turned home a corner at the back post 15 minutes from time.

But the likes of Luka Modric and Mateo Kovacic could not break down the Welsh defence once more, leaving the battle for second place on a knife-edge.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20231015-wales-shock-croatia-to-reawaken-euro-2024-hopes

WhiteJC

Wales hero called 'the new Gareth Bale' after clutch brace in vital qualifier vs Croatia
Wales fans think they've found their new Gareth Bale after a clutch brace that handed them a vital 2-1 win over Croatia in Euro 2024 qualifying

Harry Wilson embraced his inner Gareth Bale in helping Wales to a vital 2-1 win over Croatia in Cardiff on Sunday (October 15).

The 26-year-old Fulham forward was on hand to beat his man for pace in the opening stages of the second-half on his 50th cap, lobbing goalkeeper Dominik Livakovic with his favoured left-foot after perfect control with his head - to remind fans of their greatest ever player.

Just 14 minutes later, Wilson was at the double with a pinpoint flicked header to again show glimpses of former Tottenham and Real Madrid man Bale, who scored 41 goals for his country, including several headers, before retiring after the World Cup in Qatar.

One fan said after Wales held out to win despite Mario Pasalic's goal: "Harry Wilson next Bale. Believeeee." A second added: "Harry Wilson with a Bale-esque performance."

A third said: "Waiting for Rob Page to unmask Harry Wilson after the game to reveal its actually Gareth Bale."

A fourth agreed: "GARETH BALE IS HARRY WILSON REBORN." A fifth then concluded: "Harry Wilson that is vintage Gareth Bale. Lovely finish mun!"

Wilson now has eight goals for his country across 50 games, putting them second in Group D having leapfrogged Croatia on head-to-head.

Turkey top the group with 16 points, with Wales sitting on 10, three ahead of Armenia in fourth place with two automatic spots available.

Wales reached the round of 16 at Euro 2020 last time out, having made the semi-finals back in 2016. The boost to their chances comes after they broke their World Cup absence of 64 years to reach the tournament in Qatar.

Speaking after the game, Wilson said: "It was a big night for me personally, representing my country 50 times is something I couldn't have dreamt of.

"Tonight wasn't about me, it was about the team. We're always confident in the quality we've got in the group.

"We're 100% behind the manager."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/wales-harry-wilson-gareth-bale-31196602

WhiteJC

Wilson bags brace on his 50th Welsh cap
Fulham winger Harry Wilson scored both goals as Wales stunned Croatia to keep their European Championship qualifying hopes alive in Cardiff tonight. Wilson's brace dramatically eased the pressure on Rob Page and proved the perfect way to mark his 50th cap.

The Corwen-born wide man, who saw his first half free-kick brilliantly saved by Dominik Livakovic, gave Wales the lead by lifting a beautiful ball from David Brookes over the Croatian goalkeeper before deftly diverting a fine cross from former Fulham winger Dan James to send the home fans into ecstasy. Substitute Marco Pantelic's header set up a nervy finale but the hosts held on to register a first win over the Croatians in their last eight attempts and move into second place in Group D.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2023/10/wilson-bags-brace-on-his-50th-welsh-cap/

WhiteJC

Bentancur, Johnson, Sessegnon - Tottenham injury latest and return dates ahead of Fulham clash

Spurs have a number of injury concerns heading into their game with Fulham next Monday night and Ange Postecoglou will be hoping no player return from international duty with problems

The international break is always a cause for concern for Premier League managers. All will be hoping to see their top players return to the training ground fit and healthy with now new injury worries.

For Spurs, they have something of an advantage over their rivals at the top of the table, with their next Premier League fixture on Monday night against Fulham. It will be the last match of the gameweek, with the likes of Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool to play over the weekend.

But Ange Postecoglou has a number of injuries already at the club. Here football.london takes a look at the players on the treatment table and their expected return dates.

Brennan Johnson

The Welsh striker was left out of the Wales squad by manager Rob Page in order to not jeopardise his health, after he suffered a thigh injury against Arsenal in the North London Derby.

He's the likeliest of those out injured for Postecoglou to come back into the matchday squad after the international break but nothing is yet confirmed.

What has been said: "The communication between us and Tottenham has been first-class. It's about having mutual respect.

"Both managers want a talented player fit so it's about working together. I'm not going to insist that he has to come away and we're going to play him, jeopardise his safety and health.

"I wouldn't do that. But they also understand the importance of our games. We've had great conversations with them, but ultimately his injury will dictate whether he can meet up or not."

Possible return date: Fulham (H) - Monday, October 23

Rodrigo Bentancur

The Uruguayan midfielder was a big loss towards the end of last season following his bad knee injury. Since then, he's been spotted in training, doing one-to-one drills and gym exercises but is still expected to be sidelined until mid-November at the earliest.

What has been said: "Ryan [Sessegnon] and Rodrigo are still well off [in terms of a return to action]."

Possible return date: Aston Villa (H) - Sunday, November 26

Ryan Sessegnon

Another star who is yet to feature under Postecoglou, Sessegnon has been recovering from a thigh injury and is likely to come back around the same time as Bentancur.

What has been said: "Ryan (Sessegnon) and Rodrigo are still well off [in terms of a return to action]."

Possible return date: Aston Villa (H) - Sunday, November 26

Manor Solomon

The Israeli winger was forced to have surgery on his knee after a recent injury in training has left him sidelined for the next few months at least.

It'll come as a blow to Postecoglou's side, which has seen Solomon fit in perfectly on both wings, with him grabbing two assists in the 5-2 win over Burnley.

What has been said: "Solomon has suffered a meniscus injury to his right knee in training [and] he underwent surgery the same day."

Possible return date: Manchester United (A) - Saturday, January 13

Ivan Perisic

The veteran full-back suffered a bad ACL injury last month and will do well to return before the end of the season. It's entirely possible that even if he does retain full fitness before May, he sits out until next season.

What has been said: "We can confirm that Ivan has suffered a complex Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury in his right knee. The experienced Croatia international sustained the injury in non-contact training and will undergo surgery."

Possible return date: June, 2024

Alfie Whiteman

The youngster suffered a long-term injury back in August and is unlikely to return for the club this season.

What has been said: "Alfie has undergone surgery following an injury sustained to his ankle whilst on pre-season tour. He will now begin his rehab with our medical team, and a date for his to return to training will be determined in due course."

Possible return date: 2024

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/tottenham-injury-latest-bentancur-johnson-27915242

WhiteJC

UK media drools over Harry Wilson after Wales win v Croatia
Fulham star Harry Wilson scored twice as Wales produced one of their best performances in a while to beat Croatia on Sunday (15 October) to reignite their hopes of qualifying automatically for Euro 2024.

In an electrifying atmosphere at the Cardiff Stadium, Wilson scored two excellent second-half goals on a dream 50th appearance for his country as the World Cup semi-finalists were thoroughly outplayed.

UK media are showering heaps of praise on the Fulham attacker, with Daily Mail (print edition, 16 October, page 69) hailing him as "wonderful" while South Wales Echo described his performance as "sensational" (print edition, 16 October, page 43).

The Daily Mail has given him an 8/10 rating for his dazzling display.

Mario Pasalic headed in for Croatia with 15 minutes left resulting in a nervy ending but Wales did really well to see off the challenge.

Wilson – star of the show
The 26-year-old is a product of Liverpool's youth academy but he failed to represent the senior club for a long time, making only two appearances. He initially joined Fulham on loan in 2021 when they were in the Championship and the move was later made permanent.

He has managed eight appearances for the Cottagers so far, including six starts in the Premier League, but he has yet to score or provide an assist. The performance for his country will give him confidence and he should be aiming to translate that at club levels as well.

His first goal was a beautifully lofted finish following a cracking through ball from David Brooks, while his second goal came through a glancing header from a Daniel James cross.

Wales now need to beat Armenia and Turkey in their final two qualifiers in November to secure a passage to next summer's tournament in Germany.

https://sports-view.co.uk/2023/10/uk-media-drools-over-harry-wilson-after-wales-win-v-croatia

filham

Make no mistake, although we have the same number of points as at this stage last season the big difference for all to see is that we have great difficulty in scoring goals. The reason of course is that we have failed to replace Mitro and unless Silva can solve this problem we could find ourselves in a serious relegation dog fight.

KentFulham

Quote from: filham on October 16, 2023, 12:18:41 PMMake no mistake, although we have the same number of points as at this stage last season the big difference for all to see is that we have great difficulty in scoring goals. The reason of course is that we have failed to replace Mitro and unless Silva can solve this problem we could find ourselves in a serious relegation dog fight.

Agree - Yet half the board here seem to be up for seeing if Rual, Muniz or Vini can register a goal by 2030.