Main Menu

Latest On The Match Feed Bans

Started by White Noise, February 03, 2011, 12:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Ban on foreign football satellite feeds is illegal, says European Court adviser

Published 11:27 03/02/11

By MirrorFootball

UK broadcasters cannot prevent viewers using foreign satellite feeds to watch Premier League football matches, an adviser to the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has said.

In a move that could have major ramifications for the Premier League, Sky Sports and ESPN, ECJ advocate general Juliane Kokott has said a such a block is against European law.

Currently Premier League football is shown live in other countries on a Saturday afternoon, but that is banned in the UK to protect attendance figures.

To get around this, some viewers - especially pubs - use foreign feeds to screen matches.

But the authorities could soon be powerless to stop them if the European Court of Justice follows advice from Ms Kokott.

They are expected to make a ruling in the next few months, and typically follow the advice of the advocate general in the majority of cases.

Ms Kokott said: "The exclusivity agreement relating to transmission of football matches are contrary to European Union law.

"(The) exclusivity rights in question have the effect of partitioning the internal market into quite separate national markets, something which constitutes a serious impairment of the freedom to provide services."

The case is based on a dispute over whether a rights holder - such as the Premier League - can sell rights to football on a country-by-country basis.

The Premier League currently generates huge revenues by doing just that.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ban-on-foreign-football-satellite-feeds-is-illegal-says-European-Court-adviser-article689289.html#ixzz1Ctez3qYn

AlFayedsChequebook

This has huge ramifications to the PL gravy train. I am not sure if it is good for Fulham or not? Its good for the consumer, obviously.

Will be very interesting to see what happens next.

sipwell

Everybody just HAS to love the European Union as much as I do :hook:
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

White Noise

Surely all sporting events of any scale have their rights sold on a country by country basis?

I think the free streaming thing has its benefits for clubs though.  It is such a key link for many supporters - many of whom spend money with the clubs.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: White Noise on February 03, 2011, 12:30:12 PM
Surely all sporting events of any scale have their rights sold on a country by country basis?

I think the free streaming thing has its benefits for clubs though.  It is such a key link for many supporters - many of whom spend money with the clubs.

Exactly. Free advertising

jarv

Agree with Mr. Al, I have been saying for a long time the PL gravy train bubble will burst one day. Advances in computer technology will result in bigger and better pictures. Sky punddits will no longer be paid 1.7 million a year. (Having said that, the quality of the picture yesterday was excellent).
Without the streams, living in USA, how else would I get to watch the boys?? For now, I am happy with that. :021:

finnster01

This is clearly going to cost the Prem (if it gets passed).

As someone running a business that has to deal a lot with issues around exclusivity, I can tell you that exclusivity in general comes at a very high premium. If the Prem has to give that up, their media deals will drop in a big way which is what keeps the silly money going in the first place.

I agree, there are some very interesting times ahead of us.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead