watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (06.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 06, 2011, 06:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8496353/Mark-Hughes-backing-Manchester-United-boss-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-to-get-one-over-Barcelona.html

Mark Hughes backing Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to get one over Barcelona

Mark Hughes believes if any manager can find a way to beat Barcelona it is Sir Alex Ferguson.

Happy memories: Mark Hughes scored twice the last time Manchester United beat Barcelona in a European final Β Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By John Ley 10:30PM BST 05 May 2011

Hughes was there at the beginning, so is well placed to pass judgment on Manchester United's chances of winning the Champions League. And a man who has played for both clubs warned the Spaniards that the shrewd and experienced Ferguson will find a way of upsetting them.

Hughes helped United win their first European trophy under Ferguson 20 years ago β€” against Barcelona β€” and believes that while they are the best team in the world with the best player, his old mentor can find a formula and method to topple the favourites at Wembley Stadium.

Hughes, now the Fulham manager, scored both goals in United's 2-1 win over Johan Cruyff's Barcelona on a wet Cup Winner's Cup night in Rotterdam, a triumph which formed the early foundations for the dynasty built by Ferguson.

Hughes said of the current team: "It is a huge achievement as people are trying to say that this United team is not as strong as those that they have had in the past. To overcome arguably the best team that has ever played the game, that is a huge challenge for anyone. But if anyone can do it, it is Manchester United. Sir Alex will find a way if there is a way possible. It is a big ask. Sir Alex knows that you need luck at the right time and if he gets that anything is possible.

"He's always looked very closely at the opposition, he's very conscientious, very particular, and he puts the hours in, looking at videos and going to see the opposition.

"He always has a view and an idea in his mind, not only about the tactical side of it, but the personnel as well. He will have a tactical awareness, but it will be about the players that he puts on the field as well."

Hughes, 47, remembers that first taste of European glory in Holland well, when United were flying the flag for English football at a difficult time.

"We had been out of Europe as a country, not just as a club, for five years after Heysel so we very much thought we were the flag bearers for English football.

"I remember it was a bit drizzly and the rain was coming down and I recall looking over at the Barca players as we lined up and saw a few shivering, looking at the rain and I thought 'this might suit us better than them'. I think it did."

The prospect of Wayne Rooney facing Lionel Messi is the one that fans and neutrals alike will be looking forward to.

"They are completely different players," added Hughes. "They can win games on their own with a flash of brilliance even if the team isn't playing particularly well, as we saw with Wayne's goal against Man City.

"Messi is an outstanding player. We're fortunate that we're able to see him at his pomp and hopefully we'll have more years to enjoy what he can produce. He has a great attitude to the game and is playing in a great side.

"We haven't seen a player like him. I know it's difficult to compare players from different generations but what he's doing now in the modern game is outstanding."

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7944314/Fulham-v-Liverpool-match-preview.html

Fulham v Liverpool: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Liverpool at Craven Cottage on Monday May 9 2011, kick-off 20.00 BST.
Β Β Β Β Β Β 
PREVIEW

FULHAMVLIVERPOOL Monday, May 09 20:00
Premier League
Craven Cottage

By John Ley 6:00AM BST 06 May 2011
Comment
Monday, May 9

Fulham v Liverpool
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 20.00 BST
TV: Live Sky Sports 1.

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-2): Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Senderos, Salcido; Davies, Sidwell, Murphy, Kakuta; Gudjohnsen, Zamora.
Liverpool (Possible, 4-4-2): Reina; Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Johnson; Maxi, Spearing, Lucas, Meireles; Kuyt, Suarez.
Referee: Lee Mason. Matches: 21. R3 Y90.

Tale of the game

In nine previous Premier League meetings between these sides at Fulham there has never been a draw, with Fulham winning four and Liverpool five.

Bobby Zamora gave Fulham the lead against the run of play but Fernando Torres equalised with an 18-yard volley.

Erik Nevland restored Fulham's lead before Philipp Degen and Jamie Carragher departed early, then Clint Dempsey tapped in Fulham's third.

Yet Fulham have drawn 15 games this season and the 3-0 victory over Sunderland last Saturday was the first time they had won successive Premier League games in 46 outings.

If they win again it will be the first time they have enjoyed three straight victories for three years – when they won their last three of the 2007-8 season to avoid relegation.

Mark Hughes, the Fulham manager, tests Brede Hangeland, who was a late withdrawal at Sunderland, with illness.

Clint Dempsey also missed the game, with a hamstring strain, and he, too, could be available.

But Damian Duff, Diomansy Kamara and Matthew Briggs are still missing.

Liverpool are bidding for a place in the Europa League and manager Kenny Dalglish tests Andy Carroll, who came on as a substitute in the 3-0 win over former club Newcastle.

Liverpool have scored eight goals without reply in their last two games.

And in four previous visits to the capital they have won one, lost two and drawn one.

This season: Liverpool 1 Fulham 0.

Last season: Fulham 3 Liverpool 1, Liverpool 0 Fulham 0.

Stat of the game: Fulham need one more draw for their most stalemates in the Premier League and highest number since they drew 16 in the 1999-2000 season.

Betting tip: Fascinating clash under lights; try a 2-2 draw at 16-1.

White Noise

Keggy: I wish I'd turned England job down

Published 20:15 05/05/11

By MirrorFootball

Former England manager Kevin Keegan believes the job is currently more suited to a foreign manager and that he regrets taking the job on a full-time basis back in 1999.

The two-time European Footballer of the Year insisted he was handicapped by the lack of English players in the Premier League when he held the position from February 1999 to October 2000 - and that the problem remains today.

"It saddens me to say it but it's a much better job for a foreigner at the moment," he told BBC Radio Manchester.

"I was England manager and was sat with Aime Jacquet (France manager at the time) watching an Arsenal match. He had 13 players playing and six on the bench, I had one player. But there was not an English player playing abroad and the odds were stacked against the England manager then and still are to a degree."

Keegan, who also had managerial spells at Newcastle, Fulham and Man City, admitted he did not enjoy his time as England boss and regretted leaving his post at Fulham to take the job in the first place.

He continued: "I didn't enjoy it. The fans were horrendous when I was walking off after the Germany game - fair enough. I was disappointed and thought 'they got me the job, it's time to go'."

"I suppose if I had my time again I would refuse it and stay at Fulham because I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and secondly I would have taken it on my own terms," he added.

Since his acrimonious departure there have been three full-time England managers and in Sven-Goran Eriksson and Fabio Capello two have been foreign.

However Keegan does not envy them - although he did not completely rule out a return to club management in the future.

The 61-year-old added: "They are not your players, they are loaned from the club. You just wheel them out for a game for England.

"You never say never (about returning to management). You never know do you?"

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Former-England-boss-Kevin-Keegan-regrets-ever-taking-the-job-but-refuses-to-rule-out-a-return-to-management-one-day-article732234.html#ixzz1LY6hgcNb

White Noise

Fulham close to permanent Gudjohnsen deal

Published 18:14 05/05/11

By MirrorFootball

Fulham are "very close" to wrapping up a permanent deal for Eidur Gudjohnsen, says manager Mark Hughes.

Gudjohnsen joined Fulham on loan from Stoke in January, and his promotion to the starting line-up has helped the club win seven points from the last three games.

The 32-year-old former Chelsea and Barcelona striker would be available on a free transfer as his Potters contract expires this summer.

"We're trying to make that happen," said Hughes. "I've been really pleased with what Eidur's brought to us and I know he's enjoying his time here.

"Eidur would like to stay, I'm sure, and we would reciprocate that as well.We're hopeful it'll get done quite soon."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Fulham-are-very-close-to-wrapping-up-a-permanent-deal-for-loan-star-Eidur-Gudjohnsen-says-manager-Mark-Hughes-article732161.html#ixzz1LY77z6ld

White Noise

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/05/06/premier-league-rankings-alternative-table/

Premier League Rankings: Manchester City Billionaires Finally Rounding Into Form

06/5/2011 12:05 AM GMT

By Ian Whittell

Welcome back to our regular look at who's hot and who's not in the world's best football competition.

There has been more than a tinge of madness about this season pretty much ever since it kicked off in August with Blackpool looking like potential champions.

Now, thanks to Manchester United's wobble and Chelsea's charge, it promises to be the most exciting title race of recent times - Sunday's meeting between the two at Old Trafford will certainly be the most eagerly awaited game in months, if not years.

At the bottom, the list of potential relegation fodder has been whittled down to six (i.e. anyone on less than 40 points) but that doesn't make it any less exciting with so many potential twists and turns to come.

And, while the top four look settled, there is even the not inconsequential sideshow of whether Liverpool or Spurs will clinch the fifth spot and a place in the Europa League next season. Thus, there will be very few games with nothing riding on them over the final three weekends of a memorable campaign.

FanHouse UK has used the latest, most in-depth objective statistical data, balanced with the purely subjective views of our expert staff, to bring you an alternative Premier League table.

6. Fulham | Previous: 7 | Form: L-W-L-D-W-W

Fulham are one of a number of clubs who have shrugged off the threat of relegation and for whom the season is ending far too quickly. A 3-0 romp at woeful Sunderland followed a humbling of Bolton by the same scoreline and, a couple of games previously, a 3-0 win over Blackpool, also. In fact, an away visit to Manchester United is the only defeat over the last five games for Fulham who have not looked back since their owner unveiled that Michael Jackson statue.

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/05/football-news/hughes-calls-for-strong-finish

Hughes calls for strong finish

Date: 5th May 2011 at 4:40 pm

Written by FFC News Desk

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is determined to finish the Premier League season strongly, as his team prepare to face Liverpool on Monday.Despite being ninth in the Premier League table and securing their safety, Hughes has called upon his players to try to win their three remaining league games in order to bring in the club's biggest ever points haul in the top flight.

"If we get maximum points out of every game we have left then I think that's the highest total ever that a Fulham team has reached in the Premier League," Hughes said.

"So that's a challenge for us and that's something that we'll use as a motivation going into these last three games."

The West London club had been on the brink of relegation until a string of better results against Wolves, Bolton, and Sunderland moved them into the top half of the table.

"It was difficult at the beginning of the season but, as we come to the climax of it, we've been really pleased with what we've been able to produce," Hughes said.

Fulham will be boosted by the return of top goal scorer Clint Dempsey, as the USA midfielder looks to have overcome a hamstring injury in time to face Liverpool.

"He (Dempsey) was a bit stiff in his hamstrings on the Friday prior to the Sunderland game, so there was no point in risking him," Hughes said.

"I took the view to leave him behind and he's benefited from that and he should be okay."

Meanwhile winger Damien Duff is set to miss out the rest of the season, as he has undergone an operation on his Achilles. Zoltan Gera (ankle) is also set to miss Monday's game at Craven Cottage.

Hughes added: "Damien Duff has had an operation on his Achilles; the view is that there will probably be a six-week recovery, and then he'll be fit and well for next season."

"Zoltan Gera went over on his ankle on Thursday, so he's still on the treatment table."

Hughes remains wary of the threat of the newly acquired Liverpool strike force of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez leading the line for the Merseyside club.

"Right through the history of football there have been great partnerships and there are always examples of where one player triggers off the good, positive parts of another player," he said.

"And there are signs that there's the possibility Carroll and Suarez will continue in the same vein and be a very strong partnership for Liverpool for years to come."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6915005,00.html

Hughes eyeing new strikers

Fulham boss spotted watching Espanyol star Osvaldo

Last Updated: May 5, 2011 5:39pm

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has confirmed he is looking at bolstering his striking options for next season.

The Welsh boss flew out to Barcelona to watch Pablo Daniel Osvaldo in Espanyol's victory over Athletic Bilbao in the Primera Divison, a game in which the former Italy Under-21 international managed to score.

Hughes, however, is not the only one looking at the highly-rated 25-year-old, with Manchester United chief European scout Martin Ferguson, Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp and Everton manager David Moyes all present.

Fulham are short on strikers, with Bobby Zamora still working his way back to full fitness and Andrew Johnson and Moussa Dembele not prolific in front of goal.

Outsiders

But with Osvaldo's price tag of around Β£12million, Fulham have to be considered outsiders to land his signature if there is to be competition.

Hughes admitted that he needed to assess other options, with Young Boys striker Henri Bienvenu Ntsama and Swansea's Scott Sinclair considered more affordable options.

"We're looking at what's available," said Hughes.

"We're looking at a view to next year and if we can add quality to the quality we already have then we'll try to do that.

"But it is price-sensitive, I would suggest, and sometimes you can want to bring a good player in but financially you haven't got the means to do that.

"So we're just making sure that we're out there and we understand what's in the market place."

White Noise

Five Days to Go

Friday 6th May 2011

There are just five days to go for Season Ticket Holders to retain their current seat(s) for the 2011/12 campaign. With exciting matches against the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City now guaranteed and Fulham placed comfortably in the top half of the table, don't delay, renew today.|

Midnight on Tuesday 10th May is the date for your diaries, after which your seats will be released for other fans to purchase. Make sure you keep yours by renewing online| today.

Don't forget, Early Bird prices still apply, saving you between Β£50 and Β£150 on your Fulham Season Ticket|, in addition to this you can earn an extra 20 Bonus Loyalty Points by renewing early.

If you're looking to spread the cost of your Season Ticket, don't forget about our new flat rate Instalment Plan*, which allows you to spread the cost of your Season Ticket over a six or nine month period for just Β£20 or Β£25 respectively.

What's more, households with more than one Season Ticket can use the same Instalment Plan, making supporting the Whites even more affordable.

Renew Online|

* Terms and conditions apply

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/5daystogo.aspx#ixzz1LY9d4QAc

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/swansea-sensation-sinclair-fulham-radar-1610311

Swansea sensation Sinclair on Fulham radar

04.05.11 | tribalfootball.com

Swansea City attacker Scott Sinclair is attracting Premier League interest.

The England U21 international has been nothing short of sensational for the Swans since his arrival from Chelsea last summer.

The Daily Mail says Fulham boss Mark Hughes is ready to make an offer for Sinclair.

However, any move will depend on whether Swansea fail to win promotion from the Championship.

White Noise

Eidur Gudjohnsen set for permanent Fulham move

By Jacob Murtagh

May 5 2011

MARK Hughes hopes to iron out a deal to keep Eidur Gudjohnsen at Fulham.

The former Chelsea frontman has made eight appearances for the Whites since his loan switch from Stoke in January, but is yet to find the net for his new club.

Gudjohnsen told the Chronicle last month that he had opened talks about extending his stay at Craven Cottage.

And boss Hughes is confident of keeping the 32-year-old in SW6.

"We're trying to make that happen," he said. "I'm really pleased with what he's brought to us and he's enjoying his time here.

"If we can make it happen that's our intention. There's a will on both sides to make sure he remains here next year."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/05/eidur-gudjohnsen-set-for-permanent-fulham-move-82029-28641828/#ixzz1LVkknzDv

White Noise

Fulham boss admits Osvaldo interest

By Jacob Murtagh

May 5 2011

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes has confirmed his interest in Espanyol striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo.

Sparky saw the Argentina-born Italian score in the 2-1 win against Athletic Bilbao on Monday, but faces competition from Manchester United, Spurs and Everton for the Β£12million-rated star.

Hughes said: "The boy Osvaldo's been flagged up for a long time and I think everybody's aware of him - he's a good player.

"But you wouldn't expect me to say too much about him because he's somebody else's player."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/05/fulham-boss-admits-osvaldo-interest-82029-28643198/#ixzz1LVkLc3sF

White Noise

We're Back!

Thursday 5th May 2011

Mark Hughes' hand will be strengthened when Fulham play Liverpool following the news that Brede Hangeland and Clint Dempsey will be fit and available for Monday night's Barclays Premier League clash at the Cottage.

Dempsey grabbed a brace during Fulham's 3-0 home win over Bolton last week and after recovering from a tight hamstring the US international will be raring to go on Monday evening.

"Clint's trained after the weekend," said Hughes on Thursday afternoon. "He had a bit of stiffness in his hamstring on the Friday prior to the Sunderland game and there was no point in risking him. We took the view to leave him behind and he's benefitted from that.

"He should be okay [to play Liverpool] as he trained today and he'll continue training right up until the day of the game. He'll be an option for us on Monday night."

Brede Hangeland has also recovered from a bout of sickness that forced him out of action last weekend but there was less positive news for Zoltan Gera and Rafik Halliche, as Hughes explained on Thursday afternoon.

"Zoltan Gera went over on his ankle on Thursday so he's on the treatment table, as is Rafik Halliche."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/LiverpoolTeamNews.aspx#ixzz1LUquqNwY

White Noise

Duff Injury Update

Thursday 5th May 2011

Mark Hughes revealed on Thursday afternoon that Damien Duff has undergone surgery on his Achilles and will miss the final three matches of the season.

Hughes explained that Duff's surgery and rehabilitation should be straightforward and the winger is expected to return to fitness in six weeks ahead of the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League campaign.

"Damien has had an operation on his Achilles and the view is that his recovery will be six weeks," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "He'll be fit and well for next season. It should be pretty straightforward.

"We've been managing it (Achilles) through the season and in fairness he's done really well with it. In the end we made the decision that the best route was to get it sorted now.

"He's actually had the operation done by the same guy that did Bobby Zamora's last year so we have every confidence he'll be back in the time stated."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/DamienDuffInjuryUpdate.aspx#ixzz1LUq9TsAc

White Noise

Academy Semi-Final Update

Thursday 5th May 2011

As a result of finishing top of the Premier Academy League Group A, Fulham's Under 18 side will face Group D winners Sunderland in a semi-final play-off.

The fixture will take place at Motspur Park with the date and time to be confirmed shortly.

However, the Club can confirm that the game will not be played on Saturday 7th May as Sunderland have yet to finish their League schedule.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/AcademySemi-FinalUpdate.aspx#ixzz1LUlhZm00

White Noise

Putney End Season Tickets

Thursday 5th May 2011

New Season Tickets for the 2011/12 campaign| are available now for fans to buy in blocks P1 and P2. We captured the views from these seats during the 3-0 home win against Bolton Wanderers to give you an insight into what you can expect.

As you can see, the view from these seats is superb. With the players' tunnel and the famous Cottage to the right of the Putney Stand, you will get first glimpse of the players arriving onto the pitch.

A regular at the Cottage gave us some feedback from block P2 earlier in the season.

Amongst the many positives he mentioned, he told us: "I had a good view of the match, and also the Cottage balcony. It was good to see the Hammersmith End from the opposite end of the stadium."

For more information visit our Season Ticket page| or call 0843 208 1234 (option 3) for more information.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/PutneyEndSeasonTickets.aspx#ixzz1LUNEIMSG

White Noise

More to Come

Thursday 5th May 2011

Last weekend's Barclays Premier League victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light saw young attacker Danny Hoesen named on the bench for the first time this season.

It was certainly a rewarding moment for the young Dutchman who endured an extended spell on the sidelines this season after suffering a hip injury.

Hoesen has already shown good form for the Development Squad this season and as Billy McKinlay explained to fulhamfc.com, more is expected from the player next season.

"It's well documented that he had a serious injury in the early part of the season," McKinlay said. "It's taken time for him to get back, I still don't think we're going to see the best of him until next season. I don't think he's fully fit yet, it's difficult to get your fitness back during the season after having been out for a prolonged period of time.

"As a player he's got good movement and he's quiet clever in terms of how he sees space and how he exploits it.

"I think he's found it difficult at times but now he's getting fitter.Β  He might be slightly disappointed that the season's coming to an end – so it's important that he works hard over the summer and keeps himself ticking over.

"He knows that he needs to improve and it was a nice little reward for him to be on the bench for the Sunderland game. He had a fairly serious hip injury so I don't think we should underestimate that. He's worked hard to come back and you also have to give the medical staff credit, he was almost housebound for a period of weeks and didn't put any weight on his leg.

"It was good for him to see how things are at the sharp end – the most important thing is that he uses it as a catalyst. He's got to make sure that the taste of the First Team fuels his determination to come back better next season."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/MacKinlayonHoesen.aspx#ixzz1LULCbZ12

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/peter-thomson/

Peter Thomson

Filed under: General β€” rich @ 8:53 am

Yesterday we learned of the sad passing of Peter Thomson, who posted here and elsewhere under the name of Pensioner (By my reckoning he made about 150 comments on this site).

I never did meet Peter, although last year we corresponded a fair amount. At one point he suggested meeting for a glass of fine wine to discuss matters Fulham, and specifically writing about Fulham, but like so many of these good ideas it never happened. I'm really disappointed about that. I still have his "Following the Fulham" books to read, which is something.

By way of a sort of tribute, the following are some of the emails Peter sent me. You might feel that this is a little invasive, but they are so unique, interesting, funny, barmy, and yes, downright eccentric, that I think.. well I don't know what I think. I hope their reproduction isn't taken the wrong way.

So, ladies and gentlemen: the wonderful Peter Thomson.Β  Rest in peace.

(On learning that his Notts County match report for this site had been
mentioned in the "Black and White Eye" section of the next matchday
programme.)

Fame after 59 season following the Fulham?

Perhaps I can borrow a prog. Having treated Mrs Pensioner on
Valentine's Day plus gifted Eurocopy by guest on Thursday I meanly
failed to stump this p.m

Given your genius with IT perhaps you would very kindly scan and post.

Failing that my son in law usually has a prog

What a week........what a week and so back to school in the morning
where even the hundreds of CFC fans will have a kindly word for us
when they have done with Drogbarapture.

Best wishes and thanks
Peter

——————————–
Found
My thanks for the tip off
Mrs Pensioner less pleased as she assumed that B and W Eye would be
more concerned with County choir

best wishes
Peter

——————————–

Dear Rich
Do you have your man in Turin?
I am on the VACATION CLUB plane and am ready to send some observations
if you are not at the match yourself

Mrs Pensioner has opted out as no overnight stay plus her book club Thursday pm
Once upon a time you could be certain that Thursday was football free
but EuroTV has arrived to complicate that once sacrosanct evening.

AtbCOYWpft
Peter

——————————–
Dear Rich

Many thanks

If I can keep awake after VACATION CLUB in and out (no hotel) dawn
landing I will send you text before going to work on Friday morning

Mrs Pensioner unable to travel as it is her book club and she chose
the book...........

Must attempt to avoid RED CARDS
How such a well behaved team in Pmship could suffer such penalties in
Europe is a mystery

Again my thanks for contact restored
Peter

——————————–
Down but not out

You refer to the match. I refer to the Fulham fans out there.
Yes – we were less than happy with the first half but the colour, the
banners and the banter were very remarkable. Certainly we outsang Juve
throughout and even after the customary lock in at the final whistle.
Instead of "Why are we waiting?" It was a mighty blast of "We'll win
it 2-0! We'll win it TWO – NIL"

Gallows humour? Perhaps but humour in adversity and duly noted by MS
and Brede who went the extra mile/200yards to thank the travelling
fans.

0439 hours and via GatwickΒ  back at my desk. Almost time for school
hence the good Dean Colet's Erasmian quip -"Falling down despair not.
Ever take a fresh new good purpose"

Va bene Fulham

Pensioner

——————————–

"Home thoughts from abroad"

Posted by dawn patrol

AtbCOYWpft
Peter

——————————–

"DOWN BUT NOT OUT"

Three paras were posted to you at 0439hrs direct from Gatwick

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! perhaps pressed wrong buttons as fell asleep at my desk

Will write again this p.m.

You can imagine the receptionΒ  I got from Chelsea/Man Utd/Arsenal kids
in playground.
T'was ever thus

Anon
Peter Thomson

——————————–
Buzzing in Barnes

Three different conversations in schoolΒ  16th March
Dave Swindlehurst (football coach ex Palace ex Hammers) "Juve won't
fancy such a narrow pitch"
Senora E B " Fulham v Juve – my first ever football match"
Francesco (9 years) "Juve my team. Me and my three brothers – we have
tickets, We are really, really excited"

Email from NZ pensioner _ "Flyimg back for the big game 18th March"

This Pensioner – apprehensive having counted on Murphy to motivate,
direct and create.
Early goal essential- Dempsey?Β  Duff to score a brilliant second as
for Everton as for Birmingham.

VizΒ  TOOFIF "We can dream, we can dream"

See you all there, hear you all there
E pur si muove........muove, muove!

——————————–

Morning Rich

Following the Fulham 1951-2001

Not many big nights in Europe
33 years in the wilderness
Two big away wins – Goodison to beat Everton in 1975 and Stamford
Bridge to beat Chelsea in 1979 and one great night out as we stumbled
into FA Cup Final with a late, late scrappy goal.

Let's hope for any sort of early goal this evening.

As Mr Adams would say – SOLA FIDE

COYW
Peter

——————————–

Morning Rich

Congratulations on both your essays 18th March

Buzzing in Barnes
Still buzzing after an extraordinary week
This time 11th March we were down – very down after a long day in
Turin and an underperformance at
Stadio Olimpico. Then to Old Trafford.........just what we didn't
need. And so to the Cottage where we
seemed to hand it to Juve with that early goal. My guest (the great
Ken Coton) sighed and pointed to the exit but with this Fulham the sum
is indeed greater than the parts and the impossible was achieved.

Ken Coton and I have been around Fulham since 1951 and we stumbled
into other pensioners after the
game – David Shrimpton whose grandfather founded the club. General
agreement that this was the night of nights. Even the less than loyal
Alan Mullery declared it as good as anything he had ever seen from
Fulham.

"Will they wear pink?" They came in gold that golden team but some
must be pink with blushing now.

Off to school and then for a quiet Saturday on the allotment ahead of
the other team from Manchester.
Voltaire advocates the cultivation of the garden. Hodgson cultivates
the Cottage garden and harvests
in March. Our thanks yet again to manager Roy and (good to see back on
the pitch) chairman MO.

va bene maestro

Peter

——————————–

Morning Rich

Let me take you back to another night when we knew it couldn't go
right for Fulham
Owing to weeks of snow the final fixture was after the Cup Final. One
promotion place left. Fulham v Chelsea? No Fulham v Lincoln City, 2nd
v 3rd in the days of two up and no play-offs.

1-1 with 15 mins to go and Fulham;s captain and defender LES STRONG
limping off. Send for teenage
striker Tempest (what a name) to weather the storm as Lincoln
battered us. Hammersmith End under siege for what seemed like an age.
Tempest twice cleared off the line. Percy post and Billy bar performed
as they did for Juve on Thursday. 3rd division crowd of 21,000 howling
for final whistle terrified that Lincoln would get a thoroughly
deserved late, late winner. They didn't thanks to improvisation
ofTempest.
( viz Simon Davies born again out of position Thursday}

See Ken Coton photosΒ  ofΒ  Roger Brown (blood and cigars)

fast fwd to Derby and last match of season
Mrs Pensioner smuggled me out of Speech Day in cap and gown. (viz
Clockwise and vanishing headmaster}
Raced to Baseball Ground for second promotion and return to top table
Pitch invasion by Derby. Fulham players assaulted. match abandoned.
Replay neutral ground? Ho,ho,hoΒ  Β  too little and too late Derby
fined. Result to stand and Fulham to fall, fall, fall apart.

Ernie Clay sold club and 12 players (Ray Lou/Tony Gale etc)

Win some, lose some. Elation, depression. Seldom boring.

Sorry have not met John Cheever but have staggered through H Mantel WOOLF HALL
A difficult read tho well researched. Might send a copy to Sir Roy for
his book club.

Dreading reaction of tired limbs and minds v Man City and Spurs but
looking fwd to Larkin about in Larkin land next Saturday.

——————————–

RICh

Am off to Hanover and VW XI so happy to send report from those parts

NOT going to WHL
Went there for the Bazza Hayles show when we won 3-0 and I vowed never to return

TV for the Pensioners who once saw Max Bygraves sing and dance there
before match
We had a good goal disallowed and lost 1-0 only to see replay after
relay with pundit commenting" Bad luck Fulham that looked a good goal"

Cheeveresque?

Peter

——————————–

Busy packing again

Pensioner plus son-in-law plus grandson all aboard for Hanover

Do you have your man in the (VW) van with pen poised?
If not please allow me to send you some lines

Probably from home early Friday unless son-in-law sends you text via his phone

Mood in camp not as positive as I would wish.
Too many fans muttering about the late, late German goal

Wir gegen nach VWΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Fulham, Fulham uber alles

Best wishes
Peter

——————————–

Words in the morning...............

from the V.W.Β  ARENA 8th April 2010

Fergie called it:Β  "Typical Germans"
How right he was – get an away goal, defend that advantage
efficiently, move on to the next round.

Fulham with Teutonic thoroughness disposed of the Geman champions.
One moment of early brilliance from Gera and Zamorra – very early brilliance.
One moment of late brilliance from MS – very late brilliance by a
wonderful goalkeeper.
In the meantime, in between time a thoroughly professional performance
from the whole team.

Davies moved forward to cover for the injured Dempsey and Baird
settled in at right back (very settled)

Difficult to pick our man of the match......BZ or Gera? Gera or BZ?
Easy to identify the most improved player ......Etuhu

Some scores appended as seen from on high in the crow's nest of the V.W. Arena
Those withe benefit of TV close ups and replays may correct these
fading (tear filled) old eyes

MS 9, Baird,7, Hughes 7, Brede 7, Konch 7, Duff 8, Etuhu 7, Murphy 7,
Davies 7, Gera 9, BZ 9.

Final word for the travelling fans – Congratulations.
A huge noise. All the old favourites from the away day songbook, all
the old favourites from the Hammersmith End Hymnal plus long , long
after the final whistle and indeed all the way to Clapham Junction at
0349hrs: "Roy, Roy, Roy.......Roy, Roy, Roy!"

——————————–

Rich
Sorry about the delay
Mrs Pensioner insisted that I take a snooze on reaching the old folks
home in Mortlake
Three generations of the family were there to see it and believe it.
Wir gegen nach Wolsburg, wir gegen nach Hamburg.

White Noise

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies reveals secret to beating Liverpool

By Paul Warburton

May 6 2011

THERE really is no level playing field for the other side at Craven Cottage – ask Simon Davies.

The Fulham midfielder reckons the opposition are up against it taking corner kicks - literally.

To deliver his own, Davies actually runs up a two-foot hill to strike the ball – such is the rise between pitch-side track and flag. And the player admits it took him a while to get used to it.

"You have to run up the hill in a short space that's quite different to working on deliveries at the training ground," he said.

"I played at the Cottage before I joined the club, and it was always very compact with everyone on top of you.

"Of course, we use it to our advantage and teams coming knowing our reputation is good at home."

The 31-year-old is on a high after netting a brace that helped sink Sunderland 3-0 away last Saturday – and is in the mood to inflict more damage on Liverpool this Monday at home.

Davies insists the Reds are there for the taking – especially after a Whites surge that has seen them take seven points from the last nine.

"Too many draws stopped us getting to where we wanted to be before now," he added.

"But the last few games has shot us up the table into the top half.Liverpool are playing with a lot of confidence – and so are we. We'll give them a really good game."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/06/fulham-midfielder-simon-davies-reveals-secret-to-beating-liverpool-64767-28646260/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1LZ3f99gE

White Noise

Final Challenge

Friday 6th May 2011

Mark Hughes spoke of his desire to record the Club's highest ever top flight points tally this season as his Team prepare for the final three matches of the 2010/11 Barclays Premier League season.

Fulham take on Liverpool on Monday night at the Cottage and Hughes believes Fulham's current form, married with the desire and confidence his players have shown in recent weeks, could make this a season to remember.

"We've still got challenges with three games to go," Hughes explained. "If we get maximum points in every game we have left we will achieve the highest point tally that any Fulham side has reached in the Premier League.

"That's a challenge for us and something we'll use as motivation going into these last remaining games. It would have been easy to switch off after the Bolton game to be fair because we were safe but I didn't get an inkling that that was what the players were feeling when we went up against Sunderland. In the second half I thought we were excellent and we took the game away from them.

"We look strong and fresh – the enjoyment in our play is there for everyone to see. We don't look tired, jaded or mentally strained. We look forward to every game we've got left and it's a shame the season is close to finishing because we're really playing some great stuff and getting some positive results.

"We're going into games expecting to play well and expecting to win. Everybody now understands their responsibilities and the demands that are placed on them. They're producing at the moment. It was difficult at the beginning of the season but as we come to the climax of the season we're really pleased with what we've produced. It's about making sure we're still achieving. To finish in the top ten would be outstanding and I've always felt we've got the quality to do that."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/HughesPointsRecord.aspx#ixzz1LZ5Oimvx