watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Palhinha- supension

Started by Thailand Mick, March 20, 2024, 09:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thailand Mick

So, with nine games to go he is 3 yellow cards away from a 3-match suspension, how should we handle the situation?
Should Marco look to take him off in games that seem to be won or lost if he hasn't already received a card. The last thing we want is to start next season with him missing the first three games. We have shown this season we can win without him but if we have any hope of a European place, I believe we have to beat Newcastle and West Ham so will need our strongest team in those games.

ffcthereligion

Is this correct? I was unaware of the 15 card threshold for a 3 game ban and was googling to try and verify this but no luck. Happy to be put right!

Sting of the North

Quote from: ffcthereligion on March 20, 2024, 10:32:15 AMIs this correct? I was unaware of the 15 card threshold for a 3 game ban and was googling to try and verify this but no luck. Happy to be put right!

It is indeed correct, I checked the FA website, easiest to find here
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/player-essentials

I think it is what it is, and if it happens it happens. However, of course if games are already over (which however is rare) then maybe take him off earlier. And if by the last game or so our position in the final table is clear there may be a case of not risking it. But in general I don't think we can take this inte account much, since we want to win every match.

Carborundum

He's too good for his own good.  Saturdays yellow card came after Lukic made two failed attempts to stop a Spurs player, after which Palhinha neatly showed him how to do it. Ref was bound to dish a card out after what amounted to a cumulative mugging.  Couldn't help thinking Lukic deserved the card for being ineffectual.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 20, 2024, 10:47:32 AM
Quote from: ffcthereligion on March 20, 2024, 10:32:15 AMIs this correct? I was unaware of the 15 card threshold for a 3 game ban and was googling to try and verify this but no luck. Happy to be put right!

It is indeed correct, I checked the FA website, easiest to find here
https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/player-essentials

I think it is what it is, and if it happens it happens. However, of course if games are already over (which however is rare) then maybe take him off earlier. And if by the last game or so our position in the final table is clear there may be a case of not risking it. But in general I don't think we can take this inte account much, since we want to win every match.

Not news that I can 'like' so I will just say, thanks!

filham

The rate at which Palhinha picks up yellows is a real downside to his game. Silva needs to coach him into being just that little bit more careful.

LC

The funny thing is he's not a dirty player, he's a tough tackler yes, but he just picks up silly cards for nothing.

But yes, if the game is won take him off. If we want to try and near a European place he needs to play all remaining games

demeant0r

The issue (not really an issue, more like by design) is that he's involved in so many tackles in each and every game, more than any player in the league. It only takes one rough or clumsy tackle to get booked. If you extrapolate it over the entire season, it would be a miracle if he had less than 10 cards.

The Rational Fan

Palhina will take six to seven games to get three cards and hence suspended so he'll miss the last two or three games which might help Man City win the title, Luton stay up and Palhihna get an end of season rest. If this happens, then who is the suspension punishing.

RaySmith

Quote from: filham on March 20, 2024, 02:45:33 PMThe rate at which Palhinha picks up yellows is a real downside to his game. Silva needs to coach him into being just that little bit more careful.

The thing is, if he's more/too cautious, will it negatively impact his game, which is very much to do with aggression and desire-he wants to win every challenge, stop the other team scoring, win every game -
as well as strength and fitness, and skill.

He's someone who sees a threat, and goes in quickly to deal with it, without thinking about it.

Not a dirty player, but, as said, he makes so many tackles, under the present attitude to tackling, which always makes someone putting in strong defensive challenges at risk from many refs;
and a player is bound to commit some fouls through mistiming, as well as being penalised just for going in strongly, with no  actual foul apparent to spectators - then there is, of course, players diving if Palhinha goes near them!

Depends, perhaps, on whether  the manager, fans, etc think it worth  the suspensions, to have him at his imperious, defending best.

He obviously won't like being suspended so often, and nor  will club and fans, and I'm sure he's discussed this with Marco.

hovewhite

He's best on the pitch let him accumulate the cards but don't nute him  and take whatever càrd punishment as 3 cards could take 6 games which aren't all tough games also we win without him now as lukic is up to speed if not as effective.

S.F.Sorrow

Another (not unlikely) scenario is that the he will be sold during the summer window. If that's the case, who cares?

Don't get me wrong, I hope he stays. Interest from bigger clubs seems to have cooled off a bit as he hasn't quite played at the same level as last season (still VERY good though). But I think there's a good chance he will leave this summer.

In my opinion he needs to start every game as long as he's available. There are no easy games in this division. Sheff Utd away after thrashing Spurs AND an international break has Fulhamish written all over it.

Bassey the warrior

This is the price of having Palhinha, he'll make a number of vital tackles and interceptions but given the pace and trickery of some Premier League players he'll inevitably make fouls and it all tallies up. I think the only way to avoid it is to keep hold of the ball better so he doesn't need to do it so often.

If you tell him not to dive in then he won't be as effective.

cmg

Quote from: Bassey the warrior on March 21, 2024, 05:03:14 PMThis is the price of having Palhinha, he'll make a number of vital tackles and interceptions but given the pace and trickery of some Premier League players he'll inevitably make fouls and it all tallies up. I think the only way to avoid it is to keep hold of the ball better so he doesn't need to do it so often.

If you tell him not to dive in then he won't be as effective.

Yup.
Players of Palhinha's type are bound to attract yellows. Just have to accept it as part of the package.
A decent cover, which we seem to have, is the way to deal with the occasional suspension.

perry geyton

Def gonna need him to
Get a result against Liverpool & City at home

Chi_FFC

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on March 21, 2024, 09:52:22 AMDon't get me wrong, I hope he stays. Interest from bigger clubs seems to have cooled off a bit as he hasn't quite played at the same level as last season (still VERY good though).

Eh, he's played every bit as well this season as he did last (if not a little better...he's certainly better in most statistical categories this season).

Jim©

If you look at the tackles per yellow cards he gets, I'd imagine he is about par for the course.
Last season he made 148 tackles. Next closest was about 45 behind.
If you coach it out of him, you lose some of the bite that makes him brilliant.

alfie

I think he is an absolutely fantastic player, but also a dangerous player, one day one of his mistimed tackles could seriously injure a player. Some players go in with the intention to hurt, he does not do that (that is an assumption as we don't know what he is thinking), he goes in with the intention to win the ball.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

gang

Is he still going to be here next season?

SuffolkWhite

I have said before, if he played for atop 6 club I think he would get less cards.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"