Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (25.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 25, 2011, 06:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Bolton shoot to the front of SWP queue

Published 23:00 24/01/11

By Alan Nixon

Bolton boss Owen Coyle has shot to the head of the chase for Shaun Wright-Phillips - because he is a FAN of the Wanderers style.

Coyle hopes to beat Fulham and Newcastle in the chase for the Manchester City star and his chances were boosted when he turned up to watch them from the VIP seats last night.

Wright-Phillips has been discussing a switch to Fulham for the past week but would prefer to join Bolton.

Coyle's footballing philosophy ticks the boxes with Wright-Phillips who is also happy in the north west and close pals with Bolton centre half Zat Knight.

Bolton would take Wright-Phillips for the rest of the season if City drop their demands for any deal to be a full-time sale or a loan with a guaranteed buy in the summer.

Coyle would also need City to sponsor some of little Wright-Phillips's king-size wages but the fact that the player is keen to join Bolton is in his favour.

The Wanderers chief has just landed David Wheater froM Middlesbrough and is waiting on an answer from Arsenal on his loan bid for Carlos Vela although the striker may prefer to go to Spain.

Coyle has two vacancies for Premier League loans and wants to use them to boost his paper-thin squad and stop them slipping down the table.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Bolton-shoot-to-the-front-of-th-Shaun-Wright-Phillips-queue-ahead-of-Fulham-and-Newcastle-article681097.html#ixzz1C1iUnOop

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6699447,00.html

Fulham fail in keeper offer

Trelleborg prepared to sell Noring for the right price

By Kent Hedlundh   

Last updated: 24th January 2011   

Swedish side Trelleborg have rejected an offer from Fulham for teenage goalkeeper Viktor Noring following a recent trial.

Noring trained with the Premier League club earlier this month and did enough to impress manager Mark Hughes to warrant an offer.

However, Trelleborg have turned down the Cottagers' opening gambit just a week before the January transfer window closes.

Trelleborg spokesman Stefan Nilsson has confirmed Fulham want to sign the 19-year-old before the end of the month, but is unsure if an agreement can be reached.

Nilsson told Sportbladet: "If we reach an agreement, they want him before the end of January, but it has to be right for all parties."

Meanwhile, Fulham striker David Elm is expected to sign a four-year contract to join Swedish club Elfsborg on Tuesday.

White Noise

Liverpool's Ryan Babel's off to Hoffenheim but deal for Luis Suarez hits deadlock

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 1:36 AM on 25th January 2011

Hoffenheim were closing in on a deal for Liverpool's Ryan Babel last night, heading off interest in the striker from Sunderland and Fulham.

The Holland star has made it clear his preference would be to rejoin Ajax but they have shown little interest in taking him as they push for £25million in straight cash from Liverpool for Luis Suarez.

Hoffenheim have now offered £7m, rising to £8m on performances and a deal worth £70,000 a week for the 24-year-old.

Revolving door: Babel looks to be heading for the exit but will Suarez replace him?

The Anfield club accepted Hoffenheim's offer last week but the player had returned to Liverpool, where he resumed training.

Personal terms have now been settled, though, and a Liverpool statement last night read: 'Ryan Babel has agreed a move to Hoffenheim. The Dutch international will fly to Germany to finalise the deal.

'The move comes six days after Liverpool accepted a bid for the 24-year-old striker.'

Sunderland and Fulham will be disappointed as both strive to find suitable strikers. Sunderland were also rebuffed in a £3m offer for West Ham's Frederic Piquionne on Monday and continue to negotiate over Stoke's Ricardo Fuller.

Liverpool, meanwhile, are considering their options after talks over Suarez stalled and Babel could still figure in negotiations if the Hoffenheim deal collapses.

Damien Comolli, Liverpool's director of football strategy, held a brief meeting in Amsterdam with Ajax general director Rik van den Boog, who told him the Dutch club would not consider an offer below £25m for Suarez. Ajax claim Liverpool have offered only £12.7m.

An Ajax spokesman said: 'We'll have to wait for them to come back with something more respectful. If you compare the £12.7m Liverpool want to pay for Suarez with other transfers you can imagine that it's far too low for us.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1350236/Ryan-Babels-Hoffenheim-deal-Luis-Suarez-hits-deadlock.html#ixzz1C1jgRirt

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/24/2321650/official-striker-david-elm-joins-if-elfsborg-from-fulham

Official: Striker David Elm joins IF Elfsborg from Fulham

Swede only managed one goal for Cottagers

By Alex Fisher

24 Jan 2011 23:27:00

Fulham have today confirmed that they have come to an agreement with IF Elfsborg over the sale of striker David Elm who has signed a five year contract with the Swedish club.

Elm arrived at Craven Cottage in July 2009 from Kalmar FF for an undisclosed fee but only made 10 appearances for the club, scoring one goal.

He has struggled to make an impact on the club's first team and with the return to fitness of Andy Johnson, combined with the form of Moussa Dembele, Diomansy Kamara and Clint Dempsey the Swede has found his opportunities further reduced and manager Mark Hughes has let him return to his homeland to gain regular first team football.

"Fulham Football Club can confirm the permanent transfer of David Elm to Swedish side IF Elfsborg as of February 1," they confirmed on their club website.

"We would like to thank David for his services and wish him all the best for the future."

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/01/gatesys-roundup-that-can-boogie/

Gatesy's Roundup That Can Boogie

by gatesy on January 24, 2011

A busy weekend of Premier League action with a surprisingly large amount of braces being scored by players left right and center. We managed to carry on our decent run of form since the shambles that was the Boxing Day defeat to Wham. David Stockdale continued his run of being unbeaten in all of his appearances this season. I imagine he'll attribute this fine run down to his now traditional night before the game ritual of visiting Nandos. The whole team put in a good shift, with our completed pass rate hitting 81% at full time – only the top four clubs managed to best that.

Dempsey causes the Potters problems.

Although Pennant failed to make the starting XI for Stoke, we should probably just be glad he remembered to show up for the game. After his failed time in Spain he returned to the midlands only to completely forget he'd left his £90,000 car in a station car park out there until the club reminded him about it. One fella who certainly did turn up was Potters Captain Ryan Shawcroft. Tony Pulis has long defended the centre back and stuck up for him saying that he's not a dirty kinda player.

"Ryan is a smashing lad, he comes from a lovely family. He is not that type of lad, not that type of player"

Fellow Stoke player Danny Pugh also backs up this club line, this time after he broke Arron Ramseys leg:

"There was no malicious intent from Ryan, he's not that kind of player"

The eagle eyed fans at the Cottage on Saturday may have spotted Shawcross picking up his third red card in 11 months. But he's not that kind of player. Honest.

Wham managed to pick up a point, which is good work considering they were leading Everton twice. Now it's quite unlike the club and their fans to whinge about anything, even when they have no reason to, but they've managed it again this weekend. After scoring what he thought was the winner, Piquenne leapt into the hordes of the gathered cockneys to celebrate. He was given a booking for his troubles, as Andrew Johnson was at Wigan, as the letter of the law says. However as this was his second booking of the game he was shown the exit. Much to my amusement. Not everybody had as much of a belly laugh at this as I did, with soon-to-be-Hammers-ex-manager Grant mouthing off saying:

"Next time I will tell my players to go to a funeral when they score...He scored a goal and went to celebrate with the supporters. He has not done anything wrong – he went to celebrate with the people who deserve to more than anybody. "

We'll ignore the fact that the rule is there to ensure the crowds safety and also ignore the fact that Grant has put his weight behind their move to the Olympic Stadium, where a player would have to use a connecting flight to bridge the running track and reach the supporters to celebrate with them...

Man Yoo continued to knock goals in for fun, and assist my charge up the HammyEnd fantasy football league, with a five-nil drubbing of Brum. While a lot has been made of Berbatov's goals, and the possibility of the reds going a season unbeaten the big story today was that midfielder Anderson has refused to cut his hair:

"There is no chance I would ever consider having all my hair cut off. My hair is my life. It's so important to me. If you cut off my hair, it is like cutting out my ear or cutting off my legs. I would cry for days and days"

Arsenal kept the pressure up on them with a 3-0 home win over Wigan, with Latics 'keeper Al Habsi playing a blinder and managing to keepthe score respectable. Man City Stumbled to a one-nil defeat to Aston Villa with Darren Bent scoring on his Villains debut after his move from Sunderland.  And talking of him, Steve Bruce has said it's time for the Black Cats to move on and get over his departure:

"The one thing I have learned about the squad is that in adversity they will always respond,"

And that they did with a 2-1 win at Blackpool, with Kieran Richardson (remember him?!) scoring a brace. After the game it was all talk about a possible transfer for Charlie Adam after word got out of three transfer bids already turned down before the news on Monday that the player's asked for a move. This probably could have come at a better time, with the sea-siders set to face Man Yoo on Tuesday night. Back before the original fixture date, just after United had spanked Blackburn, they were pretty much thumbing their nose at the Reds giving it the big come on. Ian Evatt thought he'd set himself up for a fall by saying:

"I noticed Dimitar Berbatov scored five on Saturday. Let's see if he can score five against us. I don't think so"

Not finished there yet:

"United may have beaten Blackburn 7-1 but they have not come to Bloomfield Road yet"

He's either VERY confident or VERY stupid...

Spuds managed a last gasp equaliser at the other St James Park, while there were wins for both Liverpool against Wolves and Blackburn over the Baggies.

A female? At a football game? Has the world gone quite mad??
Overshadowing a lot of the action this weekend was Sky Sports' hairy handed presenter Richard Keys and Andy Grays discussing female lineswoman, Sian Massey. Now, I don't have a problem with, and actually encourage, the presenting team to make more sexy comments about officials, but with them both been suspended for tonight's coverage if I'm subjected to Redknapp Jnr fawning over his cousin I shall be most annoyed.

And the reason he may be doing that is because tonight's Monday Night Football (probably without sexy comments directed at the officials) is Bolton Versus Chelsea.

Wednesday night sees us travel up to Scouseland for our rearranged game at Liverpool. Handily re-scheduled for after Uncle Roy has left and just as they seem to be finding form again. Then it's Cup action at the weekend when the luckiest team in the world, Spuds visit our gaff. This'll be fun...

White Noise

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Fulham-visiting-Liverpool-~-Match-Preview.aspx

Fulham visiting Liverpool ~ Match Preview

last updated Monday 24th January 2011, 6:00 PM

These sides were due to meet just before Christmas and then Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson must have looked forward to the visit of his former club, as it would probably have been the only time he would have heard his name sung in a positive manner at Anfield - albeit from the away end.

His name is now but a bitter memory for Liverpool fans whose new saviour, 'King' Kenny Dalglish, showed signs on Saturday that he might be able to get the best out of an underperforming squad and help turn around one of the most disastrous seasons in the club's illustrious history.

Their display in the 3-0 win at Wolves was far from perfect, but the players showed a commitment, hunger and bite that has so often been absent this season. Even Fernando Torres rose from the doldrums to score twice in a performance that dampened rumours that he wants to leave.

Fulham's record at Anfield is derisory - not a single win in 29 visits and some fearful beatings along the way, including the infamous club record 10-0 thrashing 25 years ago.

But when the Cottagers were under the stewardship of Hodgson, and playing a brand of football that the Reds' faithful would go on to quickly despise, they eked out two successive 0-0 draws at Anfield. Manager Mark Hughes will be desperate for his side to go one better and finally end their Merseyside hoodoo, and they are well placed to do so given a recent run of form that has seen them win three of their last five league games.

MATCH FACTS

•Four of the nine Premier League games at Anfield between these sides have ended as goalless draws, including the last two.

•Liverpool have kept six clean sheets in their last eight meetings with Fulham.

•Fulham have yet to beat Liverpool at Anfield in 29 attempts.

•This will be the 60th time Fulham and Liverpool have met. Liverpool lead by 33 wins to 10, with 16 draws.

•Liverpool have conceded 31 goals in the league so far - they conceded a total of 35 goals in the whole of last season.

•This is the first time since the 1992-93 season that they have a negative goal difference after 23 league matches.

•Goalkeeper David Stockdale is proving to be a lucky omen for Mark Hughes's men - they have not lost in any of his eight appearances this season.

•Fulham have not won any on their previous 18 Premier League visits to Merseyside to play either Everton or Liverpool.

•There have been a total of 20 goals scored in the club's 11 matches away from home this season, which is fewer than in any other club's away games.

White Noise

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8201654

Senioroos should stay on: Schwarzer

By Liam FitzGibbon

14:50 AEST Tue Jan 25 2011

Amid calls for a rejuvenation of the Socceroos after the Asian Cup, Australia's oldest player Mark Schwarzer believes the side's veterans should be kept around to play an important part in the process.

The Socceroos march towards Asian Cup glory continues on Wednesday morning (AEDT) with a semi-final clash with Uzbekistan but some pundits are looking further down the track.

There have been calls for an overhaul of the squad after the tournament in Qatar in order to put the building blocks in place for the road towards the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Many expected the Asian Cup to feature more new faces but Socceroos coach Holger Osieck signalled his intent to win the tournament by picking a strong, experienced side.

And with several of the Socceroos' senior players signalling their intent to hang around for the next World Cup cycle, the immediate future of the squad remains unclear.

But goalkeeper Schwarzer, Australia's longest-serving national player, said he wanted to see the best players continuing to be selected regardless of age.

"I think it's important to pick players on merit," Schwarzer said.

"I get the idea of trying to look at the future and trying to build, but how far do you keep building for?

"How often do you keep changing and building for the future? You're always judged on each game.

"If you can bring in the odd young player here or there, and bleed them into the side and give them the opportunity to play at senior level with the senior players around them and the experienced players around them, that actually helps them.

"Far, far more than playing a side that is relatively inexperienced and are really struggling to come to terms with it."

Schwarzer, captain Lucas Neill, Tim Cahill and Brett Emerton are among a core group of senior players which has signalled its in intent to continue playing for Australia beyond the Asian Cup.

While it's highly unlikely all will be at the 2014 World Cup , should Australia qualify, Schwarzer believes they can still pave the road to Brazil and help develop new talent along the way.

"It's invaluable to have the senior players and experienced players there, provided they're still at the top of their game and they're there on merit," he said.

"I'm all for just picking players on merit, without a doubt, not just because of who they are and where they're playing."

While the Asian Cup has proved Australia's senior stars still have plenty to offer, there have also been encouraging signs of fresh talent.

Matt McKay and Mile Jedinak are among those that continue to develop in national colours while Osieck has also taken a handful of youngsters along for the ride including Nathan Burns, Robbie Kruse, Tommy Oar and Matthew Spiranovic.

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_liverpool_v_fulham_26_jan_2011_624524/index.shtml

FM Preview: Liverpool v Fulham 26 Jan 2011

By Footymad Tuesday, 25th January 2011

This week FootyMad's match preview focuses on the game between Liverpool and Fulham at 20:00 on Wednesday, 26th January 2011 in the Premier League.

History of the Liverpool v Fulham fixture

Fulham face a trip to Liverpool at Anfield on Wednesday evening, looking to break their duck against the hosts. The Cottagers have lost on no less than 20 of the 29 visits.

The most recent encounter between these two sides was less than a year ago, in April 2010, when they played out a goalless draw in a Premier League match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:
2009/2010 Sun 11 Apr Liverpool 0 - 0 Fulham PREM
2009/2010 Sat 31 Oct Fulham 3 - 1 Liverpool PREM
2008/2009 Sat 04 Apr Fulham 0 - 1 Liverpool PREM
2008/2009 Sat 22 Nov Liverpool 0 - 0 Fulham PREM
2007/2008 Sat 19 Apr Fulham 0 - 2 Liverpool PREM
2007/2008 Sat 10 Nov Liverpool 2 - 0 Fulham PREM
2006/2007 Sat 05 May Fulham 1 - 0 Liverpool PREM

Recent respective form guides

Liverpool have been playing quite well at home, winning 3, drawing 2, and losing just 1. A total of 10 goals have been scored by the Reds in those games, with 4 conceded.

Fulham have an average recent record on the road, seeing them win just 1 and draw 2 of the last six. Only 4 goals have been registered in this time, with 5 leaked at the wrong end.

Liverpool see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 29 points from their 23 games played so far, Fulham find themselves struggling down in 14th position in the league having picked up 26 points from their 23 matches.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P
Liverpool 6 2 1 3 9 9 7
Fulham 6 4 1 1 14 4 13

FootyMad's prediction ...

Not a lot has been going right generally for Fulham on their travels as of late, but I can certainly see them gleaning a point from their game against Liverpool. No-score draw

Sequence statistics:
Liverpool No sequences of note
Fulham Not won in previous 2 away matches.
5 games since last defeat.

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/01/football-blogs/would-new-regulations-rid-the-premier-league-of-some-of-its-charm

Would new regulations rid the Premier League of some of its charm?

Date: 24th January 2011 at 7:42 pm |

Written by James McManus

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson launched a stinging attack on the state of Fulham's facilities yesterday which begs the question – should there be a set standard for the whole of the Premier League?

The answer, in short, is of course yes. We are treated daily to the sycophantic media trotting out the same tired line that the Premier League is the best league in the world. A somewhat myopic view if you ask me. But surely if the Premier League is as good as everyone says that it is, then there has to be set standards and rules with which clubs have to adhere to if they are to retain their status in the top flight.

The lower down the leagues that you go, certain stipulations are put in place by the relevant authorities. Some leagues demand that a stand be put in place, temporary or otherwise. Others demand that floodlights are placed around the ground to allow the fixture scheduling the flexibility to play week games and evening fixtures. It would seem crazy that there are no set rules for the Premier League, especially considering the money on offer each season.

It's very rarely that I agree with Alex Ferguson, but he makes a valid point. The actual quotes attributed to him state: "Fulham's dressing rooms when we played there this season were an absolute disgrace. It really was ridiculous. The room you got was no more than eight square yards. I think there should be standards; they are in the Premier Division. No matter what the Blackpool dressing room is like, it will not be as bad as Fulham's."

There are of course instances of the home side deliberately giving the away side a rubbish dressing room – the thinking behind this being that it'll unsettle the bigger club's pampered stars. Of course, this seems to have worked as Man Utd threw away the lead in the dying embers of the game to draw 2-2 to the hosts. But such cases of gamesmanship have to be consigned not only to the past but the scrap heap too if the Premier League is to truly take the tag of the best league in the world.

Standards have to be set. Whether that means imposing a minimum stadium capacity upon entry to the league I'm not so sure. But the facilities have to be right in the modern game, that much is clear. Craven Cottage is the only ground in the Premier League where the managers have to walk across the pitch in order to take their seat at the dugout. This is an archaic way of going about things and it smacks of a lack of professionalism.

It's clear that Craven Cottage could do with a lick of paint and a degree of modernising, I'm not wholly condoning the state of the ground and facilities, but it does take a lot to prompt a Premier League manager to come out and criticise another club's facilities, even one as fiery as Ferguson. This odd state of affairs will hopefully ensure that the Premier League declares a minimum of what is required of it's members.

Does Ferguson make a valid point? Should the Premier League enforce a bare minimum when it comes to facilities?

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/fulhams-dressing-room-et-al/

Fulham's dressing room, et al

Filed under: General — timmyg @ 6:30 pm

h/t to Bilet!

Okay, now I can see why Sir Alex complains about our dressing room. I don't agree with the whining, but my alma mater, the tiny Division 3 Goucher College, had a larger locker-room. My girlfriend said her high school's smallest locker-room was still bigger.

Anyway it just adds more charm to the sanctuary that is Craven Cottage. Oh, and are those training tops for sale at all? Wow they look sharp.

Interesting tidbit in today's Winners and Losers over at F365:

Fulham

Since the nadir of the Boxing Day defeat at home to West Ham, the Cottagers have bounced back with three wins in five. Their pass-completion percentage against Stoke finished at 81% – the highest of any top-flight side outside of the Champions League-qualifying places.

Perhaps it was the competition, or perhaps Hughes is truly having us playing "passing football"?

Lastly, and I could be wrong, but the current 4-point gap between us and the relegation zone is the largest since our win over Wolves in early September. Onwards and upwards...

(Rich here:  rare face in the crowd moment – that's me in the red (Indianapolis Indians) hat, Martin to my left (I am pointing out Murph on the halfway line at this very moment), Mary the row in front of Martin, and Toby is under Clint's arm in the grey.  Matthew (who spotted this) is hidden, poor man)

White Noise

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2011/01/last-on-motd-ful-2-0-sto.html

Last on MOTD - FUL 2 - 0 STO

Took a friend to his first ever Premier League match this weekend and with two goals, one penalty, a red card and the ball crashing against a post and a crossbar and plenty of humourous chants - it seemed a pretty good introduction. As it was for new signing Steven Sidwell - who was given 25 minutes against a dispirited 10-man team already two down.

Stoke were a very disappointing side. Other than Jones making a bit of a nuisance of himself in the first 15 minutes (and a set piece header from Shawcross that skipped merrily wide) Stoke had nothing. They were creatively bankrupt and even having Tuncay up front failed to rectify the matter. In fact when the Turk came off for the newly loaned Carew (so newly loaned that he didn't make the programme) it was more of a act of kindness. The two forwards will likely start in each other's places for the next game, not that Carew did anything outstanding.

Once Aaron Hughes had regained his composure against Stoke's big men, they rarely threatened unless set up by wayward defensive headers, and it was Fulham's small men that did most of the damage - Duff and Johnson were very impressive with their movement, ably assisted by the showing of Dempsey and Dembele drifting around the pitch. Murphy once again pulled the strings, but Duff was the standout player, giving a torrid time to Stoke's makeshift left back.

The second half was made far easier by an early goal (and a red card). Dempsey, despite my continual criticisms of his first touch, wondrously pulled a pass out of the air to slip between the Stoke centre halves to go through on goal when Shawcross showed his appreciation of Rugby by completely hauling him down inside the penalty area. Pulis ridiculously suggested that Dempsey was already on the way down (not that he hasn't got previous) but it was as simple a decision as it was possible to make - even Stuart Atwell got it right.

Stoke's defenders were the most 'grabby' I've seen of a team in many, many months, but at least those sort of fouls aren't dangerous.

Once Demps had converted, that was about it. Stoke become a slight parody of themselves by throwing on a few more giants and taking off the small quick wingers and just launched the ball in the air. Expect Treebeard to sign for the Potters any day now. However they do need something extra if this is an example of a typical game for them. At 33/1 I see enough value in a small tinkle on them to get relegated so poorly did they play. Or maybe it was Fulham playing so well that made them appear so ordinary? With a handful of tricky matches ahead of them, Fulham will definitely be hoping that's the case.

White Noise

Diarra stuck in the middle at Madrid as Spurs keep an eye and Fulham close in on Wright-Phillips

SHAUN WRIGHT-PHILLIPS
Manchester City to Fulham
THE INSIDER says: 4/5

Newcastle and Bolton have been encouraged by news that Manchester City are willing to let the England winger go on loan.

They are both eager to bring in a wide player and have also both entered the bidding for Stephen Ireland at Aston Villa.
He will be allowed on loan to anyone willing to pay his £60,000 a week wages in full.

Wright-Phillips has shown a willingness to stay in the north west and that lifted Bolton who are also waiting on Carlos Vela from Arsenal, however, Fulham manager Mark Hughes remains confident he can lure Wright-Phillips back to London.

He knows the player well and will convince him he has a big role to play in the resurgence of the Cottagers who are looking to bring two more new faces and will be boosted further by Bobby Zamora's impending return from injury.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1350059/Lassana-Diarra-stuck-middle-Madrid--The-Insider.html#ixzz1C1qkuVMQ

White Noise

Youth Cup Confirmation

Monday 24th January 2011

Fulham's FA Youth Cup adventure continues on Wednesday 16th February when Kit Symons' team take on Watford at the Cottage in the 5th Round. The match will kick-off at 7pm.

Should Mark Hughes' Team defeat Tottenham Hotspur in the 4th Round of the FA Cup and subsequently be drawn at home in the 5th Round, Fulham's Youth Team match against Watford will be played on Friday 4th February (KO 7pm) at the Cottage.

Confirmation of the Youth Cup fixture date, ticket prices and further information will be announced on fulhamfc.com in due course. If Fulham's First Team can navigate their way past Spurs in the FA Cup, keep an eye on the draw this Sunday evening.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/YouthCupConfirmation.aspx#ixzz1C1rRHZg9

White Noise

Sidwell's Start

Monday 24th January 2011

Steve Sidwell made an impressive start to his Fulham career on Saturday, coming on as a second-half substitute for Dickson Etuhu. The Whites' most recent signing slotted in well alongside Danny Murphy as Fulham completed a league double over Stoke City courtesy of a 2-0 victory at the Cottage.

Speaking after the match, Fulham Manager Mark Hughes was pleased to see Sidwell putting in a promising display on his debut.

"He was able to have a nice, easy introduction against Stoke and acquitted himself really well," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "He's going to be really important for us from now until the end of the season.

"He's very keen to get his career back on track, so we're pleased he's here. With the doubt over Dickson for Wednesday we're going to need him.

"He's always had the ability to get box to box - he's always had the energy to do that. Obviously he was hampered by injuries once he left Reading, and at Chelsea the opportunity to get on the field of play was a bit more difficult. But he wants get back playing; we know that we've got a good player. There were a lot of clubs in for him and that's because people understand what he can offer.

"What he needs is consistent football and the feeling that he's part of what the main team is doing. Maybe in the last two or three years he hasn't had that feeling.

"We've got a platform here that gives players an opportunity to get their career back on track because they're closer to the First Team. They've obviously got to perform and play well, if they don't then it's the status quo and they'll struggle with their career. But if they come here and work hard, there's a great platform for any player who wants to come and enjoy their football."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/HughesonSidwellDebut.aspx#ixzz1C1rhoOHU

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9370034.stm

Liverpool    v    Fulham

Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Barclays Premier League

Liverpool v  Fulham 20:00

Barclays Premier League
Venue: Anfield Date: Wednesday, 27 January Kick-off: 2000 GMT
Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

TEAM NEWS
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard returns after serving a three-match suspension and is likely to take the place of Christian Poulsen.

Jamie Carragher remains on the sidelines with a shoulder injury.

Fulham will check on the fitness of Dickson Etuhu and Aaron Hughes, who both suffered hamstring injuries on Saturday.

Steve Sidwell is on standby to make his full debut for the club if Etuhu fails to recover in time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool

Injured: Carragher (shoulder)

Fulham

Doubtful: Etuhu & Hughes (both hamstring)

Injured/unavailable: Briggs (calf), Schwarzer (international duty), Senderos (Achilles), Zamora (broken leg)

MATCH PREVIEW
These sides were due to meet just before Christmas and then Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson must have looked forward to the visit of his former club, as it would probably have been the only time he would have heard his name sung in a positive manner at Anfield - albeit from the away end.

Your captain [Steven Gerrard] being available after missing three games will be a fantastic lift for everybody. He is a special person - he's not just a special footballer

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish
His name is now but a bitter memory for Liverpool fans whose new saviour, 'King' Kenny Dalglish, showed signs on Saturday that he might be able to get the best out of an underperforming squad and help turn around one of the most disastrous seasons in the club's illustrious history.

Their display in the 3-0 win at Wolves was far from perfect, but the players showed a commitment, hunger and bite that has so often been absent this season. Even Fernando Torres rose from the doldrums to score twice in a performance that dampened rumours that he wants to leave.

Fulham's record at Anfield is derisory - not a single win in 29 visits and some fearful beatings along the way, including the infamous club record 10-0 thrashing 25 years ago.

But when the Cottagers were under the stewardship of Hodgson, and playing a brand of football that the Reds' faithful would go on to quickly despise, they eked out two successive 0-0 draws at Anfield. Manager Mark Hughes will be desperate for his side to go one better and finally end their Merseyside hoodoo, and they are well placed to do so given a recent run of form that has seen them win three of their last five league games.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• Four of the nine Premier League games at Anfield between these sides have ended as goalless draws, including the last two.

• Liverpool have kept six clean sheets in their last eight meetings with Fulham.

• Fulham have yet to beat Liverpool at Anfield in 29 attempts.

• This will be the 60th time Fulham and Liverpool have met. Liverpool lead by 33 wins to 10, with 16 draws.

606: DEBATE
Have your say on this match 
Liverpool

• Liverpool have conceded 31 goals in the league so far - they conceded a total of 35 goals in the whole of last season.

• This is the first time since the 1992-93 season that they have a negative goal difference after 23 league matches.

Fulham

• Goalkeeper David Stockdale is proving to be a lucky omen for Mark Hughes's men - they have not lost in any of his eight appearances this season.

• Fulham have not won any on their previous 18 Premier League visits to Merseyside to play either Everton or Liverpool.

• There have been a total of 20 goals scored in the club's 11 matches away from home this season, which is fewer than in any other club's away games.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Liverpool

Torres: 9 goals (9 league); Gerrard: 8 goals (4 league), Ngog: 8 goals (2 league)

Fulham

Dempsey: 9 goals (8 league); Kamara: 5 goals (2 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Lee Probert

Assistant referees: Ron Ganfield & Mick McDonough

Fourth official: Kevin Friend

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Liverpool (W3-0 v Wolves, a): Reina; Kelly, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Kuyt, Lucas, Poulsen (Shelvey 73), Meireles, Maxi (Aurelio 81), Torres. Subs not used: Gulacsi, Cole, Pacheco, Kyrgiakos, Spearing.

Fulham (W2-0 v Stoke, h): Stockdale; Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes (Halliche 75), Baird, Dempsey, Murphy, Etuhu (Sidwell 62), Duff, A Johnson, Dembele (Gera 75). Subs not used: Etheridge, Salcido, Kamara, Davies.

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/01/24/manual_203412.html&TEAMHD=soccer

AGENT: GERA COULD LEAVE FULHAM

By Juha Pal

Zoltan Gera's agent believes there is a "good chance" the midfielder will leave Fulham before the close of the transfer window.

The Hungary international has not started a game for Fulham since the Boxing Day defeat to West Ham and has become frustrated at his lack of opportunities.

Though he has appeared in 21 of the Cottagers' 23 Premier League games this season, Gera expressed his wish to move on earlier this month.

He is out of contract at the end of the season and Gera's representative Vladan Filipovic is reported to have met Fulham officials on Sunday to discuss a potential exit.

The transfer window shuts in a week's time and Filipovic is optimistic that he can find Gera a new club before the deadline.

"There's only one week left in the transfer window and Zoltan Gera has a good chance to sign for another team other than Fulham," Filipovic told origo.hu.

"He is wanted by English and various European clubs."

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/01/25/man-city-defeat-was-fulham-s-turning-point-says-aj-64767-28046121/

Man City defeat was Fulham's turning point, says AJ

Jan 25 2011

By Paul Warburton

Andy Johnson

AS FAR as Andy Johnson is concerned Fulham's watershed was the crushing 4-1 home defeat to Manchester City.

The back-in-form striker who made his fifth start in nearly a year and by far his best in the 2-0 home canter over Stoke on Saturday – reckoned things have been on the up for him and the Whites since boss Mark Hughes ripped into the team following the City mauling.

Johnson also revealed the manager's stamp is slowly but surely making its mark on an upwardly mobile club.

He said: "We had a bit of a bad time against Man City – but we have worked on it.

"The new manager has his own theories and he's changed how I play a little bit – but you know those sort of things are going to happen. It was never going to be the same as it was under Roy Hodgson."

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/47954/liverpool-vs-fulham/preview

Liverpool - Fulham Preview: Steven Gerrard set to return to action after three-game suspension

By Sam Bisby

The home team have an almost full bill of health with just Milan Jovanovic (illness) and Jamie Carragher (shoulder) unavailable.

Captain Steven Gerrard returns from suspension and will be hoping to carry on the Merseyside club's positive progress since the second coming of club legend King Kenny.

Possible starting XI: Reina; Kelly, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Kuyt, Lucas, Meireles, Maxi; Gerrard; Torres.

Fulham

The visitors for the rescheduled match are without four players, all with long-term injuries, and include Dickson Etuhu (hamstring), Matthew Briggs (ankle), Bobby Zamora (broken leg) and Philippe Senderos (Achilles).

Also, Mark Schwarzer's Australia are through to the semi-finals of the Asian Cup and play on Tuesday night against Uzbekistan and so will not be available either, leaving goalkeeper David Stockdale to once again fill his boots.

Possible starting XI: Stockdale; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird; Dempsey, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff; A Johnson, Dembele.

Return of 'El Nino'

Fernando Torres is back to his scoring self it seems with three goals in two games for Liverpool and has shown solid signs of his early days at the Anfield outfit where 'The Child' was scoring goals for fun.

The two goals he scored at the weekend against Wolves marked his 62nd and 63rd on his 100th league appearance for the Red half of Merseyside. However, Torres has quite a bit to go to even start thinking about breaking into the top 10 goal scorers for the team with Jack Parkinson occupying 10th place with 130 goals and current team-mate and captain Steven Gerrard in ninth with 140.

New year, new Fulham

The opening month to 2011 has seen the west London club collect three wins and one draw in the five games that they have played so far since the New Year and is easily the best form they've had all season (even if one of the games was a 6-2 thrashing of League 1 side Peterborough).

Striker Andy Johnson has found himself some form after his comeback from injury and is playing some good football which included a goal against Wigan, his first in the Premier League for almost two seasons.

New signing Steve Sidwell made his debut on Saturday and impressed new manager Mark Hughes, but will have to wait until he begins to break into the Fulham midfield with squad staples such as Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu. However, don't be surprised to see him feature at some point during the game.

Ten of the best for Liverpool

Liverpool's second highest win in their history came against Fulham when they met in the second round of the League Cup in September 1986 with a final score of 10-0.

Steve McMahon scored four of the goals on that day with Ian Rush and John Wark both scoring two each and Ronnie Whelan and Steve Nicol scoring the other two.

The win remains Liverpool's best performance in any domestic competition and is still Fulham's worst ever defeat in their history.

Our  provides the best breaking news online and our  football fan community is unmatched worldwide. Never miss a thing again!

Field Report Liverpool  Fulham Head to HeadEnglish Premier League (EPL) ‎(EPL)‎ 11 Apr 2010 Liverpool 0 - Fulham 0  
English Premier League (EPL) ‎(EPL)‎ 31 Oct 2009 Fulham 3 - Liverpool 1  
English Premier League (EPL) ‎(EPL)‎ 4 Apr 2009 Fulham 0 - Liverpool 1  
English Premier League (EPL) ‎(EPL)‎ 22 Nov 2008 Liverpool 0 - Fulham 0  

Last Five Matches22 Jan 2011 Wolverhampton 0 - Liverpool 3 EPL
16 Jan 2011 Liverpool 2 - Everton 2 EPL
12 Jan 2011 Blackpool 2 - Liverpool 1 EPL
9 Jan 2011 Manchester United 1 - Liverpool 0 FA
5 Jan 2011 Blackburn Rovers 3 - Liverpool 1 EPL
22 Jan 2011 Fulham 2 - Stoke City 0 EPL
15 Jan 2011 Wigan Athletic 1 - Fulham 1 EPL
8 Jan 2011 Fulham 6 - Peterborough United 2 FA
4 Jan 2011 Fulham 3 - West Bromwich 0 EPL
1 Jan 2011 Tottenham 1 - Fulham 0 EPL

Available Squads25 José Reina Paez Goalkeeper
2 Glen Johnson Defender
16 Sotirios Kyrgiakos Defender
37 Martin Skrtel Defender
3 Paul Konchesky Defender
18 Dirk Kuyt Striker
4 Raúl Meireles Midfielder
21 Lucas Midfielder
17 Maxi Rodríguez Midfielder
24 David Ngog Striker
9 Fernando Torres Striker
1 Mark Schwarzer Goalkeeper
4 John Paintsil Defender
18 Aaron Hughes Defender
5 Brede Hangeland Defender
3 Carlos Amoldo Salcido  Defender
29 Simon Davies Midfielder
13 Danny Murphy Midfielder
20 Dickson Etuhu Midfielder
23 Clint Dempsey Midfielder
11 Zoltán Gera Striker
15 Diomansy Kamara Striker
Players to Watch Raúl Meireles  
Position: Midfielder
Squad Number: 4
Games Goals YC RC
19 2 4 0
The Portugese midfielder had what was arguably his best game of the season at the weekend against Wolves and it will be interesting to see if he can carry his form into Wednesday's game, especially with captain Steven Gerrard returning to the squad.
Meireles seemed to have a more attacking role in the win at Molineux, but is a role Gerrard usually takes amongst the team and so may have a more conservative place on the pitch.
Clint Dempsey  
Position: Midfielder
Squad Number: 23
Games Goals YC RC
23 8 3 0
Scoring two goals against Stoke has placed the American in a good state of mind for the game at Anfield and will be carrying much confidence.

Hopefully for Fulham, Dempsey will work well with the also in-form Andy Johnson and be on the front-foot of the visitors' creativity.

Probable Lineups   25  2  16  37  3  18  4  21  17  24  9  1  4  18  5  3  29  13  20  23  11  15

PredictionAlthough Fulham are currently in their best form all season, Liverpool have finally realised how to win under King Kenny and surely another win is in the bag, just.Editor's Prediction  Liverpool 2 Fulham  1

White Noise

http://paisleygates.com/?p=2418

BREAKING TRANSFER NEWS...Nope, it's just Fulham.

Posted: 25th January 2011 by steven.

Kenny and Sammy do their Peanuts impersonation...

I've been so wrapped up in plotting ways to cajole Luis Suarez on a plane to Liverpool that I almost forgot that we've got a match tomorrow. Fulham's trip to Anfield should have already been done and dusted but some foul weather prevented Roy Hodgson from ever hearing his name sung from the terraces. It would have been the Cottagers singing it but never mind with that. Almost makes me happy the match was postponed; at least now we have a chance of taking away all 3 points. The 3-0 win at Wolves made for some must see TV and hopes are high that this is a trend, and not just one on Twitter, that's going to continue.

I've packed up some Advil and sent it to Anfield c/o Kenny Dalglish because a selection nightmare is going to looming. Steven Gerrard returns from his 3 match ban and with his slot in the squad all but a lock, the Gaffer is going to have choose wisely1 before selecting the squad so the balance that saw us wrap it up on the weekend isn't upset. Ryan Babel agreed to join Hoffenheim today, furthering speculation that the Suarez deal is dying on the table, but that's one body out of the equation even if it was unlikely he was going to figure anyways.

With all the talk of us in pursuit2 of a striker, Fulham on the other hand are shipping them out. Manager Mark Hughes has identified David Elm, who scored only a single goal for the Cottagers during a torrid spell, has been deemed surplus to requirements and is on the first plane out to IF Elfsborg. With Bobby Zamora still recovering from a broken leg, things haven't been going too well3 for the White team from London.

Our leaky defence has been a major cause for concern with Steve Clarke working hard to plug up the holes but for once I don't think we need to be too concerned. Fulham has one of the worst goal tallies in the League and with Daniel Agger back in the squad, we haven't conceded a goal in 163 minutes. With just under a week left in the transfer window, most eyes will be focused on the drama going on off the pitch as our pursuit of Charlie Adam4 and a certain Uraguayan striker heats to the point of breaking. Maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to take some time out of refreshing Google News to watch the sport instead of just obsessing over it's financials.

-steven.

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/if-its-so-important-to-you-take-it/

If it's so important to you, take it

Filed under: General — rich @ 11:53 am

Captain Murph can barely contain himself before wandering back towards the half-way line....