more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Almost Nearly Summer Silly Season Transfer Thread 2023

Started by Deeping_white, March 29, 2023, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: OZ-WHITE on September 07, 2023, 12:38:21 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 07, 2023, 12:13:36 PMQuestion is how many goals will Jimenez, Traore and Iwobi bring in, we've lost 20+ goals from Mitro and Solomon.

Iwobi isn't a forward , a midfielder now . Traore can play False 9 behind a striker , doubt we will ever see that . Most of our goals will have to come from set pieces now . Both Robinson and Tete have to start adding goals, the heavy lifting has to be shared around . Unless we bring in a Free agent like Nicola Sansone, we won't be adding another striker until the next transfer window

I never said Iwobi was a forward and I'm not sure playing Traore as a false nine is the best use of his talent, he's best on the right. Iwobi played on the left against us and did well, so he can play there or in the middle. Either way at £22m he needs to get goals and assists.

JimmyConway

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 07, 2023, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 07, 2023, 12:13:36 PMQuestion is how many goals will Jimenez, Traore and Iwobi bring in, we've lost 20+ goals from Mitro and Solomon.

Iwobi isn't a forward , a midfielder now . Traore can play False 9 behind a striker , doubt we will ever see that . Most of our goals will have to come from set pieces now . Both Robinson and Tete have to start adding goals, the heavy lifting has to be shared around . Unless we bring in a Free agent like Nicola Sansone, we won't be adding another striker until the next transfer window

Traore a false No 9 !! His style of play? apologies but he is possibly one of the most unlikeliest of footballers who could play in that position.

I never said Iwobi was a forward and I'm not sure playing Traore as a false nine is the best use of his talent, he's best on the right. Iwobi played on the left against us and did well, so he can play there or in the middle. Either way at £22m he needs to get goals and assists.

btffc

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 07, 2023, 01:08:42 PM

I would definitely be interested in seeing Iwobi at the 10 and Pereira out on the wing, left or right. If, as many say, that Iwobi is much better centrally than on the wing then that may be the way to extract the maximum out of the squad. Pereira's greatest strengths are from set pieces and tireless pressing. In open play in possession he gives the ball away a lot and is very often completely ineffective as a playmaker. On the wing, you lose nothing of his set pieces and perhaps get some very good ball delivery into the box in open play. Would lose him leading the press but he could still press effectively from the wing. Could possibly even set something up where Iwobi and Pereira swap their positions based on being in possession and out of possession.

Tabby

I count the goals between Mitro and Solomon to 20 not 20+. I guess a couple of them can be counted in through not having Mitro miss half our penalties.

Free Elvis Hammond

I think we'll see Iwobi next to Palhinha - he's really good at holding onto possession and carrying it forward. That's a bit of a gap for us

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Tabby on September 07, 2023, 02:31:01 PMI count the goals between Mitro and Solomon to 20 not 20+. I guess a couple of them can be counted in through not having Mitro miss half our penalties.

I thought Solomon scored 7? Was it 6?

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on September 07, 2023, 02:34:14 PMI think we'll see Iwobi next to Palhinha - he's really good at holding onto possession and carrying it forward. That's a bit of a gap for us

Can he tackle? We don't want to lose the bite in midfield.

btffc

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 07, 2023, 02:54:24 PM
Quote from: Tabby on September 07, 2023, 02:31:01 PMI count the goals between Mitro and Solomon to 20 not 20+. I guess a couple of them can be counted in through not having Mitro miss half our penalties.

I thought Solomon scored 7? Was it 6?

Mitro had 15 in all competitions and Solomon had 5.

Jim©

Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on September 07, 2023, 02:34:14 PMI think we'll see Iwobi next to Palhinha - he's really good at holding onto possession and carrying it forward. That's a bit of a gap for us

I agree. The one spot that the team (not squad) needed improving on was the return from our number 8 position- Harrison. There's a lot to like about him as a player but assists and goals aren't two of them. Iwobi IMO can really improve things in that position I think. Enough to fill the Mitro goals void (as in not just scoring but creating) who knows.

LC

Quote from: Jim© on September 07, 2023, 03:06:48 PM

I agree. The one spot that the team (not squad) needed improving on was the return from our number 8 position- Harrison. There's a lot to like about him as a player but assists and goals aren't two of them. Iwobi IMO can really improve things in that position I think. Enough to fill the Mitro goals void (as in not just scoring but creating) who knows.

I don't think we'll see this. Iwobi plays as a left forward or (from what I've read on this forum) as a number 10. I highly doubt he'll play alongside Palhinha in a midfield 2.

I actually think Iwobi will play ahead of Willian

SerbianLad

I doubt he'll play there tbf, before last season, he played something like 5 games in that position in his whole career, and even last season he played as an AM as many times as a CM while also playing on both wings. His output was by far the best in the AM position too and we already have two players in the 8 role in Reed and Lukic, while we have one left winger and our AM backup is TC, who is often injured. So I personally think we'll see him mostly play on the left or as a number 10.

JimmyConway

He is not an defensive midfielder playing him next to Palhinha like Lukic is not beneficial for the team or either player. I understand if you are chasing the game.
He normally plays wide left where Willian plays. Now Willian can play both sides whereas Wilson only seems to be effective cutting in on from right side. I would of though like most modern type of wide players he could play on the right ala Wilson.

filham

Wison, Willian, Traore and Iowi all have to be seriously looking for goals with a view to matching Jiminez on the end of season goal tally.

btffc

Quote from: SerbianLad on September 07, 2023, 03:31:27 PM
I doubt he'll play there tbf, before last season, he played something like 5 games in that position in his whole career, and even last season he played as an AM as many times as a CM while also playing on both wings. His output was by far the best in the AM position too and we already have two players in the 8 role in Reed and Lukic, while we have one left winger and our AM backup is TC, who is often injured. So I personally think we'll see him mostly play on the left or as a number 10.

We have BDR who can play on the LW and Adama can invert as well in a pinch so it's more than just Willian and Iwobi there. I do agree Iwobi is wasted at the 8 though. Lukic has been very good so far and both he and Reed can cover the 6. Iwobi is best used further up the pitch and I don't think we are strong enough defensively to use someone as progressive as Iwobi next to Palhinha unless it's lower competition or we are chasing goals.

SerbianLad

Quote from: btffc on September 07, 2023, 04:24:49 PM

We have BDR who can play on the LW and Adama can invert as well in a pinch so it's more than just Willian and Iwobi there. I do agree Iwobi is wasted at the 8 though. Lukic has been very good so far and both he and Reed can cover the 6. Iwobi is best used further up the pitch and I don't think we are strong enough defensively to use someone as progressive as Iwobi next to Palhinha unless it's lower competition or we are chasing goals.
Yes but if you add BDR and Adama as LW options, you can then also add TC and Andreas as number 8 options. My point being, number 8 position is probably the position where we have the best depth, both in quality and quantity. I doubt Iwobi will play there many times.

Agree with your Iwobi assesment. AM or LW are the two position where I think he can thrive the most.

filham

With speculation continuing over Palhina and Tosin it seems to me that this thread could continue up to and through the winter window.

We scuttled Palhinha's transfer because we were unable to find a suitable replacement, the chance are that he will be near retirement before we find a replacement for him.

alfie

Quote from: filham on September 08, 2023, 03:51:55 PMWith speculation continuing over Palhina and Tosin it seems to me that this thread could continue up to and through the winter window.

We scuttled Palhinha's transfer because we were unable to find a suitable replacement, the chance are that he will be near retirement before we find a replacement for him.
It's the same scenario as Mitro, the chances of finding a player that will replace him are not great. The problem Palhinha has now is play for Fulham knowing that they stopped your dream, and if you don't then Bayern may well find someone who they might prefer to him.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Jims Dentist

Re a left winger  I would like to see Wilson there as an authodox left winger carrying the ball and getting a left footed cross in.
I get fed up with the over reliance of inverted wingers cutting in for a shot.

Somerset Fulham

Joao will go to Bayern in January, it would be the only way to appease him in this instance I think. 

It means the player should remain motivated, there will be no bad blood and Bayern get their man, Joao gets an honestly dream move to a footballing giant and we get another stack of cash which will finally end our FFP woes.

filham

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 08, 2023, 08:01:42 PMJoao will go to Bayern in January, it would be the only way to appease him in this instance I think. 

It means the player should remain motivated, there will be no bad blood and Bayern get their man, Joao gets an honestly dream move to a footballing giant and we get another stack of cash which will finally end our FFP woes.
OK but who plays alongside Reed as the main defensive midfielder.