more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 14/01/24...

Started by WhiteJC, January 14, 2024, 05:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Silva upset over no VAR action on Gusto
Fulham boss Marco Silva says a high challenge by Malo Gusto on Willian should have resulted in a red card in his side's 1-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge.

Fulham defended well until a rash challenge from Issa Diop in first-half stoppage time saw Cole Palmer slot home the subsequent penalty to hand Chelsea a fourth win in five Premier League matches.

Gusto was booked for his challenge but referee Anthony Taylor was not told to review the decision on a pitch-side monitor in the 37th minute of the game.

"It was a mistake from the VAR in my opinion," said Silva.

"In my opinion it was a clear red card. I accept that it was hard for him (Taylor) to see if it was a red card or a yellow and I have to be fair to him it was very quick for him to see.

"But it has to be down to the VAR to overturn the decision. So far in the Premier League in moments like that nine out of 10 times they are overturned."

Chelsea were the better team throughout and hit the post twice in the second half with Fulham missing two decent chances in either half from Harry Wilson and Raul Jimenez.

However, Silva said he was pleased with how his side defended up until Diop conceded the penalty.

"The way we started the game was not at our best level, Chelsea were better than us," Silva said.

"We didn't connect well in transition which is what we are usually strong at.

"We had some moments to score but through Wilson but it was a very good save from Wilson by the Chelsea goalkeeper.

"But I thought we were better as the game progressed and it became more even as a contest."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/fulham-boss-silva-upset-over-no-var-action-on-gusto

WhiteJC

Player ratings: Chelsea 1-0 Fulham

George Rossiter has the ratings from the SW6 derby.

Fulham fell to a third local derby defeat to nil of the season after losing by a singular goal at Stamford Bridge in what was a poor game of football in all honesty. Chelsea started the game the strongest and Fulham did well to see off 45 minutes of pressure, before conceding a penalty deep into added time, which was put home by Cole Palmer. Despite pushing for an equaliser late on, it never came.

Bernd Leno

Had no real big saves to make in the first half despite Chelsea's dominance in possession. Just like in the game at Anfield on Wednesday, his composure in our six yard box was impressive, catching everything that came his way. Annoyingly Palmer's penalty sent the German the complete wrong way. Made a really strong save in the final minutes of the game to deny a powerful Madueke strike reaching the bottom corner. 6.5/10.

Kenny Tete

Started really poorly and seemed to constantly lose the ball and any duels in the opening 15 minutes, leading to Sterling getting into some dangerous positions and Tete committing a number of fouls. Certainly grew into the game though, and made a couple of vital blocks and interceptions in our own box from Sterling early in the half. 6/10.

Tosin

A much improved performance after a bit of a shocker at Anfield in the week. The most clearances of any Fulham player by a mile, proving effective in both boxes. Defensively headed everything away, and in the closing stages proving a real nuisance to the Chelsea defence as we looked to create more from set pieces. Noticeably much more composed on the ball again today too. 7/10.

Issa Diop

Just looks like he's going to be one of those really frustrating players to watch. It's not the first time that a rash challenge has come in the midst of a really good performance. For the majority of the game, Diop was solid and remarkably composed in his defensive work...so to throw that away and swipe down Sterling at a really important moment in the game was infuriating. 6.5/10.

Antonee Robinson

Arguably created Fulham's best chances in open play. First came a pinpoint low cross across Chelsea's centre backs which fell to Wilson at the back post who forced a save. Then early in the second half, a deep cross found Jimenez who headed over. Lost the ball slightly too often in midfield in the second half, leaving Fulham vulnerable on the counter attack. 6.5/10.

Joao Palhinha

Had quite a quiet first half, which was obvious in the way Chelsea dominated possession and had too much space too often on the edge of our area. Another who grew into the game, inevitably ending with the most tackles of any Fulham player by the time he came off in the final ten minutes. Unfortunately never really impacted the game in possession either. 6/10.

Tom Cairney

Just not the captain's day at all. Looked like he might be the man to wrestle us back some control in the first half but just never created anything, which is unlike Cairney. For the first time in a while, everything he did on the ball was so slow and lethargic and every final ball never found its man. Surprised he played the full 90 in the end. 5/10.

Andreas Pereira

For me, definitely our brightest spark on the day. Made the most impressive runs and looked the most creative of any of our attacking players in the first half by a mile. Pressed Chelsea's backline with great intent non stop and created a brilliant chance for Raul Jimenez in the second half after taking on two Chelsea players and squeezing a pass past them into a dangerous area. 7.5/10 – Man of the match.

Harry Wilson

Had Fulham's first real chance of the game on the half hour mark, with a Robinson cross falling onto his weaker right foot at the back post, the Welshman forcing a good near post save from Petrovic in the Chelsea net. Was Fulham's most dangerous player towards the end of the first half, but faded as the game went on and struggled to create during the second half. 6.5/10.

Willian

Added a bit of quality on the ball when it was needed at times, but never quite created the best chances himself. His most dangerous moments for most of the game came when he found Robinson's overlaps which resulted in the ball finding the Chelsea box. Tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck late on, with a number of dangerous set pieces, but by then it was too little, too late, sadly. 6.5/10.

Raul Jimenez

Honestly you could have been forgiven for thinking Fulham had ten men in the first half, Jimenez saw the ball that infrequently. Thankfully, he finally got a chance 55 minutes into the game but headed over the bar. Caused Thiago Silva in particular more issues in the second half with his quality on the ball. The less said about his effort from the halfway line, the better. 5.5/10.

Substitutes

Bobby De Cordova-Reid

Subbed on after 64 minutes for Harry Wilson

Made a number of really nice runs beyond Levi Colwill after coming on but we never seemed to have the quality on the ball to find them, which left the Jamaican cutting a frustrated figure. 6/10.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2024-01-13-player-ratings-chelsea-1-0-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham will be better away in second half of the campaign, vows Marco
It has been a distinctly underwhelming time for Fulham fans on their travels to see the team so far this season - and Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Chelsea did not improve the picture.

Once again the Whites struggled to reproduce the fine home form they have displayed at times and although they showed some fight late on, they did nowhere near enough to get anything from their latest derby with their bitter rivals.

Even allowing for the red card that never was following a foul by Malo Gusto on Willian late in the first half, there could not be too many arguments about who was the better team on the day.

But Marco Silva is confident his team will improve on the road in the second half of the season and finally get to add to the one meagre victory achieved so far in 11 games - on the opening day against Everton.

"It's been tough for us," the Fulham boss admitted. "Of course we did start really well the season away from home at Goodison Park. After that we didn't achieve the results that we wanted or deserved.

"It was a difficult schedule for us away from home for us in the first half [of the season]...I'm sure that we are going to turn it around for us second hal and we are going to start getting better results away from home.

"Normally we are a really brave team that we don't change really almost  anything in our approach [to home games]. But the Premier League's the Premier League and it's always really difficult to play away from home."

Silva added: "Of course we want to make Craven Cottage our fortress, where we are really strong at home, but I really believe and I'm confident that we are going to improve our away performances as well."

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/fulham-will-be-better-away-in-second-half-of-the-campaign-vows-marco

WhiteJC

'For me it's a clear red card' – Marco Silva unimpressed with decision not to send off Chelsea star
Marco Silva wasn't happy with the referee's decision not to send off Malo Gusto during Chelsea's clash with Fulham on Saturday afternoon.

The Blues picked up all three points at Stamford Bridge after a 1-0 win against London rivals Fulham with Chelsea moving above Manchester United and Newcastle into eight.

A Cole Palmer penalty at the end of the first half was enough to get Mauricio Pochettino's side over the line while Fulham are now rooted in 13th place.

The visitors will feel that they were unlucky to play against ten men for the entirety of the game after Chelsea defender Gusto caught Willian with his studs on the Brazilian's ankle.

Speaking after the game, Silva claimed it was difficult to understand the decision not to send the full-back off.

"We have to talk about the red card, it has to be a red card for Gusto, it's difficult to understand how things aren't consistent." He said in his press conference via the Daily Mail.

"For me it's a clear red card."

Fulham won't have much time to ponder on the decision as they must direct their attention to Wednesday night's crucial second-leg tie against Liverpool at Craven Cottage.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2024/01/13/for-me-its-a-clear-red-card-marco-silva-unimpressed-with-decision-not-to-send-off-chelsea-star/

WhiteJC

'Maybe it should be red' – Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino agrees with Marco Silva rant on key moment
Mauricio Pochettino has agreed with Fulham boss Marco Silva that Malo Gusto should have been sent off at Stamford Bridge.

The Blues edged out a 1-0 win against their west London rivals on Saturday, with Cole Palmer's first half penalty proving to be the difference.

But they were fortunate to still have ten players on the pitch after Gusto was only shown a yellow card for a horror tackle on Willian.

With the score level at 0-0, the French right-back put in a studs-up challenge on the ex-Blues forward, who was left writhing in agony.

Referee Anthony Taylor awarded Gusto a yellow, and despite VAR taking a look at the incident, failed to send the match official to the pitchside monitor.

The incident has proved to be a key talking point from the clash, with Silva left furious by the decision.

Speaking to talkSPORT's Sam Matterface, Silva said: "One moment in the first half which for me had a huge impact on the game, Gusto should have been red carded.

"It's a clear red card situation, it's a clear mistake from the referee, VAR should have overturned the decision from the ref.

"It was a good decision from Anthony Taylor in that moment, it's difficult to see if it's a red or a yellow, he gave the yellow card, it was a good decision from the referee on the field.

"[But] clearly the VAR should overturn the decision and should give the instruction for the referee to go to the screen, because it's a clear red card.

"I've seen many times this season, nine times out of ten it's been a red card, this afternoon it wasn't."

Matterface then brought up Silva's views to Pochettino, with the former Tottenham manager conceding Gusto was fortunate to stay on.

He remarked: "I accept the opinion and the view of Marco, yes for sure he's disappointed, maybe it should be red.

"But sometimes it happens [player escapes sending off], sometimes no.

"But I accept the opinion of Marco and can understand why he is disappointed with this situation."

Chelsea's victory has seen them rise to eighth in the Premier League table – ahead of Manchester United and Newcastle.

As for Fulham, they sit 13th – five points off the top ten.

https://talksport.com/football/1710667/

WhiteJC

Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino admits Malo Gusto's studs-up challenge on Willian was 'maybe' a red card - but insists the decision was 'difficult' for VAR after their win over Fulham

The Chelsea youngster avoided being sent off in win over Fulham on Saturday
    Malo Gusto recklessly clattered into Willian when the match was still goalless

Mauricio Pochettino admitted Chelsea youngster Malo Gusto was 'maybe' lucky to avoid being sent off against Fulham on Saturday after a reckless challenge.

Gusto went flying in on former Blues winger Willian when the match was still goalless and lunged in studs up on the Brazilian while also making contact with his shin.

Willian was left in agony as a result of the challenge and a red card would not have been out of place, but the 20-year-old escaped with just a yellow meaning he avoids a four-match ban.

Fulham manager Marco Silva felt aggrieved that Chelsea hadn't been reduced to 10-men before going on to score minutes later as Cole Palmer's penalty strike was enough to win the Premier League encounter.

Chelsea boss Pochettino didn't go as far as siding with Silva's point of view, but did admit there was a possibility Gusto could have been sent off for his dangerous tackle.   

Malo Gusto escaped with just a yellow card after this reckless challenge on Willian on Saturday

Mauricio Pochettino admitted Gusto was 'maybe' lucky to not be sent off against Fulham

A VAR check later looked whether Gusto's initial yellow card should have been changed to red

'It was a challenge, a difficult one for the referees and VAR. We've already suffered some sending offs for actions like this,' he told BBC Sport.

'I'm not going to say nothing, I accept and understand that it was maybe a red card. I don't want to say too much because I've not seen all the angles.

'That is football though, sometimes it is for you and sometimes it isn't,' he added.

VAR didn't overturn the initial yellow card shown to Gusto by referee Anthony Taylor and Pochettino further explained he would have felt annoyed if he was in the opposite dugout.

'Yellow card because it was a yellow card,' he said afterwards. 'Remember against Aston Villa it was a red card, I didn't complain about that. Today it was a yellow card.

'I have a very good relationship with (Marco Silva), he's a great person and coach. If I'm put in his place, I'm going to tell you it was a red card. I understand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12959699/Chelsea-Mauricio-Pochettino-Malo-Gusto-Willian-red-card-fulham.html

WhiteJC

Porto ready to challenge Fulham for Atletico Madrid defensive star
Premier League side Fulham are set to be tested in their attempts to sign Atletico Madrid defender Caglar Soyuncu.

The Turkish international has struggled to nail down a regular first team spot in Madrid following his free transfer move from Leicester City last summer.

Despite signing a contract until 2027, Atletico are rumoured to be ready to let Soyuncu leave in 2024, with a string of clubs interested in him.

Fulham and Serie A giants AS Roma have registered an interest in him, but Atletico are unwilling to sanction a loan move, unless it includes a summer purchase option.

That news is still being assessed by both clubs, as they track the transfer market this month, but Porto could also offer him a way out of the Spanish capital, as per A Bola.

UEFA rules mean Soyuncu would be eligible to play in the Champions League for Porto in 2024, if he is added to their squad, an offer Fulham and AS Roma are not able to make.

https://www.football-espana.net/2024/01/13/porto-challenge-fulham-atletico-madrid-defensive-star