Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (03.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 03, 2011, 06:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Rovers told to increase bid or miss out on Freiburg hotshot Papiss Cisse

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 1:22 AM on 3rd May 2011

Blackburn have been told Freiburg striker Papiss Cisse  will cost them £13million after Freiburg sporting director Dirk Dufner confirmed Rovers had made an offer.

It is believed to be around £6m. The Senegal player, 25, has been watched by Fulham, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Wanted man: Cisse is being tracked by a number of Premier League clubs

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1382864/Rovers-told-increase-bid-miss-Freiburg-hotshot-Papiss-Cisse.html#ixzz1LGQzMTFg

White Noise

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/american-exports-dempseys-injury-not-serious

American Exports: Dempsey's injury not serious

Fulham expect to have US star back in lineup when Liverpool visit

Greg Seltzer MLSsoccer.com May 3, 2011

(Getty Images) AMSTERDAM – After holding Clint Dempsey out of their weekend win at Sunderland due to a hamstring complaint, Fulham are hoping to have their top gun back in the holster for next week's visit from Liverpool.

Manager Mark Hughes did not wish to test fate with what can become a tricky nag, but expects the US star back in training after a short rest.

"Clint didn't travel to Sunderland due to a tight hamstring on Friday," Fulham press officer Carmelo Mifsud told MLSsoccer.com. "The manager did not want to risk him and therefore left him out as a precaution."

The Cottagers ensured Premier League safety with three games to spare by beating Sunderland and are also closing in on a UEFA Fair Play invite to next term's Europa League.

With the thought of July Europa League qualification matches looming, Dempsey had already asked the boss for a break at that time to recuperate from the upcoming CONCACAF Gold Cup in June.

Dempsey's next appearance will make it four straight seasons playing at least 40 competitive matches for the Cottagers. The Gold Cup will be his third straight summer on tournament duty for the US national team, following involved runs at the 2009 Confederations Cup and 2010 World Cup.

"I haven't had much of a rest in the summer since I came to Fulham," Dempsey recently told reporters. "I do need a bit of break, hopefully the 17 to 19 days that's normal to recharge the batteries. The Gold Cup is important for the USA and it's not due to end until June 26 or 28."

Still, the man they call Deuce on both sides of the Atlantic is already targeting another shot at UEFA glory after a runners-up finish at the 2010 Europa League final. He will certainly hope that his teammates can make light work of any rounds he may miss while on rest and relaxation.

"I would like to think we could do what we did in the past," declared Dempsey last week. "I don't think [the Europa League run] was a fluke. I think we have the quality here and hopefully we can show that."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6910453,00.html

Senderos happy to be back

Centre-half glad to finally make Cottagers debut

Last Updated: May 2, 2011 6:28pm

Philippe Senderos was thrilled to make his long-awaited debut for Fulham against Sunderland at the weekend.

The Swiss centre-back, who arrived at Craven Cottage from Arsenal last June, started Saturday's 3-0 victory at the Stadium of Light.

The 26-year-old had missed most of the campaign after tearing his Achilles tendon just days before the new season.

Senderos stepped into the first-team for the absent Brede Hangeland against the Black Cats, and admitted it had been a long wait.

He told Fulham's official website: "It took a little while to find my feet, which is natural, but of course, this was a good day all round.

"I had waited a long time to make my debut for the club and I'm delighted to have finally pulled on the shirt.

"But of course, it is never about individuals - the team performed very well and in what was a difficult game we got the job done.

"I think we showed a lot of character and quite often in football, that can be the big difference."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/tottenham-playmaker-kranjcar-warms-fulham-switch-1606431

Tottenham playmaker Kranjcar warms to Fulham switch

02.05.11 | tribalfootball.com

Tottenham midfielder Niko Kranjcar is warming to a move across town to Fulham.

The People says Kranjcar, 26, is desperate to leave White Hart Lane and boss Harry Redknapp will not stand in his way of pursuing regular first-team football elsewhere.

The Croatian midfield man has attracted interest from Italy and Spain but is keen on staying in London.

And Fulham have registered their interest in Kranjcar who has been frozen out of the Spurs team since the emergence of Gareth Bale as a world-class left winger.

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/back-to-the-boards-davies-v-bolton-gudjohnson-against-bolton-and-sunderland-zamora-against-sunderland/

Back to the boards: Davies v Bolton, Gudjohnson against Bolton and Sunderland, Zamora against Sunderland

Filed under: Analysis — rich @ 6:19 pm

Simon Davies was awesome against Bolton. The chalkboard shows just how much work he did in that critical final third.  Bolton's defence must have been begging him to leave them alone by the time 90 minutes was up.

Eidur Gudjohnson reminds me of a fairly mobile basketball centre. He's all get and give.  Here we see how Bolton could never be sure where he'd pop up next.  Our forward positions have always been quite fluid; lately we're taking this to another level.

The same but slightly different against Sunderland.  It may be a coincidence that we've won two games in a row 3-0 with him playing, but it may not.  I suspect he does an awful lot of good work that doesn't show up in this sort of analysis, sly movement, gentle but deadly passes, and generally making those around him play better.

Zamora liked the way this was working, and had a stormer at Sunderland. The two of them work together naturally. Both can be unselfish, both have excellent touches and awareness, and between them they're hard to handle.  As noted at the weekend, when I saw that these two were up front I was disappointed that Dempsey and Duff weren't to be crashing behind them. Well it didn't matter; Davies and Kakuta got the goals instead.   But this pair could give our wide midfielders all kinds of fun if they play together next season.

White Noise

http://www.tynetime.com/2011/05/02/clint-dempsey-is-a-player-newcastle-united-should-be-looking-at-this-summer/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=clint-dempsey-is-a-player-newcastle-united-should-be-looking-at-this-summer

Clint Dempsey is a player Newcastle United should be looking at this summer

by Doocey on May 2nd, 2011

Dempsey - A brilliant player that has scored over 10 goals this season

I have been watching Clint Dempsey for a few years now and he continues to impress me. His flair, vision and ability to score goals is something that a lot of people have not recognised, and he has not got half enough praise for his endeavours for both his country, and for Fulham over the years. He would be right up my list of players to sign this summer although I'm sure Alan Pardew's wishlist would differ quite a bit from mine! Considered an attacking midfielder/ striker or winger; Dempsey has notched up 12 goals this season, similar to our own Kevin Nolan, and has had a hand in plenty of Fulhams others. He would be a great signing for the club in my opinion but whether he would want to line out in St.James' Park is a very different matter.

Many Newcastle United fans will be hoping to make contact with the likes of Lille over Gervinho, Sow and even Eden Hazard, but I'm afraid we shouldn't be setting our hopes that high. Hazard is off to a big European team whilst Sow will have many suitors at this disposal. As for Gervinho, I get the sneaky feeling he might actually join us, although time can only tell.

Regards Dempsey; I think Mark Hughes has to be complimented on the huge strides he has made with his Fulham team. They lay 9th in the table and have a huge future under the Welshman. It's always good to see managers like Hughes and even Roy Hogson, that have been sacked by the 'bigger' clubs because they are not considered good enough, show their real ability with other teams.

Fulham are not a side you want to be playing at the minute, Owen Coyle will tell you that.

I would be a very happy man if Pardew looked at Dempsey and held talks as to what he would hope to achieve at St.James' Park, and you never know, the American might like the idea of playing in front of 50,000 people.
Of course if Pardew is feeling really generous, he might even pick up Moussa Dembele from them as well, both for £15m? 

Dembele is a star in the making, in my opinion at least and we can expect big things from him next season, if he remains at Fulham that is.

Do you think Clint Dempsey would be a good addition to the squad, if we had the chance to sign him up?

White Noise

http://footybunker.com/fulham-fc-after-porto-star/2733

Fulham FC after Porto star

By Derek Faucett

Reports from Portugal have suggested that West London's Fulham FC are looking into the acquisition of current Porto midfielder Fredy Guarín.

The 24 year old has struggled to find a regular starting place at Porto and having been there since 2008 is now looking for a move away in an attempt to gain more first team appearances.

The Colombian has made 51 appearances and scored 9 goals since 2008 and has also picked up 27 caps for his country since 2006. The reports also claim that Guarin will claim his title winners medal then seek a move in the summer with the Premiership being his preferred destination.

Should Fulham feel that Guarin is the right man to bring in then Mark Hughes will need to request at least £1.5m for Porto to consider it and there are apparent other parties in Spain interested in his signature.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6909740,00.html

Rovers move for Cisse

Blackburn table bid for Freiburg's Senegal international

Last Updated: May 2, 2011 11:25am

Cisse: Freiburg striker is the subject of a bid from Blackburn

Bundesliga outfit Freiburg have confirmed that Blackburn Rovers have tabled a bid for in-demand striker Papiss Cisse.

The 25-year-old has been in superb form for the club following his move from French side Metz in 2009.

The talented striker is the second-highest Bundesliga scorer this term with an impressive 22 goals.

However, Blackburn could face competition for his services with Arsenal, Liverpool and Fulham also reportedly in the hunt.

"I can confirm that Blackburn have made us an offer," Freiburg sporting director Dirk Dufner told Kicker.

Cisse is under contract at Freiburg and a bid in the region of €15million (£13.35m) could be enough to secure a deal.

Express

Rovers boss Steve Kean has come under fire since replacing Sam Allardyce due to their poor results, although Olsson insists their new manager has given players more chance to express themselves.

"I've got nothing bad to say about Sam," said Olsson. "He's a good manager and he brought us points, but Steve has given the young ones a chance to express ourselves even more.

"You have to move on, you can't think too much about the past. It's not just the manager's fault that we've found ourselves in this position - it's the players' fault as well.

"Hopefully it will work out better next year. I don't think I've ever scored such an important goal. I hope it's the goal that keeps Blackburn up."

White Noise

COTTAGE CREAM   

A mid-table mini league sees Everton, Fulham, Bolton, Stoke and West Brom competing for seventh place.

Everton and David Moyes might have had greater ambitions, but Mark Hughes must be thrilled Fulham are ninth.

Having played without the terrific Bobby Zamora for much of the season, that has taken some doing. They should get his new deal fixed pretty quickly..

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1382557/Jamie-Redknapp-Goal-line-technology-matter-fact.html#ixzz1LBNlfkKb

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/may/02/five-things-learned-premier-league

Five things we learned from the Premier League this weekend

Fabio Capello should not delete Bobby Zamora's number, United need a new midfield and Luis Súarez could win more penalties

Comments (4) 

Fulham have lost only one game in which Bobby Zamora has started this season. Fabio Capello take note. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images

1) Capello should not forget about Zamora

When Bobby Zamora was called up by Fabio Capello at the start of this season (by text message), he immediately called the FA to check that it wasn't a hoax. "I'm all right at pretty much most things," was the striker's self-deprecating assessment of his own abilities back in August, before he made his senior international debut, at the age of 29, in the home game against Hungary. The following month he broke his leg, ruling him out for five months, and only now is he returning to full fitness. How much Fulham have missed him was clear on Saturday, when he impressed in the convincing victory over Sunderland, creating two of his side's three goals and playing a significant role in the other, with a perfectly judged through-ball to release Steve Sidwell, whose cut-back was converted by Simon Davies. Fulham certainly seem to benefit from his presence: of the eight games he has started for the club this season, only one has been lost – and that was at Old Trafford. When he broke his leg Fulham, after four league games, were fourth. Without him they won just one further game before Christmas, by which time they were 18th. Just last week Mark Hughes spoke about Zamora's importance to his team. "I am convinced we would be in the top 10 of the table if Bobby was fit this season," he said. This morning they are ninth, and Zamora is looking more than ever an international. SB

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/53141/Dempsey_set_for_Reds_return.aspx?

Dempsey set for Reds return

Clint Dempsey is expected to recover from a hamstring strain in time for Fulham's clash with Liverpool at Craven Cottage next Monday.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes left the USA international out of his side for Saturday's 3-0 win at Sunderland, which guaranteed their Premier League safety with three games to spare, after he suffered the niggle in training on Friday.

But Dempsey, who had scored twice in last Wednesday's 3-0 win against Bolton at Craven Cottage, is due back in training this week and is set to feature against Kenny Dalglish's Reds next week, as Fulham bid to secure a top-10 finish.

"Clint didn't travel to Sunderland due to a tight hamstring on Friday," Fulham press officer Carmelo Mifsud told MLSsoccer.com. "The manager did not want to risk him and therefore left him out as a precaution."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/how-much-difference-does-one-player-make/?

How much difference does one player make?
Filed under: General — rich

We beat Sunderland without Hangeland, Dempsey and Dembele.  If a big club were to sign three of our players it probably wouldn't be these three, but they'd all be in the discussion.  So how did we manage it?

My thinking:

A single player doesn't make that much difference in any single game.  Over a season the small variations in ability add up, but in a single game you can cover for most absences reasonably well, particularly if the squad is of a uniformly decent standard.

The exception to this is when a player's contribution cannot be replaced, either because he is unusually good, or he plays a certain way that cannot be replicated.

When you look at it this way, the Fulham team is actually quite nicely set up.  There is only one player in the squad (Zamora) that we can't adequately cover:

If, for the sake of argument, you take our first XI as: Schwarzer, Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido, Davies, Sidwell, Murphy, Dempsey, Dembele, Zamora we can put forward the following as useful alternatives:

Stockdale, Paintsil, Halliche, Senderos, Kelly, Kakuta, Etuhu, Greening, Duff, Gudjohnson, Johnson (A).

Now you might argue that the first list of players is better than the second by some way, and perhaps it is, but all of those players have a history of meaningful contribution to football.  Stockdale we know can do a job, Kelly has done so for Fulham whatever his critics might suggest, same for Paintsil. Halliche played well in the world cup and we must assume could do a fair short-term cover job for Fulham. Senderos you would hope could do a longer-term cover job, as he has history in the league and ought to be approaching a similar level to Hangeland and Hughes. Baird can cover anywhere, and there would be no concern if Etuhu was needed to fill in for Murphy or Sidwell. Duff and Davies is a toss-up anyway, and Gudjohnson could reasonably start every week (and may deserve to do so).  We have no obvious replacement for Salcido, but of all the positions full-back is probably the easiest to cover, particularly short-term.

In retrospect, the only thing this squad couldn't have got over this season was a long-term injury to Zamora. Why is Zamora harder to replace than Hangeland?  Brian Quarstad once put it to me that defending is like making bread (you follow a set recipe exactly), attacking is like making dessert (you can improvise).  Put another way: when you defend, you defend. Within various parameters the job is the job, it's reactive, it's replicable.  Attack is the opposite: proactive, variable.  Take away the main defender and you can substitute in a slightly lesser version of the same thing. Take away the main attacker and the whole team's attacking dynamic changes because all the things you like to do, you can't.  Zamora is so good and so unique that we couldn't cover him.  But we've done okay anyway. (NB Gudjohnson does seem to share

If he stays fit next season we might reasonably expect to be hunting for those 8th/9th positions again.  (see how easily optimism can be conjured up when things are going well!).

WhiteJC

Win Champions League Final Tickets

We have a fabulous opportunity for two lucky season ticket holders to win a pair of tickets each to the UEFA Men's Champions League Final that will take place at Wembley on Saturday 28th May 2011, a once in a life time opportunity to see the best two teams in Europe go head to head.

Any season ticket holder that purchases a ticket for the UEFA Women's Champions League Final at Craven Cottage on the 26th May will be entered into this competition. The draw will be made at half time of the women's fixture so attendance at the game is required in order to claim the prize.*

To add to the spectacle of the Champions League coming to London the two trophies will be on display in an iconic London taxi outside the Cottage at the home fixture against Liverpool, where fans will have the chance to view the trophies up close.

We will also be offering two season ticket holders the unique chance to have their photo taken with the trophies at half time on the pitch. A random draw will be made on the day so please listen out for your name.

Buy your tickets for the Women's Final TODAY!

*for those that do not attend the fixture on Thursday 26th May they will not be applicable for the competition or to retrieve the tickets.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/CLFinalTickets.aspx?#ixzz1LI9izsyH

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/53157/Liverpool_star_hell_bent_on_securing_Euro_success.aspx?

Liverpool star hell bent on securing Euro success

Liverpool star Luis Suarez has revealed that reaching the Europa League was his target when he moved to Anfield in January.

The Reds looked unlikely contenders for a European spot at the turn of the year following a terrible first half of the season under Roy Hodgson's stewardship. However, with the former Fulham man sacked and Kenny Dalglish taking the reins, Liverpool have produced a stunning run of form, including wins over Chelsea and Manchester United, which has seen them climb up the table with vigour.

Currently in fifth place having climbed above Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend, the Premier League stalwarts now look favourites to secure a place in UEFA's second tier tournament next term.

Speaking about the progress of the team since his arrival, Uruguayan hitman Suarez reflected:

"If we get in the Europa League, of course, our objective has to be to win it. That is what a club like this must aim for.

"We have to do everything we can to win as many competitions as we can. Qualifying for Europe has to be our objective.

"When I came I wanted to help Liverpool get there. But when the second half of the season started it looked really difficult.

"But we have kept winning games, we have played really well and got some important victories. We have been hoping that Tottenham drop points."

WhiteJC

A Year Of Progress

Mark Schwarzer praised his side's second half performance on Saturday as Fulham recorded a convincing 3-0 win over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

It was a notable victory away from home and Schwarzer believes the result highlights the progress Fulham are making under Mark Hughes this season.

"Saturday was a good win and a good performance from the team," Schwarzer told fulhamfc.com. "We perhaps got a little sloppy in the first have and let our concentration slip at times but fortunately they [Sunderland] couldn't capitalise.

"But overall we responded very well, after a nice goal from Gael Kakuta and from a few strong words from the Manager at half-time. He wanted us to improve on that first 45 minutes and we did – which was important.

"The second-half was very professional and the effort from the players was rewarded with two more goals. It was nice to get that away win, as everyone knows we haven't picked up as many points as we hoped or should have away from home. But this was a performance that shows the progress that we are making and that's good to see.

"In the time that I have been at the Club we have been very, very strong at home and we have done very well at Craven Cottage which has become a bit of a fortress for us at times. We want to try and maintain that strength, while securing results like we did at Sunderland on our travels.

"If we can do that – then we could see a big difference. The second half of the season has been very good and we're now ninth in the table and we want to keep ourselves in the top 10 and end the campaign in a strong, positive position.

"Had we managed to turn some of those draws we've had this season into wins – we could well have been talking about an even higher finish come the end. But it's been a season of progression for us and next year could be another interesting one for us."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/SchwarzerWinningAway.aspx?#ixzz1LIANs9xJ

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Eidur-Gudjohnsen-happy-to-stay-at-Fulham.aspx

EIDUR GUDJOHNSEN HAPPY TO STAY AT FULHAM

Fulham striker Eidur Gudjohnsen expects to find out his Fulham future before the end of the season.

And the Icelandic striker reckons he has more than a decent chance of adding himself to the roster that suddenly sees the Whites with four top hitmen champing at the bit.

The former Chelsea man was given the nod over the Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson in the 3-0 win over Bolton and admits there have been clues that he will get offered a deal to keep him at Craven Cottage.

"I think there has been hints and talks about next season - but nothing formal, although I'm sure before the end of the season I'll sit down with manager," he said.

"I would be glad to stay if both parties can agree something. The club needs competition for places, and it was unfortunate there were injuries earlier on.

"I'm sure I would get my fair share of games if I was to stay, and you could see against Bolton that I was linking up well with Mousa (Dembéle)."

Gudjohnsen admits his career was in ruins after he was left to rot on the sidelines at Stoke only for it to get revived when Fulham boss Mark Hughes rescued him with a short-term contract in the January transfer window.

Now the 32-year-old who moved from Stamford Bridge to Barcelona in a reported £9million deal five years ago fancies his chances of seeing out his time in the Premiership with the other side in SW6.

He said: "It's a great just to be playing again. Fulham have half-resurrected my career because it was fading away.

"I think I'm returning to form - and it's there for everyone to see, and although I missed a couple of chances against Bolton - the goals will come."

WhiteJC

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2351330,00.html

Hughes ready for Fulham talks

Manager Mark Hughes is ready to open negotiations with Fulham over an extension to his contract.

The Welshman signed a two-year deal last summer and, with the Cottagers on course for a top-ten finish, Hughes believes he merits a long-term deal.

Hughes admits he had already held preliminary talks with the board and he expects further discussions to lead him towards putting pen to paper.

"I'm hoping to sit down with the club and talk about it," Hughes said.
"I have 12 months left and we've had initial discussions, but nothing in terms of really extending the contract.

"Obviously I'm open to conversations in that respect, because I like this club. I think it's a well-run club with good people and we can be successful."

FRESHEN UP
After a difficult first half to the season, Hughes has steadied the ship at Fulham, who are unbeaten in their last eight home matches in the Barclays Premier League.

The former Manchester City manager admits he is happy with his current squad, but he expects to freshen up his squad in the summer nonetheless.

"What we've done since Christmas gives you encouragement for next year," he said.

"We have good-quality players here and, like most clubs, we'll try to add to that quality in the summer.

"If we can, I feel confident the next few years will be very successful."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_6911527,00.html

Prem clubs flock to Barcelona

Man United and others checking on Spanish-based targets

By Francisco Acedo & Graeme Bailey.   

Last Updated: May 3, 2011 2:01pm

Manchester United, were present for Espanyol's clash with Athletic Bilbao on Monday.

At least four Premier League clubs were in Barcelona to see Espanyol claim a 2-1 win over Bilbao.

United were well represented at the match with Sir Alex Ferguson's brother Martin at the Estadi Cornella-El Prat.

But Ferguson was not alone, with Tottenham's Harry Redknapp, Mark Hughes of Fulham and Everton's David Moyes all in attendance.

Spanish media are split on who they feel each side were watching but it is believed Carlos Kameni, Pablo Osvaldo, Jose Callejon, Javi Martinez and Iker Muniain were of particular interest.

White Noise

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/avi_creditor/05/02/americans.abroad/index.html

Dempsey enters Fulham record books, more Americans Abroad

Clint Dempsey scored twice in Fulham's 3-0 victory over Bolton last week

He has 12 goals this season, tying him for eighth in the Premier League

He's passed Steed Malbranque and Brian McBride as Fulham's top career scorer

With 33 goals, Clint Dempsey is the all-time leading scorer for Fulham in the Premier League era.
Glyn Kirk/AFP/Getty Images

He scores with his left
He scores with his right
That boy Clint Dempsey
Makes Drogba look ...

You know how the rest of the Craven Cottage chant goes.

And while Clint Dempsey hasn't made Didier Drogba look inferior by any stretch, he has as many league goals as the Chelsea star does this season and has etched his name in the Fulham record books yet again.

With his brace against Bolton last Wednesday, Dempsey became Fulham's all-time leading goal scorer in the Premier League era. His 33 (and counting) goals bested current Sunderland midfielder Steed Malbranque and retired American Brian McBride, who each tallied 32 times in the Premier League for the Cottagers.

Dempsey, who broke McBride's record for goals by an American in a Premier League season earlier this spring, has 12 tallies to his name and is tied for eighth in the league in that statistic with three games remaining.

As has been the case most of the season, Dempsey delivered the goals to Fulham when it needed them most. The club has been riding the Premier League table roller coaster, going from mid-table to drop-zone range and back for much of its campaign. While attempting to stave off relegation once and for all and breathe easier over the final weeks of the season, Fulham turned to its No. 23.

"He's been really important for us," Fulham manager Mark Hughes told FulhamFC.com. "Certainly in the first part of the season we were struggling. I didn't feel we had the quality we needed [up front] -- we had guys coming back, and I was playing Clint up there on his own and he still had an impact. If he didn't score then he'd create things for someone else."

Sporting a clean-shaven look, Dempsey went to two finesse moves in his arsenal to take matters into his own hands against Bolton. First he hit a scissor-kick side volley off a cross following a set piece, a goal that demonstrated exquisite technique and may have been his top strike of the season.

A few minutes into the second half, Dempsey latched onto a flicked-on ball from Eidur Gudjohnson and deftly touched it home inside the 6-yard box for the record breaker.

"I was starting to get the itch a little and feel the pressure to perform, so it was good that I was able to do that and help be a part of the team's success in getting the three points to get us into the top half of the table," Dempsey said on the team's website.

Those three points helped clinch Fulham's place in the 2011-2012 Premier League. The Cottagers will be joined by Norwich City and American center back Zak Whitbread, who sealed their promotion from the League Championship with a victory over Portsmouth on Monday. The Canaries have been promoted in consecutive seasons -- from League One in 2010 to Premier League in 2011 -- becoming the first team to accomplish that feat since Manchester City in 2000.

In addition to the exploits of Dempsey and Whitbread, Freddy Adu found the net again to highlight the week that was for Americans playing abroad (statistics encompass all competitions):

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/avi_creditor/05/02/americans.abroad/index.html#ixzz1LJGhLvCs