News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How Many Top 6 Quality Players Do We Have?

Started by White Noise, February 03, 2011, 09:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

I have asked this question, or ones similar, on and off in recent years and its an interesting benchmark of how we are progressing as a side.

A few years ago I was asking how many players we had who were sufficiently good that they would attractive to top 10 teams - and it wasn't so long ago when the answer was 1 - Simon Davies.

I ask the question 'top 6' now because I think we have the making of a top 7 side.

So, if we say 'top 6' is say 'Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Chel****, Liverpool & Spurs
- which of our players are good enough to be snapped up by one of the above?

If all our squad was put on the market tomorrow, and if the clubs above had vacancies, who could expect to command the interest of the top clubs?

mccscratch

Dembele (top 4 quality) Hangeland (top 6, maybe top 4 squad) Dempsey (top 6) Zamora (top 6 squad)

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

jarv

I would add Schwartzer and captain Dan. The way he is playing now he could do for any team. Very similar to what gary McAllister achieved at Liverpool when everyone thought he was in decline. (and Liverpool were a top 6 team).

Tom

Quote from: mccscratch on February 03, 2011, 09:31:08 PM
Dembele (top 4 quality) Hangeland (top 6, maybe top 4 squad) Dempsey (top 6) Zamora (top 6 squad)

I agree with this list. Hopefully in a couple years we can put Stockdale on the list.
Fulham for life!

mccscratch

Quote from: jarv on February 03, 2011, 09:37:15 PM
I would add Schwartzer and captain Dan. The way he is playing now he could do for any team. Very similar to what gary McAllister achieved at Liverpool when everyone thought he was in decline. (and Liverpool were a top 6 team).

Wont disagree because obviously Arsenal were in for Schwarzer (we were lead to believe anyway) and Danny can certainly play but do you think teams would pay a transfer fee for him or just take him into the squad on a free?
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

The Bronsons

Danny and Schwartzer clearly have the quality but can't see them being bought now by a top six side because of age. (Schwartzer's last chance was last summer.)

I'd add Stockdale to mccscratch's four - he's young enough and good enough to make no. 3 keeper in a top six side - and probably go straight out on loan.

jarv

All too hypothetical now. Murphy is playing so well this season he is almost priceless due to his value for Fulham. We got him at the right time and allowed him to play the right way. Older players tend not to command high transfer fees these days.
Watch the top teams. Often I watch and think....they need a Danny Murphy out there.

SmithyFFC

Murphy a few years ago pheraps, defiantley Schwarzer and Hangeland, pheraps Dembele and at a push Aaron Hughes.
FTID

NogoodBoyo

I'm glad FF2 added Hughes (even if a bit iffily).
I believe Hughes and Hangeland are the best defensive pair in the league, so they would be a top 4 pairing.
Murphy would be a great signing for any top 6 looking for stability, reliability and creativity in their midfield.
Dembele is the best signing of the season.  Only 23 years old and came for just 5 large.  Top 4
If Zamora hadn't have received that horrible injury from that horrid little man and had maintained a modicum of last year's form, we would have struggled to have kept him last month.  A definite top 4 on last year's form, but he is unlikely to perform that well this season.  Players need a lot of time to reclaim their sharpness after horrific injuries with long lay-offs like that.
Dempsey? A really great, versatile player who scores goals from anywhere.  I don't think he'd get the games at a top 6 club.  He'd be a bench-warmer - and I have a horrible feeling someone might see him as such next summer and test his ambition.
Schwartser.  Possible Top 6 in the VDS mold.
Stockdale.  Possible Top 6 as one for the future.  But, he needs to get in the gym and lose a bit of weight if he wants to get to the very top and stay there.
Nogood "a great backbone to a solid Prem team we have here, isit" Boyo

MrFFC

Schwarzer , Hangeland , Dempsey , Dembele and Zamora
Come on you Whites!! :)

epsomraver

Add Hughes to that list and I would agree.real unsung hero week in week out.

BalDrick

Dembele, Schwarzer and (probably) Hangeland.

And Chris Baird of course!
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

LRCN

schwarzer, hangeland, dempsey, dembele, zamora i'd say. not sure about hughes because as good as he is he needs a very specific type of player alongside him, whereas most top 6 centre backs can play effectively alongside almost anyone.

jarv

The list gets longer. So, if most of us are agreed, there is probably 6 top 6 players. All we need is 5 more then we finish in the top 6. :drums:

epsomraver

No we wouldn't cos 'arry would come along and buy them all :dead horse:

The Equalizer

Eddie Johnson. I'm really surprised we chucked him out on loan, we should've kept him and sold him to Liverpool for £40 million.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Yarden

Hangeland would get into city, spurs and arsenal starting lineup so he is top 4 quality no doubt!

BalDrick

Have to say, I really don't think Zamora or Deuce are top 6 material. They're certainly top half material, but I think that's what we are as a team.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

valdeingruo

Quote from: White Noise on May 28, 2012, 07:44:06 AM
How about now?

Well seeing as you didnt mean bottom six (zamora ;) ) Hangeland Dembele Dempsey Riise
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi