https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Songs That Epitomise The 60's

Started by White Noise, February 04, 2011, 09:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

Quote from: FCC808Masseyyank on February 05, 2011, 02:31:47 AM
Quote from: CorkedHat on February 05, 2011, 01:55:06 AM
What a great thread. I was in my prime in the Sixties and if there is one decade to which I would like to return, this is it.
Oakeshott mentions Julie Driscoll and I can't tell you just how hot I thought she was.
Then there was Melanie – anyone remember Melanie?
I loved The Hollies too and He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother will be played at my funeral.
KCat says – Joni Mitchell and Both Sides Now, and I love that too, but the one song that encapsulates for me just what the Sixties were all about and as mentioned by Messrs Equalizer and Peabody, is Whiter Shade of Pale.
"The room was humming harder, As the ceiling blew away, I called out for another drink, The waiter brought a tray".
There in a couple of lines was my life back then!

Dear Legend CorkedHat

Are you referering to the singer who sang "brand new key"? Here is a home made movie for a school project with Melanie "Brand New Key" as the sound track.   If I got this wrong sorry and never mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p02DgHeGdyI#

That's the lady Mr Masseyyank. Lay Down Lay Down (Candles in the Rain), Ruby Tuesday, Look what they've done to my song,Ma, = everyone a classic.
My daughter who was about three or four at the time used to ask me to turn Lay Down Lay Down to its highest volume - she absolutely loved it.

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

NogoodBoyo

Okay boys and girls, what the flu-jabbin' eck is wrong with us all?  
Yes, the Stones might have been more risky earlier on, yes Joni bloody Mitchell and Leonard ridiculous desert-jacket Cohen at the Isle of Wight pardon me whilst we all slit our wrists with ennuie might have made The Yardbairds and The Union Gap and the Animaux and The Kinkles and Protocol Harem and Marvin's gay look like borstal boys from Brazil, but WAKE UP!  The question was "Songs that sodomise the sixties" (or something like that?).  
Are we so stuck with small club, small band, small winkle-picker syndrome that we always have to lick the balls of the underdog and can ignore the single-most, massive influence on modern culture that ever cut a record in anger?  They made the sixties - nobody else.  It was them.
I'm not even going to say their name - jesus, anybody would think they were owned by a Russian gazpromillionaire.
This is the intro song to the album that changed music forever.  Many of us were there.  Nothing, absolutely sodding nothing had even been heard like this before.  How on earth could we forget?    
Case dismissed, m'lud.  
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Nogood "and I was a Stones man, but this album made the Stones look and sound like petty white suburban toy boys with an attitude trying to sound like black delta blues men, it did" Boyo

HatterDon

The greatest song in the history of Rock 'n Roll

The Who - Wont Get Fooled Again

I know; I know. It was released in 1971, but it epitomizes the 60s for me as I remember them

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

NogoodBoyo

HD - so much of what people think of the sixties is actually the early seventies.  That's why the Beatles in 1966 (hitherto an average white pop band) smashed everybody for years either into relative obscurity or into a happy land of fond personal memories.
Nothing had ever been heard like Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road. 
These two albums made the sixties, were the sixties and still are the sixiteis.  The rest is just a footnote.
Nogood "that's my epitmosation and I'm sticking to it, cariad" Boyo

CorkedHat

And exactly how old were you in 1960 NGB?  :dft012:

Gozorich

What a great post! I arrived in London in 1961 and have got great memories. Spent a lot of time in skiffle clubs, 2iis etc. although my kids think I was born at 50yo. I stunned one of them a few years ago when I gave him my Led Zeppelin collection. 

CorkedHat says he would like to return to that decade but funnily enough although I had a great time in the Sixties my favourite decade would be the Seventies - don't really know why.

If you haven't already got it try this:

http://upchucky.com/JukeCity/1960/juke.htm

:drums:

Gozorich

Meant 'great thread' of course - creeping senility!

Oakeshott

Should have included the lovely Twinkle, whose album Golden Lights I play at least as often as Julie's The Mod Years compilation and only slightly less often than my current favourite, Delta Dawn, the first album of the incomparable Tanya Tucker (who first appeared in the early 70s rather than the 60s).

CorkedHat

WHITEwitch

Wow that was a trip down memory lane.  Trip being the operative word.  OMG the Marquee and the Bag of nails...............

No-one mentioned my neighbour from St Albans and the song I'm having played at my funeral.

She's not there - The Zombies.

I'm saving Cream and Roger Daltry's Ride a Rock Horse for the wake.

No idea how to put clips on here :o)

CorkedHat

Quote from: WHITEwitch on February 06, 2011, 09:26:04 AM
Wow that was a trip down memory lane.  Trip being the operative word.  OMG the Marquee and the Bag of nails...............

No-one mentioned my neighbour from St Albans and the song I'm having played at my funeral.

She's not there - The Zombies.

I'm saving Cream and Roger Daltry's Ride a Rock Horse for the wake.

No idea how to put clips on here :o)

The Two I's in Old Compton Street where it was all at, WW. Tommy Steele, Wee Willy Harris, Adam Faith and God knows who else all there making a name for themselves under the watchful eye of Harry Littlewood. Across the road Jack the Hat was being gunned down by the Krays and there I was in my drainpipes, DA Haircut, my shirt with the Frankie Laine cutaway collar and feeling invincible.
I tell you, the sixties were the goods in every way - music, fashion and freedom to do what the hell you liked. :008: