watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 27/01/24...

Started by WhiteJC, January 26, 2024, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham hoping to use 'bitter' feeling in FA Cup to motivate them in Newcastle United encounter
Newcastle United face a fired up Fulham side at Craven Cottage in the last 32 of the cup

Andreas Pereira has warned Newcastle United that Fulham's "bitter" FA Cup experience last season is fuelling the Cottagers in this year's competition.

Fulham were on course for the semi-finals last season before Marco Silva's men collapsed in the final 15 minutes after surrendering a 1-0 lead and having two players sent off to lose 3-1 at Old Trafford. In a week in which Silva told his Fulham players he was proud of their run to the Carabao Cup semi-finals, where they lost narrowly to Liverpool over two legs, the Brazil international is looking forward to the visit of Newcastle.

Pereira said ahead of Saturday night's clash: "We live for these kind of games. "Want to do it more and more and that's why I came to this club.

"Everyone is here to do the same thing and push Fulham to the limit. The gaffer told us he was proud of us that we came so far (in the Carabao Cup) and we were unlucky not to go all the way."

Reflecting on last season's FA Cup exit at Man United, Pereira feels that it will motivate his team-mates against Newcastle.

The Fulham star added: "We know how much of a bitter feeling it was in the cup last year. We now want to go far in that competition as well."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-hoping-use-bitter-feeling-28509744

WhiteJC

'Huge attacking talent' – Fulham in picture for youngster 'in demand', €3m valuation
Fulham are one of the clubs in the picture for Hannover 96's Nicolò Tresoldi, according to Bild.

The striker has clocked in 719 minutes from 14 league games, managing four goals and three assists in Germany's second division this season.

Even though his statistics aren't that impressive, Marco Silva's side are keeping close tabs on him.

The 19-year-old's deal lasts until 2026 and the report says his current valuation is €3m. They add the youngster is 'in demand' and name only Fulham and Inter Milan as interested parties.

Both the Premier League side and the Nerazzurri have been 'closely monitoring' the Italy-born Germany U21 international for a long time, and that's all the report has to say about these two clubs.

Hannover 96 will host 1. FC Nürnberg in the league later today and the fixture will see 'huge attacking talents' Tresoldi and Can Uzun lead their respective sides.

Last weekend, the teenager scored a brace in Hannover 96's 2-2 draw against Elversberg. Bild claim Tresoldi has 'promised' he would 'become even more stronger' after the tie.

"You are never at 100%. There's more and more going on, I'm only at 96%," he said.

This may be one Fulham will wait until the summer for, allowing Tresoldi to progress more.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/huge-attacking-talent-fulham-picture-youngster-demand-e3m-valuation/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney reveals Fulham 'dream scenario' as he bids for longer-term deal
Fulham captain speaks to Standard Sport about his plans for the future

Fulham captain Tom Cairney wants to further extend his new contract beyond 2025.

The 33-year-old signed a one-year extension earlier this month, but has now said that he would be open to staying at Craven Cottage past next summer.

Cairney, who signed for Fulham from Blackburn in June 2015 for £3million, also revealed that retiring at the club would be a "dream scenario".

Speaking exclusively to Standard Sport, he said: "I can picture myself going longer [than 2025]. In my head, that's how I feel. I feel good, feel fit. I'm 33 years young.

"Footballers play a lot longer now. I remember when 35 used to be the be all and end all. But now footballers look after themselves so well their whole career. Look at Thiago Silva — he's 39 and one of Chelsea's best players.

"Injury-free, I'll stay at Fulham longer."

Asked whether he hopes to retire as a Fulham player, Cairney replied: "Yeah. I did say during lockdown I want to play football until my legs fall off, because staying at home for three months was difficult.

"I feel like you're a long time retired, so I'll play football for as long as I can. But if we're talking dream scenarios: to stay at Fulham until the end."

Fulham are one of several Premier League teams yet to make any signings in a so-far quiet January transfer window.

Their only activity this month has been sending 18-year-old attacking midfielder Luke Harris on loan to Exeter City for the rest of the season.

A week before the transfer deadline, Cairney said: "With Financial Fair Play, I don't know what is going on. I'm sure if it's possible to bring players in, I'd imagine we would."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-fc-tom-cairney-contract-b1134983.html

WhiteJC

Howe eyes 'energetic performance' at Fulham
Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe wants to see a "very energetic performance" from his side when they take on Fulham in the Emirates FA Cup fourth round on Saturday night.

The Magpies head to Craven Cottage looking to progress in the competition, having already despatched local rivals Sunderland 3-0 in the third round earlier this month.

United will now travel to the capital to take on Marco Silva's men in what will be their first outing for two weeks, with the brief mid-season break from Premier League action having offered them some time to regroup.

They will have to face the Cottagers without the services of Joelinton, though, after the Brazilian international was ruled out until May after undergoing thigh surgery - but Howe revealed that Jacob Murphy was nearing a return to action after his own injury problems.

Here are some of the main talking points that were covered at Howe's pre-match media briefing on Friday morning:

On what he wants to see from his Newcastle side this weekend...

"We are hopeful you will see a very energetic performance, and a very technical one, because we have put a lot of work into that.

"We are determined to do well. I believe in this team."

On United's desire to progress in the FA Cup...

"It is a big moment in our season, as the Sunderland game was, and the lads really responded to that challenge. This is an important competition for us now, it takes on a new dynamic because of what's gone before.

"We are desperate to get our best form back - I think there was signs of that against Sunderland and Manchester City - so we'll take this game very seriously."

On the Magpies' injury and availability news...

"It's still a long injury list. Jacob Murphy has trained and he has looked good, so I'm pleased with his progress. That is a big positive.

"Apart from that, no-one else is there - they're all still working back to full fitness, but they are getting closer. The likes of Harvey (Barnes), Callum (Wilson) and Joe Willock are showing good signs."

On the break from action over the last fortnight...

"I think we've had some really good training. I've enjoyed seeing the players perform these last couple of weeks - I think it's been really healthy for us. They're in good spirits, despite a lot of off-the-field stuff, and we're very focused on the match."

On Silva's Fulham side...

"It's a tough game - you look at the game against Liverpool they had a coupel of days ago and that was a really good game, a high-quality game. I thought Fulham were close - they created a number of chances and I thought were pretty good in the game.

"Marco has done a brilliant job. I think they continue to improve and grow, which is always very difficult in the league that we're in, so we know it'll be a tough game."

On Joelinton, whose surgery was successful this week...

"It's a massive blow for us. We knew when he did the injury it wasn't good.

"It is a massive blow for us - he brings a different dynamic to our midfield. He will be a big miss, but we are going to have to do without."

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/howe-eyes-energetic-performance-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

AFCON 2023: We're ready for Indomitable Lions, says Iwobi
Fulham FC of England star, Alex Iwobi,one of the senior players in the Super Eagles at the ongoing Africa Cup of Nation in Cote d'Ivoire, said the team is focused and ready for the game against Cameroon.

The 27-year-old midfielder is having is third AFCON campaigns, having been part of the team in 2019 AFCON in Egypt, 2022 AFCON in Cameroon and 2023 AFCON in Cote d'Ivoire.

Iwobi and his teammates will have their hands full when they face their arch rivals Cameroon in the round of 16 clash on Saturday at the Stade Félix Houphouët Boigny stadium in Abidjan.

The clash will be a repeat of 2019 edition in Egypt when both sides met at the same stage of the competition.

Interestingly, Iwobi was on the scoresheet when Nigeria defeated Cameroon 3-2 in the encounter. Odion Ighalo scored brace to seal victory for Nigeria.

"I don't think we have to do anything differently, if you are winning 1-0, 2-0, it doesn't matter as long as you win your games. It's a knockout stage and as long as you win your game, defend well, create many chances, I'm sure we can put them away. We are very positive of getting a good result," Iwobi said.

Nigeria is having goal problem at AFCON, scoring two goals in three matches but the former Arsenal midfielder doesn't see the situation as something to worry about.

"I'm not concerned because we created many chances and kept clean sheet. We kept clean sheet and win our games. So, what's important is winning our matches," he said.

Nigeria defeated Guinea Bissau 1-0 in the last group A game on Monday courtesy  of an own goal and Iwobi said the team take positive side of the game to the next game.

"It's turn out to be a difficult game. It's another game with three points. It's another game with clean sheet. We take the positive to the next round," he added.

Iwobi started AFCON 2023 campaign from the bench as coach Jose Peseiro handed starting lineup to new entrant Alhassan Yusuf. But Iwobi got a chance to start in the second game against Cote d'Ivoire due to Yusuf's injury. However, Iwobi started from the bench in the last group A game against Guinea Bissau as Joe Aribo started in his place.

Reacting to the rotation in the team, the former Everton midfielder revealed that Coach Peseiro has told every member of the squad that they are all good to make the team.

Iwobi revealed: "He (Peseiro) told us to be ready and whoever is starting should have the mind set to be ready to come to the pitch.

"We have so many talented players and Nigeria is blessed with so many players. At the end of the day whoever is playing must be ready to put 100 percent performance."

Cote d'Ivoire  suffered a humiliating by 4-0 defeat to Equatorial Guinea on Monday and Iwobi is unconcerned about what happened to other team in the completion, rather focused on the task ahead of the team.

"We are focused on ourselves. Whoever win 4-0 or lose 4-0 is none of our concern as long as we get result and move on to the next round.

"It's unfortunate that the host nation got beaten that way and it is a message that if a host nation can be defeated in such manner, other nation should be ready for us as well."

Speaking on Super Eagles victory over Cote d'Ivoire, he said: "It was never easy and it was difficult. We had to defend to win our game. It is an honour to represent your country. And I am proud to represent my country. To play in the best competition with the best African team. We knew it was going to be difficult against the host team. It is my childhood dream to represent my country."

He added: "To defeat the host nation is an achievement on its own. There still more games to be played if we want to win the competition. We stay level headed and go again."

Iwobi said he received full support from Fulham to represent Nigeria at AFCON.

"Of course, representing your own nation is no mean achievement, the club do understand why we are here. I am supporting them and they are supporting me as well. We need to stay focused for the next game," he said.

Iwobi made his senior debut for the Super Eagles on 8 October after replacing Ahmed Musa in the 57th minute of a 2–0 friendly defeat to DR Congo in Visé, Belgium.

https://thenationonlineng.net/afcon-2023-were-ready-for-indomitable-lions-says-iwobi/

WhiteJC

Cairney: Retiring at Fulham would be a 'dream'
Tom Cairney has told the Evening Standard that he is targeting a longer-term contract at Craven Cottage – and that ending his playing career at Craven Cottage would be a 'dream scenario'.

The Scottish international signed a year's extension to his existing deal earlier this month, but believes he can follow in the footsteps of team mates Tim Ream and Willian in playing for Marco Silva's side well into his late thirties. The midfielder, now 33, has starred having returned to the Fulham starting line-up in November.

The Fulham captain said:

I can picture myself going longer [than 2025]. In my head, that's how I feel. I feel good, feel fit. I'm 33 years young. Footballers play a lot longer now. I remember when 35 used to be the be all and end all. But now footballers look after themselves so well their whole career. Look at Thiago Silva — he's 39 and one of Chelsea's best players. Injury-free, I'll stay at Fulham longer.

I did say during lockdown I want to play football until my legs fall off, because staying at home for three months was difficult. I feel like you're a long time retired, so I'll play football for as long as I can. But if we're talking dream scenarios: to stay at Fulham until the end."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/01/cairney-retiring-at-fulham-would-be-a-dream/

WhiteJC

Sources: Expected winner named in Everton and Fulham race to sign Luiz Henrique
Brazillian side Botafogo are set to beat Premier League duo Everton and Fulham to the signing of Real Betis star Luiz Henrique, sources have told Football Insider.

The 23-year-old is very highly-rated in Spain and has impressed for Betis – attracting interest from English sides.

But it is now Botafogo who are pushing ahead of Everton and Fulham and are set to reach a full agreement for Henrique.

Both English sides had shown an interest in the Brazillian this month as they looked to bolster their respective attacks.

A well-placed source has told Football Insider that Henrique is likely to join Botafago on a permanent deal before heading on loan to Ligue 1 side Lyon.

Both clubs, as well as Crystal Palace, are owned by American billionaire John Textor.

Henrique has managed one goal and three assists in 20 appearances across all competitions for Betis this term.

The winger only joined the Spanish side from boyhood club Fluminense in 2022 but is set to return to Brazil before next week's transfer deadline (1 February).

He has racked up 160 senior career appearances during his time in Spain and Brazil, notching 17 goals.

Everton are keen to add attacking reinforcements to stave off the threat of relegation following their 10-point deduction earlier this season.

Sean Dyche's side sit just one point above the bottom three after winning just one of their last five league games.

Meanwhile, Fulham sit 13th and have built an eight-point buffer to the relegation zone.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-expected-winner-named-in-everton-and-fulham-race-to-sign-luiz-henrique/

WhiteJC

Club 'gaining advantage' over Brentford, Fulham and Wolves in race for striker – Transfer is 'practically inevitable'
Brentford, Fulham and Wolverhampton Wanderers seem set to miss out on signing Petar Musa from Benfica.

Portuguese newspaper Record today writes that while the striker's departure from the Eagles is 'practically inevitable', he should be joining Lille in the coming days.

It's said the talks between Benfica and the French side are well underway, with the Ligue 1 club 'gaining advantage' in the competition against other clubs.

Brentford, Fulham and Wolves had all been linked to Musa in the past few days, as they were said to be looking for a centre-forward late in the transfer window.

The striker has six goals and two assists in 25 appearances for Benfica this season, but with the arrival of Marcos Leonardo from Santos, he's set to lose his place in the squad, with all parties agreeing that he should leave.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-gaining-advantage-brentford-fulham-wolves-race-striker-transfer-practically-inevitable/

WhiteJC

Newcastle Matchday Preview
Fulham v Newcastle United | Saturday 27th January | 7pm | Craven Cottage | #FULNEW

The opposition

To book their place in Round Four of the Emirates FA Cup, Newcastle had to overcome a fiercely anticipated local derby with Sunderland – the first meeting between the rivals in eight years. In the end, though, it was a routine win for the Magpies, who triumphed 3-0 at the Stadium of Light.
    That was a welcome result for Eddie Howe's men, as their only victory in their previous eight fixtures was against 10-man Fulham at St James' Park back in mid-December.
    By kick-off on Saturday, it will have been a fortnight since United were last in action, when they came close to a decent result against Manchester City at home, only to be undone late on by the Kevin De Bruyne-inspired champions.

Fulham team news

Nigeria and Senegal have both progressed to the AFCON Round of 16, meaning Alex Iwobi, Calvin Bassey and Fodé Ballo-Touré all remain absent, while Adama Traoré is injured.

Newcastle team news

The visitors will be without Callum Wilson, Joelinton, Harvey Barnes, Joe Willock, Nick Pope, Matt Targett and Elliot Anderson through injury, but Jacob Murphy could be in contention having returned to training. Sandro Tonali is serving a ban.

Tickets

Tickets are on General Sale from just £5 for Juniors and £10 for Young Adults, while Adult tickets are priced from £40.

Weather

A dry evening is forecast in SW6, with temperatures around six degrees at kick-off.

Player insight

Andreas Pereira wants to use Fulham's recent Carabao Cup run, and last season's FA Cup Quarter-Final defeat, as motivation in this year's competition.

"We live for these kinds of games, and that's what we want to do more and more," he told FFCtv. "That's why I came to this Club, and that's what everyone is here to do, to keep Fulham pushing the limits every time.

"We know last year how bitter a feeling it was, so for sure we want to go far in that competition. We have to bounce back in the next game, we have to look forward to it."

Coverage

The match will be broadcast live on ITV4 & ITVX, while FFCtv subscribers can listen to commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid.

Fulham Flutter

Win prizes while supporting the Foundation by playing the Fulham Flutter!

Early bird

Fans can take advantage of our early bird offers until 6.30pm! Full price reductions across all items can be viewed here.

Bag policy

Bags larger than A4 in size will not be permitted entry to the stadium. Please see our bag policy for full details, and information on our left luggage facility.

Form

Fulham: WWLLD

Newcastle: LLLWL

Top scorers

Fulham: Raúl Jiménez (5)

Newcastle: Alexander Isak (10)

Matchday programme

Since joining us from Flamengo back in August 2021, Brazilian forward Rodrigo Muniz has had hundreds of English lessons. Two and a half years on, his grasp of the language is such that he was comfortable sitting down for an in-depth interview recently for Saturday's matchday programme, without need for the presence of a translator.

"Yes, it's improved a lot," commented Rodrigo on his English language skills. "It's better than last season, and a lot better than when I arrived here. It's been hard work. In my first season, I was having five English classes per week. Now I have three with my English teacher, who helped me a lot. I feel a lot more confident with it now."

Elsewhere in Saturday's programme, we launch a new, regular feature called 'Starting Out' in which Fulham FC Academy players discuss their football journey from their formative years to the present day. The first player to feature is goalkeeper Alex Borto.

Priced at £3.50, you can pick up a copy of the programme on the day or online.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2024/january/26/newcastle-matchday-preview/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Silva throws support behind Leno
Fulham boss Marco Silva has defended goalkeeper Bernd Leno and insists the German goalkeeper should not be blamed for his side's Carabao Cup semi-final exit on Wednesday.

Fulham went out 3-2 on aggregate to Liverpool despite drawing 1-1 at Craven Cottage with Leno beaten at his near post by Luiz Diaz's shot that took a deflection after just 11 minutes to allow the Reds to seize control of the game.

Although Issa Diop's goal 15 minutes from time set up a dramatic finish, the Whites were unable to find a second goal to take the game to extra time and missed the chance to feature in a first domestic cup final since 1975.

But Silva, who has claimed Leno is the best signing he has ever made following his £3 million switch from Arsenal last season said the 31-year-old should not be held accountable.

"Bernd is the first one to know what he should do or not and when he is at his best level or not it's easy to criticise any player for a mistake," Silva said.

"What Bernd has been doing so far the season and the first leg at Anfield is a good example.

"When Liverpool scored to make it 2-1 he then kept us on the in the game and gave us a chance to decide the second leg at home at the Cottage.

"He's been brilliant for us and has been for most of the games. He's a top goalkeeper and a great professional.

"People can say what they want but I know he'll always be important for us and has performed since arriving."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-silva-throws-support-behind-leno

WhiteJC

Bayern Munich CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen in never say never mode for João Palhinha
Maybe next summer?

Bayern Munich CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen keeps his eye on the transfer market and has first hand knowledge of just how close that the Bavarians came to inking Fulham FC defensive midfielder João Palhinha last summer.

Earlier this month, there were additional rumors that Bayern Munich would take another run at the Portuguese star, but now it looks like is no longer a topic for the Bavarians. For Dreesen, though, you can never say never.

"Sometimes you see each other more than twice in life. You should never rule anything out," the CEO told Sky Sport journalist Kerry Hau (as captured by @iMiaSanMia).

Dreesen, however, did indicate a move for Palhinha this month is unlikely because the club has other needs.

"Our focus is currently on the right-back position," Dreesen remarked.

With Newcastle United's Kieran Trippier and Paris Saint-Germain's Nordi Mukiele as the rumored top targets for the Bavarians, it will be interesting to see if Bayern Munich can get a deal done.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2024/1/26/24045661/bayern-munich-ceo-jan-christian-dreesen-tuchel-joao-palhinha-kimmich-zubimendi-goretzka-pavlovic

WhiteJC

Pre-Newcastle Press Conference
Marco Silva knows Fulham need to quickly get over our Carabao Cup disappointment, if we're to flourish in our other domestic competition this season.

Less than 72 hours after Liverpool edged past us, we welcome Newcastle United to Craven Cottage in the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday night, and our Head Coach wants us to use what happened in the League Cup as fuel.

"Firstly, we have to use what we did in that competition as a motivation and something that we have to be proud of," he explained. "That is the first thing.

"Even if we didn't achieve the Final, it was a great, great run in that competition for us. Really tough games, starting last August against Tottenham, and ending against Liverpool in two legs.

"We were really competitive and the team to go to the Final was open until the last minute, and that is a sign of what we did there. That is the first thing that has to give us motivation and the confidence that we are in the right direction and we are giving our maximum to take the best from the players to be at that level.

"About the disappointment, of course it's a normal situation. But these are moments for us to show that it is already over. We understand why. We have to accept that Liverpool is in the Final, and we have to go again.

"If you want to have the chance to share these type of moments at the Cottage with our fans like we did last Wednesday, where the atmosphere was a great one, we have to go again and we have to fight for the next game with the same braveness, the same attitude, that we did last one.

"The day after, straightaway we started to prepare for Newcastle and, okay, the faces and the mood were not the best, but our obligation is to change quickly to the right mindset. We had good conversations with the players about it.

"When you arrive in these type of stages, if you don't achieve what you wanted and what was our ambition, of course it's always tough. But the best way for us to be again in this type of stage, is to do our job well in the FA Cup, and this is the reality.

"The season is far from over for us. We have so many games, so many things to fight for."

When asked by the media how nice it would be to have a budget the size of Newcastle's, Silva replied: "Okay, it's very good, but we have to be honest and fair with them as well – they had this chance, but they have been taking very good decisions, too.

"You can see the players they have been signing the last three, four windows, they made a huge impact in that squad. Some of them with a straight impact like Bruno [Guimaraes] and all those players, [Alexander] Isak as well, and [Anthony] Gordon, too.

"These type of players made a huge impact, a very good group of players with a great fanbase behind them every time. And, of course, when you have this type of support it's always a big help, but you have to do the right things, and they have been.

"Of course, the run [of form] is not the best for them. It has been tough for them the last four or five games in the Premier League, but you know they are Newcastle, they have enough quality to change it quick.

"They have had enough time to prepare this game, looking for all the details from the last games when they haven't achieved the good results, and we expect a really strong side."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2024/january/26/pre-newcastle-press-conference/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva admits Wednesday has taken so much out of Fulham pre Newcastle United – Physically and mentally
The Marco Silva Newcastle United Press Conference has taken place.

The Fulham boss speaking to the media on Friday afternoon.

Marco Silva admitting that missing out on Wembley against Liverpool on Wednesday in their League Cup semi-final second leg has taken a lot out of Fulham, mentally and physically.

Marco Silva asked what impact Wednesday night's League Cup semi-final knockout by Liverpool will have on this Newcastle United match in the FA Cup:

"It [Wednesday night defeat v Liverpool] took a lot out of ourselves.

"No doubt about it.

"If we'd had a different result, emotionally it would be different.

"Even if you have fatigue, when you have good results it can be behind you because emotion plays a big part.

"It took many things from us but that cannot be an excuse.

"We gave everything in the game.

Our mood wasn't the best [after losing on aggregate to Liverpool] but we have had good conversations with the players.

"The best way for us to be ourselves again is to go well in the Newcastle match.

"We are going to be ready for the game.

"We will go to play the game and give our maximum and being at the Cottage is important.

"We will do our maximum to be ready.

"We need to use what we did in that [League Cup] competition as a motivation and to be proud of it. Even if we did not reach the final, it was a great run for us.

"This needs to give us motivation and confidence that we are going in the right direction.

"We need to fight in this next game with the same braveness as we did in the last one.

"The best way for us to get ourselves into those stages [semi-finals] is to do well in the FA Cup. This is the reality, the season has too far to go to be over.

"We need to change the mindset and focus on the Newcastle match.

"The run [of Newcastle form] is not the best for them.

"In the Premier League, these types of things can happen.

"They have enough quality to change it quickly."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2024/01/marco-silva-admits-wednesday-has-taken-so-much-out-of-fulham-pre-newcastle-united-physically-and-mentally/

WhiteJC

Silva: 'Our season is far from over'
Marco Silva says his Fulham side have already moved on from the disappointment of Wednesday night's League Cup semi-final defeat by Liverpool – insisting the Whites have plenty to play for.

The Cottagers face Newcastle United at Craven Cottage tomorrow night and Silva told his pre-match press conference this afternoon that his players were 'motivated to go again'.

"If you want to have the chance to share these type of moments at the Cottage with our fans like we did last Wednesday, where the atmosphere was a great one, we have to go again and we have to fight for the next game with the same braveness, the same attitude, that we did last one.

The day after, straightaway we started to prepare for Newcastle and, okay, the faces and the mood were not the best, but our obligation is to change quickly to the right mindset. We had good conversations with the players about it. If you don't achieve won't you wanted, f course it's always tough. But the best way for us to be again in this type of stage, is to do our job well in the FA Cup, and this is the reality. The season is far from over for us. We have so many games, so many things to fight for."

Silva poured cold water on the idea that this might be a good time to play Newcastle, whose only victory in their last eight games was against Fulham at St. James' Park in December.

"It has been tough for them the last four or five games in the Premier League, but you know they are Newcastle, they have enough quality to change it quick. They have had enough time to prepare this game, looking for all the details from the last games when they haven't achieved the good results, and we expect a really strong side."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/01/silva-our-season-is-far-from-over/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Newcastle United injury news as 8 out and 6 doubts
Fuham may be out of the Carabao Cup but there's more knockout action on the way as Newcastle United visit Craven Cottage.

It's a quick turnaround for Fulham and Marco Silva this week with the Cottagers back in action again on Saturday evening as Newcastle United visit the banks of the Thames in the FA Cup fourth round.

The Portuguese boss is likely to make changes to his starting XI after players put in a big shift against Liverpool on Wednesday night while the Magpies have enjoyed a two-week break from action and will arrive in London refreshed.

Eddie Howe has had his own stresses during that time with key men linked with transfers away and the side he fields at Craven Cottage will no doubt turn heads. Here's the team news from both sides.

1. Matthew Max Dibley-Dias - DOUBT
Getting close to a return from a hamstring injury.

2. Adama Traore - DOUBT
Winger is meant to be close to a return from a hamstring injury but an appearance against Newcastle United would come as a surprise.

3. Alex Iwobi - OUT
On international duty with Nigeria at AFCON.

4. Fode Ballo-Toure - OUT
On international duty for Senegal at AFCON.

5. Calvin Bassey - OUT
On international duty for Nigeria at AFCON.

6. Jacob Murphy - DOUBT
Trained with the squad this week so in contention but Fulham could come too soon for a full return.

7. Harvey Barnes - DOUBT
Is 'close' to a return from a toe injury but Eddie Howe may not risk against Fulham.

8. Joe Willock - DOUBT
The second of three whose return Eddie Howe described as 'close'. Midfielder has had an Achilles injury.

9. Callum Wilson - DOUBT
Third and final Newcastle United star who is 'close' to a return. Striker did post a cryptic message on social media this week which may have suggested a return to action.

10. Nick Pope - OUT
Still sidelined with a a shoulder injury picked up against Manchester United in December.

11. Matt Targett - OUT
Not expected to return from a hamstring injury until late February.

12. Joelinton - OUT
Underwent surgery on his thigh this week and will miss the rest of the season.

13. Elliot Anderson - OUT
Young midfielder has a back injury.

14. Sandro Tonali - OUT
Suspended for gambling breaches.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-vs-newcastle-united-injury-news-as-8-out-and-6-doubts-4494911

WhiteJC

Fulham 28-year-old would be the perfect signing for Leeds United, his deal ends in the summer
It is no secret Leeds United need a right-back, a left-back and possibly even a centre-back before the January deadline – but the chances of landing three players in the next few days seems unlikely.

Luke Ayling and Djed Spence left the club at the start of the month, Charlie Cresswell might leave and Pascal Struijk remains injured. Junior Firpo and Sam Byram are options on the left, but both injury prone.

Leeds desperately need a new right-sided defender, especially with Archie Gray picking up an injury on Wednesday night. A left-back would allow Byram to be used as an option on the right of the defence.

A centre-back solves the lack of options in the middle – with Ethan Ampadu currently covering in the middle. Leeds are not going to get three in the door – but we can sign a player that can play all three.

Fulham can help with that. Kenny Tete is out of contract in the summer. The Evening Standard say that The Cottagers have the option to extend his deal by a year. But he is struggling to start every game.

Leeds should consider move for Fulham defender Kenny Tete
Timothy Castagne is first choice on the right, Antonee Robinson on the left – and Tim Ream and Calvin Bassey in the middle. Netherlands star Tete, 28, can play in all three. But, he is not starting right now.

He is out of contract in the summer and if Leeds did try to sign him, that extension will come into play. But given his lack of game time, surely he would be open to a loan move – where he will get game time.

Leeds need a player that can cover more than one defensive role. He could be available given his deal, and that he is struggling to start on a regular basis. Tete would be a superb signing, for his versatility.

https://www.leedsunited.news/transfers/fulham-28-year-old-would-be-the-perfect-signing-for-leeds-united-his-deal-ends-in-the-summer/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Newcastle United: Preview and Prediction

Coming off a heartbreaking EFL Cup semi-final exit, Fulham will be desperate to continue their FA Cup journey on Saturday afternoon when Newcastle United arrive at Craven Cottage in the fourth round.
Fulham's hopes of reaching a first-ever Carabao Cup final were killed by Liverpool at Craven Cottage. Trailing 2-1 from the first leg at Anfield a fortnight ago, the Cottagers were patently aware of the task that confronted them, and the task was made tougher when Luis Diaz made it 3-1 on aggregate after just 11 minutes.

Issa Diop managed to pull one back for the London side in the 76th minute before Harry Wilson inspired a late rally, but it was too little, too late.

Marco Silva's side will be hoping to put their agonising Carabao Cup semi-final exit behind them as they return to knockout action just three days after the draw with Liverpool.

The hosts' look too good to get dragged into the relegation dross, but if another knockout punch is dealt at Craven Cottage, the second half of the season will be very dreary and mediocre.

The same goes for Newcastle, who are looking to end a long wait for major silverware dating back to the 1960s. After knocking out both Manchester teams in the early rounds, the Magpies appeared to be on track for a repeat of their Carabao Cup final appearance last season.

They also led Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the latter minutes of their quarter-final, only for a defensive lapse to allow the Blues to draw before Mauricio Pochettino's side prevailed on penalties. With a top-four berth fairly out of sight for now, the FA Cup now represents the best chance to keep their season breathing life.

They knocked out local rivals Sunderland in the FA Cup final, and only another late goal prevented them from defeating Premier League winners Manchester City prior to their winter break.

Team News and Tactics
Fulham
Fode Ballo-Toure, Calvin Bassey, and Alex Iwobi are unavailable due to Africa Cup of Nations duty, as both Senegal and Nigeria have progressed to the knockout rounds. This game will also come too soon for Adama Traore, who is nursing a thigh injury.

Fatigue is the main concern for Marco Silva, given the quick turnaround from their last game. This could see the likes of midfielder Harrison Reed, winger Harry Wilson, and right-back Kenny Tete drafted back into the XI after the trio started on the bench in midweek.

Marek Rodak started in between the sticks in the third-round victory over Rotherham, so he should get the nod ahead of first-choice keeper Bernd Leno. He will be guarded by a central defence of Issa Diop and Tim Ream, with Antonee Robinson marauding the left flank.

Andreas Pereira will be holding the playmaking duties in the final third and will be flanked by Bobby De Cordova-Reid and an inspired Wilson, with hit-or-miss Raul Jimenez spearheading the attack.

Probable Lineup (4-2-3-1): Rodak; Tete, Diop, Ream, Robinson; Reed, Palhinha; Wilson, Pereira, Decordova-Reid; Jimenez

Newcastle United
arvey Barnes and Joe Willock are accelerating their recovery to give Newcastle United a much-needed boost. Barnes has not played for Newcastle since suffering a freak foot injury in the 8-0 demolition of Sheffield United back in September, while Willock has been sidelined with a recurrence of an achilles issue for two-and-a-half months now.

Eddie Howe still has a host of players unavailable, though. Joelinton, Nick Pope. Joelinton is most probably out for the season after the midfielder underwent surgery on a thigh injury, while Nick Pope (shoulder), Elliot Anderson (back), Joe Willock (calf), Harvey Barnes (foot), Matt Targett (thigh), and Jacob Murphy (shoulder) are all in the treatment room. Sandro Tonali remains suspended, while Callum Wilson faces a late fitness test.

Kieran Trippier should be available to lead the Magpies out as captain at Craven Cottage after Bayern Munich quashed their interest in the full-back. Tino Livramento should be the man on the opposite flank after returning from the illness that kept him out of the loss to Manchester City.

Martin Dubravka will continue to deputise in goal in the injury absence of Pope, with Fabian and Sven Botman protecting the Slovak shot-stopper in central defence. Young Lewis Miley will be given the nod once again, alongside mainstays Bruno Guimaraes and Sean Longstaff.

Anthony Gordon looks primed to keep his place on the left flank, with Miguel Almiron functioning from the opposite wing. Alexander Isak is in great form for Newcastle, netting five times in his last four matches, and should lead the line again.

Probable Lineup (4-3-3): Dubravka; Trippier, Schar, Botman, Livramento; Longstaff, Guimaraes, Miley; Almiron, Isak, Gordon

Key Stats

Newcastle have won their last four matches against Fulham in all competitions.
    The Magpies' have kept a clean sheet in five of their last seven matches against Fulham in all competitions.
    Fulham have lost all four of their FA Cup draws against Newcastle, coming between 1908 and 1961, with the Toon netting at least four times in all of them.
    Newcastle have only won two of their last 10 games in all competitions (L8).
    Harry Wilson is the Cottagers' second-most-fouled player, winning 1.4 per game on average in the Premier League.

Player to Watch
Harry Wilson
Harry Wilson made a big impact off the bench for Fulham in midweek, setting up the equaliser before coming close to finding the back of the net himself, which would have levelled the semi-final on aggregate. The Welsh winger has done enough to merit a start here and will look to give the Cottagers an outlet on the right flank.

Prediction
Fulham 1-2 Newcastle United

Newcastle haven't played for two weeks, and that break will have been a blessing for Eddie Howe's knackered troops after a demanding run of games with a stretched squad, and the visitors' will come into this one fresh, focused, and ready to hit back. Fulham had to dig deep in midweek against Liverpool, so the Magpies should be the favourites to eventually come out on top.

https://thehardtackle.com/round-up/2024/01/27/fulham-vs-newcastle-united-preview-probable-lineups-prediction-tactics-team-news-key-stats-2/

WhiteJC

Fulham (A) Pre-match thoughts, team news, possible line-ups & prediction
For all the talk of FFP, potential outgoings and ongoing talk of who could sign, I'm excited for our trip to Fulham this weekend.

It's been a long old two weeks without football and (hopefully) the break we needed to allow the players to recuperate, reset and go again ahead of a crucial few months of our season.

We showed flashes of brilliance against Man City but ultimately still looked a little leggy. After a winter break and return to normal training over the past week, I'm hopeful we'll be back to our best soon and also welcoming back a few key players.

We'll be fully focused on Fulham and the FA Cup. Exiting Europe and the Carabao Cup in heartbreaking fashion was a bitter pill to swallow last month and our Premier League form has taken a dip. What happens in the final few days of the January window is anyone's guess and it's been a huge blow to lose Joelinton until May, but this is a big chance to kick-start our season heading into a run of winnable fixtures in the league.

Speaking ahead of the game, Howe said – "It is a big moment in our season as the Sunderland game was, this is an important competition for us now, a new dynamic because of what's gone before. We are desperate to get our best form back and progress.

"I hope, from what I've seen in training, that you will see a very energetic performance, and a very technical one because we have put a lot of work into that. We are determined to do well. I believe in this team."

Team news
Harvey Barnes, Callum Wilson and Joe Willock are getting closer and "showing good signs", but the game will come too soon for them, along with Elliot Anderson, Nick Pope, Matt Targett and the suspended Sandro Tonali.

Predicted XI: Dubravka – Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn – Longstaff, Bruno, Miley – Almiron, Isak, Gordon.

No real surprises and the same back four Howe has gone with in our opening two games of 2024. Trippier is clearly going nowhere and the front six picks itself based on injury issues. Murphy could become an option soon and has trained well, according to Howe, but we're likely to see him come off the bench, at best, on Saturday.

Prediction: Fulham 1-3 Newcastle
I fancy us to get the job done here. While we've been able to take some much-needed time off and return to a normal training routine, the hosts have had to play a two-legged semi final against Liverpool over the past fortnight.

Fulham are a decent side and tricky customers at Craven Cottage. Mix that with our recent away form and it's a tough tie that won't be plain sailing, I just back us to remind those wondering if our 'season is over' just how good we are with a big win.

HOWAY THE LADS!

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2024/01/26/fulham-a-pre-match-thoughts-team-news-possible-line-ups-prediction-2/?utm_content=cmp-true

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Silva considering Francois loan move
Marco Silva admits Fulham midfielder Tyrese Francois needs to get more playing time – but the Whites boss is undecided about whether to loan him out before next week's deadline.

The 23-year-old Australian has only made two brief substitute appearances this season and last year saw a 12-month loan stint with Croatian side HNK Gorica cut short by injury.

Fulham have allowed Jay Stansfield and Luke Harris to join Birmingham and Exeter respectively on loan and several of the Under-21 squad are spending time with clubs in League One and League Two.

Silva says Francois might be allowed to leave next week if the circumstances are right for the club.

"We haven't decided yet, we have one more week to do it," Silva explained.

"Some players have gone on loan because we need them play more games. Luke Stansfield is a good example of that.

"With Ty and some others we have to decide because our squad is very short on numbers.

"But because we are doing the right things and taking care of the players we are in a position where we don't have many injuries right now. But we have to be ready if we do."

"Ty needs to play games, we tried last season for him to be out but unfortunately he got some bad injuries. Unfortunately injuries have broken his momentum as well.

"Let's see what happens, if he doesn't go on loan he will stay here for the rest of the season."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-silva-ponders-midfielder-loan-move

WhiteJC

Double Newcastle United fitness boost confirmed v Fulham as £83m trio ruled out
Newcastle United injuries: Eddie Howe has issued updates on Harvey Barnes, Joe Willock, Callum Wilson and Jacob Murphy ahead of the FA Cup match at Fulham.

Newcastle United head to Fulham in the FA Cup fourth round this Saturday (7pm kick-off) with a slightly bolstered squad.

The Magpies are set to welcome Tino Livramento back after the right-back missed the previous match against Manchester City due to illness. The 21-year-old has been in full training this week in the build-up to Saturday's match at Craven Cottage.

Another player who has stepped up to full training is Jacob Murphy. The winger hasn't featured for Newcastle since dislocating his shoulder in November, an injury that required surgery.

"It's still a long injury list," Howe admitted. "Jacob Murphy has trained and has looked good. I'm pleased with his progress so that is a big positive."

Howe previously estimated that Callum Wilson would be back available by the end of January while the likes of Harvey Barnes and Joe Willock were making good progress after lengthy spells on the sidelines. But the Newcastle head coach revealed that they were not in contention for Saturday's match.

"Apart from [Murphy], no one else is there, they're all still working back to full fitness but they are getting closer," Howe added. "The likes of Harvey, Callum, Joe Willock, they're showing good signs.

"No [they won't play on Saturday]."

After Fulham, Newcastle return to Premier League action away to Aston Villa on Tuesday night (8:45pm kick-off). When asked if the aforementioned players could be back involved at Villa Park, Howe simply added: "Let's wait and see."

Newcastle have had a lengthy injury list over the past couple of months which has rarely shown any signs of easing.

Elsewhere in the squad, Joelinton has been ruled out until the end of the season following thigh surgery earlier this week while Nick Pope is set to be out until mid-Spring with a dislocated shoulder. Elliot Anderson is still over a month away from returning while Matt Targett is back on the grass after hamstring surgery.

"He's working his way back to fitness," Howe told The Gazette. "He's on the grass, he's running, he's not training with us yet, he's not sprinting so he's still at 60,70% running speed so he's still got a bit to go."

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/double-newcastle-united-fitness-boost-confirmed-v-fulham-as-ps83m-trio-ruled-out-4494067