more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 30/01/24...

Started by WhiteJC, January 29, 2024, 11:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'Nothing compares to seeing the Cottage'
Saturday was a strange day. Thousands of Fulham fans decided not to go and do the thing they love – supporting the side – out of frustration at the club's crazy ticketing policy. We then watched as the fanbase was gaslit on national television, with Fulham insisting that £40 for a televised game on a Saturday night was 'not excessive' and then used the recent run of home fixtures to justify an apparent attendance of under 19,000, which was inflated by the giving away of thousands of tickets. Shades of when Mohamed Al-Fayed's 'very expensive consultants' told us the future was at Loftus Road, White City and somewhere else rather than at the Cottage.

A few years ago, when I merely read the Fulham blogosphere rather than contributing to it, I really enjoyed The Craven Corner. It seems as if the latest ticketing debacle has inspired Ad out of retirement as he has written a passionate piece on why Fulham's board have got it badly wrong. It is well worth a read on this grey Monday morning.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/01/nothing-compares-to-seeing-the-cottage/

WhiteJC

Football is nothing without fans..
Sometimes the 140 or 280 character limit on Twitter just isn't enough to talk about Fulham Football Club...

So make sure you have a fresh cup of coffee to hand (biscuits optional) and let's get into it.

Last summer, the fear of FFP and Mitro's departure...
After the highs of last season, it's quite a surprise to think that there is a general feeling of unrest amongst the fan base. Especially, when everything felt so different less than twelve months ago. So how did we get here?

Well, I'm sure you've all seen the news in the last few months around PSR, FFP and club sustainability – with Everton being docked 10 points being the main headline.

This resulted in shockwaves being sent through many other Premier League clubs, including Fulham.

Obeying the rules of PSR & FFP isn't a new challenge but one that has reared it's ugly head more so than ever before. After one club's accounts gets punished, the stage is set and more clubs are put under the microscope.

After Everton's punishment, it emerged that the Toffees breached the rules again, but this time they were not alone as Nottingham Forest were also found guilty of a similar breach.

I won't dwell on the financial details and how that operates though, so I'll leave that to Pete Rutzler and his terrific article on The Athletic, which takes a deeper look at how Fulham escaped punishment.

In short, The Athletic covers a few key points:

Fulham sailed incredibly close to the boundaries of FFP
    With Fulham being in the Championship + Premier League during the current account period, the amount we can afford to lose is much lower than other clubs around us like Crystal Palace – who have been in the PL throughout that time period.
    Last, but not least – "...the sale of Aleksandar Mitrovic, for £45m, was finalised after this accounting period (ending June 30, 2023) and will only count on next year's books."

This makes for interesting reading.

Due to our stint in the Championship during this period, our losses could not exceed £83m compared to those that had been in the Premier League for same accounting period, who could lose up to £105m for the same time frame. That may not sound like a lot – but when you are competing with clubs around you, you are already playing catchup, as well as being under tighter scrutiny as other clubs can afford to lose £22m more than you.

Lastly on this point, Fulham's squad was looking incredibly thin when last season concluded, without the departure of Mitrovic. So any funds for that previous accounting period, had to go towards filling other positions and upon reflection (player by player) the arrivals have been good – although, Adama Traore is probably the exception given his absence.

I also get the impression that the club were hoping the Mitrovic deal would have been completed sooner, and not dragged out so that a replacement potentially could have been found with that money during that window.

Unfortunately, the reality of it was that the deal took a number of weeks as Fulham held firm over their valuation despite his wishes to leave.

If I try to be optimistic around it – it does mean a new accounting period + the Mitrovic money should become available in the summer if we secure our Premier League status for another season. If that is the case, we have the owners in place that do have the financial muscle to complete the much needed rebuild that Marco Silva's squad needs – especially for a few younger faces in numerous positions. If that doesn't happen, then I think bigger questions could be asked.

But let's get into the main topic of why I decided to blow the dust off this blog one more time.

Football is a rich man's game, but it doesn't have to be for fans...
For those that haven't followed, over the last 12 months or so, the club have started to price the fans out of the game and it simply has to stop.

Yes, we can try to blame inflation, the cost of living crisis and quite frankly, the disturbing numbers that it takes to run a football club – but without fans, we don't have football as we know it.

It may be possible to sell some tickets for higher prices, but it comes with a trade off. A stadium full of tourists may sell tickets when you are playing the bigger teams, but the same tourists aren't the people that will travel across the country, through thick and thin, regardless of the opponent or fixture importance.

It's more than just a game or an afternoon's entertainment. It's the endless singing and support, the feeling of community and belonging, the hope and dreams of seeing your team on a cup run or forming their own underdog story. It's bringing your friends or family to the game with you, or trying to persuade the next generation to follow in your footsteps as a Fulham fan.

If your pricing strategy prevents that and focuses on short-term tourists and holiday makers, then you lose that long-term growth and atmosphere that a sold out Craven Cottage can provide.

While it's down to the playing staff to do the business on the pitch. A sold out home crowd can be the difference between winning and losing a game, and with that comes better revenue generated from league positions or entering new competitions.

When that happens, it doesn't matter if you are playing 2-3 times a week, the crowd keeps coming, and the tickets remain sold as fans are absorbed about the journey their beloved club is undertaking.

I may be bias, but our club and stadium is something special.

It's the perfect mix of the game that we all know and love today, and the stories that our parents, grandparents all fell in love with all those years ago.

Nothing can compare to seeing the Cottage in the corner, the wooden seats, the view of the Thames and how close you are to the action. Combine that with the new Riverside stand and very few clubs can offer a comparable matchday experience for fans and their players.

For some players, it's that exact experience that keeps them at the club for so long or is the reason that they join the club in the first place over anyone else. Tom Cairney and Joao Palhinha spring to mind.

That may not be the case for every pro footballer, and I'm sure everyone has their price. But, even at the end of the spectrum where footballers are getting blank cheques in Saudi Arabia – some of the big names already want to leave after six months because playing in front of stadiums with empty seats and no atmosphere isn't motivational or exciting.

You could say I'm being dramatic or over exaggerating, but fans are already choosing to vote with their feet and not stomach the extortionate prices that are being asked.

Price them out, and suddenly the stands become quieter and the players lose that connection with the club too. If that happens, what do we have left?

To be clear, I'm not expecting every game to be sold out, it just doesn't happen given how crazy the fixture lists can get.

Our cup game against Newcastle is the prime example for this.

Without the greedy prices, there were already challenges to overcome with getting the fans to attend:

Friday night football
    Televised on mainstream TV – ITV
    The 3rd of 4 home fixtures in January

So to charge £40 for an adult ticket, the most expensive ticket price for all the games in that round of the cup, is pure greed.

Even though I try my hardest to see both sides of an argument, I really can't defend the strategy here.

Yes, you could argue that it raises the revenue of the football club. But the damage it does to the fanbase and those that are a part of the club are worth more than that.

Some quick maths will show:

19,000 (Newcastle attendance) x £40 a ticket = £760,000*

25,700 (Full capacity) x £20 a ticket = £514,000*

*Pie in the sky figures, but hopefully you catch my drift

Yes, the higher pricing strategy works if your sole goal is to increase match day revenues, but business isn't that simple or linear.

Sometimes it's worth taking a hit on the figures if you are building a more sustainable future and bringing more people to Fulham Football Club.

As I mentioned earlier, football is a generation game, your love for a club is generally passed down by loved ones but if you are no longer able to afford watching your club, then some people turn to alternative avenues and slowly Fulham isn't the priority anymore.

In the past, when prices have been more reasonable I've taken many friends, family and loved ones to Craven Cottage – heck, I even managed to get a group of us to go to our home loss to Sheffield United in the cup all those years ago. My friends haven't let me live it down, but despite the result, have come back to Craven Cottage a number times since.

If you replace the Fulham fans with 'wealthy tourists' – you lose more than just a few fans. You lose the network of people that fans bring to games, reducing the number of potential long-term fans that could become a part of the community today, tomorrow and much further in the future.

It'd be like creating a website that works really well, but instead of focusing on the product, you chase ad revenue instead. Therefore you chase the money, sell more ad-space on your website, and as a result the experience changes for the worse. In the short-term the revenue is higher, but in the long-term your customers go elsewhere and it becomes very hard to bring them back once they've been pushed out.

Fan loyalty isn't a myth, it's a real thing and needed by every club in the football leagues. So when you have a dedicated group of fans, they have to be a top priority when you think about long-term growth of the club. Even more so, when you are competing in London with so many other clubs a few train stations away.

If you need another example of how important fans are, just look at Bradford City – they've been through multiple administrations and failed strategies, yet they still get over 15,000 fans in League Two. That club is proof that fan support isn't a temporary thing. They've stuck by their club through some of the hardest times in football and despite being 18th in League Two are there every week trying to drive their club forward.

Maybe the tourist pricing is something the club could offer in the future, for a sub-section of seats in the new stand once it's complete. But, in no case should our fans be replaced. We're meant to be a family club, and that should remain at our core and should be thought about more given the situation.

As for a solution, I don't have an immediate one but it's clear that club and fans need to be reunited once more if we truly want to move forward.

If that means that more of us have to speak up about the pricing situation then we simply have to. If that means more organised protests, letters and whatever is possible it has to happen. It shouldn't and doesn't have to be handled this way, but the club also has to be more active in discussing options and finding the right solution for all.

Both club and fanbases require each other to have a great relationship. Without the fans, you don't have a football club – just an expensive athletic event without any sense of meaning or belonging.

I could go on and on about this, so if you've got this far and want to discuss it further, reach out – I'd love to hear from you!

On a personal note, to anyone that has taken the time to read this – I appreciate your time, and I hope it's been an enjoyable read.

Want to get in touch? I'm always interested in talking about everything Fulham – so tweet me at @ABronsSmith.

https://thecravencorner.wordpress.com/2024/01/29/football-is-nothing-without-fans/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Everton team news: seven players out and three more doubtful for Premier League clash - gallery
Everton and Fulham injury news ahead of the Craven Cottage fixture.

Everton's focus turns back to their Premier League relegation battle when they make the trip to Fulham on Tuesday (19.45 GMT).

The Toffees exited the FA Cup after suffering a 2-1 loss at the hands of Luton Town last weekend. Sean Dyche's side were well below their best throughout the encounter and a 96th-minute Cauley Woodrow goal sent Everton out of the historic competition.

Regardless, staying in the Premier League is the Blues' chief aim this season and that's now where their full focus will be. Everton feel they shouldn't be in a scrap at the foot of the table whatsoever, yet a 10-point deduction for breaching Premier League financial rules means they're just one place and one point above the drop zone.

Dyche's side have not won in their previous four top-flight fixtures - and proven triumphant in just one of their past eight matches in all competitions - and must get back to the form that means they should sit 12th in the table.

Fulham also went out of the FA Cup after a 2-0 reverse against Newcastle and have been victorious in only one of their past five league games. Ahead of the Craven Cottage encounter, here's a look at the early team news for both sides.

1. Fulham vs Everton team news.

2. Adama Traore - out
The winger has played just five times since signing for Fulham from Wolves. He has a hamstring issue.

3. Alex Iwobi - out
Representing Nigeria at AFCON so won't face his former side.

4. Calvin Bassey - out
The defender is also at AFCON with Nigeria.

5. Fode Ballo-Toure - out
The AC Milan loanee is at AFCON with Senegal.

6. Dele - out
The midfielder is still to play for Everton this season. Dele was recently to have further surgery on a groin issue.

7. Abdoulaye Doucoure - out
The midfielder has hamstring injury and Dyche has already ruled him out of Everton's two games this week.

8. Idrissa Gana Gueye - out
The midfielder is on AFCON duty with Senegal.

9. Andre Gomes - out
The midfielder has a calf injury, having missed four months of the season with a similar issue.

10. Seamus Coleman - doubt
The Everton captain has a niggling hamstring issue that's resulted in him missing the past three games.

11. Amadou Onana - minor doubt
The Belgium international suffered a knock against Luton but Dyche wasn't overly concerned.

https://www.liverpoolworld.uk/sport/football/everton/fulham-vs-everton-team-news-seven-players-out-and-three-more-doubtful-4495922

WhiteJC

Fulham unlikely to let Rodrigo Muniz leave during January transfer window
Striker attracting interest from Europe and Brazil

Rodrigo Muniz would prefer to stay in Europe if he leaves on loan this week, but Fulham are now unlikely to sanction his exit.

Muniz started the season as Fulham's third-choice striker, but he has since moved ahead of fellow Brazilian Carlos Vinicius to become Raul Jimenez's main understudy.

He has made 16 appearances for the Cottagers this season, featuring in four of their last five league games.

Muniz had wanted to make a loan move this month in order to get more game time, but he favoured staying in Europe despite offers from at least two clubs back in Brazil.

In recent weeks, there has also been European interest in Muniz, but Fulham are reluctant to let him go, with Marco Silva increasingly turning to him off the bench.

The 22-year-old signed for Fulham from Flamengo in August 2021 and spent last season on loan with Middlesbrough in the Championship, scoring twice in 18 matches.

His only goal for Fulham this season came in November's 3-1 Carabao Cup victory over Ipswich Town.

Fulham are yet to make any signings in the January transfer window, while their only departure has seen highly rated 18-year-old midfielder Luke Harris join Exeter City on a six-month loan.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-fc-transfer-news-today-muniz-b1135402.html

WhiteJC

Fulham Transfer Rumour Round-Up: Bennacer, O'Riley, Braithwaite

We know the Khans and their recruitment team act late on, and as the countdown to Deadline Day is in singular numbers, we'll just have to wait and see, like the obedient 'customers' we are. We doubt much – if anything – will happen at all but here's Cam's penultimate January transfer rumour round-up, a month-long period which has been ridiculously boring to say the very least.

Ismael Bennacer – AC Milan

Disclosed by the Daily Mail, Fulham allegedly sent scouts to watch AC Milan's Ismael Bennacer at the Africa Cup of Nations as his country, Algeria, played out a 1-1 draw with Angola in their opening game. Having recovered from a nasty knee injury, the 26-year-old has five league appearances for Milan this season and there's signs he's returning to his best for both club and indeed the Fennec Foxes.

A holding midfielder by trade, Bennacer is a tireless warden both on and off the ball and as he's chasing a Scudetto with Il Rossonero, as well as competing in the Champions League, the Whites have a seismic challenge on their hands if they're to lure the former Empoli man to Stevenage Road. He was also voted the Player of the Tournament at the previous AFCON tournament, so he is most definitely a player of esteem and prestige and he will not come cheap.

Aaron Ciammaglichella – Torino

Try saying this kid's name after a few swifties. Well-known Italian outlet Tuttosport understand that while Fulham are watching Torino starlet Aaron Ciammaglichella closely, the 18-year-old midfielder is going nowhere because the Turin-based side claim he is "untouchable". Ciammaglichella's contract expires in 2025, he is yet to make a senior appearance for Torino but he has been called-up to Ivan Juric's first-team training sessions, so it surely won't be long until he introduces himself properly to the Serie A stage.

Recognising the Italy U19 international's burgeoning talent, Il Toro's youth team manager Ruggero Ludergnani is hoping to renew the youngster's deal and as the player and his representatives hold a good relationship with the club, it's expected he'll remain The Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino to further his development as one of the country's top prospects.

Matt O'Riley – Celtic

Always with an ear to the ground, HITC Football are under the impression that Crystal Palace, Everton, Brighton and Hove Albion, Brentford, West Ham United, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham will spar it out for Celtic's Matt O'Riley, who we know all too well in SW6. There evidently isn't a shortage of Premier League interest in the Denmark international and as he's tried and tested in Europe, it's thought there's plenty of continental suitors, too

OGC Nice, Lille, Napoli, Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid and La Liga leaders Girona are also said to be admirers of O'Riley, and the noise surrounding the 23-year-old is fully merited. His goal contributions for Celtic are excellent, he's netted 10 goals and supplied 12 for Brendan Rogers' side in all competitions so far and he is primed to broaden those statistics by a distance. Scott Parker has blood on his hands. In today's market, he's got to be worth at least £30m and if the funds were readily available, I'd pay way over the odds to bring him back to the Cottage.

Jhon Cordoba – Krasnodar

A report published by the Evening Standard suggests that Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace Everton and Fulham are mulling over the possibility of loaning in Krasnodar striker Jhon Cordoba. It's expected that if an agreement was to be met, a £7m option to buy clause would also be included in the small print and while the Russian top-flight isn't the most taxing division in existence, Cordoba's undeniably been in fine form in front of the target.

The 30-year-old Colombian has bagged 11 goals in 20 outings for Krasnodar this term, it's thought he is angling for a January switch to the Premier League but dealing with a Russian club, for obvious reasons, could prove to be complicated. I can't say I'm particularly wooed by this story but it isn't the worst whisper I've ever heard so if something was to come of it, I wouldn't be disappointed or moved, just neutral.

Charlie Patino – Arsenal

Those at FootballTransfers have been informed that Fulham allegedly made an early-window offer for Arsenal youngster Charlie Patino, who is currently on loan at Championship side Swansea City. The 20-year-old has been a top performer for the Swans this season and despite the prospect of blooding him at a higher level, Arsenal have no intention of ending the player's stay in south Wales.

So, this is a non-starter, but Patino is undoubtedly a playmaker we should keep in our sights because he is growing into a very handy midfielder. As Arsenal's middle third is laden with world-class options, a loan move could suit both Patino and the Gunners next term and if he's available, we should do our best to snap him up, even if it's only for a season or so.

Petar Musa – SL Benfica

Portuguese publication Record state that Brentford, Wolves and Fulham are set to miss out on Benfica's Petar Musa, as the striker's January switch to Ligue 1 side Lille OSC is imminent. The report claims Lille are 'gaining advantage' in the race for the 25-year-old's signature and as Benfica recently landed Marcos Leandro from Brazilian side Santos, Musa is seemingly surplus to requirement at the Estadio da Luz.

The Croatian striker has netted five goals and provided two in 25 Liga NOS appearances for As Águias this season, he's a physical striker that comes to life in the penalty area but as none of the English sides actually tabled a bid, Les Dogues have a clear pathway to securing their prime attacking target in the next few days.

Ederson – Atalanta BC

Speaking on Last Word on Spurs, football broadcaster Ben Jacobs has revealed that while Tottenham Hotspur should go all-out for Atalanta midfielder Ederson, the north Londoners could face fierce competition from multiple clubs across Europe, including Fulham.

Jacobs said: "Wolves don't want to lose Gomes, Ederson does have some legs, Atleti have looked historically but are looking at other targets, Juventus are also in the race, and I'm also told that Fulham are looking and they're still in the market for some sort of central midfielder."

Previously a Brazil U20 representative, Ederson is seen as one of Atalanta's brightest assets and from a roaming midfield role, the 24-year-old has registered 5 goals and an assist in 21 Serie A outings. It's likely La Dea will demand a minimum sum of £30m if they're to allow Ederson to depart and as our money could be spent better elsewhere, we should let it be and move on. Over to you, Spurs et al.

Martin Braithwaite – RCD Espanyol

As well as Manchester United and Chelsea, HITC have been told that Arsenal, Wolves, West Ham and Fulham are also on the hunt for Espanyol's heavily experienced striker Martin Braithwaite, who has scored 11 goals in 21 outings in the Segunda Division. His tally makes him the Spanish second tier's top scorer and they have helped fire Espanyol to fourth in the standings thus far.

The Denmark international is no stranger to English football, having been a Middlesbrough player between 2017 to 2019, and he had also turned out for FC Barcelona from 2020 to 2022. It's thought Braithwaite could be up for grabs for a paltry £5m due to his release clause, however his deal at the Catalonian club does run until 2025, so it's not yet known whether he will actually seek an exit for definite, not if promotion to La Liga is still a possibility.

Can Uzun – FC Nurnberg

Subject to a Chronicle Live report, Premier League quartet Newcastle United, Brighton and Hove Albion, Everton and Fulham are eyeing Nurnberg's €10m-rated striker Can Uzun. As well as the aforementioned English teams, though, German Bundesliga sides Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Eintrach Frankfurt are potential suitors, and La Liga duo Sevilla and Villarreal CF have also been cited.

So, the 18-year-old hotshot is turning heads, a lot of them, and with good reason. The teenager has a very impressive haul in the 2.Bundesliga, 8 goals and an assist in 17 appearances to be exact, and with numbers like that, it surely won't be long until the Turkey U21 attacker's purchased by an elite set-up, and if his representatives are smart, they'll know Motspur Park is the perfect proving ground for fresh, raw talents such as Uzun. Pie in the sky thinking, mind.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2024-01-29-fulham-transfer-rumour-round-up-bennacer-oriley-braithwaite/

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up: Wickens' Penalty Heroics
George Wickens marked his Scottish Premiership debut by making two penalty saves in Ross County's 1-0 loss away at Celtic.

The Staggies fell behind in the first minute, but Wickens kept his side in it by getting down well to push away Luis Palma's spot-kick.

And when the referee ordered a retake following player encroachment, he dived the same way to thwart Palma once more.

Jay Stansfield featured in Birmingham's first loss under new boss Tony Mowbray, as they were beaten 3-0 by Leicester in the FA Cup.

In League One, Kieron Bowie played the full match as Northampton went down 2-0 to Shrewsbury, while Martial Godo was used as a second-half sub in Wigan's 3-2 loss to Stevenage.

Meanwhile, a slight hamstring strain kept Luke Harris out of Exeter's 2-1 win over Barnsley.

Olly Sanderson came on in the 77th minute of Sutton's 1-1 draw away at Walsall in League Two, his second appearance for the U's.

In the Bundesliga, Kevin Mbabu registered an assist in Augsburg's 3-2 defeat to Bayern Munich.

The full-back delivered an excellent cross for Ermedin Demirovic to head in, before Bayern's Harry Kane ultimately scored the winner.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2024/january/29/loan-round-up-wickens-penalty-heroics/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Riverside 'faux pas'
You would have expected the ticketing furore to feature in the weekend papers, but the Daily Mail's Mike Keegan denotes a lack of diversity in the promotion of the well behind schedule Riverside Stand on Saturday.

In this morning's Sports Agenda column, Keegan writes:

"An advert to promote the facilities featured in the new stand at Fulham's Craven Cottage has raised a few eyebrows.

The ad, by Portview Fit Out Specialists, shows the Thames-facing back of the eye-catching structure, with people enjoying the rooftop pool, sauna, gym and plush living and working spaces. However, one eagle-eyed watcher spotted that almost all of those featured have one thing in common – they all appear to be white."

Following hot on the heels of the white flags that made the Johnny Haynes Stand look like it was staging a Klu Klux Klan convention rather than the League Cup semi-final on Wednesday, it puts a whole new spin on 'Come on Whites'.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/01/fulhams-riverside-faux-pas/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Everton: Prediction and Preview
Back in danger of Premier League relegation, Sean Dyche will be hoping for more away-day success as we look ahead to Tuesday's Premier League clash with our Fulham vs Everton prediction and preview.

Fulham vs Everton Stats: The Quick Hits

The Opta supercomputer predicts Fulham to triumph against Everton, with the Craven Cottage hosts triumphing in 41.8% of pre-match simulations.
    Fulham are looking to complete their first ever league double over Everton in the 30th campaign in which these teams have met.
    Only Liverpool and Manchester City can better Everton's five Premier League away wins this term.

Match Preview
Everton may have thought Premier League relegation fears were easing after four straight wins in December but they are back flirting with Championship football next season again ahead of Tuesday's visit to Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Sean Dyche's side rallied in response to their 10-point deduction, which the club have appealed, for breaches of Premier League financial and sustainability rulings after beating Nottingham Forest, Newcastle United, Chelsea and Burnley in a spirited pre-Christmas run.

However, Everton – who could face further penalties from the league after being charged again recently along with Forest – sit just one point above 18th-placed Luton Town heading into Matchday 22 after defeats against Tottenham, Manchester City and Wolves before a goalless draw with Aston Villa in their last league outing at Goodison Park.

Jordan Pickford was impressive in the Matchday 21 draw with Unai Emery's in-form Villa, keeping a league-high seventh clean sheet of the season. The England goalkeeper will expect another tough examination at Craven Cottage on Tuesday, although Fulham have failed to score in nine different Premier League games this term – the most by any side in the competition.

Pickford leading the shutout charts may make people think Dyche's side are just sitting deep and putting up the barricades but only Tottenham (214) have made more high turnovers than Everton (208) in the Premier League this season, showing they are defending high up the pitch as well as protecting their own penalty area.

There are some principles that Dyche will not throw away in the modern-day game, however, with 33% of Everton's Premier League goals this season coming from corners (8/24), the highest share in the division. The Toffees keep it simple for their impressive set-piece returns. Just one of their 99 corners so far this term has been taken short, fewer than any other Premier League side.

As for the visitors' team news, Ashley Young and Séamus Coleman will likely return, albeit not straight into Dyche's lineup after injury. Dele Alli and Abdoulaye Doucouré remain out, while Idrissa Gueye is still away at the Africa Cup of Nations with Senegal. André Gomes also missed Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Luton in the FA Cup fourth round at Goodison Park with an injury.

Fulham are seven points clear of Tuesday's opponents but are on a run of just one win in five Premier League games after beating Arsenal but losing against Newcastle, Burnley, Bournemouth and Chelsea. The latest defeat to their west London rivals at Stamford Bridge on Matchday 21 was tinged with frustration after Chelsea right-back Malo Gusto was fortunate to avoid a red card for a lunge on Willian before Cole Palmer's penalty proved the difference.

Marco Silva's side were also eliminated from the EFL Cup semi-finals by Liverpool as a 1-1 draw on Wednesday at Craven Cottage sent Jürgen Klopp's side into the final with Chelsea after a 3-2 aggregate triumph. There was more cup misery for Fulham on Saturday as they were dumped out of the FA Cup after a 2-0 home defeat to Newcastle.

In terms of selection, Silva has no real injury concerns – barring the hamstring issue for winger Adama Traoré – though Alex Iwobi, Fodé Ballo-Touré and Calvin Bassey remain at the Africa Cup of Nations. Tim Ream is back to full fitness but playing a backup role to centre-back pairing Diop and Tosin Adarabioyo, while there could be a milestone on Tuesday for Andreas Pereira. Former Manchester United playmaker Pereira could make his 100th Premier League appearance. No Fulham player has been involved in more league goals than him this season (five), while he's created more chances than any other player for the Cottagers.

Fulham vs Everton Head-to-Head
In what is the 30th different league campaign in which they've met, Fulham are looking to complete the league double over Everton for the very first time after Bobby De Cordova-Reid scored the winner in a 1-0 triumph at Goodison Park back in August.

Dyche's men will not just roll over at Craven Cottage, where Everton have lost only one of their last seven away league games against Fulham (W3 D3), having been beaten in nine of the 10 trips prior (W1).

The Toffees have enjoyed their visits down south, winning three of their four Premier League games in London this season, though they did lose last time out against Tottenham. Only in 2020-21 under Carlo Ancelotti (five) have Everton won more often in the capital in a single Premier League campaign.

Everton must watch out for Raúl Jiménez, however, as the Fulham striker has five Premier League goals against them – his most against an opponent in the competition – though all those strikes came in his first five appearances against the Toffees, failing to score in his last two against the blue half of Merseyside.

Recent Form
Craven Cottage has become a tough place to visit, with Fulham winning four of their last five Premier League home games (L1), against Arsenal, West Ham, Nottingham Forest and Wolves, as many as in their previous 12 at Craven Cottage (D2 L6).

Indeed, each of the Cottagers' last six Premier League wins have come on home soil – including wins over Sheffield United and Luton – with their last away league win coming at Everton in the opening game of this season.

Everton may have fallen down the league table but only the current top two sides Liverpool (six) and Manchester City (seven) have won more Premier League away games this season than Everton (five).

In stark contrast to previous struggles, five away wins this term for Everton is already one more than they managed in the previous two campaigns combined (four).

Opta Power Rankings
The Opta Power Rankings are a global team ranking system that assigns an ability score to over 13,000 domestic football teams on a scale between zero and 100, where zero is the worst-ranked team in the world and 100 is the best team in the world.

Ahead of kick-off on Tuesday, here is the Opta Power Ranking for both sides:

Fulham vs Everton Prediction

The Opta supercomputer expects Fulham to win on Tuesday, with the hosts victorious in 41.8% of 10,000 pre-match simulations, compared to an Everton triumph in just 28.8%.

A draw appears to be slightly more likely than the visitors succeeding, with a stalemate occurring in 29.4% of data-led scenarios.

Everton currently have a 15.1% chance of going down in Opta's season simulations, with only Sheffield United (97.6%), Burnley (92.9%), Luton (52.6%) and Nottingham Forest (20.1%) seeing a greater likelihood.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2024/01/fulham-vs-everton-prediction/

WhiteJC

Dyche Sends Everton 'Mindset' Message
Sean Dyche has welcomed the short turnaround between matches as his Everton side look to bounce back with a Premier League clash at Fulham on Tuesday night (7.45pm GMT kick-off).

The Toffees played out a competitive contest with the Hatters in Saturday's FA Cup meeting at Goodison Park and did well to battle back from going a goal down in the first half through an unfortunate Vitalii Mykolenko own goal to draw level through Jack Harrison shortly after the break.

Dyche's men upped the ante in the second half and looked the more likely side to go and win the tie, only for a stoppage-time Cauley Woodrow effort from a goalmouth scramble to condemn the Blues to a 2-1 defeat. 

The players have to dust themselves down quickly when they travel to the capital for Tuesday's contest at Craven Cottage, and Dyche insists it's a chance for his squad to get back to winning ways.

"It's good in the sense that you are back on it, the mindset changes quickly," explained Dyche on the quick turnaround in matches. "We had a roll call Sunday, then it's a case of moving forward and getting the team prepped again. We want the team to be ready and raring to go - they know the fixture list. The challenge is when you have got so many injuries, that obviously challenges it with recovery time, fitness and availability.

"But I believe in all these players, regardless of injuries."

Saturday's defeat was Everton's first in 2024, ending a run of three solid results against Crystal Palace over two FA Cup meetings plus the 0-0 draw against Aston Villa in the Premier League.

Despite the obvious disappointment of exiting the Cup on Saturday, Dyche is confident his team won't dwell on the setback and believes a return to league action will only incentivise the group further.

"It's a different ball game I think," said Dyche comparing Cup and league action. "The Cup is a different mentality - I said it in the last round. You feel it in the crowd as well, there is a different feel to the cups.

"It's nobody's fault, it is just the way it is, the players feel different, it's not the Premier League. There is a different buzz and feel about it.

"Obviously, in the latter stages, it grows in terms of intensity but there is a different feeling to it. So I think the players will be naturally responding differently and I want them to on Tuesday night."

Sean Dyche
    I believe in all these players, regardless of injuries

This will already be the third meeting between Everton and Fulham this season, with each of the previous two coming at Goodison Park and ending in narrow defeats for the Blues. The first, on the opening day of the campaign, saw Everton lose 1-0 despite a dominant display in which Dyche's men registered 19 shots while Fulham managed to convert from just one of their two on target.

December's Carabao Cup quarter-final meeting followed in a similar vein, with the Toffees enjoying the best of the goalmouth action but eventually going on to draw 1-1 and lose via a penalty shootout.

"They (Fulham) had a slow start this season because I thought we were excellent against them," said Dyche reflecting on the the two previous meetings. "But they got a result. I thought we were also excellent against them in the (Carabao) cup, and they got a result again, which is not ideal, obviously."

The Blues will look now for some deserved revenge at Craven Cottage. Dyche acknowledged that is not going to be an easy target to achieve given the London outfit have produced their best form in front of their own fans this season - each of their past six Premier League wins since beating Everton have come at home.

Away from, though, has been one of the team's biggest improvements under Dyche, with the Club's seven wins on the road across all competition this season being the most since they achieved 12 under Carlo Ancelotti in 2020/21.

"I think Fulham have grown into the season and found a bit more balance to how they play and how the manager wants them to play," added Dyche.

"They generally have a good home record, and it's never easy going away in the Premier League, anyway. But our away record is strong, so we want to go down there and whatever team we can put together, we want a team that can win the game."

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/3870406/dyche-sends-everton-mindset-message

WhiteJC

Liverpool staff really impressed by 'special' Fulham player after his performance against them
It now seems as if Liverpool may have conducted an unexpected scouting mission when they beat Fulham last Wednesday.

Jurgen Klopp's side won the game on aggregate, having drawn the second leg in a hotly contested tie at Craven Cottage.

And as the club begins to plan for life beyond Klopp, they are already busy drawing up targets for their next manager.

Liverpool have often been linked with Fulham full-back Antonee Robinson in the past, however, it was a different defender who caught their eye this time round.

According to Mail Sport's Transfer Confidential, Liverpool are now interested in signing Fulham's Tosin Adarabioyo.

The imposing defender has enjoyed an extended run in Marco Silva's side of late, displaying all of his 'special' attributes.

And with his contract set to expire in the summer, interest is only going to intensify.

According to the report, Liverpool have now been monitoring Adarabioyo for some time but could face competition from the likes of AC Milan.

The former Manchester City defender is currently showing no signs of signing a new deal in West London, meaning a high-profile move could be on the horizon.

Liverpool now considering a move for Fulham defender Tosin Adarabioyo
It'll certainly be interesting to see how Liverpool do approach their summer spending.

Perhaps their new manager will be announced before the season has been concluded – but that would make a move for Xabi Alonso or Roberto De Zerbi difficult.

It seems there's a lot to sort for the new boss, including the future of Mohamed Salah.

Perhaps the club even needs to seek certainty over the future of players such as Virgil van Dijk and Andrew Robertson, Klopp's departure is bound to raise a few questions.

And although the German will leave the club in excellent shape, there will still be immediate jobs in the new manager's inbox.

Perhaps the new Liverpool manager will be quickly presented with a list of potential targets, including the likes of Fulham defender Adarabioyo.

There's a lot of ifs and buts right now, but the club will surely provide more clarity when possible.

https://tbrfootball.com/liverpool-staff-really-impressed-by-special-fulham-player-after-his-performance-against-them/

WhiteJC

Welcome Jay Williams

Manager Steve Morison had made a further addition to his squad with the signing of Fulham defender Jay Williams on a permanent deal.

A versatile defender who can play at centre back or right back, 20-year-old Jay has represented his native Wales across a number of age groups and has been at Fulham since August 2019, having signed from Newport County. In 2021 helped Fulham's Under-18 side to their league championship.

His father Gavin was capped twice at full international level for Wales and played for Hereford against Sutton in the Nationwide Conference in the 1999-2000 season.

We welcome Jay to the club - he will have the number 39.

https://www.suttonunited.net/news/2024/january/welcome-jay-williams/

WhiteJC

Wilson out for 'two or three weeks'
Harry Wilson will be out of action for 'two or three weeks' after injuring his shoulder in Fulham's FA Cup exit at the hands of Newcastle United on Saturday, according to Marco Silva.

The Welsh winger had to be withdrawn before half-time having fallen awkwardly after a challenge by Dan Burn at the weekend and the Fulham head coach confirmed that the former Liverpool forward will be missing until at least mid-Feburary during his pre-match press conference earlier this afternoon.

Silva said:

"We're still assessing the players from [the weekend]. We played two games, really emotional games, and it took a lot of energy from ourselves. Unfortunately for us, Harry Wilson is going to be out for at least two or three weeks."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2024/01/wilson-out-for-two-or-three-weeks/

WhiteJC

Fulham formulating new bid to sign Armando Broja

Fulham are reportedly keen on signing 22-year-old Chelsea striker Armando Broja this month and are preparing a fresh bid.
A report from TEAMtalk has claimed that Fulham are preparing a fresh offer to sign Chelsea attacker Armando Broja. The Cottagers will compete with Aston Villa and West Ham United for the 22-year-old. Fulham had initially offered a loan deal with an obligation clause worth £25 million. But Chelsea want around £35 million.

Armando Broja Needs a Move
Broja has not been a regular starter for Chelsea this season, and he needs to leave the club to play regularly. A move to Fulham could be ideal for him. The Londoners need attacking reinforcements, and the Chelsea striker could prove to be a quality long-term investment.

Raul Jimenez has not been at his best this season, and Fulham will need to bring in an upgrade soon. They have struggled to score goals this season, and signing a quality attacker could make a huge difference for them in the final third. The 22-year-old would get ample game time at Fulham as well, and it could help him develop further and fulfil his potential.

Aston Villa, West Ham Also Want Broja
Meanwhile, Aston Villa need to add more depth to their attacking unit. They have been overly reliant on Ollie Watkins for goals, and the England international has been in splendid form. However, Unai Emery needs more depth in the side so that he can rotate his key players.

Broja would be an interesting acquisition for them. The Chelsea prospect has shown his quality during a loan spell at Southampton in the past and he is certainly good enough to play for clubs like Fulham, Aston Villa and West Ham.

The Hammers will need to bring in a quality striker who can lead the line for them. Michail Antonio has looked like a shadow of his former self recently and Danny Ings has had availability issues. David Moyes needs to invest in a quality striker and the Chelsea player would be superb option. It will be interesting to see where the talented young striker ends up eventually.

All three clubs would represent an excellent opportunity for the young striker, and he needs to focus on his development for now. It will be interesting to see if Chelsea are prepared to let him leave the club before the January window slams shot.

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2024/01/29/fulham-formulating-new-bid-to-sign-armando-broja/

WhiteJC

Team News: Wilson Sidelined
Marco Silva confirmed that Harry Wilson is set for a spell on the sidelines, after the winger went off in the first half against Newcastle United on Saturday.

"Unfortunately for us, he's going to be another absence for the [Everton] match," he confirmed.

"We have been able to really well take care of our players, which is good after that busy, busy December and January. We don't have many injuries – that is a good sign that we have been doing the things really well, and the players have been taking care of themselves well, too.

"This was a different one, was when he fell down in that moment [after being fouled], was in his shoulder – nothing muscular or something like that.

"But, unfortunately for us, he's going to be out at least two, three weeks. Let's hope not longer than that, but at least three weeks he's going to be out.

"The other player that is still out is Adama Traoré. Nice to see him back in the training with his teammates – soon we are going to see him back in the squad list."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2024/january/29/team-news-wilson-sidelined/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Everton: How to watch live, stream link, team news, live updates
Fulham host Everton at Craven Cottage on Tuesday as both teams aim to get back on track after a bumpy period in league and cup play.

WATCH FULHAM v EVERTON LIVE
The Cottagers pushed Liverpool all the way in their recent League Cup semifinal both lost 3-2 over the two legs and were then punished for missing chances as they lost 2-0 at home in the FA Cup to Newcastle United on Saturday. Marco Silva's side have now lost five of their last eight games in all competitions, with three defeats in their last four in the Premier League. However, their last home league game was a shock win against Arsenal. Fulham are a funny team to figure out and sit in midtable as they aim for back-to-back top 10 finishes but could easily get sucked into the relegation scrap too.

Everton have regressed in recent weeks as they lost at home to Luton in the FA Cup at the weekend and Sean Dyche's side are without a win in their last four Premier League games, picking up just one point in that run. Add in being charged, again, with breaching financial rules by the Premier League and the dark clouds which looked to be departing Goodison have returned. After this slump in form they sit just one point above the relegation zone and badly need a win to get them back on track as the players' confidence seems to have been hit by the most recent financial charges against them.

How to watch Fulham vs Everton live, stream link and start time
Kick off: 2:45pm ET, Tuesday (January 30)
TV Channel: Peacock
Online: Stream via Peacock Premium

Focus on Fulham, team news
Fulham have some key players away at the Africa Cup of Nations, while Adama Traore continues to spend time on the sidelines since his summer arrival. Scoring goals has been a big problem for Fulham and they've tried Raul Jimenez, Rodrigo Muniz and Carlos Vinicius up top and only the former looks likely to get close to double figures for this season. Fulham have to keep this game tight and then hope the likes of Andreas Pereira, Willian or Bobby Decordova-Reid can open up Everton's defense on the counter.

OUT: Adama Traore (hamstring), Calvin Bassey (international duty), Alex Iwobi (international duty), Fode Ballo-Toure (international duty), Harry Wilson (muscle)

Focus on Everton, team news
Sean Dyche will be concerned with the lack of chances Everton are creating as their most recent Premier League outing against Aston Villa ended in a 0-0 draw and they missed the couple of the big chances they did create. There's a lot of pressure on Dominic Calvert-Lewin to deliver the goods, while Jack Harrison and Dwight McNeil are doing their best to create and support DCL in attack.

OUT: Idrissa Gana Gueye (international duty), Dele Alli (groin), Abdoulaye Doucoure (thigh) | QUESTIONABLE: Seamus Coleman (knock), Ashley Young (undisclosed), Andre Gomes (calf)

https://www.nbcsports.com/soccer/news/fulham-vs-everton-how-to-watch-live-stream-link-team-news-live-updates

WhiteJC

Fulham v Everton

TEAM NEWS
Fulham's Harry Wilson was forced off against Newcastle with a shoulder injury and will be assessed.

Calvin Bassey, Alex Iwobi and Fode Ballo-Toure remain at the Africa Cup of Nations, while Adama Traore is on the sidelines with a thigh problem.

Everton pair Seamus Coleman and Ashley Young are likely to again miss out due to injury.

Top scorer Abdoulaye Doucoure is definitely absent and Idrissa Gueye is on international duty.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Fulham are looking to complete their first league double over Everton at the 30th attempt.
    After a run of nine defeats in 10 away league matches at Fulham, the Toffees have lost just one of their last seven at Craven Cottage.

Fulham

Fulham are winless in four games in all competitions and have triumphed in just two of their last 10.
    However, the Cottagers have won four of their past five home league fixtures, as many as in their previous 12 at Craven Cottage.
    Their last six league wins have all been at home, with their only top-flight away victory this season coming at Everton on the opening weekend.
    They have failed to score in a league-high nine games in 2023-24.
    Raul Jimenez has scored five Premier League goals against Everton, more than he has versus any other side.

Everton

Everton's only victory in eight matches in all competitions came at home to Crystal Palace in an FA Cup third-round replay. They've taken one point from four league fixtures during that period.
    The Toffees have won on three of their four Premier League trips to London this season. They've only fared better in 2020-21, when they won five times in the capital under Carlo Ancelotti.
    Their tally of five away wins this season is the joint-third highest in the division and one more than they managed in their previous two campaigns combined.
    One third of their 24 league goals this season have come from corners, the highest proportion in the top flight.
    Jordan Pickford is level with Liverpool's Alisson in the race for the Premier League's Golden Glove award, having both kept seven clean sheets this season.
    Dominic Calvert-Lewin has gone 15 appearances without a goal in all competitions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68065095

WhiteJC

Bobby: Put It Right
Marco Silva hasn't hidden his admiration of Bobby De Cordova-Reid, labelling the forward as "tactically perfect".

The Jamaican international's versatility – he's appeared across the front three and been deployed in more defensive positions too – makes him fully deserving of that description.

"I think it's good for the manager because he may not have to make a sub – he can just move me around different positions!" Bobby explained.

"I consider myself a good listener, so when we're doing tactics I understand what different roles need, and I think the manager understands that and has trust in me.

"He's trusted me to do a lot of roles and trusts me on the pitch as a leader. I'm thankful for that and I want to keep repaying him with good performances."

Don't be fooled into thinking the 30-year-old is a mere utility man though; his five seasons at Fulham have been filled with tenacious displays and sprinkled with quality.

The first of the five goals he's notched this campaign came in the opening day win over Everton, the first of two victories so far over tomorrow's opponents.

"Obviously we've been doing well against Everton but that doesn't mean anything. We know what they're going to bring to the table.

"We have to exploit their weaknesses, but obviously go into the game with confidence and hopefully get the three points."

Sealing those three points to complete a Toffees treble would help heal the wounds from last week's cup exits at the hands of Liverpool and Newcastle.

"Unfortunately for us we didn't go through, but we'll take the lessons from it, move on and go again.

"I think we're prepared. We obviously want to put it right after two results that went against us. I think we need to get back on form and have that consistency going into the league."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2024/january/29/bobby-put-it-right/

WhiteJC

Jay Williams: Sutton United sign Fulham defender on permanent contract

Jay Williams can play at centre-back, right-back or in midfield
Sutton United have signed Fulham defender Jay Williams on a permanent contract.

The 20-year-old Wales youth international joined Fulham from Newport County in 2019 and won the Under-18 Premier League South with the London side in 2021.

He joins with Sutton 23rd in the League Two table and in the relegation zone, seven points from safety.

Their next match is against Harrogate Town on Tuesday.

The club have not specified the length of Williams' contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68132754

WhiteJC

Fulham: Marco Silva rues loss of absent duo as cup runs end
Key players Alex Iwobi and Calvin Bassey remain at AFCON

Marco Silva admitted Alex Iwobi and Calvin Bassey have been "two big misses" for Fulham with the pair having been absent for the club's FA Cup and Carabao Cup exits due to Africa Cup of Nations commitments with Nigeria.

Forward Iwobi and defender Bassey were key to Fulham's success in December, where the Cottagers claimed back-to-back 5-0 victories over West Ham and Nottingham Forest and defeated Arsenal 2-1 on New Year's Eve.

However, the two summer signings linked up with the Nigeria earlier this month, helping their country into the AFCON quarter-finals where they will play Angola on Friday, and were unavailable for Fulham's Carabao Cup semi-final loss to Liverpool as well as Saturday's 2-0 defeat to Newcastle in the FA Cup.

Silva, speaking ahead of Tuesday's Premier League visit of Everton, said: "[Iwobi] and Bassey too, they have been two big misses for us.

"They played in the last game against Arsenal and the team was in a good moment. Bassey was in his best moment since he joined last summer. Alex has been an important player in our attacking line and someone who can play in many positions."

Fulham have beaten Everton on both occasions this season, with victory coming in the form of a 1-0 league win in August before a penalty shoot-out triumph in the Carabao Cup quarter-finals in December.

And despite their recent cup disappointments, Silva, who managed the Toffees between 2018 and 2019, believes Fulham can have confidence going into the match after their results against Sean Dyche's men this season.

He added: "It gives us the confidence that we can repeat again. Everton will think the opposite way. It gives us confidence that we can perform well to get it done.

"It will be a competitive Premier League game and we are positive we can get a result again."

Everton, who received a 10-point deduction in November for breaching the Premier League's profitability and sustainability rules, sit one point clear of the bottom three and seven behind 13th-placed Fulham.

Silva believes his former club will bring a physical presence to west London and that his Fulham team will need to have a "very good night" in a game he says the Cottagers need to win.

"We know what they are capable to do, they will demand a very good night from ourselves because we need to win the game," Silva said.

"Their reaction [to the points deduction] was impressive and we need to be fair and realise that it was.

"It's always tricky when you play a Sean Dyche team. They are a difficult team to beat and play against. For me it is clear that in all moments of the game it can become physical in all the challenges and the duels and they are able to build and create chances as well. They are a solid side.

"Everton away from home have been one of the stronger sides. We know that they are a dangerous side, we know what they are capable to do."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-marco-silva-everton-iwobi-bassey-b1135569.html

WhiteJC

Liverpool interested in signing soon-to-be Premier League free agent
Fulham defender Tosin Adarabioyo has reportedly caught the attention of Liverpool.

That's according to the Daily Mail's Transfer Confidential, which claims the Reds are interested in signing the Manchester-born defender.

With his contract set to expire at the end of the season, Adarabioyo, 26, has been heavily linked with a free transfer away from Craven Cottage.

Despite being rumoured to be a target for Serie A giants AC Milan, the 26-year-old's agent recently quashed speculation his client was refusing to sign a new contract with Fulham.

However, regardless of what the player's representatives say, it seems unlikely the centre-back will remain a Fulham player beyond this season, and according to these latest reports, Anfield is now a possible destination.

Irrespective of Jurgen Klopp's recent decision to leave Liverpool at the end of the season, Adarabioyo is well-respected inside the club with the Premier League leaders thought to be 'interested' in landing him on a free transfer in the summer.

During his four years with Fulham, Adarabioyo, who came through Manchester City's youth academy, has directly contributed to six goals in 121 games in all competitions.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2024/01/29/liverpool-interested-in-signing-tosin-adarabioyo-from-fulham/