watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

BDR

Started by perry geyton, December 31, 2023, 04:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bencher

I struggle a bit with BDR. On one hand he tries hard in whatever role he is put. We signed him as a sort of no.10 but he has barely ever played that position for us. And over the course of a season he will chip in with a few goals, even at PL level, which is vital.

But I also always think that by him playing, we are missing out on so much more possible output. He plays on the wing but is not a huge threat from there. He has a reasonable cross on him but hardly ever puts the ball in the box. He is not likely to beat his man by skill or pace. He grafts in defending but has also been beaten umpteen times to lead to conceding goals. He has a decent leap on him but will mostly get outmuscled by opponents. He misses a fair few good chances.

I'm happy for him that he scored the winner, but I still feel I prefer to see someone else start. I enjoyed the games in which Iwobi started on the right and I think he brings more to that position than BDR does.

bill taylors apprentice

I understand his qualities and why he's often picked, my concerns about him is his finishing should be better and he gives the ball away cheaply occasionally in midfield which can put us under pressure.

But if he was better at the above he probably wouldn't be playing for us.

He's a good PL player if not a nailed on starter.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: bencher on January 01, 2024, 12:41:43 PMI struggle a bit with BDR. On one hand he tries hard in whatever role he is put. We signed him as a sort of no.10 but he has barely ever played that position for us. And over the course of a season he will chip in with a few goals, even at PL level, which is vital.

But I also always think that by him playing, we are missing out on so much more possible output. He plays on the wing but is not a huge threat from there. He has a reasonable cross on him but hardly ever puts the ball in the box. He is not likely to beat his man by skill or pace. He grafts in defending but has also been beaten umpteen times to lead to conceding goals. He has a decent leap on him but will mostly get outmuscled by opponents. He misses a fair few good chances.

I'm happy for him that he scored the winner, but I still feel I prefer to see someone else start. I enjoyed the games in which Iwobi started on the right and I think he brings more to that position than BDR does.

I think this sums up the situation well.

He does chip in with a few valuable goals here and there but his output in most games is quite underwhelming.

Prefer him coming off the bench for most games - but his 2nd half was solid yesterday

Bobsffc

Well, it's all a matter of opinions I suppose. From my point of view, Bobby had an excellent game, and played a key role in defence and in attack. He did put in a couple of really good crosses in the second half, and beat the full back for pace to get a dangerous cross in on at least one occasion. His use of the ball was generally very good. One particular diagonal pass in the second half from way back in out own half almost picked out Raul for a chance for a one on one for goal. In addition, his general work rate and graft is second-to-none...Arsenal's left hand side was pretty much blocked off as an outlet for them for 85 minutes after their goal, a goal which I don't think he can be blamed for. And he scored the winner, very coolly and cleanly dispatched.

The comparison has  been made with Stan Brown, and I think that's a good one. He's the kind of team player that all successful sides have. Marco plays him week in week out, either in the starting 11 or from the bench, and I'm glad he does.

btffc

Quote from: bencher on January 01, 2024, 12:41:43 PMI struggle a bit with BDR. On one hand he tries hard in whatever role he is put. We signed him as a sort of no.10 but he has barely ever played that position for us. And over the course of a season he will chip in with a few goals, even at PL level, which is vital.

I agree BDR should never be a regular starter unless there is an injury issue, but his start yesterday was a tactical master stroke by Marco. Bobby was essentially playing as a RWB and we had a hybrid 5 at the back system when Arsenal was in possession and they really had no answer for it. It's similar to what I've seen suggested here before with Castagne playing as the RW with Tete at RB. Yesterday, Tosin would shift to the middle, Castagne would tuck into the RCB position and BDR dropped all the down into the RB position to defend against Martinelli. Doing so allowed BDR and Jedi to fully concentrate on defending Saka and Martinelli while Bassey and Castagne had the freedom to cut off midfield runs into the box without having to worry about leaving too much space since Tosin was still there.

Then he was still able to function as a winger when we were on attack. Having the flexibility to do that because of BDR is a huge advantage and something I really don't think any of our other wingers would be able to pull off. Castagne possibly could but using BDR in that position gives Marco the ability to switch fully to 4 at the back if needed and BDR play as a regular winger that Castagne may not be able to.

It's something that should only be needed sparingly against top clubs but a great option and he is a key to it.

RaySmith

BDR is a real unsung hero, does a lot of work that goes unnoticed, always grafting for the team, but  skilful too, and and is also one of our top goal scorers throughout the seasons.

The type of player you need in a squad, always does a job wherever he's asked to play, a real team player.

peachcobbler

High workrate and defensive capabilities are why he was started imo and both looked great. He marked Martinelli well the majority of the game. Cherry on top he made some decent runs and found himself in the best spot to punch in a goal.

Twig

Quote from: btffc on January 01, 2024, 01:10:43 PM

I agree BDR should never be a regular starter unless there is an injury issue, but his start yesterday was a tactical master stroke by Marco. Bobby was essentially playing as a RWB and we had a hybrid 5 at the back system when Arsenal was in possession and they really had no answer for it. It's similar to what I've seen suggested here before with Castagne playing as the RW with Tete at RB. Yesterday, Tosin would shift to the middle, Castagne would tuck into the RCB position and BDR dropped all the down into the RB position to defend against Martinelli. Doing so allowed BDR and Jedi to fully concentrate on defending Saka and Martinelli while Bassey and Castagne had the freedom to cut off midfield runs into the box without having to worry about leaving too much space since Tosin was still there.

Then he was still able to function as a winger when we were on attack. Having the flexibility to do that because of BDR is a huge advantage and something I really don't think any of our other wingers would be able to pull off. Castagne possibly could but using BDR in that position gives Marco the ability to switch fully to 4 at the back if needed and BDR play as a regular winger that Castagne may not be able to.

It's something that should only be needed sparingly against top clubs but a great option and he is a key to it.

Interesting analysis, I haven't seen the game yet so will look for this when I catch up on it.

H4usuallysitting

Strangely, he appears to play better with Castagne

Arthur

Quote from: btffc on January 01, 2024, 01:10:43 PMI agree BDR should never be a regular starter unless there is an injury issue, but his start yesterday was a tactical master stroke by Marco. Bobby was essentially playing as a RWB and we had a hybrid 5 at the back system when Arsenal was in possession and they really had no answer for it.

Good analysis. And, indeed, it proved to be a good tactical move.

But it didn't look that way after 5 minutes when Arsenal counter-attacked following a run into the penalty area by Castagne. The very thing it appeared BDR was meant to do - cover Martinelli on the break - didn't happen and they scored. After that, however, Bobby played his role diligently and Silva's plan limited Arsenal's attacking play down that flank.

WindyCity

Observation about BDR's winning tally.  Upon watching several replays and different angles, if BDR had fluffed the opportunity, I just wonder if FFC would have been awarded a PK.  It looked like at least 2 Arsenal defenders touched the ball with their arms, and somewhat away from their bodies.  At least two, maybe another.  Anyway, was wondering if anyone else noticed.  The two commentators doing the Peacock feed didn't mention anything about this, even after watching replays.  Obviously, thank goodness BDR made good on the chance. 

Just wondering what others might have thought.......

btffc

Quote from: WindyCity on January 01, 2024, 03:32:25 PMObservation about BDR's winning tally.  Upon watching several replays and different angles, if BDR had fluffed the opportunity, I just wonder if FFC would have been awarded a PK.  It looked like at least 2 Arsenal defenders touched the ball with their arms, and somewhat away from their bodies.  At least two, maybe another.  Anyway, was wondering if anyone else noticed.  The two commentators doing the Peacock feed didn't mention anything about this, even after watching replays.  Obviously, thank goodness BDR made good on the chance. 

I don't think so. Palhinha heads the balls in to Rice's face then the ball deflects into Tomiyasu's shoulder and his arm was against his body. Maybe it hits rice's arm before hitting him in the face, didn't see a good angle of that, but that would have been obscenely harsh to give.

Cobh Fulham Fan

one of the more promising aspects of yesterdays deserved win, was after Arsenal took the lead 4mins in, we didnt put our head down like we used to in the past, and came back even stronger.  A good omen for the future.

Also, am I the only one on here that saw Saka's goal as off-side? Or should I make an appointment for Specsavers?

perry geyton

Bobby Decordova Reidinhio

perry geyton

Quote from: WindyCity on January 01, 2024, 03:32:25 PMObservation about BDR's winning tally.  Upon watching several replays and different angles, if BDR had fluffed the opportunity, I just wonder if FFC would have been awarded a PK.  It looked like at least 2 Arsenal defenders touched the ball with their arms, and somewhat away from their bodies.  At least two, maybe another.  Anyway, was wondering if anyone else noticed.  The two commentators doing the Peacock feed didn't mention anything about this, even after watching replays.  Obviously, thank goodness BDR made good on the chance. 

I thought the same thing on 2 occasions, glad it didn't come to that

flyingfish

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on January 01, 2024, 05:27:10 PMone of the more promising aspects of yesterdays deserved win, was after Arsenal took the lead 4mins in, we didnt put our head down like we used to in the past, and came back even stronger.  A good omen for the future.

Also, am I the only one on here that saw Saka's goal as off-side? Or should I make an appointment for Specsavers?

Yes I thought that. If any goal deserved a lengthy VAR check
It was that one

cookieg

Quote from: flyingfish on January 01, 2024, 06:39:08 PM
Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on January 01, 2024, 05:27:10 PMone of the more promising aspects of yesterdays deserved win, was after Arsenal took the lead 4mins in, we didnt put our head down like we used to in the past, and came back even stronger.  A good omen for the future.

Yes I thought that. If any goal deserved a lengthy VAR check
It was that one

On what grounds?

hovewhite

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 01, 2024, 02:38:17 PMStrangely, he appears to play better with Castagne
I have noticed that,and also think we need an high energy player while Iwobi is away and think BDR will give us that.