https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Next 2 games

Started by StuinSalop, January 25, 2024, 02:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 26, 2024, 07:03:58 AM
Quote from: StuinSalop on January 25, 2024, 04:48:10 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 25, 2024, 03:21:46 PMNever heard such rot, shame on you all and your lack of understanding of association football and how to run a football team and motivate and understand the players desire, appetite and hunger.

We Field our strongest team v Newcastle, this FA Cup match is far far more important.
We only get one chance on the day.

Whereas there are 38 matches to play in the League, let those matches take care of that.

Even if we got relegated, it would be because we are not
good enough, despite having 38 chances to prove otherwise.

You only get one chance at a time in the Cup.

Even my pet Dung Beetle who is not interested any more in football thinks those who think differently don't deserve to support a team, any team, and i agree with him.

You are a fantasist if first of all you think we can win the fa cup with our squad. We did brilliantly in the league cup but repeating that will be a bridge too far. We need to secure our premier league future, then require a massive re-build in the summer and that's to remain competitive let alone continue to challenge in the  cup and leagues.

The Cottage will be like a home game for toon. With so many not attending.

Don't tell me I know nothing about football as back in my day I got paid for playing it and also have been a manager and coach.   You on the other has lived with the dinosaurs 😉

Hmmm and you live with the fairy's who talk and play like fairies.
How boring are you, do you actually go out after dark, stop soiling your nappy.
Players want the opportunity to try and win silverware, that's is why they are competitors because they wish to compete in a competition.
Otherwise if you deny them the chance why would a half decent player want to sign for a club who wrap their players and themselves up in cotton wool.
Who are frightened of playing their best team in a cup competition in case they feel too tired or might pick up a bruise on their little finger, and the last time they opened up the Trophy Cabinet a Sabre Tooth Tiger fell out.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

StuinSalop

Ok let's say we play our best 11 and lose 2-1 to Newcastle. Get a couple of injuries and knocks to key plays and have to play a weakened team v Everton and get beat again. That would look pretty silly no.

It matters not what I or you think, Marco will know better. Just giving you my view.  No need to get too wound up and start having go at each other.

Ruislip White

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 25, 2024, 03:21:46 PMNever heard such rot, shame on you all and your lack of understanding of association football and how to run a football team and motivate and understand the players desire, appetite and hunger.

We Field our strongest team v Newcastle, this FA Cup match is far far more important.
We only get one chance on the day.

Whereas there are 38 matches to play in the League, let those matches take care of that.

Even if we got relegated, it would be because we are not
good enough, despite having 38 chances to prove otherwise.

You only get one chance at a time in the Cup.

Even my pet Dung Beetle who is not interested any more in football thinks those who think differently don't deserve to support a team, any team, and i agree with him.

Have to agree.  This game means more.  We're not in a relegation battle and won't be fighting for Europe so the Everton game will probably influence where we finish between 17th - 9/10th.
We could get to Wembley or even win the cup, given how far we got in the carabao.

Sting of the North

Quote from: StuinSalop on January 26, 2024, 08:32:27 AMOk let's say we play our best 11 and lose 2-1 to Newcastle. Get a couple of injuries and knocks to key plays and have to play a weakened team v Everton and get beat again. That would look pretty silly no.

It matters not what I or you think, Marco will know better. Just giving you my view.  No need to get too wound up and start having go at each other.

Or we play our best 11, and beat Newcastle 3-0, and take the positive vibes to the Everton game and trash them 4-0. That would look kind of good, wouldn't it?

Or, we play a severely weakened team against Newcastle, lose 5-0, Palhinha gets injured in training and we lose to Everton as well. Would look kind of silly, wouldn't it?

I think Marco will do as he mostly does, and rotate a few of the players when games come thick and fast.

peachcobbler

Disagree with OP for all the previously mentioned issues, and also adding if you rest the first team then you are putting a majority of the players in a situation where they will have played one game of competitive football in 17 days going into Everton.

One of the worst takes I've ever heard.

filham

Just imagine a 4-0 win over Newcastle with a hat-trick for Jimenez what a confidence booster that would be, worth a goal start in the next three premier league matches.
Best possible team tomorrow night please with attack and goals in mind.

RaySmith

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 26, 2024, 08:50:52 AM
Quote from: StuinSalop on January 26, 2024, 08:32:27 AMOk let's say we play our best 11 and lose 2-1 to Newcastle. Get a couple of injuries and knocks to key plays and have to play a weakened team v Everton and get beat again. That would look pretty silly no.

Or we play our best 11, and beat Newcastle 3-0, and take the positive vibes to the Everton game and trash them 4-0. That would look kind of good, wouldn't it?

Or, we play a severely weakened team against Newcastle, lose 5-0, Palhinha gets injured in training and we lose to Everton as well. Would look kind of silly, wouldn't it?

I think Marco will do as he mostly does, and rotate a few of the players when games come thick and fast.

Yes, we should play our  strongest possible team for every game, and attempt to win them, with Marco  rotating according to  fatigue or injury, as he usually does, which makes sense - and we have the squad to do this, with good cover in most positions.

StuinSalop

Let's hope you are right. Speak again Sunday

StuinSalop

Quote from: RaySmith on January 26, 2024, 10:34:48 AM

Yes, we should play our  strongest possible team for every game, and attempt to win them, with Marco  rotating according to  fatigue or injury, as he usually does, which makes sense - and we have the squad to do this, with good cover in most positions.

Ah, that's the rub.  We just dont have cover in most positions.  Maybe Muniz comes good. Maybe Adama is fit, maybe Iwobi, Bassi and Toure leave the AFCON. Good rotation options currently very limited.

Twig

I would probably rest a couple of our veterans; TC and Willian but beyond that it's our strongest team as far as I'm concerned. And if either of TC and Willian persuade Silva they would be fine for both Newcastle and Everton then let them play too.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: StuinSalop on January 26, 2024, 12:26:41 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on January 26, 2024, 10:34:48 AM

Ah, that's the rub.  We just dont have cover in most positions.  Maybe Muniz comes good. Maybe Adama is fit, maybe Iwobi, Bassi and Toure leave the AFCON. Good rotation options currently very limited.

All the more reason why we should play our strongest available team v Newcastle to keep our season alive and ticking over.
Success breeds success and the adrenaline will add that extra mile to players who are motivated by the thought of victory.
Alway try and concentrate on the next game, which happens to be Newcastle, as the next game is the most important.
It is not surprising that players do not feel their knocks and strains as much when you are winning.
This can have and should have a domino effect on League games.
This mentality a winning mentality is so important as success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan.

Never forget your Roots.

WindyCity

"Why is the league more important?" some ask.

In my world, it is more important.  And I am surprised so many here think we are all but assured of staying up this season.  (I sure hope those folks are right!)  But there is still a lot of football to be played and I don't see staying up as a slam dunk.  This team struggles to find goals, and some of the bottom teams are starting to gain points.  This thing isn't done yet, and until mathematically we are assured, I remain in the camp that takes league play very seriously.

I am also in the camp that we play every game on the schedule, including Cup games, to win and with best players available.  Obviously MS has to make out the starting XI and gets paid the big bucks to do so, and he will make that call.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: WindyCity on January 26, 2024, 03:20:46 PM"Why is the league more important?" some ask.

In my world, it is more important.  And I am surprised so many here think we are all but assured of staying up this season.  (I sure hope those folks are right!)  But there is still a lot of football to be played and I don't see staying up as a slam dunk.  This team struggles to find goals, and some of the bottom teams are starting to gain points.  This thing isn't done yet, and until mathematically we are assured, I remain in the camp that takes league play very seriously.

I am also in the camp that we play every game on the schedule, including Cup games, to win and with best players available.  Obviously MS has to make out the starting XI and gets paid the big bucks to do so, and he will make that call.

Look no further than the next game.
So much can happen in the next game and the time between that game
and the one
after, whether it be League or cup.
Otherwise having one
eye on one game and the other
eye on another game, you end up falling between two stalls.
As both Mark Hughes and Rafael Bennitez to name just two and made the same mistake and found out at their cost.
There is more to life than the League whereupon we have 9 months to get our act together and stay there.
We are never going to win it, so the players will want to win something if we are to hang on to the key players, so the Cup is the
shortest way to glory and a day
out at Wembley in front of millions.
If i was a player or you were, we both would want to have a trophy to show what we have achieved, that is only natural.
The cup is on the day and the road to glory, whereas  the path to the summit of the League is treacherous.
Players do not want to retire trophy less.
The Cup is glory and every Fulham Supporter in their heart wants to taste it as it tastes sweet.
Sweet as a nut.

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

The league is down to pure skill over a period of time. Yes there is luck and injury problems that come into it. But over a season it is done to the team.

In the cup as we saw in the semi final. It is down to the luck of who you are drawn against. Will you be drawn against a lower league side. Will you be drawn at home. Nob body can seriously say we should concentrate on the cup games over the league as it the only way we can get an honour.

If we are drawn Liverpool and not a lower league team then it is likely all over. In the semi final of the league cup we had the hardest draw. No amount of hope or planning can change that. Same with the FA Cup. The cup is down to the luck of the draw amongst other things. The league and your place in it is down to the team.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

C Block

I hope and expect to see 5 changes from the Liverpool game and then all 5 to return for the Everton game,
Looking at our league fixtures the next three are massive (Everton,Burnley and Bournemouth) we could do with a minimum of 4 points there as the fixtures get a lot tougher after these,
I said before the game Wednesday night that if we were taking the Cups seriously we would have signed players by now and we haven't especially considering we knew that three would be away at AFCON,
The next round of the Cup is a midweek affair prior to the Brighton game, defeat tomorrow isn't the end of the world but I do wish Brighton all the best in their tie.

WindyCity

Woolly, thanks for the reply and I understand your position.  I have a different perspective on this topic.  And remember I have posted that FFC should try to win and field best available players for EVERY game on the schedule.

By your declaration of the importance of trophies, then over half the teams/players in any given season in the Premier League will go unfulfilled.  A Leicester City story rarely happens.  And those same top clubs will almost always figure in the Cup competitions.  I would opine that, for example, a finish in the top half as FFC achieved last season, would be FFC's "trophy", as it were.  And maybe this season taking 4 points from that lot up north might be a "trophy" of sorts.  Having a successful season in the EPL is something to be proud of and should satisfy many players.  After all, by some accounts, the EPL is the 'best' league, if not the toughest league, on the planet.  You hear all the time players from other continents would like to eventually make it over to the UK and the EPL.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not minimizing the importance and desire of winning silverware.  But in the EPL and its' balance of power, the haves and have nots, finishing top half, or maybe even creeping into 5-6-7, is a worthy goal and challenge and should satisfy players and fans alike and equate to "trophy" gathering.  JMHO

WindyCity

Woolly, not sure if you saw my take on the subject in above post #35.  It seems to me that teams like FFC the primary goal is, and should be, to reach the Prem, and stay in it for a decent period of time.
JMHO

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: WindyCity on January 27, 2024, 04:18:03 PMWoolly, not sure if you saw my take on the subject in above post #35.  It seems to me that teams like FFC the primary goal is, and should be, to reach the Prem, and stay in it for a decent period of time.
JMHO

Windy,

Yes i read your reply and i thank you for it.
Unfortunately i regret to inform you that it saddened me to read certain sections of it.

Never forget your Roots.

St Eve

WindyCity

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 27, 2024, 04:48:01 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on January 27, 2024, 04:18:03 PMWoolly, not sure if you saw my take on the subject in above post #35.  It seems to me that teams like FFC the primary goal is, and should be, to reach the Prem, and stay in it for a decent period of time.
JMHO
Windy,  Yes i read your reply and i thank you for it. Unfortunately i regret to inform you that it saddened me to read certain sections of it.

That's ok Woolly, that's what makes the world go 'round, differing perspectives.
Not sure, though, why it 'saddened' you.  Cheer up!
COYW tonight v Newcastle!!