watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy about to be sacked sadly

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, February 15, 2024, 01:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

To be replaced by ex Eintracht Frankfurt manager who won the Europa League.

Roy had to contend with a lot of injuries to his best players this season

FFC1987

Take the payoff, go retire and enjoy it mate. He deserves it.

Grassy Noel

Quote from: FFC1987 on February 15, 2024, 01:31:26 PMTake the payoff, go retire and enjoy it mate. He deserves it.

Some club seeking salvation from relegation will look him up in March and offer him a short-term job. Big Sam is not acceptable to some clubs.

FFC1987

Quote from: Grassy Noel on February 15, 2024, 02:19:54 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on February 15, 2024, 01:31:26 PMTake the payoff, go retire and enjoy it mate. He deserves it.

Some club seeking salvation from relegation will look him up in March and offer him a short-term job. Big Sam is not acceptable to some clubs.

Probably, I just hate seeing him so frail and stressed. He just needs to retire and enjoy it man. He's had such an amazing career and I can't imagine its money bringing him back.

Southcoastffc

Crystal Palace say manager Roy Hodgson was "taken ill" during training on Thursday morning.

I hope it's a tactical illness and nothing serious.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Grassy Noel

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on February 15, 2024, 01:25:05 PMTo be replaced by ex Eintracht Frankfurt manager who won the Europa League.

So Squadron Leader Parker (4 stripes) is till waiting for a new commission?

Holders

It's a great shame if his proud and illustrious career should end in that way. He deserves to choose his own time to hang up his metaphorical boots.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

H4usuallysitting

Hope Roy's alright - he wasn't very well earlier

Twig

I regard Roy as one of the great British managers of the modern era, his achievements over his career are remarkable. Given all he has done for Palace I think they owe him the right to leave on his own terms but sadly there is little such loyalty or integrity in the game these days.

Get well Roy and enjoy retirement. If you want to stay in the game do a bit of punditry or freelance consultancy. Anything to reduce the stress levels!

bog

I just read that Roy was taken ill at training this morning.  Whatever has happened, good luck Roy.

mrmicawbers

Such a shame it is going to finish like that.Will have to pay up his contract. Not sure what his contract was but sure he would have liked to finish it in style.Hope he's OK but can't imagine him taking up bowls.
Best wishes Sir Roy.

HV71

Quote from: Twig on February 15, 2024, 03:01:07 PMI regard Roy as one of the great British managers of the modern era, his achievements over his career are remarkable. Given all he has done for Palace I think they owe him the right to leave on his own terms but sadly there is little such loyalty or integrity in the game these days.

Get well Roy and enjoy retirement. If you want to stay in the game do a bit of punditry or freelance consultancy. Anything to reduce the stress levels!

Completely agree with this. The man loves the game so much the least he deserves is to be asked to move upstairs and act as a consultant to the Club he has served so admirably and supports

Best of luck Roy

ron

Absolutely. We've just heard that he's been taken ill at a training session. He doesn't need stress at 76..just a quiet and well earned retirement, knowing he has the eternal gratitude of many of us.

deadcowboys

If Roy goes then I guess so will Ray. Both deserve better.

Slaphead in Qatar

For those saying Roy should retire - I agree.

But its not that easy - he comes back because he clearly still enjoys it

Lighthouse

Well Roy doesn't financially need to work. He does it because he loves the job and the game. There may be a time very soon that he will say enough is enough. But there may be a place somewhere where he can still be involved in football without the wear and strain of management.

He is possibly the last of the old school of manager. Gentleman and scholar and wise and knowledgeable. Hope he is well soon and hope he is able to do whatever he wants to do. Football is changing for the worse and we can ill afford to lose managers like Roy from the game unless it is his decision.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Somerset Fulham

perry geyton

Quote from: Twig on February 15, 2024, 03:01:07 PMI regard Roy as one of the great British managers of the modern era, his achievements over his career are remarkable. Given all he has done for Palace I think they owe him the right to leave on his own terms but sadly there is little such loyalty or integrity in the game these days.

Hope he's OK

Wasn't good at managing big teams unfortunately but he definitely got the most out of lesser teams, palace & Fulham

His time at Liverpool & England were massive failures, the Scousers didn't give him a chance but with England he was terrible ...

sarnian

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 15, 2024, 04:40:39 PMWell Roy doesn't financially need to work. He does it because he loves the job and the game. There may be a time very soon that he will say enough is enough. But there may be a place somewhere where he can still be involved in football without the wear and strain of management.

He is possibly the last of the old school of manager. Gentleman and scholar and wise and knowledgeable. Hope he is well soon and hope he is able to do whatever he wants to do. Football is changing for the worse and we can ill afford to lose managers like Roy from the game unless it is his decision.

I know where Roy is coming from by continuing working. I am 78 and still work, nothing manual but the job can still be stressful.  With nothing to do and keep my mind occupied I would be bored stiff. I used to play golf but unfortunately leg problems have put an end to that. Luckily I can still fly in for home games and manage the walk through Bishops Park.

AJW48361

Palace what a Shithouse of a Club deserve Relegation on their Handling of Roy Roy the were unworthy of him.