Main Menu

Sparky Hopes Gera Will Stay

Started by White Noise, April 06, 2011, 07:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Hughes hopes Gera will stay at Fulham

By Jacob Murtagh

Apr 6 2011

MARK Hughes has not given up hope of keeping Zoltan Gera at Fulham.

The Hungarian looks set to leave Craven Cottage in the summer after refusing to sign a new deal in SW6.

Gera has fallen way down the Whites pecking order, and failed to even make the bench for Sunday's victory over Blackpool.

But Hughes insists he still wants the 31-year-old to stay at the club.

He said: "I had a conversation with Zolly before he left. He understands and knows my feelings in terms of what I feel about him - I want him to remain a Fulham player.

"He's keeping his options open now because he's able to do that."

However, the Fulham boss has slammed Gera's agent, Vladan Filipovic, and accused him of trying to lure the player away from west London.

Hughes added: "His agent has been quite vocal, [speaking] in terms of we, rather than Zolly, so maybe he's had an influence where he thinks Zolly should go rather than letting the boy himself make his mind up.

"If he does leave and thinks that it's the best for his career I would be disappointed because I want him to stay."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/04/06/hughes-hopes-gera-will-stay-at-fulham-82029-28465587/#ixzz1IinLdzgv

MJG

On this occasion I just do not believe Hughes.
Its been clear almost from the first game MH was in charge that he does not fancy Gera. This sounds almost like the club trying to get him to sign, only to then sell him before the end of the first transfer window in August so they get a fee.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: MJG on April 06, 2011, 07:44:21 AM
Its been clear almost from the first game MH was in charge that he does not fancy Gera. This sounds almost like the club trying to get him to sign, only to then sell him before the end of the first transfer window in August so they get a fee.

I just think he's being nice about a likeable player.

Hodgson dropped Gera but he played himself back into the team. This season Gera's done nothing with the opportunities he's had.

BalDrick

'This season Gera's done nothing with the opportunities he's had.'

And that's the key isn't it? Nothing to do with Hughes not liking the guy, more that he simply hasn't performed adequately to keep his place week-in, week-out. Of course a run of games might fix that but Hughes is almost spoilt for choice already - Kakuta and Gudjohnsen can't get more than a place on the bench between them at the moment. I suspect he'll go, and if he does I hope a) it's abroad so he doesn't come back to haunt us (except on our European tours...) and b) he gets the game time he clearly desperately not only wants but needs.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Tonywa

It seems to me that, quite rightly, Sparky is trying to make sure we have a really strong squad and wants to keep as many good players as possible for cover.  What he is finding, however, is that while players of the quality he wishes to retain might be reasonably happy sitting on the bench for (say) Manchester United, they are far less likely to be so fulfilling the same function for a club of our size. Fat of life, I'm afraid.

epsomraver

Quote from: TonyGilroy on April 06, 2011, 09:10:53 AM
Quote from: MJG on April 06, 2011, 07:44:21 AM

I just think he's being nice about a likeable player.

Hodgson dropped Gera but he played himself back into the team. This season Gera's done nothing with the opportunities he's had.
What opportunities? he has been coming on very late usually fighting a lost cause, he needs to team up with Bobby but what do you do with Dembele or Johnson ?, Gera's problem has always been confidence, when he first came he was booed, he ran around like a headless chicken trying to impress, then he got his form, the goals came and the rest is history, he is back to square one now.

TonyGilroy

Not only do we now have very good players on the bench we have others who can't even find a place in the squad.

I like Gera. And Pantsil and Greening but who do they replace? Having a strong squad means that players have to earn a place and make the most of whatever opportunities they get.

It's probably true that if Gera got a run of 3 or 4 games his form would improve and he'd look the part but instead of who? No one deserves to be dropped.

As it is Gera was getting on the pitch most games albeit only for 10 or 15 minutes but he was usually anonymous. That was his opportunity and now he's not even in the squad.

I'd like to see more of Kakuta and Gudjohnson and Simon Davies always gives value but Hughes can only play 11.

epsomraver

Exactly Tony a nice dilemma for Hughes now, only a few can expect to play every game they are fit now, but some players don't want to be bench warmers.

BalDrick

I would venture to suggest we currently have the strongest squad we've ever had in our Prem years - was amazed when Simon came on late on in Sunday's game because I'd almost forgotten he's still with us. Shame really because we've never seen him at his best but age and injuries simply mean he's lower down the pecking order (one in the eye for all the Taffia accusers).

AlFayedsChequebook

Gera will go purely because he wants to be starting every game, something that we cannot offer him. I admire his desire to do this, he really is interested in playing rather than picking up a cheque.

It is sad to see him go, but ultimately I am sure it is better for both parties. It gives us an opportunity to get younger or bring through some youth and Gera an opportunity to sign for another club of his choice for one final pay day.

Having veterans on the bench is very desireable, but this position has been filled by Simon Davies who is not only happy to make fleeting cameo appearances, but looks set to retire at Fulham. With Davies, we also know that we could bring him in and the team would not decrease in quality in any real way, which is a great place to be in.

epsomraver

Pantsil and Gera to WBA , I reckon

finnster01

Pants and Gera  :038:
and no  :dft004: from me
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

Quote from: finnster01 on April 06, 2011, 10:42:32 AM
Pants and Gera  :038:
and no  :dft004: from me

It pains me to say, but I agree with Mr. Finn  :005:  ( :004: ?)

Gera never brought what he did last year and Pants, well, is Pants.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

richie17

I expect Hughes does want to keep him. Who wouldn't like that sort of quality deep in the ranks?  I've always argued that it's not Eddie Johnson's fault that he's not good enough, and that a sixth choice striker isn't going to be all that. Well remarkably we have some pretty gifted players in Gera's position, and he probably is about sixth choice.  In some ways it's a silly misallocation of talent for a smallish club - a comparable quality spare full-back, centre-mid and centre-forward would be nice - but that's the way it's gone.

I think it's a shame he hasn't seen more time on the field.  To my mind we have two players who can find space in a crowded area: Dempsey and Gera.  For that reason alone I think he's been a bit underused in tight games and will be missed, but as others have said, you can't just keep a player against his wishes when his contract's run out.  I'm glad we saw him thriving and he won't leave as a "what might have been?" player.  Clearly he'll never forget 09-10.

White Noise

Keep them all says I - we are going to need them in the Europa next season. If I was Hughes that would be something I would keep an eye on because it is announced before season end isn't it and it would be a considerable carrot to offer to young and older players to tempt them to stay. Everyone got lots of game time last season.

As for Simon Davies, he can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. Was willing to play for us in The Championship before the Pompey game and will surely finish his career with us now.

Peabody

If you read Simon Davis's article in FulTime, he accepts his current position and understands it. He makes the point that when he does get a chance, then it's up to him to grab it.

ImperialWhite

I feel like we don't really show our appreciation to Davies enough.

Gera always gets a hearty "GERA! GERA!" when subbed on, Davies has applause.

Perhaps some of the H5ers should pull their fingers out and come up with a decent chant!  :54:

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on April 06, 2011, 02:37:06 PM

Perhaps some of the H5ers should pull their fingers out and come up with a decent chant!  :54:

The constant Gera chants when he is not even on the bench annoy me. It feels as though people are telling whoever is coming on/the players on the team that the fans think Gera would do better than them.

BalDrick

Quote from: ImperialWhite on April 06, 2011, 02:37:06 PM

Amazing isn't it, especially when his name scans perfectly for 'Simon Davies, Simon Davies, Simon Davies on the wing'. To the tune of you're not singing, which is Bread of Heaven isn't it?

Insert nogood comment here...

RidgeRider

Quote from: White Noise on April 06, 2011, 11:39:51 AM
Keep them all says I - we are going to need them in the Europa next season. If I was Hughes that would be something I would keep an eye on because it is announced before season end isn't it and it would be a considerable carrot to offer to young and older players to tempt them to stay. Everyone got lots of game time last season.

As for Simon Davies, he can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. Was willing to play for us in The Championship before the Pompey game and will surely finish his career with us now.

LOTS of good points but this one hit home with. Hughes will want to state publicly his desire to keep Gera because he will NEED Gera next year when we are in the Europa League.