watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Songs That Epitomise The 60's

Started by White Noise, February 04, 2011, 09:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Definately "The House of the Rising Sun", number 1 on the day I got married and also Procal Harem's "Whiter Shade of Pale". Agree that the Stones did some very good stuff in the sixties. Oh, Equaliser, please do not wish your life away, I promise you yhay adding thirty years to your life is not a good idea.

duffbeer

Well I dont know about you Brits, but for Americans few songs epitomize the 60's more than American Pie as it chronicaled events of that decade.  A lot of the other songs were great songs that also transcended the 60's, but this song was great and it stayed in the 60s.

Don McLean- American Pie (with Lyrics)

HatterDon

Ah, "Lazin' on a Sunny Afternoon" by the Kinks.

I was 19 years old and had just gotten to England for the first time. The 1966 World Cup was about to start. I went to get on the coach and, instead of seeing steps, I saw a driver. He said, "Other side, Yank; you're in Britain now." The coach had a radio tuned to BBC's "light" channel. The first song I heard was a song about how the West Indies had triumphed in cricket over England. The second was "sunny Afternoon." I can't separate those memories when I hear that song.

There weren't many bypasses then, and so the trip was driving in East Anglia through a succession of small villages with grass greener than I ever thought possible. I must admit I fell in love with England within an hour, and it's never gone away -- despite the "big [not so ] fat [English] mama" who tried to "break me" several years later.  
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SoCalJoe

there have been over 20 posts and not a single mention of the greatest guitar player of the 60's Jimi Hendrix or perhaps the greatest lead singer of the 60's Jim Morrison?? If forced to pick a single song from each, I'd go w/Purple Haze from the man from Seattle and LA Woman from the Doors.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

The Equalizer

Quote from: SoCalJoe on February 04, 2011, 04:38:55 PM
there have been over 20 posts and not a single mention of the greatest guitar player of the 60's Jimi Hendrix or perhaps the greatest lead singer of the 60's Jim Morrison?? If forced to pick a single song from each, I'd go w/Purple Haze from the man from Seattle and LA Woman from the Doors.

Jim Morrison wasn't anywhere near the greatest lead singer of the 60s. That goes to Jagger, Daltrey or Plant.
Good shout on Hendrix though:

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower - ORIGINAL MUSIC VIDEO
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

Used to live in Reading once along the murder mile. Wasn't the best of places to live as the name suggest, but I have lived in worse. There was a pub there owned by one of the Mungo Jerry members, forget which one, It was an old converted coach house. In fact I think it was called the Coach House or the Coach Station. Anyway, Mungo Jerry's in the summertime is a classic and will make you feel good anytime:
Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

NogoodBoyo

I can't stop laughing at the thought of the looks on your boats when you see this. 
All the old farts will get a lump in their throats and a very faint, almost imperceptible stirring in their loins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVit7cesj8&feature=player_embedded#
Nogood "those were the days indeed" Boyo
P.S. A tanner to the generous cognoscenti who can figure out how to put the video in the thread instead of the link.

NogoodBoyo

Nogood "Bleddy 'ell.  How did I do that one then?, isit" Boyo

FCC808Masseyyank

Although born in the 60's.... these are the songs that I listen to from that period. There are too many great classics to list that represent the 1960's but I like to see what others think. Another great NRF thread :54: :54:

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky. This was a 1970 release BUT came from the late 1960's sound

Sorry about this first one. It is from another site that does not allow it to be imbedded on the this post. Click on this link and it will open up another window to the video clip

http://vodpod.com/watch/218967-norman-greenbaum-spirit-in-the-sky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU5zqidlxMQ#
The Yardbirds - For Your Love (1965)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9DVJE_bhVU#
The Troggs - Wild Thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgA4-bLcoN8#
The Hollies - Carrie Anne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCnHWas3HQ#
Petula Clark - Downtown : this was one of my mother's favorites (special for me)
".... never in the course of human conflict, have so many owed so much to so few...."

Oakeshott

Not the 60s of "Top of the Pops" but the 60s of the Wardour Street clubs - The Flamingo, The Scene, La Discoteche etc:

1. Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and the Trinity - Road To Cairo, This Wheels on Fire, etc

2. Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames, Rhythm and Blues at the Flamingo - Night Train, Do The Dog etc

3. The Pretty Things - Rosalyn

VB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POWXUCvAPFA#

I also love Rosalyn and The Shape of things to come.
and a track called Here Comes the Night by Them
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

jarv

What a fantastoic list. However, did not see "knights in white satin" on it.

It just so happens, 3 old mates of mine organised a 60s reunion at a pub in Sussex where we all used to go to see bands back then. Unfortunately, as I live in America and it was short notice I could not go. Apparently it was brilliant. 2 bands and dj playing 60s music all night.

Interesting footnote, one of my mates was chatting to a girl for ages (can we still call them girls?) and she knew a lot about him and his family. He was too far into the conversation and embarrased to ask "who are you?".  Turns out he went out with her for nearly a year. Not one recognisable feature.

CincyFulham1

The Fraternity of Man...Don't Bogart Me.
Crosby,Stills and Nash...Marrakesh Express
                            ...Wooden Ships
The Doors...................Light My Fire
Strawberry Alarm Clock..Incense and Peppermint.

Having been born in '65 I'm just trying to remember all the songs I heard being played by older sisters.  There are hundreds more but who has the time to list them all.  One sister would say anything off of the Sweetheart of the Rodeo album (The Byrd), The Gilded Palace of Sin (Flying Burrito Brothers) or Safe at Home (International Submarine Band)  but she always had a southern california/country thing going on.                      

CorkedHat

What a great thread. I was in my prime in the Sixties and if there is one decade to which I would like to return, this is it.
Oakeshott mentions Julie Driscoll and I can't tell you just how hot I thought she was.
Then there was Melanie – anyone remember Melanie?
I loved The Hollies too and He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother will be played at my funeral.
KCat says – Joni Mitchell and Both Sides Now, and I love that too, but the one song that encapsulates for me just what the Sixties were all about and as mentioned by Messrs Equalizer and Peabody, is Whiter Shade of Pale.
"The room was humming harder, As the ceiling blew away, I called out for another drink, The waiter brought a tray".
There in a couple of lines was my life back then!
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

FCC808Masseyyank

Quote from: CorkedHat on February 05, 2011, 01:55:06 AM
What a great thread. I was in my prime in the Sixties and if there is one decade to which I would like to return, this is it.
Oakeshott mentions Julie Driscoll and I can't tell you just how hot I thought she was.
Then there was Melanie – anyone remember Melanie?
I loved The Hollies too and He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother will be played at my funeral.
KCat says – Joni Mitchell and Both Sides Now, and I love that too, but the one song that encapsulates for me just what the Sixties were all about and as mentioned by Messrs Equalizer and Peabody, is Whiter Shade of Pale.
"The room was humming harder, As the ceiling blew away, I called out for another drink, The waiter brought a tray".
There in a couple of lines was my life back then!

Dear Legend CorkedHat

Are you referering to the singer who sang "brand new key"? Here is a home made movie for a school project with Melanie "Brand New Key" as the sound track.   If I got this wrong sorry and never mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p02DgHeGdyI#
".... never in the course of human conflict, have so many owed so much to so few...."

NogoodBoyo

Shadows - Apache 1964
Nogood "without a shadow of doubt anyone who went to a fareground in sixties Britain will have this etched indelibly on their minds," Boyo