watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Player active on Message boards

Started by sipwell, February 21, 2011, 08:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipwell

This is too funny not to share and may help you guys get over your frustrations regarding yesterday's game. I unfortunately did not see it (nor did I see the summary) but no doubt I'll see it soon and be as grumpy/annoyed as some of you are ;-)

Yesterday it was announced that former international (he quit playing for the national team as a result of a disagreement with the manager) Stijn Stijnen was banned to the B-team of Club Brugge, a former Belgian glory but still playing regular European football. It was odd at first since Stijnen was what was called "the face of Club Brugge", defending the team when in crisis and being its captain. After his injury last year, he never really recovered and a younger goalie is now keeping instead of him. He had vented frustration, but that is normal I guess.

Now it turned out that Stijnen (or somebody in his environment) had been anonymously posting on internet fora of/on the club, criticizing his two competitors for a place in goal and his other team mates, criticizing the manager and criticizing the management for being short-sighted. He was also very active in telling how good he was and how committed he was to Club Bruges. All in all, he had been active since November (!) in this operation, earning himself a reputation as a critical poster and 'Stijnen lover'. Funnily enough he was, at one time, holding a conversation with himself (with two accounts) of how good "Stijnen" was and how bad all the others.

If somebody needs a goalkeeper with a bad reputation (and in my opinion a bad goalkeeper), he'll probably be extremely cheap.

Now, who would be the secret Fulham player posting on this board? Any thoughts?  :011:
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

FatFreddysCat

I know Volzy used to post, and i suspect Etuhu was on here not that long ago.

finnster01

Don't know about posting, but I know for a fact that several read the site ever so often.

Which begs another question, who do you think of the current Fulham players sit when they pee?  :032:

I reckon Danny sits. He is too old and clever to stand
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: finnster01 on February 21, 2011, 10:52:08 AM
Don't know about posting, but I know for a fact that several read the site ever so often.

Which begs another question, who do you think of the current Fulham players sit when they pee?  :032:

Out of interest, how do you know some of the players pop in?

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 21, 2011, 11:07:10 AM

Because some told me when I asked.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: finnster01 on February 21, 2011, 12:05:41 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on February 21, 2011, 11:07:10 AM

Because some told me when I asked.

Funny, I wonder what they think of us idiots posting at all hours about something as relatively inconsequential to the greater scheme of things like football.

Also, for some players, it cannot do their mindset much. At least Sally cannot speak English atm!

White Noise

Chris Coleman definitely used to read them because someone was working round his house and he had the official baord up on his computer.

RH referred directly to Zamora reading too many messagebaords when all the agressive goal celebration stuff was going on.

I think its human nature to read them. You see interviews with retired sports stars where they say that they would advise young sports pros to just not read the papers but in any dressing room/club you will always get them and lets face it, football players have eff all else to do.

I think that, even though most sports professional are not the brightest, they still recognise that many members of the public are suffering from different strengths of mental illness and that a lot of what the fans do/say should be looked at in that context. When you realise how many different forms of mental illness there are and how many people suffer from them it makes life a whole lot clearer.

Now, back to my OCD! :59:

FatFreddysCat

Put it this way if you was a footballer wouldn't you want to know what the fans are saying bout you. And as WN put it "they have feck all else to do" .

Burt

I resent that Mr FFC sir.

We work really hard.

I have to get up by 9am every day, and when it is not a match day have to undertake the arduous task of communting from Oxshott to Motspur Park in my Bentley in time for lunch. Then after a couple of hours stretching and fannying around with this weird round object I have to go home and boot up the Playstation. I'm lucky if I am back by 4pm!

sipwell

Quote from: Burt on February 21, 2011, 01:22:51 PM

We work really hard.

I have to get up by 9am every day, and when it is not a match day have to undertake the arduous task of communting from Oxshott to Motspur Park in my Bentley in time for lunch. Then after a couple of hours stretching and fannying around with this weird round object I have to go home and boot up the Playstation. I'm lucky if I am back by 4pm!

How come you are posting then during the afternoon, mr. Burt, Sir?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

jarv

The one thing I don't like on the board is when posters get over critical of individual Fulham players. If I played, I think I would respond to the individual accordingly and let him know who I am. (My Scottish temperament). It is OK to say that, for example, Baird dropped his standards yesterday. I am sure nobody knows that better than Baird.
I doubt EJ read this site, else he surely would have defended himself. :58:

I do hope Sanchez reads it though :bump:

cebu

Quote from: jarv on February 21, 2011, 01:41:34 PM
The one thing I don't like on the board is when posters get over critical of individual Fulham players. If I played, I think I would respond to the individual accordingly and let him know who I am. (My Scottish temperament). It is OK to say that, for example, Baird dropped his standards yesterday. I am sure nobody knows that better than Baird.

Sanchez can read?   :58:

Burt

Quote from: sipwell on February 21, 2011, 01:24:24 PM
Quote from: Burt on February 21, 2011, 01:22:51 PM

We work really hard.

How come you are posting then during the afternoon, mr. Burt, Sir?

Mr Hughes gave us the day off so we could plan our well deserved trip to the Algarve. Packing takes a lot of time, and also trying to figure out which of my many mistresses to take with me has proven to be a bit of a headache.

White Noise

I liked it when Adrian Durham referred to Jamie Carragher as a bottler for withdrawing from international duty to concentrate on his club football. Carragher phoned up and offered him out on live radio.

MJG

I'm sure the club and staff read the boards, how many times has a mistake been made on the main site,mentioned on a forum and then changed.
Also, and I'm taking the credit on this one, earlier in the season I posted how in the pre match warm-up the twenty odd coaches we had would watch what was going on and also one would bring out about 12 bottles of lucozade or something like that, and then carry them back to the cottage, only to then bring them all back out when the players came out...and then at ht back to the cottage and then out for the second half.....next game they come out pre match and stay in the dugout. Sad that I spot these things but hey we dont have any pre match cravenettes to watch.

MJG

Quote from: White Noise on February 22, 2011, 08:39:26 AM

I liked it when Adrian Durham referred to Jamie Carragher as a bottler for withdrawing from international duty to concentrate on his club football. Carragher phoned up and offered him out on live radio.

Just proves the point that players read about themselves and also listen to call-in programes. At least carragher answered the questions and put his pov.

The Doctor

Didn't Lampard also phone in when some radio host started opining on the breakdown of his marriage?  Absolutely took the bloke to pieces on air if memory serves.  And good on him - frankly it's nobody else's fecking business and therefore they have no right to comment, irrespective of whether you're Prince Charles, Frank Lampard or Mr Jones from no. 24.

The only problem is that the players phoning in gives these parasites yet more publicity.  Catch-22 in my opinion

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Doctor on February 22, 2011, 09:37:27 AM
Didn't Lampard also phone in when some radio host started opining on the breakdown of his marriage?  Absolutely took the bloke to pieces on air if memory serves.  And good on him - frankly it's nobody else's fecking business and therefore they have no right to comment, irrespective of whether you're Prince Charles, Frank Lampard or Mr Jones from no. 24.

The only problem is that the players phoning in gives these parasites yet more publicity.  Catch-22 in my opinion

Depends on your outlook. As far as I am concerned, if you make money from being famous and in the public eye, then you forfeit a right to a certain amount of privacy. I am not a huge fan of gossip and the celebrity industry myself, but if you are making money from other people via your 'image rights' and whatnot, then you are fair game.

It may not be nice, but tough luck, you can just as easily do a Paul Scholes and stay away from all media spotlight.

The Doctor

Fair comment, AFC.  I just don't hold with putting anyone on that much of a pedestal (for good or ill) that you think you somehow have a right to know the details of all the goings-on in their life.

A very subjective topic, for sure.  My views are undoubtedly formed from personal experience - just gets right under my skin when people sound off to all and sundry when they don't have the first clue what they're talking about!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Doctor on February 22, 2011, 10:00:46 AM
Fair comment, AFC.  I just don't hold with putting anyone on that much of a pedestal (for good or ill) that you think you somehow have a right to know the details of all the goings-on in their life.

A very subjective topic, for sure.  My views are undoubtedly formed from personal experience - just gets right under my skin when people sound off to all and sundry when they don't have the first clue what they're talking about!

Completely agree, and again I am not particularly interested in John Terry or whatever but when they make money from selling their wares publicly, they should be held accountable.