watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Google/Website advice or help even

Started by Admin, February 03, 2011, 03:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Guy's, thought I'd ask on here 1st as I normally get quite good advice from members on a whole range of things, if needed so thanks in advance.

I'm setting up a new website for my current business or in truth expanding. Rather than building the whole thing from scratch, I'm going to do it 'page by page' because as I go along, I will be adding more products/info which don't currently exist yet or will do in the future.

At the moment, I have one 'stable' product on which I can build a page for but it won't be on the index page i.e. www.mywebsite.com. The index page will come later once I have a range of products and a good discription for my website.

At first, I'll be building a page www.mywebsite.com/product1 and then adding a testimonial page, contact page etc but thats it. If I submit just these pages to Google etc will www.mywebsite.com/product1 rank even though I don't build the index page etc?!

Regards,

FulhamRob

Not sure it's a direct answer to your question but i've built a few websites over the years and have found one company: www.doyourownsite.com hugely helpful. I've been with them for eight years now. As well as loads of information on search engine optimisation, etc, they also have templates including a simple way to build an online shop. With the hosting it costs upwards from about £50-a-year.

By the way I'm not on commission!!! I pay full whack for my websites from them but they are really helpful.
Good luck.

WhiteJC

you can register each page with google:

www.mydomain.com
www.mydomain.com/product1.htm
www.mydomain.com/product2.htm
www.mydomain.com/sitemap.htm

this is useful if you have different 'meta-tags' and descriptions for the products

you'll need to 'register' each page however, google looks for either a default or index (home) page so you may fail registration.

I would make your first product the home page and then change it as you add other pages, you'll need to re-register each page with google

Admin

Cheers guy's, thanks for the info. I was thinking that first off John i.e make the product my index page and then move it to /product1.com after but will this mess up the page ranking of that product and would I lose it for a few weeks/months whilst it ranks again?!

P.S: John, sent you a P.M about the D.N the other day, could you reply so I know what to do. cheers.

sipwell

You don't need to build an index page yourself (in my experience).
You need to create an account on the google website ( https://www.google.com/accounts ) and equally submit your page to google http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl. On the former you will be asked to add a page google creates itself to your website. As a result, google will recognize your website and include it in its crawling activities.

Next you need to make sure that you put on every page keywords, otherwise google will never recognize it.

Finally you use this tool http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ to index your pages. The link you'll get needs to be added on the google account you created. It is an index without you having to do a lot of indexing yourself.

That's all I did for my wife's website and you can easily google it. Try windsbride or Klaartje Schrijvers and you'll find her very close near the top of the list.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Senior Supporter

Oh dear, this thread has made me feel quite ill, and I think I'll have to go for a lie down. I'm an old fogie who can just about cope with a message board, and can only hope that I am not alone in finding the above completely incomprehensible.   :016:  :airfix:

sipwell

@ SS: trust me, four months ago that would have sounded as Chinese to me too but if you have no other choice than to learn it, you learn it.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

NogoodBoyo

On an ongoing basis, I spend a decent amount on White Hat Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) for our family business's website.  It's vital. 
Apparently, important factors in Google's rankings are the quality of the site and, get this, the volume of words attached to it.  In other words, they rank on quality and quantity.  Links out count for naught.  Links in count for a lot.  Articles written by others, or even blogs written by yourself help a lot, BUT, ease of navigability is crucial to their algorithms.
They also rank sites higher if they are constantly updated, so I think you will benefit from that as your company, product base and website develop and expand even further than they have already.
Good luck.
Nogood "no idea what I'm talkin' about" Boyo