https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Marco charged by the FA again

Started by SerbianLad, January 04, 2024, 06:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerbianLad

For his post-Newcastle comments:

ffcthereligion

The comments do none of those things. They only question his competence and ability to withstand the pressure of a crowd. No surprise though!

SerbianLad

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 04, 2024, 06:26:06 PMThe comments do none of those things. They only question his competence and ability to withstand the pressure of a crowd. No surprise though!
The timing is very strange as well. That match happened ages ago. Now Marco might be banned for the Liverpool game. Arteta escaped similar charges this season, let's see if there's consistency...

Sting of the North

Quote from: SerbianLad on January 04, 2024, 06:32:16 PM
Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 04, 2024, 06:26:06 PMThe comments do none of those things. They only question his competence and ability to withstand the pressure of a crowd. No surprise though!
The timing is very strange as well. That match happened ages ago. Now Marco might be banned for the Liverpool game. Arteta escaped similar charges this season, let's see if there's consistency...

I wouldn't put money on it...

Angus Telford

Football governance really is a joke. I cannot fathom how in a (generally) free and fair, developed society, these people have the temerity to create and enforce rules like this, without even getting started on the inconsistency of application mentioned above.

Ruislip White

Regardless of consistency of treatment, there was no need to make the comments and risk both the negative attention and a censure.
Refs are only human and will of course have sub conscious bias in their decision making.  When our manager is calling out refs (for no upside) and our team shows more dissent than many others, it increases our chances of getting bad calls on 50/50s and increase the likelihood that we'll get treated treated unfairly at times.

It's not right.  It's not fair, but we can't control that.  What our manager (and players by extension) can control is how they behave towards referees and we don't help ourselves.

The Enclosurite

Anything to help Liverpool out.
¡COYW!

Lighthouse

Forget timing and the rest. I am finding the FA discipline more and more sinister. Not allowing a player or coach to speak freely implies that there is something to hide. Far from trying to clean up the game. The rules seem to be to silence comment. To halt debate and to stop any attempt to try and clear the air and make free speech something to fear.

Now by all means try and stop bad language and players and coaches losing  their temper. But by not allowing a comment criticising the officials and or VAR. Both of whom have been found guilty and wanting many times this season. It throws up that uncomfortable feeling of censorship. They are always right and there can be no debate or criticism. We will soon find that coaches and players will just not attend press after match meetings. The FA should just let people have their say and move on. Otherwise it all feels uncomfortable and sinister.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bobbo

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 04, 2024, 07:52:05 PMForget timing and the rest. I am finding the FA discipline more and more sinister. Not allowing a player or coach to speak freely implies that there is something to hide. Far from trying to clean up the game. The rules seem to be to silence comment. To halt debate and to stop any attempt to try and clear the air and make free speech something to fear.

Now by all means try and stop bad language and players and coaches losing  their temper. But by not allowing a comment criticising the officials and or VAR. Both of whom have been found guilty and wanting many times this season. It throws up that uncomfortable feeling of censorship. They are always right and there can be no debate or criticism. We will soon find that coaches and players will just not attend press after match meetings. The FA should just let people have their say and move on. Otherwise it all feels uncomfortable and sinister.
perfectly put the fa are acting like a gestapo, lighthouse you've got it spot on .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

OZ-WHITE

FFS.............16th December and they wait until now .
They talk about alleged allegations of bias and they wait until we have important Cup games
If it wasn't for the medication I,d be chewing on your skin

sarnian

Quote from: Ruislip White on January 04, 2024, 07:18:05 PMRegardless of consistency of treatment, there was no need to make the comments and risk both the negative attention and a censure.
Refs are only human and will of course have sub conscious bias in their decision making.  When our manager is calling out refs (for no upside) and our team shows more dissent than many others, it increases our chances of getting bad calls on 50/50s and increase the likelihood that we'll get treated treated unfairly at times.

It's not right.  It's not fair, but we can't control that.  What our manager (and players by extension) can control is how they behave towards referees and we don't help ourselves.

Managers are also human and therefore also have subconscious bias so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

As for your insinuation about how we behave towards referees I can guarantee a lot of teams are far far worse than us.  Yes we may have picked up a lot of bookings ( and we all know some have been ridiculous) but that has nothing to do with on field behavior towards officials.

The FA need to get off their high horse and start by treating all managers equally. Silva's antics on the line are actually minor compared to a lot you see from others.

Nick Bateman

All Marco said was he thought the sending off of Jiminez was harsh, which he paraphrased, "in my opinion". Was the careful wording enough to make a nasty corrupt body like the FA, in my opinion, triggered to make  this charge??

It was after the Arsenal game and he was asked about Raul's return and if Fulham missed him. I find this charge so frivalous as all he did was state his view of the suspension of his centre-forward. Harsh is fair comment. The on-field referee gave a yellow, he was effectively overruled by the coward in VAR. It was all to help Newcastle win and it harmed Fulham massively, as we went on to lose our following three matches.

This is the worst abuse of authority by the FA against Fulham and Marco in particular.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Twig

I always try to be fair minded and set aside my natural Fulham bias. However this charge from the FA, not to mention the timing, is absolutely over the top. I guess Marco and every other club manager will have to realise that the FA is a totalitarian regime that effectively wants to gag them from any form of free speech and seeks to override the fundamental principles of natural justice. I can only assume that such a paranoid organisation has a great deal to hide, there's no smoke without fire as they say.

BestOfBrede

Think it's time that Marco (and others) refuse to speak to the press immediately  after the final whistle. They'll probably be told they HAVE to be interviewed due to Prem/sky rules, though!
Imo I don't see why they can't send out spokesman for the club rather than the manager?

Andy S

I understand that match officials have a hard job I also understand the pressure managers are under especially when playing a big club. It is wrong that managers are contracted to be interviewed after a match when the match referee has no similar obligation. The biggest culprit are the TV companies who love a bit of scandal or controversy. They don't care even if it gets the manager the sack! I think the players should get together and refuse to do post match until hours after after a game has finished

Ruislip White

Quote from: Nick Bateman on January 04, 2024, 08:48:59 PMAll Marco said was he thought the sending off of Jiminez was harsh, which he paraphrased, "in my opinion". Was the careful wording enough to make a nasty corrupt body like the FA, in my opinion, triggered to make  this charge??

It was after the Arsenal game and he was asked about Raul's return and if Fulham missed him. I find this charge so frivalous as all he did was state his view of the suspension of his centre-forward. Harsh is fair comment. The on-field referee gave a yellow, he was effectively overruled by the coward in VAR. It was all to help Newcastle win and it harmed Fulham massively, as we went on to lose our following three matches.

This is the worst abuse of authority by the FA against Fulham and Marco in particular.
Quote from: sarnian on January 04, 2024, 08:32:45 PM
Quote from: Ruislip White on January 04, 2024, 07:18:05 PMRegardless of consistency of treatment, there was no need to make the comments and risk both the negative attention and a censure.

Managers are also human and therefore also have subconscious bias so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

As for your insinuation about how we behave towards referees I can guarantee a lot of teams are far far worse than us.  Yes we may have picked up a lot of bookings ( and we all know some have been ridiculous) but that has nothing to do with on field behavior towards officials.

The FA need to get off their high horse and start by treating all managers equally. Silva's antics on the line are actually minor compared to a lot you see from others.
I don't disagree with most of what you say.  Marco however, can't change anything through post match comments.  Complaining about refs post match is pointless.  Achieves nothing and changes nothing.  Better to let the pundits and other managers do it.
They're nothing subconscious about comments after a game.  They are deliberate and should be better thought out.  Arguing with refs (the way Andreas and Leno did for example against Bournemouth) is also pointless- it won't change a refs mind but will get players booked.
None of this should be the case - but it is what it is, and we need to be smarter...

Eton White

Quote from: Andy S on January 04, 2024, 09:36:45 PMI understand that match officials have a hard job I also understand the pressure managers are under especially when playing a big club. It is wrong that managers are contracted to be interviewed after a match when the match referee has no similar obligation. The biggest culprit are the TV companies who love a bit of scandal or controversy. They don't care even if it gets the manager the sack! I think the players should get together and refuse to do post match until hours after after a game has finished

This is spot on. The press often goad managers and players into saying things in the heat of the moment which they would probably keep to themselves otherwise.
Managers are contracted to answer journalists' questions directly after a match but when they do, they're penalised by the FA if they answer them honestly.

Fulham Tup North

Yes... little old Fulham should sit there quietly and put up with whatever the top team, bias, often incompetent Refs decide to dish out...
How dare anyone question the almighty FA!!
I jest of course... but you do get the feeling that even if Marco kept his own council, Fulham would still get constant decisions against them... there has always been this bias and VAR makes it easier to add to their bias...
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

ffc73

Marco needs to adopt the Wenger approach to post match interviews & supply the stock answer to interviewers of "I didn't see the incident".

Wenger used it so often that I wondered if he was ever at a game.

Brawn

Time for the club to come out swinging.

- Why charge us now after 3 weeks, immediately before our semi final cup game?
- Whilst Marco's comments may be breaking the rule as written, we have seen several worse statements by clubs and referees (Liverpool and Arsenal) go unpunished.
- The club has been on the receiving end of many poor decisions this season and has not had one apology from PGMOL. Examples including the City goal, the Tosin shoe incident, Tim Ream's red card, the poor referees against Burnley and Arsenal in the last two weeks alone...
- The issue of Saudi-backed referees refereeing Saudi-backed Newcastle.
- That Chris Kavanagh has been selected as VAR for the 1st Leg against Liverpool.

The club should therefore write to FIFA and/or IFAB with a formal complaint about the Premier League, the Football Association, and the PGMOL.