https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SSN - Fulham in Konchesky talks

Started by os5889, January 27, 2011, 10:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6704149,00.html

Fulham in Konchesky talks

Skysports.com understands Liverpool are in advanced talks with Fulham over a possible return to Craven Cottage for Paul Konchesky.

Konchesy has dropped out of the picture at Anfield in recent weeks following the appointment of Kenny Dalglish as manager.

The left-back was brought to Merseyside from the West London club in the summer by former Cottagers boss Roy Hodgson.

However, the defender has endured a difficult time in trying to win over the Reds fans and he has not played since Dalglish replaced Hodgson earlier this month.

Escape route
Fulham are now ready to offer Konchesky an escape route out of Anfield and a quick return to his former club by taking him on loan for the remainder of the season.

Mark Hughes is in the market for a new left-back with Mexican defender Carlos Salcido reportedly failing to settle to life in England.

A number of clubs are thought to have made enquiries to ask about Konchesky's availability, but because he has already played for Fulham and Liverpool this season, the only club he can join during this month's transfer window is the Cottagers because of Fifa regulations.

Fulham are now hoping to reach an agreement with Liverpool to sign Konchesky before the transfer window closes on Monday.

ImperialWhite

According to the Guardian, if we get Konchesky back, Forest are interested in Briggs on loan.

I think that would be a great idea, personally - Forest are a good side this season, and it would do Briggs good to get actual match practise in a slightly more forgiving environment than Stamford Bridge, and they'll iron out his slight defensive frailties.

gang

I think if we sign Konchesky he should be behind Briggs in the pecking order. He always made it clear he would not sign a new contract and like many players before him has discoverd the grass isn't always greener.

BalDrick

Personally think this reflects very well on Hughes. New managers are always loath to do anything that might be implied as copying the previous guy - even if it's plainly the right thing to do.

Strengthens our team, but will Baird switch to right back? I see Pants is getting it in the neck again (not seen the game so have no idea if it's justifiable).
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

I have absolutely no interest in seeing him back at the Cottage. He wanted to leave, so he left.  Testes to him.  :red:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: gang on January 27, 2011, 10:50:49 AM
I think if we sign Konchesky he should be behind Briggs in the pecking order. He always made it clear he would not sign a new contract and like many players before him has discoverd the grass isn't always greener.

What the hell is the point of bringing him back then?

We need a LB, he is available at a knock down price and knows our defence well as well as being a good player.

Where does all this 'he made it clear he would not sign a new contract' stuff come from? I never read anything about it.

BalDrick

Quote from: gang on January 27, 2011, 10:50:49 AM

But it's not about teaching the player a lesson, it's about strengthening Fulham's defence. Obviously hard to know but there'd have to be a chance one of the team - Murph, Brede - has been consulted and said 'get him back'.

Re Konch not wanting to sign another contract, he was just after one last decent-paying contract and he aimed too high - there are players who'd sit on the Anfield bench for the duration and count the money coming in.

cebu

Actually, I remember the story that Konch wasn't keen to sign a new contract materialised before Hodgson went to Liverpool.

Chopper

I don't rate Konch that highly but it IS difficult to find decent left backs (no idea why this should be so) and Salcido has been poor so far, so if the price is right I think this would be good news.

Gives Briggs the chance to pick up some match practice elsewhere.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: Chopper on January 27, 2011, 01:55:14 PM
I don't rate Konch that highly but it IS difficult to find decent left backs (no idea why this should be so) and Salcido has been poor so far, so if the price is right I think this would be good news.

Gives Briggs the chance to pick up some match practice elsewhere.
Price????? I'll take him for nothing and pay his wages but I'm not sure about buying him back!

OldBrownShoe

I am with Equaliser on this. Good call Tom.  And if he can't get in the Liverpool side why should we want him? :dead horse:
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

epsomraver

What a stupid attitude, he was good for us, all through the europa he excelled, he was offered a better deal with a longer contract to go to Liverpool, you telling me you wouldn't change your job on those terms. he is a darn sight better than what we have at present with left footed players.

Jimpav

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on January 27, 2011, 02:13:00 PM
I am with Equaliser on this. Good call Tom.  And if he can't get in the Liverpool side why should we want him? :dead horse:

I suspect he can't in the Liverpool side because as Hodgson experienced the Scousers are too proud to have someone come from a "smaller club" come and play for or manage them.

Konch has a proven record with us and would be able to slot back into the team immediately. He's not the best left back in the PL but he's more reliable than Salcidio and will free Baird up to play in other positions if required.

BalDrick

Quote from: Jimpav on January 27, 2011, 02:52:26 PM
Quote from: OldBrownShoe on January 27, 2011, 02:13:00 PM

I suspect he can't in the Liverpool side because as Hodgson experienced the Scousers are too proud to have someone come from a "smaller club" come and play for or manage them.

Konch has a proven record with us and would be able to slot back into the team immediately. He's not the best left back in the PL but he's more reliable than Salcidio and will free Baird up to play in other positions if required.

He can't get in the Liverpool side because Dalglish is putting too much emphasis on pleasing the fans and not enough on improving the team. Defies belief that a new manager should come in and not give everyone a fair crack of the whip. Still that's their problem not ours.

MrFFC

Konchesky was solid for us we should bring him back and get rid of Salcido he just isn't good enough!
Come on you Whites!! :)

epsomraver

Brede Butter Pudding

We're really lacking a left-footed left back. You can see that Baird, although plays well, isn't completely comfortable there, which is understandable. It almost makes our whole left side less effective.

If Konch can come back, admit it was wrong to leave, kiss and make up, I don't see what the problem is? He already knows the squad and how we play, he's got a great left foot and is quick, and if Sparky can get him back to the level he was at for us it could be a quality signing.

MisfitKid

I am really torn on this.
While Baird has played well, I would rather have him on the right.
Maybe Konchesky can mentor Briggs...
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

WhiteJC

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on January 27, 2011, 03:33:46 PM
We're really lacking a left-footed left back. You can see that Baird, although plays well, isn't completely comfortable there, which is understandable. It almost makes our whole left side less effective.

If Konch can come back, admit it was wrong to leave, kiss and make up, I don't see what the problem is? He already knows the squad and how we play, he's got a great left foot and is quick, and if Sparky can get him back to the level he was at for us it could be a quality signing.

we don't play the same way we did with Roy so Konch will need to learn the 'new' setup, and that might be harder than joining a new team

richie17

Quote from: epsomraver on January 27, 2011, 02:51:52 PM
What a stupid attitude, he was good for us, all through the europa he excelled, he was offered a better deal with a longer contract to go to Liverpool, you telling me you wouldn't change your job on those terms. he is a darn sight better than what we have at present with left footed players.

+1