watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Next 2 games

Started by StuinSalop, January 25, 2024, 02:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuinSalop

If I were Marco, I would play a 2nd string on Saturday. Everton is a much more important match and with the cottage half empty I would save players for next week.

Bench the following.  Cairney, Wilson, Raul, Robinson, Tosin, Willian, Palhinha

Bring in Reed, Ream, Lukic, Tete, Muniz and a couple of the under 23's

Buffalo76

Give Rodak a run out too. Save Leno 4 Tuesday night.

SP

I'm sorry to say I completely agree.

filham

Oh no Newcastle in the 4th round of the FA cup is a game to favour, could turn into match of the season if we field our strongest attacking line up. Just imagine an FA CUP run and us reaching Wembley, that would overshadow last night's defeat.

Woolly Mammoth

Never heard such rot, shame on you all and your lack of understanding of association football and how to run a football team and motivate and understand the players desire, appetite and hunger.

We Field our strongest team v Newcastle, this FA Cup match is far far more important.
We only get one chance on the day.

Whereas there are 38 matches to play in the League, let those matches take care of that.

Even if we got relegated, it would be because we are not
good enough, despite having 38 chances to prove otherwise.

You only get one chance at a time in the Cup.

Even my pet Dung Beetle who is not interested any more in football thinks those who think differently don't deserve to support a team, any team, and i agree with him.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WindyCity

I'm not so sure about laying down for the FA Cup tilt, but I do agree that the game following is the much more important. 

StuinSalop

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 25, 2024, 03:21:46 PMNever heard such rot, shame on you all and your lack of understanding of association football and how to run a football team and motivate and understand the players desire, appetite and hunger.

We Field our strongest team v Newcastle, this FA Cup match is far far more important.

Whereas there are 38 matches to play in the League, let those matches take care of that.

Even my pet Dung Beetle who is not interested any more in football thinks those who think differently don't deserve to support a team, any team, and i agree with him.

You are a fantasist if first of all you think we can win the fa cup with our squad. We did brilliantly in the league cup but repeating that will be a bridge too far. We need to secure our premier league future, then require a massive re-build in the summer and that's to remain competitive let alone continue to challenge in the  cup and leagues.

The Cottage will be like a home game for toon. With so many not attending.

Don't tell me I know nothing about football as back in my day I got paid for playing it and also have been a manager and coach.   You on the other has lived with the dinosaurs 😉

Finnans Right Peg

Dont think we need to make loads of changes but would rest Diop for Ream ,leave Willian on the bench and reed in for Cairney and possibly Rodak

Wingnut

Agree with the changes above and I'd also start with Vini in place of Jiménez.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Plodder

This business of "resting" players automatically assumes it will make them play better in the next game. It does not. For the Newcastle match, Silva and the management team just need to consider injuries and who on Saturday is still feeling too much fatigue after Wednesday, and then pick the strongest team available. After Saturday, repeat that process, and see who is fully fit and available for Everton.  Trying to pick and choose which games to win by making several team selections in advance does not work.

Lighthouse

I think the league is far more important than the cup. But we just haven't the squad to start resting players. Be great if we did. But who do we play up front. Does putting Rodak in goal make our number one a better keeper the game after? Putting Vinni anywhere near a starting place to me is fantastical.

With the squad and African Cup we are at the bare minimum and unless we start playing kids in the Cup. Then I am not sure a way around it. Needless to say having the busiest time of the season coincide with the Africa Cup just about explains why our game is run by idiots and non football people who no sod al about the game.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Angus Telford

Why is the league more important? With none of the current bottom three on course for more than 30 points, and the prospect of further points deductions for FFP breaches by Forest and Everton, pretty safe to say we're not going down. May as well prioritise the remaining cup we're in IMO.

SP

Quote from: Angus Telford on January 25, 2024, 08:10:21 PMWhy is the league more important? With none of the current bottom three on course for more than 30 points, and the prospect of further points deductions for FFP breaches by Forest and Everton, pretty safe to say we're not going down. May as well prioritise the remaining cup we're in IMO.

A valid point but the thought of Pickford & Tarkowski celebrating a vital win on our pitch turns my stomach.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 25, 2024, 03:21:46 PMNever heard such rot, shame on you all and your lack of understanding of association football and how to run a football team and motivate and understand the players desire, appetite and hunger.

I agree with Mammoth. We are in no real danger in the league and a good cup run will breed winning ways.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Lighthouse

Quote from: Angus Telford on January 25, 2024, 08:10:21 PMWhy is the league more important? With none of the current bottom three on course for more than 30 points, and the prospect of further points deductions for FFP breaches by Forest and Everton, pretty safe to say we're not going down. May as well prioritise the remaining cup we're in IMO.

But why are we pretty safe? Can the bottom three be guaranteed to only reach around 30 points. The computer age has a lot to answer for. Teams can find form and put wins together when not expected. I prefer to finals as high as we can then gamble of a lucky draw in the cup.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

blingo

So we can play twice a week in the championship, but with better players we can't?
Sorry but I'm 100% with the mammoth on this one.
Success breeds success and when you're winning you don't get tired and your confidence grows.
Where's your backbones??

Whitestone

The FA Cup is our best opportunity for a European tour next season. Let's go for it. The Whites are staying up so no need to worry about the Everton game until Tuesday.

S.F.Sorrow

I'm actually shocked to read this. Deliberately playing a weakened team in the FA cup would be a disgrace IMO. Everton has an important six-pointer against Luton on Saturday so it's not as if their players will have a weeks rest before we play them. We need to field our strongest team in both games. Anything else will be an insult to supporters, to the most famous cup in the world and to the spirit of the game.

C Block

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on January 26, 2024, 12:23:00 AMI'm actually shocked to read this. Deliberately playing a weakened team in the FA cup would be a disgrace IMO. Everton has an important six-pointer against Luton on Saturday so it's not as if their players will have a weeks rest before we play them. We need to field our strongest team in both games. Anything else will be an insult to supporters, to the most famous cup in the world and to the spirit of the game.
How is Everton v Luton a six pointer ?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: StuinSalop on January 25, 2024, 04:48:10 PM

You are a fantasist if first of all you think we can win the fa cup with our squad. We did brilliantly in the league cup but repeating that will be a bridge too far. We need to secure our premier league future, then require a massive re-build in the summer and that's to remain competitive let alone continue to challenge in the  cup and leagues.

The Cottage will be like a home game for toon. With so many not attending.

Don't tell me I know nothing about football as back in my day I got paid for playing it and also have been a manager and coach.   You on the other has lived with the dinosaurs 😉

Hmmm and you live with the fairy's who talk and play like fairies.
How boring are you, do you actually go out after dark.
Players want the opportunity to try and win silverware, that's is why they are competitors because they wish to compete in a competition.
Otherwise if you deny them the chance why would a half decent player want to sign for a club who wrap their players and themselves up in cotton wool.
Who are frightened of playing their best team in a cup competition in case they feel too tired or might pick up a bruise on their little finger, and the last time they opened up the Trophy Cabinet a Sabre Tooth Tiger fell out.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.