watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Penalty taker

Started by richie17, January 23, 2011, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie17

So do we know what Clint said to Danny there?  Murph had the ball to start with, Dempsey lingered and eventually Murph gave up.  Then pointedly didn't really celebrate.   Anything come out on this?  Any theories?

WhiteJC

I think Clint said "I won the pen, I would have scored, I know you take them normally but it's my pen"

BalDrick

Bad captaincy if it hadn't gone in - it actually wasn't that good a pen, if the keeper had gone the right way it was very savable. I know that's a big if but I don't think it was very near the corner of the goal.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Fulham_Adam

Quote from: BalDrick on January 23, 2011, 11:14:21 AM
Bad captaincy if it hadn't gone in - it actually wasn't that good a pen, if the keeper had gone the right way it was very savable. I know that's a big if but I don't think it was very near the corner of the goal.

If it goes in it's a good penalty.  :dft012:
Haven't seen the replay but maybe Clint saw the keeper moving the other way?
The past is told by those who win.

epsomraver

because we haven't had a penalty for ages it was probably that Danny didn't feel confident and Clint did, that is all

BalDrick

Quote from: Fulham_Adam on January 23, 2011, 11:27:11 AM

Not sure, and I'm being super critical anyway. Personally prefer the Julian Dicks style of penalty, hit so hard the keeper doesn't actually want to touch it.

WhiteJC

Quote from: BalDrick on January 23, 2011, 11:33:21 AM

Not sure, and I'm being super critical anyway. Personally prefer the Julian Dicks style of penalty, hit so hard the keeper doesn't actually want to touch it.

should Baird take them?

BalDrick

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 23, 2011, 11:56:41 AM
Quote from: BalDrick on January 23, 2011, 11:33:21 AM

should Baird take them?

Except for one, Murph's done a great job. Don't get many anyway, will be a while till we get our next

LordNelson

I think it's one of those unwritten football-man-bro rules:  it's your penalty AND you are competent to take it.  Otherwise, it's Murphy.  Being one up might have had a little to do with it as well.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Whiteroom

I think its another goal on Clint's tally for the season. It puts him in the top scorers on BBC!

LRCN

murphy should have taken it, it was a bit unprofessional of dempsey to make murphy give it to him.

McBridefan1

ha ha only in Europe do you cry about a guy who wants to score goals, and then actually scores them... lol you lot crack me up.  :red: I always believed you make the guy who earned the pen shoot unless he is injured on the play, I'm pretty sure most people would agree. If a guy is scoring goals and is pretty much the only regular goal scorer wouldn't you want to keep him scoring goals? It becomes habit forming you know. 2-0 and we're quibbling with how we score  :tom:???

finnster01

Must admit I have never been a big fan of the "maker" of the penalty also taking it. I have no stats to back this up, but it seems more often than not they'll miss.

Maybe I am wrong, but anyway that always makes me nervous
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

MJG

At first Murphy did not go over with the rest of the players to dempsey, I suspect he was a bit disappointed not to take it,but before they all ran back he went over to dempsey and congratulated him. I actually thought it was a well blasted pen and to be frank don't care who takes them as long as we score.

Whiteroom

It was Dempsey's goal scoring chance that was taken away. It was another goal for his tally that was denied. I don't see why he shouldn't take it. It doesn't represent weakness on Murphy's part at all. I actually think it would be selfish and slightly unkind of Murphy to overrule Clint and insist on taking it.

HatterDon

How exactly did Dempsey "make" Murphy give up his penalty taking responsibilty?  :down_under:

We really do have some good penalty takers on this squad, don't we? We have

Murphy
AJ
Dempsey
Gera
Baird
Zamora

any others I'm missing?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BalDrick

'It was Dempsey's goal scoring chance that was taken away. It was another goal for his tally that was denied. I don't see why he shouldn't take it.'

Because it's a team game and so long as the ball's in the net and Fulham are 2-0 up, then it oughtn't matter to Deuce. Situation like that, the best penalty taker in the squad takes it, which used to be Murph.

Don't the arsewipes do a thing where it's not the guy who won it who takes it? Obviously they get plenty during a season so can afford to have various takers.

McBridefan1

Quote from: finnster01 on January 23, 2011, 03:57:09 PM
Must admit I have never been a big fan of the "maker" of the penalty also taking it. I have no stats to back this up, but it seems more often than not they'll miss.

maybe it's the american in me, because when you get fouled in basketball you take the free throws no matter how good you are or in SHAQ's case how bad. perhaps we should change the game altogether to stop defenders from committing penalties... maybe if you are fouled in the box you should get the goal and a penalty, would make penalties like the one on Suarez of Uruguay against Ghana in the WC obsolete. In any event, it seems a silly thing to complain about... who scores? Who cares??? Fulham 2-0 Stoke...

LRCN

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 23, 2011, 05:16:53 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on January 23, 2011, 03:57:09 PM

maybe it's the american in me, because when you get fouled in basketball you take the free throws no matter how good you are or in SHAQ's case how bad. perhaps we should change the game altogether to stop defenders from committing penalties... maybe if you are fouled in the box you should get the goal and a penalty, would make penalties like the one on Suarez of Uruguay against Ghana in the WC obsolete. In any event, it seems a silly thing to complain about... who scores? Who cares??? Fulham 2-0 Stoke...

in the 90th minute at 1-1 i want our best penalty taker to take it, not only is murphy one of the best at it at the club he's one of the best at it in the league. in the end it didn't matter, but one day it might.

McBridefan1

last season Murphy took two and scored them both... Dempsey took one and scored that as well... NON EVENT... Demps doesn't miss either.

Murph in a 2-1 loss to wolves hit a 66th minute pen.
Murph in a 2-2 draw against West Ham hit a 47th minute pen
Dempsey in a 1-1 draw with wigan hits a game tying pen in the 39th minute

After 37 minutes of play Fulham were back in the game thanks to a Clint Dempsey penalty. The American earned the spot-kick after being tripped by Bramble 12 yards from goal after latching onto Damien Duff's free kick from the right flank.

With regular penalty takers Murphy and Kamara absent through injury, Dempsey stepped up and confidently sent Kirkland the wrong way before calmly stroking the ball into the far corner of the net.

So there is precedent... even if it was through injury.