watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Baird

Started by Matt, January 31, 2011, 09:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Not even on the bench yesterday. Replaced by Greening during the warm-up. Any news?

Don't feel that confident with Salcido at the moment.
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

Lighthouse

Baird was feeling ill during the week and did not recover as expected for Sunday. I think he must have been suddenly ill again for Sunday which is why Greening replaced him. Hope it is just a bug and the bug doesn't spread. Get well soon Chris.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Matt

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 31, 2011, 09:27:44 AM
Baird was feeling ill during the week and did not recover as expected for Sunday. I think he must have been suddenly ill again for Sunday which is why Greening replaced him. Hope it is just a bug and the bug doesn't spread. Get well soon Chris.

Thanks for that. We'll need him on Wednesday! Get well soon, Baird!

sipwell

I think Salcido played a good game yesterday. For me it all boils down to his lack of/unsufficient mastering of English. I honestly don't know how Hughes can give him tactical advice, explain him the routines or what is expected in another language than Spanish.
You know that, as Belgium is a "minor" side in European football, clubs with Spanish speaking players at least have one coach who speaks the language... (and all those players are sent to classes of whatever the main language of the club is). I think Salcido had the same with PSV, where he probably had a coach (together with their other spanish speakers) who translated everything. Does English football have that? Doubt it.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

The Doctor

Interesting point, Sipwell.  I wonder if Hughes is still fluent in Spanish after his time at Barca?

ImperialWhite

Quote from: The Doctor on January 31, 2011, 10:43:17 AM
Interesting point, Sipwell.  I wonder if Hughes is still fluent in Spanish after his time at Barca?

Don't think so - I seem to remember a Sky Sports News piece (described on CCNR recently) about Salcido, not being able to speak English and homesickness. Seem to remember that Clint Dempsey was basically acting as his interpreter.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on January 31, 2011, 10:45:20 AM

Don't think so - I seem to remember a Sky Sports News piece (described on CCNR recently) about Salcido, not being able to speak English and homesickness. Seem to remember that Clint Dempsey was basically acting as his interpreter.

Was a 'premier league world' piece which was conducted purely in spanish.

I like Salcido. He has been written off by 90% of fans so that endears him to me even more.

Matt

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 31, 2011, 10:48:14 AM

I like Salcido. He has been written off by 90% of fans so that endears him to me even more.

Surely the boy can play football, I think he showed that pretty well when he arrived. But after the injury he hasn't looked that confident. If Baird is out on Wednesday he should get another game.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Matt The Swede on January 31, 2011, 11:16:22 AM

Surely the boy can play football, I think he showed that pretty well when he arrived. But after the injury he hasn't looked that confident. If Baird is out on Wednesday he should get another game.

I would like to see Barid at RB and Sally at LB. He just gives us that bit more width that we lack on occassion.

Matt

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 31, 2011, 11:27:56 AM
Quote from: Matt The Swede on January 31, 2011, 11:16:22 AM

I would like to see Barid at RB and Sally at LB. He just gives us that bit more width that we lack on occassion.

Worth a shot! Allows Baird to go on more attacking runs as well.

YankeeJim

I agree that Salcedo seems to lack confidence. I thought he played well but he didn't push up, seeming to pass back or sideways most of the time. Perhaps he was told to watch the defensive end. The man has talent. It has to be difficult to be in a foreign country, without language skills, where there's no decent tacos and the locals eat spotted dick. Mexicans, as a people, are usually not agressive. He'll come good. Just think, an out back who can cross.....something that is not our strong point.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

Quote from: YankeeJim on January 31, 2011, 03:24:18 PM
It has to be difficult to be in a foreign country, without language skills, where there's no decent tacos and the locals eat spotted dick.
I can relate to that Mr Jim. My American has yet to develop and my girlfriend does all my translation as I am having problems ordering food at the restaurants and taking Taxi's here in New York

Maybe the fact that all the waiters are foreigners and the taxi drivers are Pakistani has something to do with it...  :dft012:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

YankeeJim

Quote from: finnster01 on January 31, 2011, 03:37:46 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on January 31, 2011, 03:24:18 PM
It has to be difficult to be in a foreign country, without language skills, where there's no decent tacos and the locals eat spotted dick.
I can relate to that Mr Jim. My American has yet to develop and my girlfriend does all my translation as I am having problems ordering food at the restaurants and taking Taxi's here in New York

Maybe the fact that all the waiters are foreigners and the taxi drivers are Pakistani has something to do with it...  :dft012:

\
I can't say that I've ever had a good taco in New York & the only time I ever rode in a taxi in the Big Apple, the driver was Russian. Not sure if that helps. As to the other, I'd suggest penicillin.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

Can we PLEASE stop all this condescending talk about how poor Carlos must be homesick what with having no language skills and difficulty adjusting to Europe.

He hasn't played for a Mexican club since 2006 when he transferred to PSV. Honestly.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on January 31, 2011, 04:39:15 PM
Can we PLEASE stop all this condescending talk about how poor Carlos must be homesick what with having no language skills and difficulty adjusting to Europe.

He hasn't played for a Mexican club since 2006 when he transferred to PSV. Honestly.

I dont think anyone is doing that, just pointing out that he cannot speak English. It is not about being homesick, it is about his ability to communicate at a top level in another language.

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 31, 2011, 04:44:35 PM

I dont think anyone is doing that, just pointing out that he cannot speak English. It is not about being homesick, it is about his ability to communicate at a top level in another language.
He should know what Two Bob Bit is by now
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 31, 2011, 04:44:35 PM

earlier this very thread:
QuoteDon't think so - I seem to remember a Sky Sports News piece (described on CCNR recently) about Salcido, not being able to speak English and homesickness.

And I've seen many similar since his injury. Just gets up me naase, is all. Where's my meds.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel