News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


NFR - Some people are panic buying

Started by H4usuallysitting, March 04, 2026, 12:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCity

Hilarious!  About panic buying....    :slap:

After having visited with my elderly Mom (just prior to her passing, though not covid related) just as covid was starting, it became apparent that one of the most critical and treasured commodities was TP.  And I wanted to leave her with an ample supply of same before my departure.  And of course, was very hard, if not impossible to find.  Was on a routine shopping visit for her at Walmart, and lo and behold, they had just received a shipment as I was entering store, and I could see those leaving with packages of TP in their carts.  They were limiting purchase of one only package, and I was lucky enough to pick up the largest size offered.  I have to tell you, it felt like winning the lottery!  Felt like I had struck gold!  And very happy I could leave Mom with a good supply when I left.

So, just yesterday I decided to buy another back up supply TP!  Ha, not necessarily a 'panic buy', but thought, what the heck, better safe than sorry. 

Yeah, I fell for the gag.........

Mickeyboro

Do you think you might have been ripped off?


H4usuallysitting

Petrol gone up again

Tuesday £1:27
Wednesday £1:29
Thursday £1:31
Saturday £1:32
Monday £1:33

john dempsey


H4usuallysitting

They're at it again panic buying fuel at Sainsbury's...only 2 pumps left of diesel... luckily I use petrol....but that is £1:38/ltr..... Don't Panic


Eton White

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 27, 2026, 07:14:19 PMThey're at it again panic buying fuel at Sainsbury's...only 2 pumps left of diesel... luckily I use petrol....but that is £1:38/ltr..... Don't Panic

If it's as cheap as that, I'm not surprised they're running out! Petrol's close to £1.50 a litre up here!

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Eton White on March 27, 2026, 08:29:25 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 27, 2026, 07:14:19 PMThey're at it again panic buying fuel at Sainsbury's...only 2 pumps left of diesel... luckily I use petrol....but that is £1:38/ltr..... Don't Panic

If it's as cheap as that, I'm not surprised they're running out! Petrol's close to £1.50 a litre up here!

On my way

Dodgin

I paid £1.52 to fill up as going on long trip, other petrol station was £1.54.


jarv

If you live in or near London (which I did for many, many years) why the heck do you need to drive a car?  After living abroad for over 30 years, returning home, I found using public transport very convenient and trains are comfortable. Add to that I am old now and the bus pass is a joy to have in my wallet.

Having said that, I miss the convenience of a car outside the house so I bought one which is very convenient at times, when it rains, which it does regulary here in the west of Scotland..  So far, 10 months in, mileage not reached anywhere near 2000 yet so the price of petrol does not bother me.

No panic buying for me.

I have to say, many years ago, I moved to London for work, from Sussex.  I ditched my car and used public transport for 3 years, never a problem and no fear of drink driving on the way home from the pub.

alfie

Quote from: jarv on March 29, 2026, 02:13:39 PMIf you live in or near London (which I did for many, many years) why the heck do you need to drive a car?  After living abroad for over 30 years, returning home, I found using public transport very convenient and trains are comfortable. Add to that I am old now and the bus pass is a joy to have in my wallet.

Having said that, I miss the convenience of a car outside the house so I bought one which is very convenient at times, when it rains, which it does regulary here in the west of Scotland..  So far, 10 months in, mileage not reached anywhere near 2000 yet so the price of petrol does not bother me.

No panic buying for me.

I have to say, many years ago, I moved to London for work, from Sussex.  I ditched my car and used public transport for 3 years, never a problem and no fear of drink driving on the way home from the pub.
Your not wrong, last year we got ourselves a Volvo V40, real nice car, fast good to drive, except it sits in the garage pretty much the whole week, was a glorified shopping trolley, but we don't even go to the shops now, due to mobility issues, really thinking about selling it.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

OZ-WHITE

Average price for diesel down here is now $3.19 , they are expecting that to rise to $3.28 in approx 2 weeks , most supermarkets have already raised prices and the State Government has brought in free Public Transport for a month to stop people from buying fuel
If it wasn't for the medication I,d be chewing on your skin


SP

Pretty much agree with you Jarv. We only use the car now for ferrying people to hospital appointments, picking up our grandson & trips to the coast. Wouldn't dream of driving to the Cottage, something we did for years.

Logicalman

3.70-3.90 bucks a gallon in Midwest atm.
Considering people tell me that the US is self-sufficient, then the US companies are making a tidy profit from the world suffering shortages.
I guess that's capitalism for ya.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

FFC007

Diesel is close to £1.80 down here...



keithh

Went out today to top up my 5 freezers and 2 sheds and certainly noticed fewer cars on the road.

Woolly Mammoth

Glad I have still got my horse and cart, and my Tesla of course, and there is nothing wrong with walking unless your on a plank.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

H4usuallysitting

Sainsbury's today £1:44/ litre of petrol


john dempsey

Thousands of young Iranian Boys and Girls killed for protesting,
a few pence on a litre of fuel is irrelevant to me.

bobbo

#59
Quote from: OZ-WHITE on March 29, 2026, 03:39:12 PMAverage price for diesel down here is now $3.19 , they are expecting that to rise to $3.28 in approx 2 weeks , most supermarkets have already raised prices and the State Government has brought in free Public Transport for a month to stop people from buying fuel
blimey I was in Sydney in November and it was $2.61 then . I just filled up my petroleum car this morning and was near Watford so popped into Costco there petrol e10 was at £141
1975 just leaving home full of hope