watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where have you lived abroad before?

Started by Sammyffc, February 22, 2024, 06:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammyffc

Curious as im thinking of going to Italy for a while or Portugal, wondering if anyone has been there? I was thinking of Naples!

I have lived in Australia ( Sydney ) , New Zealand (Auckland), Taiwan (Taipei), Phillippines (BGC/Makati) for quite a few years all for work so if anyone needs advice then let me know! ::scarf::

cmg

Try Somalia, Algeria or Libya
Nice and sunny and there's no extradition from there so you could settle down.

Slaphead in Qatar

Well you know where I have lived.

Would recommend to everyone to live overseas for a while - it's all part of life's experiences

jarv

Canada, 1 year, USA 33 years, Holland 3 months.

onecupsoon

Lived in:
Copenhagen nearly 5 years
Eidsvoll (Norway) 2 years
Minneapolis 2 years
Tokyo 9 years & 2 years
Manila 9 years
Quarteira (Algarve) 6 years and counting.

70 countries visited (some for months and still adding a few every year) but decided to finish up in the Algarve.  Sunshine, golf, nice wine, safe and cheap. Easy access to Sky/TNT, currently two primera league teams in Farense and Portimonense, nice mix of expats, easy living with locals all speaking great english.  Regular drives into Spain, 40 minutes to the border, Seville's a great city 2 hours away.

I miss the Cottage from my youth but look forward to more Fulham pre-season friendlies down here.  I enjoyed Nice and less so Benfica.

Spent an enjoyable time just south of Naples (Torre del Greco) in my youth, nice with a scooter to get further down the coast. I still drive to Northern Italy sometimes but for me it would be Portugal.

Enjoy wherever you end up.

Somerset Fulham

Nowhere, but I hugely regret missing the chance to move to Sydney or ACT when I had it.

filham

Just 3 months in Malaya, a month in Peru, a few weeks in Bhagdad, and a Month in Peru.
Stay well clear of Bhagdad but Malaya is delightful.

Snibbo

Wales  ::wink:: , Ireland, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Ireland again, Australia (Adelaide), Vietnam (Danang), Adelaide again.

You don't really get to know a country on holiday. You only really get to know it, if at all, by living there.

Shredhead

3 years in Trinidad.
I visit Portugal most years. Since 2019, it's been Lagos in the Algarve. Nearly bought a flat there, but covid, Brexit & my mum's dementia put paid to that. Would love to live there in the winter, returning to UK for the summer months.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

ianthailand

Lived 18 months Lorca, Murcia Province, Spain although had Finca (Farm House) for 7 years. 5 Months Teiling, China and now 14 years Samrong North, Samutprakarn Province/Sangkha, Surin Province, Thailand.
Thailand is just out of this world tremendous. Great people, Weather, Food. Used to get Asthma (May- Sept) in England, been 14 years 3 months asthma free. To be fair Lorca was the same, China same as England.

lamby

I lived overseas in this nice place called Fulham! I was around the corner from the Crabtree. I ended up being a season ticket holder in the Hammy end (cheap seats next to the river) during the Roy era.

I have also lived in Adelaide and then Melbourne. 

RaySmith

Just reading that it's much harder to move to Portugal now, with Brexit.

Only lived in Glasgow, Scotland myself, definitely a foreign country imo!

akf

Originally from Connecticut, spent 3 years in the Japanese countryside outside of Kyoto after college, a couple years in London in the mid 2000s, and in Tokyo for the past 12 years

alfie

Quote from: ianthailand on February 23, 2024, 01:58:35 AMLived 18 months Lorca, Murcia Province, Spain although had Finca (Farm House) for 7 years. 5 Months Teiling, China and now 14 years Samrong North, Samutprakarn Province/Sangkha, Surin Province, Thailand.
Thailand is just out of this world tremendous. Great people, Weather, Food. Used to get Asthma (May- Sept) in England, been 14 years 3 months asthma free. To be fair Lorca was the same, China same as England.
I could happily live there, Hua Hin for me.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ianthailand

Quote from: alfie on February 23, 2024, 09:10:08 AM
Quote from: ianthailand on February 23, 2024, 01:58:35 AMLived 18 months Lorca, Murcia Province, Spain although had Finca (Farm House) for 7 years. 5 Months Teiling, China and now 14 years Samrong North, Samutprakarn Province/Sangkha, Surin Province, Thailand.
I could happily live there, Hua Hin for me.

I like the quiet life so Hua Hin not for me. I read novels and listen to Football Podcasts, take the Dog for a walk early morning and i'm happy as a Pig in effluent. I think also, though i've never been to Hua Hin, there would be too many farang (foreigners) for my liking. Each to their own though Alfie, hope you get the chance one day.

filham

As for the best place we have lived, it has to be home of course.

Jaguar2013

Used to live in Hua Hin for 3 months each year prior to Covid then UK for a couple of months then to Spain for summer. Now just UK and Spain but hope to go back to Hua Hin next year.

Southdowns White

Spent a year in Perth Australia, great in the winter, Summer is too hot really enjoy during the daytime. Played football out there, nice social life if you look for it. Very family orientated city, a bit too far from anywhere else though. Popping over to Vietnam, Cambodia and a tiny bit of Thailand later in the year to see how it's changed recently. Will be wearing my subtle Fulham t shirts when out and about.

ElRay

Iasi, Romania. Beautiful city, but did get quite repetitive as there is a not much to do besides go to the Mall really.

Actually saw a kid there wearing 2012/13 Fulham Kappa shirt, they have a lot of 2nd hand British clothing stores there so I assume that's where he got it & wasn't a fan but it was a shock haha

St Eve

Quote from: onecupsoon on February 22, 2024, 08:03:52 PMLived in:
Copenhagen nearly 5 years
Eidsvoll (Norway) 2 years
Minneapolis 2 years
Tokyo 9 years & 2 years
Manila 9 years
Quarteira (Algarve) 6 years and counting.

70 countries visited (some for months and still adding a few every year) but decided to finish up in the Algarve.  Sunshine, golf, nice wine, safe and cheap. Easy access to Sky/TNT, currently two primera league teams in Farense and Portimonense, nice mix of expats, easy living with locals all speaking great english.  Regular drives into Spain, 40 minutes to the border, Seville's a great city 2 hours away.

I miss the Cottage from my youth but look forward to more Fulham pre-season friendlies down here.  I enjoyed Nice and less so Benfica.

Spent an enjoyable time just south of Naples (Torre del Greco) in my youth, nice with a scooter to get further down the coast. I still drive to Northern Italy sometimes but for me it would be Portugal.

Enjoy wherever you end up.

Sounds like you are on the run! Just as well that's not your real name! Or is it!