News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thankfully , no more Gudjohnson for Fulham debates due to his....

Started by CaliforniaFFC, May 10, 2011, 01:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaliforniaFFC

clearly inept perfomance against a good Premiership team. He is well past it, will not be able to score and does not impact our system of play. I don't like PULIS but he got this one right!

More worrying is that Hughes sees something in him!

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: CaliforniaFFC on May 10, 2011, 01:56:23 AM
clearly inept perfomance against a good Premiership team. He is well past it, will not be able to score and does not impact our system of play. I don't like PULIS but he got this one right!

With you there. Hasnt scored in something like his last 35 or 40 games. Hope he goes for AJ and Bob and brum.

Snibbo

Hmm. Not sure I'd agree. Let's not judge people on this one aberration of a game.  Nobody came out of the match, except Bobby and maybe Clint, with any credit. Gudjohnsen has looked good in recent games. He's not a goalscorer, he's a clever link man.  I don't think he was any worse than Dembele, who, apart from scoring a brilliant goal :-), was anonymous, including a trademark mishit shot.  Think EG is worth having in the squad - he would have been very useful when Bobby was out with his broken leg.

fulhamguy

Said it before and i'll say it again.... he is no centre forward.

He drops so deep its untrue. He's a centre midfielder these days. He has a good footballing brain and can pick out a pass. No centre forward but a good player to have in the squad as a midfielder.
COYW!

sipwell

I must say that I am equally not too impressed by Gudjohnson. Each time he is substituted, Fulham seemingly play better.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

TheInsider

Well I've heard that we're close to signing him on a permanent deal. But that was before last night.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Last night highlights the lack in dept up front - No BZ and then there is no real alternative.  Dembele is noit a striker.  I am not sure what he is but striker he isn't.  AJ is just like like Suarez but without any of the skill / pace and goalscoring ability...

I think we need 2 strikers and a left back and a better right back, with Baird as a utility cover player.

We also need a new Murphy.  Luckiliy we already have Stockdale...

Jack Fulham

So write him off after one bad performance?

The whole team didn't perform last night. Quite happy to keep Eidur. Bobby will deffo start next game though.

richie17

but gudjohnson's played exceedingly well in the last two matches.  Now he's rubbish is he?  Good stuff...

MrFFC

Get a grip you fickle sod Gudjohnson was poor yesterday but whole team was poor he is a good player would like to see us keep him next year
Come on you Whites!! :)

Peabody

Here we go again, does this remind you of Bobby Zamoras early days as a Fulham player. How many on here and in other boards were demanding that we get rid of him because he does'nt score goals. Now we have attacks on another player. Don't you lot ever learn, they were wrong then and you are wrong now. Eidur will come good and make you all look silly again.

Scrumpy

Quote from: CaliforniaFFC on May 10, 2011, 01:56:23 AM

Nothing like a knee-jerk reaction eh? I actually think that Eidur and Bobby are our best forward combination. They were excellent at Sunderland - really looked like a pair that knew exactly how to play together in the Premiership. I think we should sign him up.

Presumably Hughes has a little more experience at these things than you do. So I'll rely on his judgement on this one, thanks.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

CaliforniaFFC

In response, I have always liked Zamora despite his lack of goals in previous seasons due to his all around benefit for the team.
I have not been enamoured by the Gudjohnson signing since day. Dembele is young and full of potential. AJ is a busy boy running up the cul-de-sac but can score us the odd goal or even create one. Yeah we need another good striker but who doesn't. Gudjohnsen is not my choice.
And Scrumpy, my comment on experience is two letters .. LS    Ha!Ha!

richie17

What did you think of his performances against Bolton and Sunderland then, a pair of 3-0 wins?  No good?

It occurs to me that a player with a Chelsea, Barcelona, Monaco etc pedigree is probably worth a gamble, and sure enough, it's not hard to see the talent.  Clearly he's not that good now or he'd still be at a bigger club, but for our purposes he's a nice alternative to Zamora, which is important because frankly nobody else in the team can perform the role.   Very handy backup player, good man to have about the place too I assume.

TonyGilroy

There's no point having a message board if we can't express opinions but the downside is that most will be abject, uninformed bollox my own included.

The problem is that we see only match day performances. Against Bolton and Sunderland you could see Gudjohnsen's abilities and could hope that with regular play in a good environment he'd get closer to what he was at his peak. He, like everyone else though, was crap against Liverpool.

Hughes, unlike us, knows his level of fitness, attitude, desire to perform, contractual demands, how he interacts with the squad and how he fits into his plans. We know none of that.

I think that in Hughes we have a manager who knows what he's doing and on that basis his judgement is more valid than ours.

My uninformed guess is that Gudjohnsen will be a significant success next season surprising some in the same way that Duff has.

richie17

One interesting thing: I've heard at least two commentators questioning his desire. Do they know something we don't, or is this just because he's taken a drop in status and been a stoke reserve?

TonyGilroy

Matt

Quote from: richie17 on May 10, 2011, 08:57:04 AM
but gudjohnson's played exceedingly well in the last two matches.  Now he's rubbish is he?  Good stuff...
You're never better than your recent performance, are you? Agree with you, sir!
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

Duncs

To put something out there - could he be groomed as a replacement of Murphy?
Quote from: fulhamaustin on May 10, 2011, 07:21:28 AM

He drops so deep its untrue. He's a centre midfielder these days. He has a good footballing brain and can pick out a pass. No centre forward but a good player to have in the squad as a midfielder.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Duncs on May 12, 2011, 10:16:25 AM
To put something out there - could he be groomed as a replacement of Murphy?
Quote from: fulhamaustin on May 10, 2011, 07:21:28 AM

They're the same age aren't they? I'd prefer Huggy Baird anyway.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc