more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Right - I'm going to say it...

Started by Tktd, February 24, 2011, 11:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clint23

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 24, 2011, 05:43:19 PM
Everything has been well put forward here. But I am bemused that Clint Falling down is a criticism of him. We have one player who has mastered the art of winning fouls and penalties and yet we have a go at him. While other teams seem to use it as part of their training structure.

For my part I think Dempsey is in the top three most important players we have.

:clap_hands:

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: mccscratch on February 24, 2011, 03:48:52 PM
Instead of refuting your obnoxious claims, just enjoy this video in which you will see why Dempsey shoots from distance (in the first 30 secs), how he does in fact have a goal poachers instinct, how he is the best header of the ball we have on this team (including Brede who is 5 inches+  taller) and the ability to score pure determination goals (checkout the Blackburn goal).... and these are not even from this season or much of last...no Juve or Stoke goals to glam it up...

Clint Dempsey Fulham Star

1 went in from outside the box - doesn't prove he should shoot from distance
Heading - great
The rest just reinforce my point of him being a poacher that takes all the credit for other people's hard work.
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

LordNelson

"................that takes all the credit for other people's hard work."

Why do you continue to beclown yourself with asinine statements like this?
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

BarryP

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on February 24, 2011, 07:50:30 PM
1 went in from outside the box - doesn't prove he should shoot from distance
Heading - great
The rest just reinforce my point of him being a poacher that takes all the credit for other people's hard work.

I will agree with you that Clint has the habit of being a goal poacher but it stems not only from others hard work but to Clint's hard work off the ball.  One of Clint's better attributes is his ability to read the game and make an incisive run into the box to make himself available.  Clint may not be the fastest or most athletically gifted player in the Prem but it is amazing how often he manages to outwork defenders to get into those goal poaching positions.  

What you see as Clint taking credit for other peoples hard work I see as Clint being the complimentary player to finish off the other players hard work.  After all if someone is not there to finish off a cross then all the other hard work has gone to waste.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

ImperialWhite

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 24, 2011, 02:54:34 PM
I just wanted to add, in reply to the criticism that Demps takes the odd 30-35 yard shot - someone has to do that from time to time. If it's never done, then defenses don't have to respect that portion of the field and that makes every thing inside that 30-35 yards much tougher to break down. Shooting from there draws defending teams out and creates more space to operate closer to goal.

Obviously the shot isn't going to come off often. Its the fact that he and others have demonstrated the ability to score from out there from time to time combined with the value of that potential goal given that Fulham are usually so good defensively that forces teams to defend it.

Spot on, this. I think keeping possession is a valuable thing, but if you don't just have a blummin' shot on goal every once in a while, the defence learns that it can sit back and soak up the pressure. I think we sometimes do just play pass ball outside the box too much sometimes, and it takes a pop shot from Demps to force the defense out sometimes.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: LordNelson on February 24, 2011, 08:06:54 PM
"................that takes all the credit for other people's hard work."

Why do you continue to beclown yourself with asinine statements like this?

Ha ha, yes, exactly.

When Bobby was banging them in, he was a star.

When Dempsey does (and he's outscoring Bobby) he's "taking credit for other people's work". When does a striker not do this?

For the record:
09 10 top league scorer Zamora, 8
10 11 top league scorer Dempsey 9

09 10 total goals top scorer (sans Europa) Zamora 11
10 11 total goals top scorer Dempsey 10 (with 11 games still to play, he's only two goals from beating Zamora's haul last season)

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

big fish in a small pond,I like the guy a lot but lets be honest, if you put him in the Arsenal team he wouldn't get a touch of the ball-harsh but true.
But he still is massively important to us and what he does he does well but he has his faults, but be grateful for them,because if he didn't he wouldn't be at Fulham.......................

nevzter

He's not the best, nor even great, however, Dempsey has performed and supported Fulham with the whole of his heart.  And to this, he's slagged off.  Certainly, he has his faults, as do all players, but to knock Dempsey this season, when his goals have kept Fulham afloat, rings of bias and preconceived prejudice.  Irrefutable.  Get over yourselves and maintain a hope in your heart that he can be sold for a tidy profit this summer.  Jeebus.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

richie17

must be a windup, this.   

The best bit was the "poaching to get on the end of others' hard work".  Ruud van Nistelrooy was the worst for this, he'd lazily score 30-40 a season by doing nothing but poaching on the end of others' good work.  Terrible he was.   That Lineker was much the same, rubbish he was.   These lazy players with their overrated instincts and ability to find space and anticipate events... tsk.   

I think the polarisation aspect is overstated too:  at the ground you see hundreds of Dempsey shirts.  People doubted him a couple of years ago, but I think he's proved himself now.   He's a good Fulham player and just the sort of character you can imagine Hughes likes having in the team.  I do think he's been off colour since going back to the left flank, but this is part of the game, and he's already done his bit for us this season. 

Luke

Dempsey has hit 37 shots on target, and only Didier Drogba (39) has hit more shots on target in the PL this season than him, now all you Dempsey haters will say that he should have hit the back of the net more then. But surely this shows that he gives us an attacking edge that none of our other attacking players have. I can't believe Dempsey is hated, but yet a striker with a goals to game ratio of 1 in 8 in the league, Johnson; gets away so lightly, yes he may set up goals but the amount of one on ones he has missed has cost us many more points than Dempsey has.
Here's Davies..... It's on, It is on!!

epsomraver

Quote from: Luke on February 25, 2011, 10:26:51 AM
Dempsey has hit 37 shots on target, and only Didier Drogba (39) has hit more shots on target in the PL this season than him, now all you Dempsey haters will say that he should have hit the back of the net more then. But surely this shows that he gives us an attacking edge that none of our other attacking players have. I can't believe Dempsey is hated, but yet a striker with a goals to game ratio of 1 in 8 in the league, Johnson; gets away so lightly, yes he may set up goals but the amount of one on ones he has missed has cost us many more points than Dempsey has.

I have not read anywhere that Dempsey is hated?? just that some people don't rate him as high as others, be interesting to see the how much of Dempsey's support is from " over the pond" where he can do no wrong :hook:

SmithyFFC

Dempseys a decent player, but he is some overrated by some of us, and himself, its laughable. Most would have us believe hes champions league quality- no a chance.

He has very little of no pace, he goes down far to easily and doesn't seem to work hard at closing down, therefore giving the opposing teams defenders years on the ball. 

Yes he has scored some very, very important goals for us. But lets not forget, the goal he scored against Juve was a cross!

I think that this season Clints lost the thing that made him so popular amongest the fans- hard work. He doesn't seem to run around the pitch with the same determination which he once did, which is disappointed, although his goal tally has increased, it does annoy me how he gets some much credit when players such as Hangeland, Hughes, Murphy and Schwarzer, who are just as valuable to the team, seem to get so little credit.

Would I be sad to seem Dempsey go? Yes. Is he irreplacable? No.
FTID

epsomraver

Sorry but whilst I agree with most of your comments, the Juv goal was meant, he looked up and went for that, seeing the GK off his line, credit where credit is due.

Blingo

I cant believe that so many of you have bitten on this pointless topic. Dempsey has earned his stripes at FFC full stop. The rest is just bs.

ImperialWhite

Quoteit does annoy me how he gets some much credit when players such as Hangeland, Hughes, Murphy and Schwarzer, who are just as valuable to the team, seem to get so little credit.

They get tonnes of credit both on here, by other fans and in the press. The possible exception is Hughes, who doesn't get mentioned much in the press, but that it is more than made up for with praise on here (Mr Aaron "he's so underated he's actually overrated" Hughes).

QuoteDempseys a decent player, but he is some overrated by some of us, and himself, its laughable. Most would have us believe hes Champions League quality- no a chance.

(I've helpfully underlined the Champions League players whom he's matched or beaten for goal scoring this season)

He's scored as many goals as: Gyan, Nasri, Van Persie, Torres, Malouda, Cahill, Nani.

He's outscored: Bale, Chamakh, Hernandez, Kalou, Walcott, Anelka, Arshavin,.

QuoteYes he has scored some very, very important goals for us.

Not forgetting the nine league goals he's scored for us (in the 17th lowest scorers in the league) that have kept us up this season.

QuoteWould I be sad to seem Dempsey go? Yes. Is he irreplacable? No.

Platitude, check. Of course he isn't irreplacable. When you're a small budget midtable club none of your players will irreplacable, or you would have flogged 'em to someone else ages ago.

Logicalman

Quote from: epsomraver on February 25, 2011, 10:30:35 AM
I have not read anywhere that Dempsey is hated?? just that some people don't rate him as high as others, be interesting to see the how much of Dempsey's support is from " over the pond" where he can do no wrong :hook:

Don't even go there... this board has a policy of NOT splitting European and US supporters apart, unlike maybe some other places try, even with the hook icon.

For the record, I am one of those supporters from 'over the pond' but I lived the first 40 years in the UK, and I support Dempsey to the hilt, as I support our other players.

Logicalman

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on February 25, 2011, 12:52:51 AM
big fish in a small pond,I like the guy a lot but lets be honest, if you put him in the Arsenal team he wouldn't get a touch of the ball-harsh but true.
But he still is massively important to us and what he does he does well but he has his faults, but be grateful for them,because if he didn't he wouldn't be at Fulham.......................

.. can you name any other midfield/forward at Fulham (except Dembele) that is different?

I haven't seen people mugging Sparky for AJ, Duff, Sidwell, Murphy, Gera, Davies, Gudjohnsen or Greening either, especially the likes of Arsenal, or any other top 10 Prem team.

nevzter

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on February 25, 2011, 12:18:22 PM
Dempseys a decent player, but he is some overrated by some of us, and himself, its laughable.

Would 17th or 18th position be "laughable"? 
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Jimbobob

Quote from: Blingo on February 25, 2011, 12:33:17 PM
I cant believe that so many of you have bitten on this pointless topic. Dempsey has earned his stripes at FFC full stop. The rest is just bs.
+1  :54: :54: :54: :54:
Cheers to you Blingo!!!  :beer: :beer: :beer:
Unnecessary wind up before a big match...serves no purpose whatsoever.......
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?