watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

England V Belgium

Started by filham, March 26, 2024, 10:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimbleman

Quote from: Dodgin on March 26, 2024, 09:52:42 PMVery enjoyable game deserved the draw. Southgate may well have some hard choices on squad selection.
Yes I enjoyed watching that. Thought both teams could have won it but a draw was probably about right.
England definitely played the more intricate football with Belgium largely playing long ball counter attacks.
Thought Castagne had a very tidy match (full 90 minutes too). He really is a very good player and as much as I love Kenny arguably has been an upgrade at right back for us (but marginally so as both are excellent).

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: btffc on March 27, 2024, 09:03:55 AM
Quote from: Bassey the warrior on March 27, 2024, 08:40:46 AM
Quote from: btffc on March 27, 2024, 08:10:20 AMAgree that England need to be playing Bellingham deeper next to Rice with Foden or Maddison in front. Just not enough creativity with Rice + Mainoo/Gallagher then Bellingham in the 10. Maybe it's not quite defensive enough but I think the sacrifice has to be made. Looked 10x more dangerous as soon as Maddison came on and slotted into the number 10 role and he created the 2nd goal. Gallagher is fairly useless as an 8. He is a box crashing and pressing 10 which England should never be playing. And while Mainoo is likely a future superstar he just isn't involved enough right now.

If Southgate wants to be the stagnant and restrictive allegations, he needs to move Bellingham deeper and play a another creative midfielder. It may not maximize Jude's talent but it does maximize the team.

Bellingham won't get goals if he's deeper.

Not as many that's for sure but he is the only player England have right now capable of being the creative 8 next to Rice that's necessary to make the rest of the team work so for me it feels like a needed sacrifice.

I thought Mainoo looked good. Bellingham will be far more effective for England in that shadow striker role than as an 8.

Bassey the warrior

We have four excellent left footed right wingers when only one can start, Foden is less effective on the left.

Conversely there's a distinct lack of quality left footers in defence. Both Chilwell and Dunk have been poor at the back. If we're going to have such an attacking left back we need someone quicker than Maguire to cover for him, that could've been Branthwaite, I'm disappointed he didn't get the chance to stake his claim.

blingo

Last minute draw against a very average team. If we don't change the manager we will never win anything.

White Knight

I thought England never gave up and kept fighting till the end. We gave them both their goals and they still couldnt beat us.
Plus we had a lot of players unavailable so it showed we have some good youngsters coming through.

Woolly Mammoth

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Yes i enjoyed the game and we had most of the possession.
Bowen ran his socks off and Toney showed his qualities.
Bellingham only 20 showed he is world class and was targeted again by opponents consistently fouling him because they are afraid what he can do, he is so dangerous.
As for Kobbie Mainoo he was absolute quality on his debut at 18.
Add Gordon and Palmer coming through and not forgetting Braithwaite there is competition for places.
We always look good going forward at pace.
My main two concerns is the defence that needs surgery asap and Southgate, he is too cautious and reactive at times and his perceived system of play slows the tempo down.
With the quality of players at his disposal we are far better playing at a fast tempo, Southgate at times seems to be sleep walking and there must be many managers who are more proactive and wish they could have the opportunity to manage the England team. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Nick Bateman

England deserved at least a draw and it was a spirited performance and face-saving result. Lewis Dunk is not good enough at this level, despte the desire to play one Brighton player because of the media love-in for DeZerbi. Maddison did a smart assist for Bellingham who finally made up for the earlier chances he missed.

England's new high press is an improvement from our previous send people to sleep style we bored the nation with. We have a chance of doing something in the upcoming tournament.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

alfie

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 27, 2024, 03:18:13 PMEngland deserved at least a draw and it was a spirited performance and face-saving result. Lewis Dunk is not good enough at this level, despte the desire to play one Brighton player because of the media love-in for DeZerbi. Maddison did a smart assist for Bellingham who finally made up for the earlier chances he missed.

England's new high press is an improvement from our previous send people to sleep style we bored the nation with. We have a chance of doing something in the upcoming tournament.
Trouble is there aren't that many decent English defenders to choose from.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on March 27, 2024, 05:11:52 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 27, 2024, 03:18:13 PMEngland deserved at least a draw and it was a spirited performance and face-saving result. Lewis Dunk is not good enough at this level, despte the desire to play one Brighton player because of the media love-in for DeZerbi. Maddison did a smart assist for Bellingham who finally made up for the earlier chances he missed.

Branthwaite was on the bench and the gormless Southgate didn't even give him a run out.
Southgate is the weakest link.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 28, 2024, 04:08:57 AM
Quote from: alfie on March 27, 2024, 05:11:52 PM

Branthwaite was on the bench and the gormless Southgate didn't even give him a run out.
Southgate is the weakest link.

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

Even when paying a compliment you can't resist the urge to have a dig at something or someone. Relax, you'll live longer.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: White Knight on March 27, 2024, 12:33:03 PMI thought England never gave up and kept fighting till the end. We gave them both their goals and they still couldnt beat us.
Plus we had a lot of players unavailable so it showed we have some good youngsters coming through.

We gave them the goals and came back which is great, but we did look very open at the back. I really fear for that left side, Dunk and Chilwell looked vulnerable and we know Maguire is very easy to bypass.

Assuming Maguire and Stones both start, I'd switch them, that way Walker can cover for Maguire when we get countered.

wback

I don't think England realise just how lucky they are to have Bellingham. He's already great, but he's actually going to be the English Zidane, and, as such, the dominant individual player in world football for much of the next 10 years. He'll need a good team around him to win anything, but unlike previous 'waves' of England teams, where a good group fades away and the replacements aren't as strong, that doesn't look to be the case here at all.

By 2026, I think Branthwaite and Quansah will be in the squad/team, and Maguire will be a thing of the past, Rico Lewis will be playing left back and Reece James will be back on the right with Saka, and Mainoo will have taken up the midfield role.

There's no obvious world class replacement for Kane yet as he gets older - that'll end up being the one missing piece.

The team's going to be quick, strong and highly skilful. Really looking forward to the next few years.

Jims Dentist

Jims Dentist

filham

Quote from: blingo on March 27, 2024, 12:17:46 PMLast minute draw against a very average team. If we don't change the manager we will never win anything.
[/quote

Or change the tactics, England played all but the final minute of international standard Parker Ball with that final long ball into the box earning the draw.