watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Website Entry Banned

Started by Stoneleigh Loyalist, April 26, 2024, 12:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTheCubed

I must confess when we have played Brentford I have got a chant going consisting of:

"No songs, from the Hounslow mongs"

Angus Telford

I agree a lot of Gervais' material these days is just plain spiteful. I find it ironic he campaigns so much against cruelty to animals (which is admirable) but has no problem being cruel to humans, such as with the routine mentioned above. Also totally agree the use of the M-word on the other thread was out of order.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Rupert on April 27, 2024, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on April 27, 2024, 12:11:53 PMI recently watched a YouTube clip of Richie Gervais from his live show, doing a spiel on the 'm****' word, trying  to cause as much offence as possible to the 'woke', though his live audience, and presumably many watchers of the  video, found it hilarious.

He particularly singled out singer Susan Boyle, who I believe has a learning disability, for attack, which I did find distasteful.

I know his thing was that it was all ironic, but he seems to have gone  beyond that now, to just being nasty to gain fans and make few more bob, by being anti-woke.

I don't believe in people being cancelled though - Gervais would love that anyway!

He'll be mortified when he finds out you think his first name is Richie.

The thing with insults, I find, is they come and go. A lot of the nonsense we spouted as youngsters has no effect now because they have either become so over-used that they lose their sting, or they become obsolescent through lack of use. When you have to explain what an insult means, it has not worked. no doubt some future generation will rediscover some of the old ones at some stage, and they can use them to shock the more ethically fragile people once again.

I remember when i was at school at Spencer Park Wandsworth.
I was called all sorts of insulting names by neanderthals and Piltdown men because of my size.

So one day i confronted my antagonists and i told them that " sticks & stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me ".

So after that it was sticks & stones all the way.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Willham

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 26, 2024, 07:29:38 PM
Quote from: Willham on April 26, 2024, 06:32:18 PMThis is all hilarious to me, where I'm from mong gets thrown around all the time, you'd be more worried if you'd gone a whole day without being called a mong.

Sits in the category with nerd, mucker and that

I am not sure we need to revert to name calling of any sort. However tame or otherwise. It is childish and frankly if people cannot express themselves in any other way when trying to communicate then maybe whatever they were trying to say is lost already.

I really don't understand your point? If your saying the people around my area use this as an insult and you disagree with that then I think you have misunderstood my point,

I mean more that these soft terms are used as endearing terms, something you tease a good friend or a partner with.

Example:

*See a friend drop food on the floor, pick it up and eat it,

"Ya mong, how'd ya eat that?"

"Hahaha 5 second rule init"

In a serious situation it wouldn't ever be used as it'd probably cause laughter.

I find regional linguistic like this interesting.

People in hull pronounce can't in the most inappropriate way, if misheard you may believe someone's calling you a C U Next Tuesday

Andy S

When I got banded yesterday morning like everyone else I searched for a way to alert the Mods. It was sorted in no time at all. Thanks guys

Woolly Mammoth

Name calling is a tool of the intellectually weak and lazy when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: Andy S on April 28, 2024, 12:02:39 AMWhen I got banded yesterday morning like everyone else I searched for a way to alert the Mods. It was sorted in no time at all. Thanks guys

What did you do? I couldn't find a way to report it or enquire and, if there had been an error for just a single person, it could have lasted 30 days. It was sorted quickly because it was multiple people and someone must have found a way to report it other than through FoF.

I've now looked up the word in question, which was a new one on me, and it was quite right that the offender got banned.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

SG

Quote from: Holders on April 28, 2024, 06:28:34 AM
Quote from: Andy S on April 28, 2024, 12:02:39 AMWhen I got banded yesterday morning like everyone else I searched for a way to alert the Mods. It was sorted in no time at all. Thanks guys

What did you do? I couldn't find a way to report it or enquire and, if there had been an error for just a single person, it could have lasted 30 days. It was sorted quickly because it was multiple people and someone must have found a way to report it other than through FoF.

I've now looked up the word in question, which was a new one on me, and it was quite right that the offender got banned.

Went to the home page and there's a contact us page but in the end was able to PM a mod

Andy S

I explored the the net with names of Mods etc until I found something I could use. Then I fired off an email. It is frustrating to be banned and not even be able to appeal. Especially when it seems to be unjustified. Last time I was banned it was for 7 days I don't think that was justified either but I can live without it for 7 days but it would still be corrected if I could have appealed. My crime was to ask what people expected later from the Budget which is hardly party political. However well done to the mods for sorting things out quickly and maybe there could be a means of appeal put in when banned.Especially as the close season is approaching

Grassy Noel

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 27, 2024, 12:57:59 PM
Quote from: Rupert on April 27, 2024, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on April 27, 2024, 12:11:53 PMI recently watched a YouTube clip of Richie Gervais from his live show, doing a spiel on the 'm****' word, trying  to cause as much offence as possible to the 'woke', though his live audience, and presumably many watchers of the  video, found it hilarious.

He particularly singled out singer Susan Boyle, who I believe has a learning disability, for attack, which I did find distasteful.

I know his thing was that it was all ironic, but he seems to have gone  beyond that now, to just being nasty to gain fans and make few more bob, by being anti-woke.

I don't believe in people being cancelled though - Gervais would love that anyway!

He'll be mortified when he finds out you think his first name is Richie.

The thing with insults, I find, is they come and go. A lot of the nonsense we spouted as youngsters has no effect now because they have either become so over-used that they lose their sting, or they become obsolescent through lack of use. When you have to explain what an insult means, it has not worked. no doubt some future generation will rediscover some of the old ones at some stage, and they can use them to shock the more ethically fragile people once again.

I remember when i was at school at Spencer Park Wandsworth.
I was called all sorts of insulting names by neanderthals and Piltdown men because of my size.

So one day i confronted my antagonists and i told them that " sticks & stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me ".

So after that it was sticks & stones all the way.

I did not hear Fiffy Pink complaining about your size though.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Willham on April 27, 2024, 11:36:03 PM
Quote from: Willham on April 26, 2024, 06:32:18 PMThis is all hilarious to me, where I'm from mong gets thrown around all the time, you'd be more worried if you'd gone a whole day without being called a mong.

I am not sure we need to revert to name calling of any sort. However tame or otherwise. It is childish and frankly if people cannot express themselves in any other way when trying to communicate then maybe whatever they were trying to say is lost already.

I really don't understand your point? If your saying the people around my area use this as an insult and you disagree with that then I think you have misunderstood my point,

I mean more that these soft terms are used as endearing terms, something you tease a good friend or a partner with.

Example:

In a serious situation it wouldn't ever be used as it'd probably cause laughter.

People in hull pronounce can't in the most inappropriate way, if misheard you may believe someone's calling you a C U Next Tuesday

Was the word used in a playful way? Was this tame little word that you find can be happily sprinkled around in every day conversation used as a friendly little dig. I doubt it. The Mods decided it was worth banning the user. I really have no idea what you are talking about. But I am sure if you are happy using it then fine. However when words are used in a written form they take on another depth of meaning. Like sarcasm is sometimes lost in the written word.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Willham

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 28, 2024, 02:08:37 PM
Quote from: Willham on April 27, 2024, 11:36:03 PM

Example:

Was the word used in a playful way? Was this tame little word that you find can be happily sprinkled around in every day conversation used as a friendly little dig. I doubt it. The Mods decided it was worth banning the user. I really have no idea what you are talking about. But I am sure if you are happy using it then fine. However when words are used in a written form they take on another depth of meaning. Like sarcasm is sometimes lost in the written word.

I absolutely wholeheartedly agree with you, rightly I thought I missed your earlier point, and I now feel you missed my first point, you maybe consider me challenging the mods behaviour, I do not, I was just making a remart how linguistics and regional dialects are funny.