Main Menu

Penalty taker

Started by richie17, January 23, 2011, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

It went in - that's the main thing.

COYW!!

McBridefan1

ps: we were the only prem team not to concede a penalty.

os5889

Murphy scored 8 out of 8 penalties for Liverpool

He has scored 8/9 penalties for us

Missed against CSKA Sofia unless I'm mistaken

I don't care how good the rapidly becoming "primadonna" Dempsey thinks he is, Murphy is the penalty taker!

richie17

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 23, 2011, 05:16:53 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on January 23, 2011, 03:57:09 PM
Must admit I have never been a big fan of the "maker" of the penalty also taking it. I have no stats to back this up, but it seems more often than not they'll miss.

Maybe I am wrong, but anyway that always makes me nervous

maybe it's the american in me, because when you get fouled in basketball you take the free throws no matter how good you are or in SHAQ's case how bad. perhaps we should change the game altogether to stop defenders from committing penalties... maybe if you are fouled in the box you should get the goal and a penalty, would make penalties like the one on Suarez of Uruguay against Ghana in the WC obsolete. In any event, it seems a silly thing to complain about... who scores? Who cares??? Fulham 2-0 Stoke...

Who's complaining?  It's just unusual for a team to deviate from its designated penalty taker.   As Lork says, Murphy's one of the game's best, and is the club's penalty taker, so it's strange that he didn't take it here.   So I wondered what others thought.    We got away with it, which is great, but if Dempsey and Murphy went head to head taking penalties you'd assume Murphy would prevail, ergo the best thing to do is let him take our penalties (which is why he's our penalty taker!).   It's slightly unprofessional of Clint to have interjected like that, and if he'd missed he'd have had a rollicking off Hughes for sure.

McBridefan1

Quote from: richie17 on January 23, 2011, 05:58:12 PM
Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 23, 2011, 05:16:53 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on January 23, 2011, 03:57:09 PM
Must admit I have never been a big fan of the "maker" of the penalty also taking it. I have no stats to back this up, but it seems more often than not they'll miss.

Maybe I am wrong, but anyway that always makes me nervous

maybe it's the american in me, because when you get fouled in basketball you take the free throws no matter how good you are or in SHAQ's case how bad. perhaps we should change the game altogether to stop defenders from committing penalties... maybe if you are fouled in the box you should get the goal and a penalty, would make penalties like the one on Suarez of Uruguay against Ghana in the WC obsolete. In any event, it seems a silly thing to complain about... who scores? Who cares??? Fulham 2-0 Stoke...

Who's complaining?  It's just unusual for a team to deviate from its designated penalty taker.   As Lork says, Murphy's one of the game's best, and is the club's penalty taker, so it's strange that he didn't take it here.   So I wondered what others thought.    We got away with it, which is great, but if Dempsey and Murphy went head to head taking penalties you'd assume Murphy would prevail, ergo the best thing to do is let him take our penalties (which is why he's our penalty taker!).   It's slightly unprofessional of Clint to have interjected like that, and if he'd missed he'd have had a rollicking off Hughes for sure.

again it's the american in me but I take Demps over murphy on pens any day of the week... demps doesn't miss and he is the guy scoring the majority of the goals for us at the moment... don't you want him, wanting to shoot????

PS: if you have been fouled badly wouldn't the competitor in you need to take that shot? And you want him to temper his fire, you people are nutz...

BarryP

I don't know what was said between Murphy and Dempsey but on TV it looked like Dempsey was looking for Murphy after the goal and when Murphy wasn't in the original celebration group that Dempsey looked around for him, pointed to him and then went to celebrate with Murphy.

I really don't care who takes the penalties when we are already up as long as they do it confidently but if the match is tied I would rather Murphy be on the spot.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

McBridefan1

Quote from: os5889 on January 23, 2011, 05:55:28 PM

I don't care how good the rapidly becoming "primadonna" Dempsey thinks he is, Murphy is the penalty taker!

Primadonna???? Nice. real nice. fricken guy does all he can to help our club and he is never accepted... if he were an italian you people would... you're all the same. Primadonna???  :tom: WT(f-in)F ... for christ's sake if it were AJ or some other Englishman you would be applauding his desire... instead you slag a guy who has done nothing but good things for Fulham and still there is an element of you who will never accept him. What a shame.

scotty

This whole topic is very fulhamish. Win 2-0 with the most complete, dominating performance of the season and still find things to complain about.

That being said if we are behind or in a tie I'd want cpt murph at the spot.

White Noise

I was filling my pants when I saw Murf had given way to the burly Texan ( :dft012:).

I said to my lad that I thought Clint had asked for the chance because he felt he was on fire and wanted a hattrick. I had no knowledge of Clint taking a penalty before but sometimes when you are in the zone you just want to keep pushing and pushing.

I personally prefer the clinical experience of Murphy on the pens as I do with people taking free kicks and corners.

I was also hoping that Murf was going to take it to quieten some of the 'Danny Murphy is a w*nker, is a w*anker, is a w*nker' chanting from the Stokies.

Clint certainly didn't seem to lack confidence in his kick but my blood pressure would prefer the Skipper to take them in future.

That said, it will be interesting if AJ gives the ball to Murf when he wins a pen because he is a fine taker of them himself.

MJG

Is it just me or do others think Dempsey is falling over less?  :-)

White Noise

Quote from: scotty on January 23, 2011, 06:27:27 PM
This whole topic is very fulhamish. Win 2-0 with the most complete, dominating performance of the season and still find things to complain about.

Just because your girlfriends had a boob job doesn't mean she can stop clearing brush down at the Labial Ranch. :024:

scotty

Quote from: White Noise on January 23, 2011, 06:35:24 PM
Quote from: scotty on January 23, 2011, 06:27:27 PM

Just because your girlfriends had a boob job doesn't mean she can stop clearing brush down at the Labial Ranch. :024:

hahaha great great line. Luckily her O.K corral is properly maintained.

os5889

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 23, 2011, 06:22:00 PM

Primadonna???? Nice. real nice. fricken guy does all he can to help our club and he is never accepted... if he were an italian you people would... you're all the same. Primadonna???  :tom: WT(f-in)F ... for christ's sake if it were AJ or some other Englishman you would be applauding his desire... instead you slag a guy who has done nothing but good things for Fulham and still there is an element of you who will never accept him. What a shame.

1) I love Dempsey

The point was made as Murphy as the club captain shouldnt have the ball snatched by Demps to improve his stats.

Also his falling like a fly as soon as he get flicked by a fly while proceeding to try and kick the daylights out of everyone else is driving me mad!!! Stay on your feet!

He has this season been incredible, dont get me wrong I'm just beginning to see a texan Drogba at times  :003:

LRCN

Quote from: os5889 on January 23, 2011, 06:50:13 PM
Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 23, 2011, 06:22:00 PM

1) I love Dempsey

The point was made as Murphy as the club captain shouldnt have the ball snatched by Demps to improve his stats.

Also his falling like a fly as soon as he get flicked by a fly while proceeding to try and kick the daylights out of everyone else is driving me mad!!! Stay on your feet!

He has this season been incredible, dont get me wrong I'm just beginning to see a texan Drogba at times  :003:

demps goes down easier that most but  :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: no one deserves comparison to drogba.

i love demps too, he's probably my fave player and i reckon he's rediculously underrated (outside of sw6), i just feel more confident with murphy taking a penalty than dempsey, that's all.

richie17

well 80% of penalties go in overall so Dempsey was a good bet to score.   Point is, Murphy is almost certainly a better bet, having proved it time and time again.   Again, I'm not complaining, I was just wondering about it as it's not really "the done thing". 

That said, I would assume most pens are missed as a result of uncertainty - Dempsey clearly felt very sure of himself, which is a good thing.

White Noise

Whats happened to your avatar Rich - its just coming out as a red x?

LordNelson

Think of it this way:  Murphy is probably around for one more season and that is assuming he stays healthy.  It's good to spread the PK wealth around and get others some game pressure experience instead of having a glaring void to fill in about a year or if  he goes down.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

FFCOutpostCommander

I have to side with Sir Nelson on this one. Dempsey has been one of my favorite footballers since he first appeared in the MLS and the US National team. Still is. I was thrilled when he came to my club too. It isn't a matter of confidence in his ability to put a PK away, but more a statement about his support for his mates. Demps is still young with lots of time to get the acknowledgement he so clearly deserves. It would have been a real nice gesture if he had handed the ball back to Murphy to put one next to his name on the score sheet. Murph has been at the heart of our squad and he was clearly trying like h_ell to put one in the net today against a team he really dislikes. No real foul here, just a missed opportunity to elevate the whole.
Quietly holding down the fort in Northern NJ, USA

finnster01

Quote from: FFCOutpostCommander on January 23, 2011, 08:04:59 PM
I have to side with Sir Nelson on this one. Dempsey has been one of my favorite footballers since he first appeared in the MLS and the US National team. Still is. I was thrilled when he came to my club too. It isn't a matter of confidence in his ability to put a PK away, but more a statement about his support for his mates. Demps is still young with lots of time to get the acknowledgement he so clearly deserves. It would have been a real nice gesture if he had handed the ball back to Murphy to put one next to his name on the score sheet. Murph has been at the heart of our squad and he was clearly trying like h_ell to put one in the net today against a team he really dislikes. No real foul here, just a missed opportunity to elevate the whole.
Not arguing there Mr FFC, but what about some reverse psychology? Maybe Murph didn't want to take it? After his comments about thug teams in the press, Hughes not shaking Pulis hands etc., it would have been a lose-lose proposition for him.
He misses, Stoke rallies (at least the fans), he scores he rubs it in even more, and Stoke will hate Fulham even more.

I think the right person took the penalty, and absolutely I don't care who takes it as long as it goes in, But I still get nervous when the "maker" takes it himself (and that applies to Murph too)

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Quote from: finnster01 on January 23, 2011, 08:11:25 PM
Quote from: FFCOutpostCommander on January 23, 2011, 08:04:59 PM
Not arguing there Mr FFC, but what about some reverse psychology? Maybe Murph didn't want to take it? After his comments about thug teams in the press, Hughes not shaking Pulis hands etc., it would have been a lose-lose proposition for him.
He misses, Stoke rallies (at least the fans), he scores he rubs it in even more, and Stoke will hate Fulham even more.

I think the right person took the penalty, and absolutely I don't care who takes it as long as it goes in, But I still get nervous when the "maker" takes it himself (and that applies to Murph too)

This very well could have been the reason. Good point Finn.

Murphy is the captain and as such I would leave it to him to decide on a case by case basis. Murphy has scored nearly every penalty he has taken so I am less worried with him taking the pens than anyone else on the squad.