watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sasa Lukic

Started by JimOG, October 18, 2023, 08:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimOG

I watched the highlights of the Serbia v Montenegro match on Virgin Media last night. Whilst Mitro scored two goals - the first absolutely brilliant - the commentator was raving about Lukic running the game, "best player on the park" etc. Might be time to make him a starter?

hovewhite

Only Serb I'm interested in is lukic who has improved this season.

filham

It would be good to see Lukic show form in a Fulham shirt especially if he could chip in with a few much needed goals.

Bassey the warrior

I'd be interested to see more of him, maybe get him in and push Iwobi further forward to a number 10 position.

Jim©

I think he played on the right of a front 3 last night, somewhere we've not seen him.
Can any serbian followers clarify?

SerbianLad

Quote from: Jim© on October 18, 2023, 01:19:47 PMI think he played on the right of a front 3 last night, somewhere we've not seen him.

We played in a 3-5-1-1 formation(can't really say it was 3-5-2 as Tadic was way back from Mitro). Lukic and Ilic played in number 8 roles, with a traditional DM in Gudelj playing behind them. Lukic and Ilic pretty much took turns attacking Montenegro, i.e. if one went forward the other one stayed back. In the second half, Milinkovic-Savic came on instead of Ilic, and Lukic was moved a bit further back and played almost in double pivot role with Gudelj, with Milinkovic-Savic and Tadic in front of them.

He played really well in both roles and even got an assist in the first half for our first goal (although as the OP pointed out it was a world class goal from Mitro and Mitro should probably get 90% credit for it). He also played a big part in the build up for our second goal. He was extremely secure in possesion, I can't even remember him losing the ball and he drew some fouls as well. Controled the tempo of the game with some nice forward thinking passes. I'm also pretty sure he covered most ground, if not he was definitely up there, and tiredness is why he was probably subbed around 15 minutes before the end of the match.

JimOG

Quote from: SerbianLad on October 18, 2023, 02:32:13 PM
Quote from: Jim© on October 18, 2023, 01:19:47 PMI think he played on the right of a front 3 last night, somewhere we've not seen him.

We played in a 3-5-1-1 formation(can't really say it was 3-5-2 as Tadic was way back from Mitro). Lukic and Ilic played in number 8 roles, with a traditional DM in Gudelj playing behind them. Lukic and Ilic pretty much took turns attacking Montenegro, i.e. if one went forward the other one stayed back. In the second half, Milinkovic-Savic came on instead of Ilic, and Lukic was moved a bit further back and played almost in double pivot role with Gudelj, with Milinkovic-Savic and Tadic in front of them.

He played really well in both roles and even got an assist in the first half for our first goal (although as the OP pointed out it was a world class goal from Mitro and Mitro should probably get 90% credit for it). He also played a big part in the build up for our second goal. He was extremely secure in possesion, I can't even remember him losing the ball and he drew some fouls as well. Controled the tempo of the game with some nice forward thinking passes. I'm also pretty sure he covered most ground, if not he was definitely up there, and tiredness is why he was probably subbed around 15 minutes before the end of the match.

I'm not sure what formation we would create but I think Lukic and Iwobi would elevate the team. Lukic at 8 - Iwobi 10?

SerbianLad

Quote from: JimOG on October 18, 2023, 02:46:51 PMI'm not sure what formation we would create but I think Lukic and Iwobi would elevate the team. Lukic at 8 - Iwobi 10?

Yes. I said it many times, in our formation, Lukic is best suited for the 8 role. I'd choose one of Lukic/Reed, depending on the opposition/form, and would do the same with 10 role with Andreas/Iwobi. Iwobi could also play on the wing, and I actually really like what he offers there as well,although we have a lot options there as well,but I guess it's a nice problem to have, if only we had that many good options in the striker/centreback roles.

P.S. I actually think Lukic outplayed Reed in most, if not all games in which both of them played(he even won MOTM on this forum for one game, I think it may have been Brentford?). Reed had some excellent games as well, but most of them were when Lukic was out with an injury. But again, they are very different players, and I would pick one of them which is in better form and/or suits our oppostion more.

Jim©

Thanks Serbian lad- I think it was BBC that had him down on the RH side of the attacking 3.
I agree with your point about him as an 8. I feel we have to find a way to get Iwobi in the side- 10 probably not his best position (though I've always liked Wilson there) so RW for Iwobi and number 8 for Lukic would be my preference.

General

In fairness before he seemingly got injured he was starting to look good and put his authority on games.

Thames Bank 1

Lukic will come in, as now looks fit and the main thing Marco likes him, have him, Owobi and Andreas against spuds, all are capable of attacking and defending

AJW48361

Seems to play everything safe in a Fulham shirt looks afraid to make mistakes or take Risk's

Whitestone

Lukic looks so much better this season. The injury was unfortunate because it came at a time when he looked like cementing a regular starting position.

SerbianLad

Quote from: AJW48361 on October 19, 2023, 03:06:12 AMSeems to play everything safe in a Fulham shirt looks afraid to make mistakes or take Risk's
I think that was largely due to him playing as a DM and not as an 8. There was one game (can't remember which game it was) where Lukic and Reed swapped roles in the second half, and Lukic took more risks and we played better. Also in his short Chelsea cameo he played some really nice balls, like the diagonal to Willian that started our best attack in which he managed to get on the end of it(the finish should have been better, but everything else he did was spot on). It seems to me like Marco instructed him to play it safe when he was playing as a DM.

Quote from: Whitestone on October 19, 2023, 08:34:06 AMLukic looks so much better this season. The injury was unfortunate because it came at a time when he looked like cementing a regular starting position.
I agree. When Palhinha came back from injury, he got the nod in the Arsenal game, and Reed started on the bench.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Whitestone on October 19, 2023, 08:34:06 AMLukic looks so much better this season. The injury was unfortunate because it came at a time when he looked like cementing a regular starting position.

I always thought he'd do better in the second season. The hardest thing to adjust to is the pace of the Premier League, as it's pretty slow in Serie A and you get more time to think.

SerbianLad

Some of his highlights from this match, for those interested.

Bobsffc

Yep, Lukic has the makings of a really good player...keeps the ball moving, is able to pick a pass, finds space. If he could score a handful of goals, he'd be a certain starter.

Quite a good first Serbia goal there, whoever it was.

Elfy

Speaking to my Torino friends they were very sad to see him go.

love4ffc

Agree with those who think Lukic could play the number 8.  Would be interesting to see Lukic and Palhinha with Iwobi playing the number 10.  If they played regularly together they could become a great midfield. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

General

Quote from: AJW48361 on October 19, 2023, 03:06:12 AMSeems to play everything safe in a Fulham shirt looks afraid to make mistakes or take Risk's

Almost got on the score sheet last game or the one before as a cross fizzed across the mouth of the goal I believe.

Think a goal could settle his nerves a lot and he'd kick on from there.