watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Question about Barcelona FC

Started by duffbeer, January 20, 2011, 05:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffbeer

I'm getting tired of all the talk about Barcelona and their beautiful flowing football.  Maybe if I made a point to watch them, I wouldnt be as annoyed, but I already watch too much footy as it is.  So here's my question.  If Barcelona were suddenly put in the Prem, would they be able to play the same type of football day in and day out that they do today in La Liga?

MJG

its the old could they play it on a crap pitch in november at Stoke/Blackburn etc when its pissing down question? 
Having watched a lot of their games on TV this season my answer would be hell yes. They play nice football but they bloody work hard as a team as well. Ok it might not end up being so pleasent on the eye due to the conditions but unlike Arsenal they have an end result.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: duffbeer on January 20, 2011, 05:58:47 PM
would they be able to play the same type of football day in and day out that they do today in La Liga?

No.

Messi would be fouled at the halfway line every time they attack. Their football is too schematic for the Prem. Adding to that, they get an awful lot of time to shoot/pass from the awestruck La Liga defenders and defensive midfielders. Now imagine Joey Barton v Messi. That would be an absolute miss match - for Messi.

Blingo

You clearly don't watch too many Barca matches Mr F. They are one hell of a side and if you think that barton would get anywhere near Messi I think you are mistaken. Messi can do NOTHING for 80 minutes in a game and then suddenly he's there and you are two down in three minutes. Or there would be two or three players watching him whilst the others run riot. Would Barca cope? Bet your house on it. :54:

TheDon

sipwell

I think they would compete with the top 3 without any problem. Their philosophy is that they do not adjust their type of playing to the opponent. They play from their own strength. It pays off most of the times. In good days, Fulham plays a similar type of football. Unfortunately the passing is a bit less accurate and they don't have someone to kick the ball in the net...
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Blingo on January 20, 2011, 06:46:02 PM
You clearly don't watch too many Barca matches Mr F.

I did watch about 15 matches of them this season...

AlFayedsChequebook

Barcelona are a fantastic side. So far this season most of the title challenge teams in the prem have been average at best.

If Barca were in the prem this season, they would be 10 points ahead of their nearest rivals.

HatterDon

The thing that people miss about Barcelona is how much they emulate one significant feature of Premier League football. Their attackers close down on defenders and make it extremely difficult for them to work the ball upfield. This combination of 11-man defensive discipline and individual creative attacking brilliance is stunning.

Forget what Sky tells you every 15 minutes, The Barclay's Premier League AIN'T all that. Barcelona, on the other hand, are probably the best club side in the world right now, with the second best being Franco United, or Real Madrid if you prefer.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

duffbeer

Thanks for the thoughts.

I know they would be a top team in the Prem, if not the best.  But the question was more about would they have to change the way they play if they were in the Prem.  When I've criticized Hughes for long ball play this season, some people have countered with claim that the long ball was only a reaction by the players to pressure from the opposition.  In other words, the long ball was not a part of the plan.  

So for me, I wonder is Barca could continue to play their "lovely" football if week in and week out they faced the intesity of the Prem, especially this season.

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on January 20, 2011, 09:41:47 PM
Forget what Sky tells you every 15 minutes, The Barclay's Premier League AIN'T all that. Barcelona, on the other hand, are probably the best club side in the world right now, with the second best being Franco United, or Real Madrid if you prefer.
Forget what FIFA tells you as well mate. The Prem isn't as bad as you think.
Last 16 left in the CL:
England 4 (3 of which were group winners)
Italy 3
Spain 3
France 2
Germany 2
Denmark 1
Ukraine 1

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead