watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Enigma That Is Tom Cairney

Started by Southcoastffc, November 28, 2023, 10:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

IMO, and that of several others near me last night, was that TC was absent for the first half, did sweet FA and might well have been substituted at HT.  But 2nd half he was entirely different - as if he'd woken up or had 8 sugars in his half time cup of tea - he was superb.  I can't remember how many, if any, fouls he drew in the first half but in the 2nd he was targeted time and time again.  Weird. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

ChesterTheTabby

Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Motspur Park

Cairney was more influential in the 2nd half but he was far from absent. It was a different game in the first and only Iwobi of our midfield was seen in the first half, and most of his touches were poor. Like Cairney and Willian, Iwobi was much improved in the 2nd. Reed was not as effective without Palhinha or a second enforcer.
What I am pointing out that just because Cairney (and the team) improved in the 2nd half, it does not make him an enigma.

cookieg

I think there needs to be a bit of perspective here. We were playing Wolves not Citeh. When TC is given time and space he can play some superb passes and really dictate how we play. Liverpool will be a completely different proposal. There is an argument that TC should be a starter and I would really love to see him pulling the strings in a fine performance up at Anfield but I just can't see that he will be given the opportunity either by Marco or Liverpool.

bencher

filham

Cairney had a great game against Wolves, he really adds a much needed attacking element to the midfield.
Suspect that with the return of Palhinha he will now be dropped against Liverpool as Silva will be putting an emphasis on defense and physical strength.

RaySmith

Tom certainly impressed v  Wolves, not just his overall play and creativity, but his fitness - he had the strength and stamina, as well as desire, to make that sliding tackle on the defender, then  get up and receive the ball and surge into the area, before being brought down for the pen.

And he was involved in so most of our  attacks and goal efforts in the second half.

Interesting to see what Silva does v Liverpool - we certainly missed Palhinha in that first half v Wolves, and he is obviously bound to start, but Silva has said how impressed he was with TC.

Jock White

Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 28, 2023, 10:51:49 PMIMO, and that of several others near me last night, was that TC was absent for the first half, did sweet FA and might well have been substituted at HT.  But 2nd half he was entirely different - as if he'd woken up or had 8 sugars in his half time cup of tea - he was superb.  I can't remember how many, if any, fouls he drew in the first half but in the 2nd he was targeted time and time again.  Weird. 
Agreed, myself and buddy reckoned take him off at halftime and get Lukic on.
2nd half he was further up the pitch and a different player despite getting constantly clattered.
Just shows we know eff all...

bencher

Well we can't start Reed against Liverpool. We got away with it v Wolves, but Liverpool won't be so profligate when given gifts 20 yards from goal.

I thought Iwobi was more effective on the right than he has been next to Palhinha. So I would keep him there and encourage him to get into the box. Cairney has to be in with a shout to play v Liverpool.

TC's Sporran

didnt do a lot first half  but dunno about sweet fa.

shamelessly stolen of Mat10's post.

https://streamable.com/27wa1a
https://streamable.com/j5ezli

plus a blocked shot and a shot saved by the keeper.
and linked a lot of play up.

this post #105 shows that raul did a lot of good.
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=92329.msg1466857#msg1466857

Twig

To suggest that TC was absent in the first half and did sweet fa is a massive exaggeration imo. Yes, he played deeper and didn't influence the game as much but he was constantly available to receive the ball out of defence and I thought he brought a steadiness and confidence that in the absence of a tough tackling Palhinha our midfield really needed. Once he was given licence after half time to play further forward he was able to show his best qualities and I think we're all aware of those, but I wouldn't underestimate his contribution to laying a solid foundation in those first 45 minutes.

Mickeyboro

He is our generation's Haynes.

But the Maestro would never have done the block tackle that set the second half alight.

TC was worth the price of admission. Enough said!

Cobh Fulham Fan

The only enigma is calling Tom an Enigma!

LC

My personal opinion is that both Cairney and Reed are underrated.

Jim©

Quote from: Jock White on November 29, 2023, 11:19:30 AMAgreed, myself and buddy reckoned take him off at halftime and get Lukic on.
2nd half he was further up the pitch and a different player despite getting constantly clattered.
Just shows we know eff all...

I wanted that switch but with Reed going off rather than TC. Not playing week in week out has affected Harrison, I thought he looked very bad unfortunately. Lukic a much tidier player with the ball at his feet, covers less ground than HR but reads the game a bit better. Still TC is a must start in the next game, which is no given despite Silva's comment that he was "the best player on the pitch", as he'd said the same about Wilson after the Villa game and he ended up benched.

jarv

I dont think he is an enigma. You know what you are going to get. Great first touch and vision to pick a pass. Unfortunately, he does seem a little bit slower but I think that is more to do with the premier league trend that everyone has to be an olympic sprinter which is not all good for the game.

FishaPrice

One thing about Marco Silva - when an individual player (or the entire team) performs poorly in the first half, he usually is able to improve things in the second half. I am guessing Marco tweaked things a bit, and got Tom more involved.

bog

I could not believe TC's ball winning tackle on Lemina. This had my aged body out of its seat.

hovewhite

Quote from: FishaPrice on November 30, 2023, 10:49:53 PMOne thing about Marco Silva - when an individual player (or the entire team) performs poorly in the first half, he usually is able to improve things in the second half. I am guessing Marco tweaked things a bit, and got Tom more involved.
that's the thing as it seems something silva is good at and think he enjoys tweeks that he does.

perry geyton

He really was not that bad in the first half, he played well but in the second half he was outstanding which makes his first half come across as weaker

Anyone that can't see what he brings to this team clearly has an agenda against him, "oh his knees are bad" and all that nonsense