Main Menu

Gary Neville makes me sick!!

Started by davew, April 22, 2024, 10:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus Telford

Quote from: alfie on April 24, 2024, 11:37:59 AM
Quote from: Angus Telford on April 24, 2024, 10:20:25 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on April 23, 2024, 09:35:01 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 23, 2024, 09:27:37 AMDidn't he give the Qatar money to charity.....similar to Mr Lineker taking refugee's into his own home.... I think they're portrayed badly by certain area's of the media....

I can see your point, though the one thought keeps returning,"A mercenary who gives all his money to charity, is still a cold-bloodied mercenary". A couple of charitable acts by players (and ex players-truned-pundits) still is nothing like the likes of you or I giving ill-affordeable monies to charity.

Exactly, most of that sort (Lineker, Neville, even the likes of Rashford) preserve their own obscene income streams first and foremost, the moralising and politics are fairly superficial I'm afraid. That's why it gets a lot of people's backs up.
Most people who give to charity look after their own interests first, just like us ordinary people, I have just looked up both Gary's and they give vast amounts to charities.
Sometimes people are perceived to be something without knowing what they may or may not be doing.

You're not wrong but I'd level the same criticism at most of those people. Plenty of us (not
excluding myself) go through life doing things that are socially acceptable but nonetheless unethical, but it's far easier to throw an insignificant amount at some charity or Tweet something caring and tell ourselves that makes it ok, than it is to actually analyse and change how we conduct ourselves.

Nick Bateman

Neville is a two-faced hypocrite. He is outspoken and a poor man's Andy Gray because at least Andy Gray knew what he was talking about. Neville is infuriatingly "woke" until someone offers him a lot of money, then even his illiberal principles take a back seat.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Nick Bateman on April 24, 2024, 08:32:48 PMNeville is a two-faced hypocrite. He is outspoken and a poor man's Andy Gray because at least Andy Gray knew what he was talking about. Neville is infuriatingly "woke" until someone offers him a lot of money, then even his illiberal principles take a back seat.

Please explain what woke means

Fulham1959

The one that gets to me, as a co-commentator, is Andy Hinchcliffe  Did he ever make a mistake when he played football ?  He criticises everything players do, being so 'wise after the event' (obviously).

I don't mind Gary Neville as a co-commentator but I cannot abide Jamie Carragher, mostly his voice.  However, none of us is perfect and, it's easy to criticise from afar.

Fulham1959

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 24, 2024, 11:01:19 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on April 24, 2024, 08:32:48 PMNeville is a two-faced hypocrite. He is outspoken and a poor man's Andy Gray because at least Andy Gray knew what he was talking about. Neville is infuriatingly "woke" until someone offers him a lot of money, then even his illiberal principles take a back seat.

Awake to current trends.  (I stand to be corrected)

WokingFFC

Quote from: Fulham1959 on April 25, 2024, 10:30:21 AMThe one that gets to me, as a co-commentator, is Andy Hinchcliffe  Did he ever make a mistake when he played football ?  He criticises everything players do, being so 'wise after the event' (obviously).

I don't mind Gary Neville as a co-commentator but I cannot abide Jamie Carragher, mostly his voice.  However, none of us is perfect and, it's easy to criticise from afar.

I wish they did commentate on the game, but they don't, they are pundits, not commentators.

IMO, they just spout too much drivel and inane rubbish for 90+ minutes, which is so often biased.

alfie

Quote from: WokingFFC on April 25, 2024, 10:50:54 AM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on April 25, 2024, 10:30:21 AMThe one that gets to me, as a co-commentator, is Andy Hinchcliffe  Did he ever make a mistake when he played football ?  He criticises everything players do, being so 'wise after the event' (obviously).

I wish they did commentate on the game, but they don't, they are pundits, not commentators.

IMO, they just spout too much drivel and inane rubbish for 90+ minutes, which is so often biased.
It's only inane rubbish because you don't like it, they are pundits they give an opinion on what they see, they are not Fulham supporters, I've seen both Neville and Carragha give some fantastic complements to Fulham.
I think we as Fulham supporters can be very biased just as much.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: alfie on April 25, 2024, 12:44:04 PM

It's only inane rubbish because you don't like it, they are pundits they give an opinion on what they see, they are not Fulham supporters, I've seen both Neville and Carragha give some fantastic complements to Fulham.

I mean, there are some that actually believe that GJ is balanced.

Twig

Quote from: Fulham1959 on April 25, 2024, 10:31:54 AM

Actually the original meaning of the word was; aware of and alert to prejudice and discrimination.  I am always amazed when people use the term as an intended jibe or insult, personally I take any such accusations as a compliment.

perry geyton

"Champagne Liberals"
There really is nothing worse

Somerset Fulham

Yeah, how very dare people who have succeeded in life choose to share that wealth about a bit.

Outrageous.

WokingFFC

So you can read my mind can you? Thought not. So don't tell me why I think its inane!

You said co commentator, not me, I said they were pundits.

Just so you are aware, compliments are no commentary! I could not give a monkeys whether they compliment us, I want to listen to commentary of the game. As for supporters being biased, of course they will be - but they are not supporters being biased, they are professional, paid pundits / commentators which is totally different to supporters!!!!!!!!

A lot of their 'comments' have nothing to do with the game being played. If even one of them commentated on what was happening it would be different, it would help the partially sighted know what was happening. If you care to listen back to the 'commentary' from the game you will notice long periods of dead time with nothing being said, yet the ball is in play.

FFC1987

Quote from: Twig on April 25, 2024, 02:51:28 PM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on April 25, 2024, 10:31:54 AM

Actually the original meaning of the word was; aware of and alert to prejudice and discrimination.  I am always amazed when people use the term as an intended jibe or insult, personally I take any such accusations as a compliment.

Its just the new 'social justice warrior' before it was hijacked so both extremes. On the 'left' side of it, they took social awareness to mean, micro aggressions, or cultural appropriation, essentially muddying the waters (to some at least), whilst the right, took those extremes to conflate, the actual important things, glossing over social justice to the point of ridicule. Always the same sadly. Starts out well meaning, get's hijacked, largely by a vocal minority, which then gets ridiculed and watered down to very little meaning.

I recall 'feminism' has had the same treatment. Conflating the support for womans rights, to that of man hating. As always, there's a middle ground where these terms can be used sensibly, but sadly, the people that shout the loudest, tend to also be the cretins that devalue such words (again, on both sides).     

alfie

Quote from: WokingFFC on April 25, 2024, 04:42:04 PM

So you can read my mind can you? Thought not. So don't tell me why I think its inane!

You said co commentator, not me, I said they were pundits.

Just so you are aware, compliments are no commentary! I could not give a monkeys whether they compliment us, I want to listen to commentary of the game. As for supporters being biased, of course they will be - but they are not supporters being biased, they are professional, paid pundits / commentators which is totally different to supporters!!!!!!!!

A lot of their 'comments' have nothing to do with the game being played. If even one of them commentated on what was happening it would be different, it would help the partially sighted know what was happening. If you care to listen back to the 'commentary' from the game you will notice long periods of dead time with nothing being said, yet the ball is in play.

If you say so.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Arthur

Quote from: WokingFFC on April 25, 2024, 04:42:04 PMIf you care to listen back to the 'commentary' from the game you will notice long periods of dead time with nothing being said, yet the ball is in play.

Maybe the commentators are taking the advice of someone whom many consider to be one of sports' finest-ever commentators:

Quote from: ron on April 24, 2024, 02:32:01 AMI remember cricket's Richie Benaud's theory of sports broadcasting;...
.."I you can't add anything to what the viewer is seeing, then don't say anything at all.."
Wise words.

sarnian

WOKE  = World Of Knobhead Extremists.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: sarnian on April 25, 2024, 09:02:39 PMWOKE  = World Of Knobhead Extremists.

You're going to have to expand on this for me a little, because I really don't understand what you are getting at!

Angus Telford

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on April 25, 2024, 04:34:17 PMYeah, how very dare people who have succeeded in life choose to share that wealth about a bit.

Outrageous.

Ok so first of all isn't the whole "stop having a go at people who have succeeded in life" angle a bit Tory for you mate? 😉
But more seriously I think you're being a bit disingenuous and actually understand full well the points being made by Lineker's critics.
So you do yourself a disservice with dogmatic, tribal dismissals like this when you could at least contribute to the discussion with a semi-reasonable counterargument.
Same goes for those claiming they don't understand how "woke" can be pejorative, I think.

alfie

Quote from: Angus Telford on April 26, 2024, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on April 25, 2024, 04:34:17 PMYeah, how very dare people who have succeeded in life choose to share that wealth about a bit.

Outrageous.

Ok so first of all isn't the whole "stop having a go at people who have succeeded in life" angle a bit Tory for you mate? 😉
But more seriously I think you're being a bit disingenuous and actually understand full well the points being made by Lineker's critics.
So you do yourself a disservice with dogmatic, tribal dismissals like this when you could at least contribute to the discussion with a semi-reasonable counterargument.
Same goes for those claiming they don't understand how "woke" can be pejorative, I think.
I'm a little confused with all this Lineker stuff, maybe I have had my head in the sand, but what has he done to make people have a go at him?, personally I watch motd and I don't have an issue with him.
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't

Angus Telford

Quote from: alfie on April 26, 2024, 03:30:41 PM
Quote from: Angus Telford on April 26, 2024, 02:31:13 PM

Outrageous.

I'm a little confused with all this Lineker stuff, maybe I have had my head in the sand, but what has he done to make people have a go at him?, personally I watch motd and I don't have an issue with him.

Don't think anyone would criticise him for what he does on MOTD, he's undeniably an articulate and charismatic presenter (albeit not worth £1.5m or whatever  absurd amount he's paid now)