watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

what were you doing 15 years ago?

Started by WhiteJC, February 04, 2011, 01:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

...no I can't remember either however, some joker on Sky said that we (Fulham FC) were 91st in the league and that Newcastle were 1st!

I do remember those dark days, but they seem far longer away than 15 years!

Considering that this is our 10th year in the Premiership, has any other club come so far so quickly?

Burt

I know we hit 91st after Torquay (I think it was them) beat us.

Dark days.

Was that really 15 years ago???

LBNo11

...Ahh the memories of losing to Torquay at 92nd in the league! Mr Fayed could have saved all the heartache and a considerable sum of money had he just bought the darkside instead of a team 3 division below the top flight...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

Amazing journey really. From the depths of the league to where we are now.

A suitable 15-year celebration of this milestone will be to see Cap'n Danny Murphy raise the FA Cup.

COYW

The Equalizer

I was probably about to go clubbing again in Bristol with my bleached white hair. Ah, the heady days of student life!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Lighthouse

Although it seems like yesterday an awful lot has happened since then. If you had told me what would happen with Fulham and what would happen outside of football I think I would have been slightly doubtful. The club have come a long way. I could point out what isn't so good about the game now compared to 15 years ago. Or I could just enjoy all the positives. So I will. Who would have thought 10 years in the Prem.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Vinnieffc

Staring at the league table on Teletext in disbelief. I remember it sooo well..

DukeTyrion

15 years ago I was in a snooker team and we sometimes used to get together to practice on Saturday mornings. What I remember most was all the stick I used to get before leaving to go to the match, especially from the QPR supporting team captain!

sipwell

I was almost unable to communicate in English at that time. :D
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

BalDrick

I met the lucky lady who is now my wife later that year, at this stage I was probably still interviewing for the post!
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

finnster01

In 1996 I was obsessed of building my own business and very tired listening to others telling me not to. Some good things came out of that and some bad too. At least I had decided to go for it.

Looking back I could have been smarter, but it came up pretty good in the end I think. If there is a moral to my story (and I am not sure there is), work hard, don't take anything for granted, and expect hurdles in your way

COYW!!!
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

epsomraver

timmyg

Like most 5th graders, probably getting in trouble for something ridiculous.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

CorkCity

In 1996 I was working 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week, on the construction of the Jack Lynch Tunnel, Cork.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

sacffc

I was in the middle of my 5 years as the coach of my daughter's soccer team (age 7 - 11).  We saw the Womens World Cup semifinal in '99 at Stanford (USA 2 Brazil 0).
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

Scrumpy

I'd just met the future Mrs S, and was working for a High Street Bank.

To give overseas Foffers, or younger members an idea of what it was like as a Fulham fan in those days.....

I played in a 5-a-side league in Guildford (25 miles from CC). About 40 players would be milling around on a Monday night. There was one Fulham shirt - me! I was treated like some kind of harmless oddity.

I could leave home, about 20 miles from CC, at 2.20pm, and still get parked up by the Tennis Courts in Bishops Park Rd and into the ground by 3pm.

We were never on TV. I think they had a highlights programme at about 1am on a Monday night which we would wait up for. They showed our goals, usually less than a minutes TV. Daily news was eagerly devoured by ringing up the Clubcall line. This cost a bloody fortune and I used to ring it from work!

On average, 3 or 4 thousand people would rattle around CC on matchday. Very few of the crowd were youngsters - mostly old or middle-aged gents living off the memories. The Riverside Stand had about half the seats missing, Hammersmith End was all terrace, as was the Putney and Enclosure. There were more weeds growing on the Putney End than away fans.

But , we were a small and proud band of brothers with great pride in the team and the area - something which has carried through to the present time despite all the changes.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

NogoodBoyo

On Friday, February 2, 1996 I was running a small international media company in New York City. We were French owned but overseen from London - an entente horribli.
My diary showed the following entries:
8am. Met MS (Agenda: Finance Dir. re structure/reponsibilites, hiring Finance Manager, Sales Inventive Scheme, Operations Incentive Scheme, Weekly Sales Report, Management Meeting Schedule)
10am. Met head-hunter to recruit VP of Sales & marketing
1-2.30pm Lunch + Company Auditors
2.30pm. Pitched Ogilvy & Mather NY
To Do List: Indianapolis, Agree strategy with baggage cart company for Honolulu & LAX re Acer & AT&T, Book Miami Heats tickets, Seek airline upgrade for AK, Agree Indianapolis financial strategy + Gp Finance Dir in London, Prepare for head-hunter, Agree Management Mtng Schedule, Agree Staff Meeting schedules, Proposal to Indianapolis - ALL COMPLETED.  Not done:  Respond to Economist party invitation, get back to Melissa at O&M, Contact lawyers, Prepare Miami

Looks like I was a busy little a-hole back then.  One thing I can assure you is Fulham's game against Torquay the next day didn't cross my mind once.
Nogood "businessmen can be so full of their own importance, like" Boyo