https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Player active on Message boards

Started by sipwell, February 21, 2011, 08:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImperialWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 22, 2011, 10:02:51 AM
Quote from: The Doctor on February 22, 2011, 10:00:46 AM
Fair comment, AFC.  I just don't hold with putting anyone on that much of a pedestal (for good or ill) that you think you somehow have a right to know the details of all the goings-on in their life.

A very subjective topic, for sure.  My views are undoubtedly formed from personal experience - just gets right under my skin when people sound off to all and sundry when they don't have the first clue what they're talking about!

Completely agree, and again I am not particularly interested in John Terry or whatever but when they make money from selling their wares publicly, they should be held accountable.

I agree with the priniciple, but Frank Lampard doesn't make money from being famous, does he? (asides from sponsorship I suppose, but I'd imagine Scholes also goes in for a bit of that sort of thing).

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on February 22, 2011, 10:07:07 AM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 22, 2011, 10:02:51 AM
Quote from: The Doctor on February 22, 2011, 10:00:46 AM
Fair comment, AFC.  I just don't hold with putting anyone on that much of a pedestal (for good or ill) that you think you somehow have a right to know the details of all the goings-on in their life.

A very subjective topic, for sure.  My views are undoubtedly formed from personal experience - just gets right under my skin when people sound off to all and sundry when they don't have the first clue what they're talking about!

Completely agree, and again I am not particularly interested in John Terry or whatever but when they make money from selling their wares publicly, they should be held accountable.

I agree with the priniciple, but Frank Lampard doesn't make money from being famous, does he? (asides from sponsorship I suppose, but I'd imagine Scholes also goes in for a bit of that sort of thing).

Thats what I am talking about though - why should people who continously do immoral things (JT) get paid for being public role models (which is essential what endorsements in advertisement are)?

Obviously Lampard has actually done nothing wrong, but for me, the price you pay for making boatloads of money for shilling a product is public scrutiny.

As for Scholes, he is rare in that he does not court public opinion, I actually cannot name an ad he has been in. Lampard on the other hand has been in Tesco ads, Pepsi ads, Walkers crisps and Addidas.

The Doctor

It's an interesting debate; at what point do they cross the line from somebody who does an effective job within a very public industry to someone who trades on a particular image for personal benefit.  The Terry case is a strange one, as I don't think he's ever traded on an image of being a wholesome family man so the gossip about him last year wasn't really contradictory to that.

In the case of Lampard, the marriage breakdown (and I think custody/care of the children was commented on as well) is not something that is part of the Lampard "package", if you see what I mean - e.g. he's not doing a "Wayne and Colleen", where each trades off the other's image to strengthen their own.  So for me that one stands as a case outside the usual debate about the ramifications of courting media attention

Another interesting angle is to what degree they're put there by the media to be shot at.  Brings in their agenda as well, thus forming some sort of mutual alliance that neither has any particular control over.

I guess I just fail to see the lure or point of being famous.  Maybe why I enjoy the relative anonymity of places such as this!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Doctor on February 22, 2011, 10:17:31 AM
It's an interesting debate; at what point do they cross the line from somebody who does an effective job within a very public industry to someone who trades on a particular image for personal benefit.  The Terry case is a strange one, as I don't think he's ever traded on an image of being a wholesome family man so the gossip about him last year wasn't really contradictory to that.

In the case of Lampard, the marriage breakdown (and I think custody/care of the children was commented on as well) is not something that is part of the Lampard "package", if you see what I mean - e.g. he's not doing a "Wayne and Colleen", where each trades off the other's image to strengthen their own.  So for me that one stands as a case outside the usual debate about the ramifications of courting media attention

Another interesting angle is to what degree they're put there by the media to be shot at.  Brings in their agenda as well, thus forming some sort of mutual alliance that neither has any particular control over.

I guess I just fail to see the lure or point of being famous.  Maybe why I enjoy the relative anonymity of places such as this!

sorry to have to post this but:

That is John Terry winning 'Daddy of the year 2009'

If I was rich, I would be one of those behind the scenes rich people who secretly control the entire world, not a celebrity.

LBNo11

...The Doctor said: "Maybe why I enjoy the relative anonymity of places such as this!"

Oi!!!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

There should be a right of privacy for private matters but that should be forfeited at the point that someone markets themselves - endorsements, sponsorship, employing PR people to make you money etc.

At that point I think you are fair game for whatever unpleasant things the media can find. Assuming, of course, that they're true.

The Doctor

AFC: I didn't even realise he'd "won" that!  I stand corrected.  I guess that particular deal has ended then!

LBNo11:  You know what I mean!  I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of people off here who know me by sight.  Strangely liberating to have the freedom to say what you want without someone shouting in your face if they don't agree with you - provided there's mutual respect of course, which is something that FoF excels at.  Might also explain why I'm not a massive Facebook user, despite having an account

ImperialWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 22, 2011, 10:20:38 AM
Quote from: The Doctor on February 22, 2011, 10:17:31 AM

If I was rich, I would be one of those behind the scenes rich people who secretly control the entire world, not a celebrity.

Nah, I'd go down the John Madejski route. If I won the lottery I'd buy a football club, rename the stadium and build a statue of myself from solid gold to put in the board room before the end of the week.

LBNo11

...AFCB, that is and was obscene and a reminder why I stopped buying Daddies sauce and why I wanted to find an outlet for OK sauce.

Terry father if the year? Didn't they find out that the MD of the company that made the sauce was a supporter of the dark side..?

PS: Can you remove that picture too..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: LBNo11 on February 22, 2011, 10:29:21 AM
...AFCB, that is and was obscene and a reminder why I stopped buying Daddies sauce and why I wanted to find an outlet for OK sauce.

Terry father if the year? Didn't they find out that the MD of the company that made the sauce was a supporter of the dark side..?

PS: Can you remove that picture too..?

I would remove it, but it sums up so perfectly this topic as well as actually being a fantastically bad look for mr.Terry

White Noise

Bill Hicks on Jay Leno doing Dorito's commercials -

You do a commercial and you are off the artistic roll call forever. End of story.

If you do a commercial there is a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is like a turd falling into my drink (caution bad language - NSFW) -

Bill Hicks rips Jay Leno

richie17

Liam Rosenior definitely read Craven Cottage Newsround at least once.

The Doctor

I hope his magnificent goal-stopping 'fro was suitably commended!

The Equalizer

Quote from: The Doctor on February 22, 2011, 10:28:19 AM
AFC: I didn't even realise he'd "won" that!  I stand corrected.  I guess that particular deal has ended then!

LBNo11:  You know what I mean!  I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of people off here who know me by sight.  Strangely liberating to have the freedom to say what you want without someone shouting in your face if they don't agree with you - provided there's mutual respect of course, which is something that FoF excels at.  Might also explain why I'm not a massive Facebook user, despite having an account

I'm watching you...  :58:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

richie17

Quote from: The Doctor on February 22, 2011, 11:13:33 AM
I hope his magnificent goal-stopping 'fro was suitably commended!

it was funny, I wrote how I'd seen him leaving the ground with his dad, and in fact it was his best mate... I wasn't the first to make the mistake, and said mate was a bit miffed as he was only in his 20s.  Leroy does look very young though, in my defence....

The Doctor

Why would he be miffed?!  Imagine all the "kids eat free" deals you could take advantage of!

White Noise

Various players relatives are on Cottage Corner and probably on here. I think Stockers Mum is on here and his sister keeps an eye on Cottage Corner for him and he looks in himself. I think Zoltans Dad or brother is on Cottage Corner and I have posted about others on here that I have found on there. Stockers Aunt is on CC and I think Duff's brother. The players therefore probably here about some of the stuff on the boards one way or another. Stockers was answering messagebaord questions on his Twitter recently.

When Stockers joined from Darlo his Mum posted to say how proud they were.

sipwell

On topic (:P): the Bruges player's contract was ended yesterday. He is a free agent now. Apparently he also posted on the forum of a team he wanted to go and play for (he told them how good he was).

Apparently the writer(s) didn't know that a forum always logs your IP. His girlfriend and brother admitted to writing all those threads/replies in the forum.

The great irony of it all is that Telenet - ISP in Belgium - has a system of fixed IPs... and is one of the sponsors of Bruges FC. In other words: they are responsible for the fact that one of the players of the team they financially support has been sacked now (and Bruges didn't receive any money for him, instead they LOST a transfer fee and had to cough up money to terminate his contract).
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!